Souls/spirits do not exist - hence religions are irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatsup,

I hope you realize that Spinoza's God (quoted in your post by Einstein) has nothing to do with the Christian god. Spinoza was significantly opposed to Christianity and in his time was considered an atheist. Spinoza saw God as nature, an eternal universe that had no creator, that was controled by order and harmony. This was the vision that Einstein shared.

Like I was saying, I dont care about your translation with his words, you can twist it, lie, and change it however you want.

But the fact is, Einstein admits to believing in God, but with his own concept, not christianity's concept, that doesnt matter, FACT IS HE SAID IT HIMSELF THAT HE BELIEVES IN GOD, EVEN IF GOD TO HIM IS A SPIRIT THAT REVEALS HIMSELF IN THE EXISTENCE AND ORDER OF NATURE, THE WORD "GOD" DOESNT MEAN "NO GOD" OK? IF YOU THINK "I BELIEVE IN GOD" MEANS "I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD", THEN I SUGGEST YOU NEED SOME FORM OF PSYCHIATRIC HELP, OR EXORCISM....TO ME "I BELIEVE IN GOD" MEANS "I BELIEVE IN GOD", AND IM SORRY IF MY UNDERSTANDING OF THESE IS DIFFERENT FROM YOURS....

Cris, Please see my theory on the human soul
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10661
That link is the details but the general idea is that the soul is a residue image of the pattern of nerves that make up our nervous system. Either physical or energy this pattern survives even when the origin doesn't.

Like a fossil where all the organic nature has completely gone yet the shape remains.

whatsup,

But the fact is, Einstein admits to believing in God, but with his own concept, not christianity's concept, that doesnt matter,
Yes it does, because nature is not a spirit, the laws of physics do not constitute a spirit. These are Christian concepts that Einstein rejected. You cannot agree that he doesn’t support the Christian concept and try to say he does.

THE WORD "GOD" DOESNT MEAN "NO GOD" OK?
Atheism is defined as a disbelief in a god or gods. Einstein had no belief in the Christian god, hence he was an atheist from a Christian perspective.

IF YOU THINK "I BELIEVE IN GOD" MEANS "I DONT BELIEVE IN GOD",
For Einstein it means he believes in the order and harmony of nature, in which he firmly rejects and disbelieves in the Christian god.

"Einstein's "religion" as he often explained it, was an attitude of cosmic awe and wonder and a devout humility before the harmony of nature, rather than a belief in a personal God who is able to control the lives of individuals. He refered to this "belief" as "cosmic religion." It is incompatible with the doctrines of all theistic religions in its denial of a personal God who punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous."

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

"If God created the world, his primary concern was certainly not to make its understanding easy for us."

"The main source of the present-day conflicts between the spheres of religion and science lies in the concept of a personal God."

Source: The Expanded Quotable Einstein

whatsup,

TO ME "I BELIEVE IN GOD" MEANS "I BELIEVE IN GOD", AND IM SORRY IF MY UNDERSTANDING OF THESE IS DIFFERENT FROM YOURS....
But more importantly your perspective of a god is totally different from that of Einstein. You and Einstein are using the same word “God” to describe two entirely different concepts.

Hobbes,

Okidoki I'll take a look. But its just turned midnight now so it will have to be tomorrow.

But please read my long post that Boris wrote.

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit WHO REVEALS HIMSELF in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds."- Albert Einstein...

Again, Einstein doesnt believe in the idea of God as those who reward and punishes, THE GUY ISNT RELIGIOUS BUT A SCIENTIST....HE REJECTS THAT IDEA OF GOD, BUT HE DOES BELIEVE OF GOD CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT NATURE IS IN LAW AND ORDER, AND HE REJECTS "CHANCE" AS AN EXPLANATION OF NATURE, THEREFORE HE IS NOT AN ATHEIST...A FACT...

HE SAID "I BELIEVE IN GOD", IN HIS OWN PERSONAL CONCEPT HOWEVER, HOW DOES THAT MEAN HE IS AN ATHEIST? THATS WHY THE CATHOLICS OR OTHER CHRISTIAN VIEW HIM AS AN AGNOSTIC OR AN ATHEIST BECAUSE OF THAT, BUT HE DOES BELIEVE IN GOD...PERIOD....

