South Korean Hostages are Presbyterians

Kadark,

Does the Qur’an have a flood myth that involves a certain person we call Noah in English? Is this story of significance to you? While the Qur’anic story is different than the Judaic one, I would consider it 100% rewrite. Does that make sense? Do you agree? The flood theme is copied and the characters are mainly the same just the details are different. It’d be like copying Harry Potter and having Wizards and a School for Wizards but changing the story about Harry a little. Even adding completely new adventures.

It’s still copying.
Are we agreed?

The Islamic flood myth was copied from the Jewish mythos and is of polytheistic Babylonian in origin. It’s based on the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Do you agree with this?

Michael

Here this is interesting and as an apologist is pretty consistant:LiberalIslam

As a myth, the flood story gains the flexibility to be directly applied to the circumstances of the Muslim community; and in this way it is more useful than history. Conservatives will be alarmed at this conclusion, because they have always declared that the Qur'anic stories must be historically true. But this is simply not necessary. The truth of the Qur'an in religious terms should be determined by whether or not its stories are morally true, not historically true.

It is obvious to a christian. We don't know what is best, but our Father in heaven does.

So if your prayers fail and these people die, it's because god thought their death was the best thing for them? K.

The headlines continue to tell us about christians being used as pawns to negotiate the release of taliban prisoners. After googling the headlines for a while, I found they are a humanitarian team from a presbyterian church in South Korea. Their pastor has already been killed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/ap_on_re_as/afghanistan

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...als.for.urgent.prayers.for.hostages/12060.htm

They do need christian prayer. They went to Afghanistan to supply humanitarian support for that war-torn country and now they are prisoners. They were not breaking any of the laws there in Afganistan, or any of the religious customs. They were simply there to help.

They were warned by the travel authorities before they went, but they said their calling as a church body requires them to go in harm's way. This team has served in several countries that needed their help. Now they need help. Please pray for them, those that believe in God.

Thank you.

Also please remember that more christians are dieing in service NOW than has ever occured in the history of the church. This is the word I am getting from the missionary authorities.

Yes the talaban are true to islam. But in the end God is true to his Word.

And God's protection does not mean protection from muslims or any other anti-christs out there. The security God offers is the eternal security with him in eternity. So the mulsims can hack the heads of all of these people and their eternal existance is still secure with God. :)

Luke 9
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I really do feel sorry for these Koreans. Many Korean people live sheltered lives and have no clue about the real world. I`m sure their Preacher was trying to do a good thing but really they should have never entered a Muslim country. Why didn:t they go to Africa where their help would have been appreciated.

Do you know that Afghanistan is poorer than most African countries? Do you know that they have suffered almost 30 years of constant war? Of all the African countries maybe only Zimbabwe is in a worse condition than Afghanistan.

Jesus calls on us to love our enemies. If we just offer help to those who appreciate it or give help only to our friends then are we any better than the rest of the world? We offer assistance to the ones who hate us and would have us killed because that is the love of God. When they murder the ones who come to them in love they put a curse upon themselves.

Romans 12
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“ If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

So if your prayers fail and these people die, it's because god thought their death was the best thing for them? K.

A prayer never fails if God hears it. Gods decision is his. The success of a praying is not determined by the outcome.

A prayer never fails if God hears it. Gods decision is his. The success of a praying is not determined by the outcome.

Sounds like an excuse for when a prayer isn't answered. God didn't answer it because it was his plan. And if by some chance that tumor goes away (thanks radiation) or your broken leg heals (thanks doctors), then it was God watching out for you. It's a win-win! I like it.

Lame.

The theists security clause: If it don't work, it does work.

Needless to say, the exact same thing applies to anything - even my cup of tea. I pray to my cup of tea - sometimes I get what I ask for, sometimes I don't. When I don't, it's not that my cup of tea has failed but that ultimately the cup of tea knows best. The success of praying to a cup of tea is not determined by the outcome.

Ok, so what is 'success' determined by if not the outcome?

I think the main thing to remember here is that they are held hostage for political reasons.

Some here also struggle with the concept of free will, amongst other things.

