Splendidly Enlightened Dreams... So What?

It's part of the learning process but is not the learning process as a whole. A huge part of learning takes place while not sleeping.

Thats what dream content is. If there is a problem with some people's association with the word then they might want to seek some help in dealing with their issue.

It's part of the learning process but is not the learning process as a whole. A huge part of learning takes place while not sleeping. Thats what dream content is. If there is a problem with some people's association with the word then they might want to seek some help in dealing with their issue.

hal·lu·ci·na·tion /həˌlusəˈneɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[huh-loo-suh-ney-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a sensory experience of something that does not exist outside the mind, caused by various physical and mental disorders, or by reaction to certain toxic substances, and usually manifested as visual or auditory images.
2. the sensation caused by a hallucinatory condition or the object or scene visualized.
3. a false notion, belief, or impression; illusion; delusion.

I don't have an 'issue'. I think your use was misleading. The word carries the connotation of being abnormal, something one expreriences because of problems. I hand you back your unneccesary sarcasm.

hal·lu·ci·na·tion /həˌlusəˈneɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[huh-loo-suh-ney-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a sensory experience of something that does not exist outside the mind, caused by various physical and mental disorders, or by reaction to certain toxic substances, and usually manifested as visual or auditory images.
2. the sensation caused by a hallucinatory condition or the object or scene visualized.
3. a false notion, belief, or impression; illusion; delusion.

I don't have an 'issue'. I think your use was misleading. The word carries the connotation of being abnormal, something one expreriences because of problems. I hand you back your unneccesary sarcasm.

That's probably an old-school dictonary.com definition that automatically presumes hallucination the result of a mental disorder. More current definitions are:

"Hallucination is a sensory perception experienced in the absence of an external stimulus, as distinct from an illusion, which is a misperception of an external stimulus. Hallucinations may occur in any sensory modality—visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive."

That's probably an old-school dictonary.com definition that automatically presumes hallucination the result of a mental disorder. More current definitions are:

"Hallucination is a sensory perception experienced in the absence of an external stimulus, as distinct from an illusion, which is a misperception of an external stimulus. Hallucinations may occur in any sensory modality—visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, proprioceptive, equilibrioceptive, nociceptive, thermoceptive."

I looked in some up to date physical dictionaries where I couldn't have online cut and pasted and most definitions fit nicely with dictionary.com. Also even neutral ones like yours still tended to be referring to waking state experiences. In other words out of the ordinary experiences, often in ONE sensory modality. But given that I now understand how you thought of it neutrally I can reread your original post and see you did not mean it in the sense I first took it.

I looked in some up to date physical dictionaries where I couldn't have online cut and pasted and most definitions fit nicely with dictionary.com. Also even neutral ones like yours still tended to be referring to waking state experiences. In other words out of the ordinary experiences, often in ONE sensory modality. But given that I now understand how you thought of it neutrally I can reread your original post and see you did not mean it in the sense I first took it.

Hmmm. I looked around and found similar results; however, I also looked at encyclopedic resources and found concensus with the neutral definition. Regardless, dreams do fit the profile of hallucination just fine with the neutral defintion.

Back