And what is a christian God? Christian means "Disciple of Christ", in other words "Student of Christ"...Jesus christ teaches us to love all regardless of religion, race, nationality (gentiles or jews, women or men, enemies or friends, Love all unconditionally, in painfull times and in goodtimes, "Theres is no love greater than he who will lay his life down for another man"- Jesus)...He is famous for that, no other so called religion or god(s) is as profound as Jesus....
A CHRISTIAN GOD DOESNT REJECT EINSTEIN'S GOD IF HIS GOD TEACHES MORALITY AND LOVING ALL HUMAN KIND, WITH VIRTUES....

http://www.innovativart.com/einstein.html

check the webpage out, it has the ORIGINAL QUOTE of Einstein, dont listen and read his quote from the atheist web pages such as "Positiveatheism.com", and dont listen to their translation either, they want him to look like an atheist so that they can say only intelligent peeps are atheist, when they are very well wrong, 99% of the universities are founded By christians and 100% of the presidents are believers of God and 99% of the world leaders are believers of God, LOOKS LIKE NO ROOM FOR ATHEIST HERE, so they have to lie their way up.
AND CRIS QUOTE OF EINSTEIN IS A LIE, HE DIDNT SAY "A BELIEF OF GOD IS A CHILDLIKE ONE", CRIS ADDED THAT HIMSELF, THE PERSON IS A LIAR (OR HAVE BEEN LIED TO)...I wish I can also lie and do the same, but I cant, its very tempting, but I just cant, my conscience is pulling me back....

Originally posted by Empty Dragon
Can we know anything with absolute certainty?

As Plato said...everything changes, nothing is absolute (is there an absolute? the "Forms"? What we know now will change, so what kind of knowledge do we actually have?

I won't dare to say that the soul/spirit does not exist, but I won't dare say that the soul/spirit does exist. It's simple, I have no proof for either and will not make a premature decision upon my ignorance on the matter.

Cris, we know very little. :)

This thread is amazing.

On one hand, you have an idiotic dialogue concerning Einstein's belief in god that has no relation at all to the topic.

On the other, you have an amazingly thoughout re-post by boris that gives many valid(IMO) reasons why belief in a soul is irrational. Yet, most of the posters are saying they either believe in a soul or are undecided. If that is so, why has nobody touched boris' post? Aren't there some parts you refute? I don't get it.

Hobbes,
Interesting thoughts. I will quote some of your thread here if you do not mind.

First I believe energy only exists as the movement of particles and not as its self.
How would you explain the formation of stars and planets?

My theory goes that a web of ultra small particles line our central nerves system. We already know electrons pass back and forth like a small electrical current. What if some other particles were involved too. This web/pattern of small particles while connected to our nerves system would also be independent of it.
Why can these ultra small particles not be detected?

fading,

On one hand, you have an idiotic dialogue concerning Einstein's belief in god that has no relation at all to the topic.
Yes I agree, and I really didn’t want this thread to be hijacked into a theist/atheist argument again, there are enough of those. And really they are all irrelevant if there is no such thing as a soul.

Chosen,

Cris, we know very little.
In that sense then the argument could come down to one of credibility.

There is so much about the brain that we do not understand and we know it can do some amazing things. All clinical evidence, see Boris’s analysis, point entirely at physical cause and effect. In this light what is the most credible explanation for those areas that we do not yet understand or have not explored –

Is it that there is more to understand about how this complex organ operates –

or

It is all run by a supernatural entity?

To conclude the latter at ths time would be incredibly irresponsible and irrational.

Originally posted by fadingCaptain
Yet, most of the posters are saying they either believe in a soul or are undecided. If that is so, why has nobody touched boris' post? Aren't there some parts you refute? I don't get it.

give me time. i am slow and stupid
rest assured tho that i will not crawl into my grave and simply die like a stinking......thing!

:D

Standard definitions--why trust them in this case?

