Special Relativity

You continue to make the false assumption that simultaneous measurements in one frame correspond to simultaneous measurements in all other frames. Observer O sees a light beam reach point R at time t, and records the arrival of O' at -vd/c also at time t. According to frame O', these events and associated measurements occur at different times. Your analysis simply doesn't work, because if you want to find a contradiction in Relativity then you have to play by the rules.

LT does the same thing. That is what I showed you.

However, if you are going to suggest SR cannot conclude this type of distance measurement, then you must say that is not logically decidable under SR.

This implies there is a simple problem in motion and measurement that SR cannot answer and thus, SR is an incomplete theory.

Also, if you conclude this, then I will break LT and prove its claims are not logically decidable.

I think I know what you're getting at Jack, I've had a thread like this before.

Imagine that this fiber optics cable is enormous and that you can hitch a ride on it through space. It is extended and has a mirror on its end, so it is a lot like one of your rods.

Putting much of the discussion aside- this is what you will have going on inside the cable. If you are riding the cable (assuming that the cable is moving at a relativistic speed), light will travel back and forth through the cable in the same amount of time. But if you are observing this cable from a stationary frame, light will take less time to travel in one direction than another.

To someone in a stationary frame light may take only 1/10 of a second to travel in one direction through the cable and then 10 seconds to travel back. However, to the person travelling alongside the cable it will still take the same amount of time going in both directions.

It doesn't make any sense to me either.. Its as if time was dilated differently between two different intervals - this is at least what it seems like intuitively. DH is right, simultaneity is relative (it depends on your reference frame).

Stroboscopic. Light stationary at every point of reference, and it's movement is an illusion of spacing. The physics for this would be collision.. pass the photon. Newton's cradle with light.

sorry.. I was just thinking, and find it hard not to post my thoughts, maybe as a reminder to myself.

Last edited:
Back