I think the main thing to remember here is that they are held hostage for political reasons.

Some here also struggle with the concept of free will, amongst other things.

No way. LOL The muslims made sure that they quickly killed the pastor in the group. Why did they kill the Pastor? Because he was a Christian minister that's why. Politics has very little to do with it. Only last year they where going to execute a guy for embracing the message of Jesus. And he was going to be executed by the American backed authorities in Afghanistan not the talaban.

So blood thirsty islam is central to these people. They even named one of their most important mountain ranges hindukush. hundukush means Hindu killer. There are no more hindu's in the hindukush and the local muslims are proud of that and the way their forefathers went about achieving that.

I wonder if the European Alps will one day be called Kafirkush?

Really Adstar, you should qualify your statements:

Nomenclature

The name Hindu Kush is usually applied to the whole of the range separating the basins of the Kabul and Helmand rivers from that of the Amu Darya (or ancient Oxus), or more specifically, to that part of the range to the northwest of Kabul.

[edit] Greek

Alexander the Great conquered the region in 329 BC and it was called the Καύκασος Ινδικός or Caucasus Indicus by the Greek historians with Alexander the Great. Thus meaning 'Mountain of the Indus'. This name was used until recently by Historians worldwide. Greeks remained as rulers, administrators, or scribes in the region for many centuries. See Greco-Bactrian. It was also referred to by the Greeks as the "Paropamisos."

[edit] Arabic and Persian

In Arabic, the name means Mountains of India or Mountains of the Indus (from the Indus River)[1]. In some of the Iranian languages that are still spoken in the region; that furthermore, many peaks, mountains, and related places in the region have "Kosh" or "Kush" in their names. In the Persian language of the Sassanian period, Hindu referred to any inhabitant of Indian subcontinent (Hindustan), or Hind, rather than to followers of Hinduism as it does now. The name is also said to be a corruption of Hindu Koh, from the (modern) Persian word Kuh, meaning mountain. Rennell, writing in 1793, refers to the range as the "Hindoo-Kho or Hindoo-Kush".[citation needed]

[edit] Sanskrit

Sanskrit documents refer Hindukush as Pāriyatra Parvat. Also that the name is a corruption of Hindu-Kusha, where "kusha" in Sanskrit meens "seat". Hence it translates to 'The Seat of the Hindus'.[2]

[edit] Folk Etymology
The factual accuracy of this section is disputed.
Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page

There are others who consider this origin to be a "folk etymology", and put forward alternate possibilities for its origin[citation needed]:

* The origin of the term "Hindu Kush" (and whether it translates as "Killer of Hindu") is a point of contention. The earliest known use of this name was by the famous Muslim Berber traveller, Ibn Battūta (circa 1334), who wrote: "Another reason for our halt was fear of the snow, for on the road there is a mountain called Hindūkūsh, which means "Slayer of Indians," because the slave boys and girls who are brought from Hind (India) die there in large numbers as a result of the extreme cold and the quantity of snow."
* that the name is a corruption of Caucasus Indicus, a name by which the Hindu Kush range was known in the ancient world after its conquest by Alexander the Great in the Fourth Century BC. Greek rule in the Hindu Kush region lasted over three centuries, and was followed by the rule of a dynasty known, significantly, as the Kushan. In its early period, the Kushan Empire had its capital near modern-day Kabul. Later, when the Hindu Kush region became part of the Sassanian Empire, it was ruled by a satrap known as the Kushan-shah (ruler of Kushan).[citation needed]
* In modern Persian, the word "Kush" is derived from the verb Kushtan - to defeat, kill, or subdue. This could be interpreted as a memorial to the South Asian captives who perished in the mountains while being transported to other Central Asian slave markets.
* that the name refers to the last great 'killer' mountains to cross when moving between the Afghan plateau and the Indian subcontinent, named after the toll it took on anyone crossing them.
* that the name is a posited Avestan appellation meaning "water mountains."[citation needed]
* that the name is a corruption of Hind-o Kushan, containing the name of the Kushan dynasty that once ruled this region for more than three centuries.

Back