If your definition of a soul is creative output...well then a soul does indeed exist. However, this is not the standard definition.
Cris ... we're human beings. All of us six billion "souls" on this hallowed rock:

•_... this is not the standard definition: If we were examining the wavelengths that determine "red" to the human eye, some degree of standardization is necessary. However, when it comes to more subjective things ... we're human beings. "Nielsens", Billboard Hot 100, Mr. Blackwell's Worst-Dressed List ... tell me about each in that sense--is the upcoming CBS Victoria's Secret lingerie show really "good" television, as its ratings will imply? Is Britney Spears really a "good" musician compared to a Thom Yorke, Chris Cornell, Rufus Wainwright, or Brian Wilson? Is Mr. Blackwell's list really important at all? Bearing in mind that if you're not careful around a geologist, you might actually argue the "definition" of a pebble, rock, or boulder (there are, in fact, very specific demarcations) ... what is the value of "standard definition"? After all, if we look at Christianity in America, we can see what this "standard definition" of moral beneficence has earned us.

The thing is that I don't assert that we know what the soul is. When I was little, I learned (somewhere) that it was physically stored somewhere in the right side of my abdomen. Amazing, eh?

Hopefully, you can follow this; I almost can't. Last night, Tig (pregnant and due in ... 3 days) mentioned that it was nice to get up and walk around. I smiled and said, "Well, your body wants to live." At which point, she surprised me by making an associative turn I never thought I'd hear from her: Don't all things naturally attempt to return to their ground state?

I know what she's referring to; she learned the idea in a chemistry class when the professor was explaining the layout of the elements in the periodic table.

But I wasn't prepared for the question at all, so I gave her a multivalent (ha!) answer:

• The conversion of fuel into energy in the body constitutes this process
• The decay of the body can be said to constitute this process
•_Life is merely a range of rations of matter and energy, but what makes life self-perpetuating is another mystery entirely.

For the purposes of last night, it was a huge digression, but part of what I slept last night thinking about was that something that makes life self-perpetuating.

This, in and of itself, might be considered a soul. Or, perhaps, the "spark" that makes our self-awareness so different from other animals. Mind you, I expect that these have scientific explanations to a certain satisfactory degree, but I'm having an inner conflict with our tendency to use modern evidence and ideas to condemn old ideas; what happens if we translate the old idea into the modern ...?

What "could" a soul be? Well, the mind-uploaders might have an answer for that question someday. Perhaps it's a strictly bio-electrical phenomenon. I still hold to my conclusion that life is not a chance occurrence but a statistical necessity in the Universe, so it's not as if a soul must be mystical.

If you trust the standard definition of the soul, then the argument freezes there. We doubt everything else about Christianity, for instance ... why not doubt the definition of the soul? Without hostility, sarcasm, or otherwise--for it might be possible to interpret it that way--the result of trusting the Christian definition of the soul in order to argue about it seems more a tool to beat down an idea rather than to explore its possibilities.

Do you trust an ancient, possibly deluded people to define the terms of consideration you award a concept?
Ah yes, then just call me a killjoy
Hardly a problem. You can call me Al. ;)
But, tiassa I was thinking of you when I said those things. I distinctly remember you chastising other members many times for assuming that everyone only talks about the Christian god.
Slightly different, but your point is still taken.

What bugs me is when an atheist who has rejected the Christian god that he or she learned in the world applies that to all Gods, even those they may never have heard of. This is the height of arrogance and contradiction, as it makes the atheist religious.

However, in this case, as I have pointed out above, you're letting people you don't trust set the considerations for the definitions.

In other words: Should someone someday find a "soul", do you really expect that it will look like people have described in religious philosophy?
I was trying to at least meet your request and as stay neutral as I possibly could.
And I do thank you. But is there not a possibility that the limited linguistic scope of the past might stain the present considerations?

Is there any one idea of a soul? No. There are many diverse ideas of what the soul is. If we limit ourselves to the characteristics of any one idea, we limit our scope of inquiry. However, we are also limiting our scope of inquiry if we accept at face value what is said. Jesus touched a man and instructed him to wash in the river, and a skin infection was miraculously healed. Actually, I can do the same thing for myself. It's called sand. Or ask Revlon or Clinique, or anyone who makes exfoliant makeup. Now, we can argue whether or not Jesus had the healing touch, but as such we are trusting the intellectual limitations of the past. But if we discuss whether or not Jesus knew something about that condition and helped someone with that knowledge, the conversation no longer seems incredulous. Admittedly, it takes the wind out of Christianity's sails, but do you or I care if that is the result?

