Spacetime Explained

No, it means $$V \propto \frac{1}{T}$$. If you drive twice as fast you complete a set journey in half the time. If you take triple the amount of time you drove one third the speed. BUT that doesn't mean [tec]V = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]. Otherwise distance would not come into the definition of velocity, would it? D = VT so $$V = \frac{D}{T}$$. If you have to drive twice as far in the same time you need to drive twice the speed.

The units don't even match. The units of time is 'seconds'. The units of velocity are metres per second. The units of 1/T is 'per second'. So $$V= \frac{1}{T}$$ is wrong by dimensional analysis. An inverse relationship between A and B means $$A = \frac{k}{B}$$ for some quantity k which may or may not have units and other dependencies. $$A = \frac{10}{B}$$ results in A and B having an inverse relationship yet they do not satisfy $$A = \frac{1}{B}$$.

It would seem you did sleep through physics class.
Anything with mass.
That's why the formulas are incorrect. The faster the observer moves, the slower time flows. Thus, at C, time must be 0. Thus D/0 = C which is a paradox. But not really because the whole concept of V=D/T is ineffective. It doesn't work. Furthermore, we will never figure out how spacetime works as long as we appreach matters using ineffective models.

Sigh.

The only things that can move at the speed of light are massless elementary particles such as photons. Photons are not "observers".

Observers have non-zero mass. They cannot travel at the speed of light, which is an absolute (and the only absolute) in special relativity.

Suppose a crewmember on a non-accelerating spaceship who looks at the spaceship's clock. That person will see the clock as moving at normal speed, regardless of the spaceship's velocity with respect to something else.

Suppose two spaceships start at relative rest. Each spacecraft transmits the time registered on that spacecraft's clock to the other spacecraft. The spacecraft accelerate away from each other for a bit and then drift apart at a constant velocity. Crewmembers on each spacecraft will now perceive the other spacecraft's clock as running slower than their own. It doesn't matter which spacecraft did the accelerating. Each perceives the other's clock as running slow.

Neither.
How fast does MY clock go according to ME if I am travelling at C?

Re-read his post: he has the observer as the mover.

That's why the formulas are incorrect. The faster the observer moves, the slower time flows. Thus, at C, time must be 0. Thus D/0 = C which is a paradox. But not really because the whole concept of V=D/T is ineffective. It doesn't work. Furthermore, we will never figure out how spacetime works as long as we appreach matters using ineffective models.

Dywyddyr, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming the error to be semantics. Turns out he is a crack pot, no offense to you intended.

If a ball is traveling at C. And I am right behind it traveling towards it

BARP! EPIC FAIL!

If the ball is moving at C, well, how do you know which direction you are moving in? The total sum of velocity between you and it can be C, and you can only detect your own acceleration, not your speed.

This is the whole point about reference frames, which you don't seem to grasp.

Of course, you can't move towards it, if it is moving at C, as that would require you to exceed C. You can maintain your distance from it, but not move towards it. Unless you meant moving in the same direction?

Last edited:
The faster an observer travels, the slower time moves in reference to the observer. V = D/T. But V and T have an inverse relationship. Let's imagine that V has a direct inverse relationship with time. Thus, V = 1/T.

Oh dear. Why should D=1? Why not 2 or 3.5 or $$\pi$$?

Oh dear. Why should D=1? Why not 2 or 3.5 or $$\pi$$?
D must equal 1 because T and V have an inverse relationship.

How does Dywyddyr's clock know it is moving at C, and not that other objects in the vicinity are moving away from it at C?
From the frame of reference of the observer, the observer is standing still. Thus, from the frame of reference of the clock, the clock is standing still.

How do you reconcile that comment with this one?

My clock always reads the same to me.
When the observer is traveling at C, he observers no change in time. There is no observation of any sort of chronological motion. This means if the observer departs at C speed, 0 seconds pass for him when he hits his destination. In fact, in his FOR, he is not moving at all. Thus, it took 0 seconds for his destination to travel to him at C speed.

D must equal 1 because T and V have an inverse relationship.
T and V have a relationship depending on D.

