Spiders

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
I like spiders, they are neat, independent, they lead the perfect fisherman's life.

Some of them are beautiful

red-kneed-tarantula.jpg

This spider has to be my favorite, ever since I saw one in her web when I was stationed on Okinawa:
heather-banana-spider.jpg

They are Giant Wood spiders but they're also called Banana Spiders and Golden orb spiders. As you can see, they're pretty big, and their webs can cover an area as big as a bed sheet.
http://www.apestcontrol.com/pests/default.asp?action=spider&pesttype=spider_wood

Then there's this little bastard, the REAL banana spider, or the Brazilian Wandering spider:
Phoneutria-nigriventer.jpg

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-fera.html

If you're ever in Brazil and you see one of these, kill it or avoid it.

This spider has to be my favorite, ever since I saw one in her web when I was stationed on Okinawa:
heather-banana-spider.jpg

They are Giant Wood spiders but they're also called Banana Spiders and Golden orb spiders. As you can see, they're pretty big, and their webs can cover an area as big as a bed sheet.
http://www.apestcontrol.com/pests/default.asp?action=spider&pesttype=spider_wood

Wow! It is beautiful; I haven't seen this one.

Then there's this little bastard, the REAL banana spider, or the Brazilian Wandering spider:
Phoneutria-nigriventer.jpg

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-fera.html

If you're ever in Brazil and you see one of these, kill it or avoid it.

I'll avoid it.

I had the good luck in India of knowing someone who knew of Konark Park, a private aviary, the collection of Dr Suhas Jog, who has collected birds from all over the world and created a natural environment for them. Its almost a religious experience seeing the birds, they are soooooo gorgeous! (no photography permitted :()

Anyway, at this aviary he has created a tropical jungle with many many flowering plants and I saw a small translucent buttercup yellow spider; it was sitting on a flower of the same color and was practically invisible. It looked like a jewel and I've never come across it again.

yeah i know, we dont see many big spiders in uk, i wish we did though, those independant things,

im glad we dont have huge spiders here, especialy lethal ones. and if one of these south american bird eating bastards jumped on me i would scream like a little girl.

no fucking way would i want that on me. you cant even step on the bastard, you would need a fricken gun.

Chicken-eating-spider.jpg

look how big this mother is.
goliath-spider.jpg

peace.

I agree. I find these to be worse. All those creepy legs.

millipede_redleg_1.jpg

is that thing even real? it looks kinda plastic. weird leg colour too. thats a millipede right?, they are not as bad as centipedes. they can grow huge and have dangerous bites.

i would rather fight a wolf than have this on me.
_41069480_centipede_pa_ok2.jpg

peace.

Oh God!!! I'd rather fight a wolf and you than have that thing on me.

Its real. Its a red legged millipede.

Oh God!!! I'd rather fight a wolf and you than have that thing on me.

Its real. Its a red legged millipede.

the millipede is kinda cute though :), look at his little head its sweet. but that centipede is a montrous beast. they kind of make me sick just looking at them.

i think i would prefer to eat that bird eating spider than even touch the centipede. but that little spider enmos posted was really cute. like a little pokemon, you know the one i mean, the little fuzzball one with big eyes, thats my fav one so far, i want one.

peace.

is that thing even real? it looks kinda plastic. weird leg colour too. thats a millipede right?, they are not as bad as centipedes. they can grow huge and have dangerous bites.

i would rather fight a wolf than have this on me.
_41069480_centipede_pa_ok2.jpg

peace.

You beat me to it Chi. Yes, that's a millipede in the first pic. Millipedes are more or less harmless.
I was just going to post a pic of the centipede. You are absolutely correct. Centipedes, especially the one in the pic, are nasty little bastards. They have a much higher 'scream like a little bitch' factor than those bird eating spiders. I'd have an epileptic seizure if one of those 'pedes got on me.

Scorpions are another nasty little group. *shivers and shudders*

You beat me to it Chi. Yes, that's a millipede in the first pic. Millipedes are more or less harmless.
I was just going to post a pic of the centipede. You are absolutely correct. Centipedes, especially the one in the pic, are nasty little bastards. They have a much higher 'scream like a little bitch' factor than those bird eating spiders. I'd have an epileptic seizure if one of those 'pedes got on me.

Scorpions are another nasty little group. *shivers and shudders*

yeah im glad we dont get them here, do you guys have centipedes? thats one thing i like about england. you havent got to check in your shoes and bed every day for little bastards.

my friend used to have this big black scorpion and i never liked it. i always kept checking the tank to make sure it was still in there lol. it looked mean, still had its stinger too.

peace.

yeah im glad we dont get them here, do you guys have centipedes? thats one thing i like about england. you havent got to check in your shoes and bed every day for little bastards.

my friend used to have this big black scorpion and i never liked it. i always kept checking the tank to make sure it was still in there lol. it looked mean, still had its stinger too.

peace.

No centipedes like the ones you posted above, but we have smaller, harmless versions like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede
They still look creepy as fuck.
We have small scorpions here.

The reptile store here has the big centipedes and scorpions. They are cool to look at in their cages but I wouldn't want one roaming free in my house.
My bearded dragon is about as exotic as I'm going to get with pets.

No centipedes like the ones you posted above, but we have smaller, harmless versions like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede
They still look creepy as fuck.
We have small scorpions here.

The reptile store here has the big centipedes and scorpions. They are cool to look at in their cages but I wouldn't want one roaming free in my house.
My bearded dragon is about as exotic as I'm going to get with pets.

we have little centipedes and millipdes like that. they usualy hide under rocks. we dont have scorpions though, but we do have these little scorpion like insects that are very small and black, they have a stinger tail that rears up, but no front claws.

does anybody know what they are called? i used to see them all the time when i was a kid, but i havent seen one in years. they are small scorpion like beetles, about 1 inch big. quite chunky for the length, without claws and black. i have no idea what they are named. me and my friends always used to call them scorpion beetles.

peace.

Back