Or: Rise up off your pallet and walk. Have you ever closely watched a faith healer? I'm convinced it's a psychological trip; I can invoke similar states of desperation in people if I try--it's not a pleasant exercise, and experience tells me it's not a good way of going about things. Nonetheless, must we accept for argument that Jesus miraculously healed a paralysis? Or is it easier to believe that "Jesus" (we need not believe him a single entity, but might regard him as a legendary composite) said or did something to snap someone out of a psychiatric condition? (Freud saw a number of "glove paralysis" cases which he tied to sexuality in the Victorian age; a woman masturbates, feels extreme guilt, somehow loses use of her hand in a psychosomatic manifestation of the perceived godly vengeance.)

A man with a limp? How about "Dr. Jesus the Chiropractor"?

What I would ask you to recognize, then, is that as a result of the prevalence of Christianity in our posters' cultures, even non-Christian ideas will be stained by that. Even if we reject the Ten Commandments, you and I might agree that murder is wrong. Why? There is no real objective answer until we understand the "purpose of life", for it may be that murder and war are actually forms of selective breeding and reduction; manifestations of natural selection. Sure, it's grim, but if we pretend otherwise, it's only on faith. Whence comes that faith? We who were raised in the presence of Christian evangelism understand morality through those terms often enough, because even when it wasn't put into the idea of what God says, it was still the "way things were and are".

In addressing the soul, then, I would suggest what I do when addressing the notion of God--retreat to the most basic expressions of the soul and determine what is accreted since. Usually, the reasons for those accretions will be clear in any cursory evaluation of the historical circumstances of the time.
But a spirit world was assumed or hoped for, right? The fact that the emphasis was on other aspects does not dilute my assertions if the final objective was a hope of cheating death.
Poetic expressions of death are common. I would hope to die in a moment of nobility than of neutrality or malice. Is that religious? Perhaps. But I'd rather go down saving my daughter from a rapist than pick up a rifle and die killing Iraqis, for instance.

Beyond that, it is a weird thing; to my experience, it only ever came up when we were asked about it. And sometimes it seems the Summerland and other ideas were merely extended from poor interpretations of terms like Tir na Og, which may come down to a way of saying that one died nobly, as opposed to one going to a noble place. It's all a matter of how much you trust the source to take it literally. I actually take very little at its face value; if I did, I would truly hate people, for most that I know are dishonest and downright mean. But that dishonesty is symptomatic, so I don't take it as a necessary expression of the true self. Likewise, I tend to think of the expressions of the afterlife I found among pagans largely convenient capsules to put it into terms understandable to Christian or other seekers who inquire.
Too seriously? Isn’t it the fundamental goal of such institutions? In Christianity – “believeth in me sayeth the lord and ye shall receive everlasting life”. Isn’t the whole point of being a Christian to achieve immortality? If a soul doesn’t exist then this dream is just that, a dream.
Such a condition, however, seems to necessitate exploration of the soul. Christianity, furthermore, exhibits a prohibitionary, controlling aspect; they've put too much emphasis on determining the objective (?!) classification of the soul, and have failed to celebrate its function.

Would you rather dance to the music, or wonder why the music makes you want to dance? Some days, people just want to dance. But in wondering why they want to dance, they might come up with silly notions like the supremacy of country-western (line-dancing), classical (minuet--an early form of line dancing), Top-40 (must-look-sexy-while dancing), ad nauseam. Some days you just have to dance. And on those days you wonder about why you dance, it is important to bear in mind that other people dance. If you do not, the best you can do is to speculate why you dance. With a better and broader data set, you might find reasons to rationally theorize why anybody dances.

Did you know that, technically, the Charleston is not a dance?
Now you are just a being a pessimist. I hope for more of the human race.
I hope for much more, too. But in the face of mounting evidence, it is hard to turn that hope into faith. In the end, the proof of faith is that we work toward hope.
As we learn more and education improves then I am sure that superstitions will fade.
Do you have faith in family members? Why is it important to be any more tolerant of them than of anyone else? Because they're family? But why? For what objective reason?