When the observer is traveling at C, he observers no change in time.
Wrong.
The observer sees no difference at all in the rate of passage of time. His clock runs normally as far as he's concerned: an hour is an hour is an hour.

. V = D/T. But V and T have an inverse relationship. Let's imagine that V has a direct inverse relationship with time. Thus, V = 1/T.

No. You said:

. Let's imagine that V has a direct inverse relationship with time. Thus, V = 1/T.

So D = 1 because 1 = D.

Surely, you agree, you're being circular?

T and V have a relationship depending on D.

Wrong.
The observer sees no difference at all in the rate of passage of time. His clock runs normally as far as he's concerned: an hour is an hour is an hour.
The observer always sees time flow at the same pace. But when traveling at C, Time isn't flowing, so the observer doesn't see a second pass. He simply arrives at his destination the moment he left.

No. You said:

So D = 1 because 1 = D.

Surely, you agree, you're being circular?
Yes. It's circular.

The observer always sees time flow at the same pace. But when traveling at C, Time isn't flowing, so the observer doesn't see a second pass. He simply arrives at his destination the moment he left.
Sheer nonsense.
At what point does "time stop flowing" for him?
Where do the equations show this?

Sheer nonsense.
At what point does "time stop flowing" for him?
At C. What exactly do you think is happening to an observer's clock when he is traveling at a vast distance through space at C? If I travel from earth at C speed, and land 100 light years away, not a second will have passed for me.

Why? How?

What exactly do you think is happening to an observer's clock when he is traveling at a vast distance through space at C?
According to the traveller it's going at the usual rate.

If I travel from earth at C speed, and land 100 light years away, not a second will have passed for me.
Wrong.
One more time:
Where do the equations show this?

From the frame of reference of the observer, the observer is standing still. Thus, from the frame of reference of the clock, the clock is standing still.
I'm standing still now (in my own reference frame), why isn't my clock?

According to the traveller it's going at the usual rate.
What usual rate? When time slows down, the traveler cannot notice, so it's always going at its usual rate. At C, time is 0. The observer perceives no movement. At what other rate will the observer perceive his clock movie when traveling at C? Are proclaiming that a year will go by for the observer if he has travelled 1 lightyear away?

What usual rate? When time slows down, the traveler cannot notice, so it's always going at its usual rate.
So is it slowing down or going at its usual rate?

At C, time is 0. The observer perceives no movement.
Wrong.

At what other rate will the observer perceive his clock movie when traveling at C?
One second per second... My clock runs normally for me.
One more time:
I'm stationary now, why is my clock still running?

So is it slowing down or going at its usual rate?

Wrong.

One second per second... My clock runs normally for me.
One more time:
I'm stationary now, why is my clock still running?
In refeference to the observer, the clock is always moving at its usual rate. So if the observer is traveling faster, he notices his clock ticking the same rate. But in relation to another clock that isn't moving, his clock is moving slower. At C speed, he notices no movement of time because he is chronologically frozen. Meanwhile, the clock outside has moved 1 year when he travels 1 lightyear away.

In refeference to the observer, the clock is always moving at its usual rate. So if the observer is traveling faster, he notices his clock ticking the same rate.
Doesn't agree with -
At C speed, he notices no movement of time because he is chronologically frozen.
Or are you claiming that his clock has the same rate until exactly C?
Why?

Meanwhile, the clock outside has moved 1 year when he travels 1 lightyear away.
Which clock?

Or are you claiming that his clock has the same rate until exactly C?
No. I am saying that when he travels at C, his own clock is completely stopped. There is no timeflow for an observer moving at C. In one moment, I am departing, in the next moment, I have arrived.

No. I am saying that when he travels at C, his own clock is completely stopped. There is no timeflow for an observer moving at C. In one moment, I am departing, in the next moment, I have arrived.
That's what I said you're suggesting.
You've already stated that he sees time running regularly while moving fast
So if the observer is traveling faster, he notices his clock ticking the same rate.
And then you claim it stops completely at C.
Why?
How?
Where's the maths to show this?
(By the way, you won't find any, because you're wrong).

Back