In the face of mounting evidence, it is harder and harder for me to maintain faith in certain members of my family. On the one hand, they're offended when I call them selfish. To the other, they're proud to call themselves selfish. What to do?

My faith in them may compel me to endorse inappropriate human conduct. It sucks, but how much do I want to yell at them when nothing else works? After all, they're family. (Which is curious to me because family is a legal term, not a spiritual term in this sense. Spiritually, I do have a family that warrants my trust, but the rosters are different.)
I agree one can’t stop people dreaming and hoping, and we shouldn’t want to stop that, but I would hope that hopes change from beliefs that something must be true because they want it to be true, to one of, it would be nice but we simply don’t know.
I agree, but the problem seems to be one of paradigm. Take a look at the culture immediately around you: it is generally materialistic in the less-than-good sense, and self-centered. How can I be so sure? Well, you're in California, of all places. Cupertino or thereabout, as I recall. Part of what makes the economy tick down there and all over the country is self-centered materialism. How does this seemingly ill-conceived concept become "good"? I think the transformation you describe would directly undermine the general American economic system (I'm not picking on the Valley specifically here, for I live near Microsoft) and thus the finances, which are what people find important. In order to change that condition, something very basic must change about how people measure success and failure, right and wrong, good and bad, self and other in the world. I'm aiming for a paradigm shift. I don't expect to win this one, but if I live my life striving to make things better for others, my life will improve naturally because of the reduction of turbulence in the factors affecting my life. It's a living ... barely. But someone has to try.
From gullibility, irrationality and superstitions, to informed and rational objectivity. Perhaps I am just dreaming that that might occur, but then I am the eternal optimist.
And I heartily hurrah that optimism. I must also encourage it to transcend itself.

To take an extreme example: I don't think George Bush is truly evil. Nothing ever is. But he really thinks he's doing the right thing. In order for him to do what's truly right, even according to his own conscience, he must shake off the fetters of politics, pride, and religion, and start looking at the world from a different perspective.

Now, while nobody at Sciforums really equals that degree of the problem, I think it's a stark enough example to have functional value.

However--patriotism ... what is it but a religious advocacy of one's own nation?

Remember the 1990's, when the Republicans espoused your freedom to be rich above all else? Tell me we don't worship money. Human life considerations are not as important in the decisions that Americans make as monetary considerations. Success is measured by how much you have? And now we live in a world where we're being fascists toward companies if we want them to be honest?! How? Why? The only common link is money.

It used to be that you could get away with rape in Alabama quite easily--rape a poor woman. Why? Because the state wouldn't charge without running a "rape kit", but the state felt no obligation to assist the victims of crime with the $1200 medical expenses involved in getting those results. Things have changed, and that's a positive sign, but everybody likes the dominion and financial advantages that can come from running for political office on an anti-crime platform. You'd think they could have done it originally because it was the right thing to do.

How is it that the right thing can "cost too much"? I live in Seattle, where we just poured a billion dollars into two sports arenas, and while I approve of them, I can't figure out why nobody's willing to spend a billion dollars on education.

Oh ... that's right. Money. What do I mean? We could pitch the arenas as "investments", projecting dollar amounts of future profit. You can't do that with schools.

Thus, as an example, to fix what's wrong with this country, we need to change people's basic perspectives on what is important. I submit the same in addressing the problems of religion.

Most Christians, for instance, don't understand why they believe. Instead of ridiculing them (as people often do) or otherwise making self-examination scary, people should be a little more supportive of one another. Instead of assuming merely that the other guy is out to screw me, why not understand that the other guy is doing the best he can, as well? Doesn't mean I have to let him screw me. But playing the cutthroat only adds another cutthroat to the fray.
Perhaps, but then as atheism starts to bite harder as it is starting to do now then many atheists will also see your perspective and will want something more as religions decline.
Perhaps. But if atheism is going to bite harder, it should also bite better. While I'm happy about, for instance the flag decision, the essential dishonesty of naming the minor child as a plaintiff when such conditions were clearly untrue only speaks to how important the label or word was, and not the effect. Sadly, I don't think Dr. Neudow gives a rat's behind about anything but his sullen pride. As atheism starts to bite harder, it needs to do so with integrity, or else it merely adds another charlatan voice to the cacophony.

My hope is that atheism will, someday, become about truth and knowledge, and not about label-supremacy.
But then I am only an atheist when confronted with a theist argument. My direction is not atheism but humanism and transhumanism and those are most definitely positive philosophies. As you have said before, atheism isn’t a set of doctrines or a belief system. It is purely something in opposition. Atheists must should also take up their own positive causes as well as opposing theism.
With applause. However, you do realize that you are as statistically deviant an atheist as I am a theist. There's many like us out there, but we're a small portion and because we don't have an either/or voice, people don't tend to listen to us.

Dualities--that's something we need to do away with in general.

(I want my triune bit: Yes/No/Maybe. Where is my triune bit?!)
Ahh but now we enter a different realm, and a worthwhile target, and something I hope we will always have.
That depends on the naysayers, to be honest. If it's about knowledge, then we shall always preserve this gift of the human endeavor. If it is about labels, well, the question ensues of whether we can kill it or just rename it. Can it be made less essential in this form without destroying it?

Why are people embarrassed to sing or dance?
Can’t say that I have. But then I’m afraid I rarely classify what I listen to, but I can imagine what you mean.
Fair enough. Bad jazz is like Muzak.
Hmm, yup perhaps then it is best to keep those souls away.
But how to do it ... therein lies the puzzle.

Nothing is truly evil else it would destroy itself.

Nothing is truly good else we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dualisms--that something must be good or evil is problematic.

I guess, in the long run, I'm just dismayed to see people making the same mistakes as ages past: We decide before we know, and merely presume that we ever knew.

And it's worth noting that in metaphysics, 1+1 can equal 3.

It doesn't always, but sometimes it does.

thanx,
Tiasssa :cool:

Originally posted by fadingCaptain

Why can these ultra small particles not be detected?

I really can't get into the rest. I got alot to do in the next week or so. But two things about this. First off... the fact that there ultra small is how you dont detect them. Atoms are all around you but do you see them? Of course not. Quarks required supercolliders just to see for a moment. Do you seriously think it would be easy to see anything smaller?

Anyways this part of the theory is semiimmaterial to the rest of the theory. Even if you believed energy could exist independently of matter then my theory would work just as well. You could then say the soul was a creature existing of pure energy that was bound and affected by the energy exerted by the human nervous system.

tiassa,

You may have missed ‘who’ since it was a way back but the ‘standard definition’ comment was from fadingcaptain. Not that I want to criticize him for taking you too literally, it is understandable since he hasn’t yet recognized your subtleties, but I was trying to avoid ‘standard definitions’. It was bad enough that I had to use the terms soul or spirit to help others join the topic, and at least connect with the concept.

It is unfortunate that the prevalence of the Christian idea that permeates where we live tends to limit many from seeing or conceptualizing other ideas. I thought it highly amusing when Stu assumed that my sole (pun intended) purpose of this thread was to directly attack Christianity. An indication perhaps that he needs to ‘get out’ more.

I have indeed enjoyed debating Christians over the years, I think mainly because access to them has been so convenient, but my serious involvement as a real Christian was only around 5 years as a teenager. My next real interest was not atheism but the techniques of TM from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi fame. From my early twenties until now (30 years later) those techniques and associated philosophy have shaped more of my thinking than anything achieved through Christianity.

It is perhaps also worth mentioning that most people where I live are not Christian. Asians outnumber westerners here by something like 54% to 46%.

…. •_Life is merely a range of rations of matter and energy, but what makes life self-perpetuating is another mystery entirely.

….. was that something that makes life self-perpetuating.

This, in and of itself, might be considered a soul. Or, perhaps, the "spark" that makes our self-awareness so different from other animals. Mind you, I expect that these have scientific explanations to a certain satisfactory degree, but I'm having an inner conflict with our tendency to use modern evidence and ideas to condemn old ideas; what happens if we translate the old idea into the modern ...?
Sorry to cut your Tig story short but I think I understand your dilemma, but I don’t share it.

I lost my sister to cancer 6 years ago and I lost my father to old age 2 years ago. I looked on death and could see what was once an ‘animated’ person but now wasn’t. What is the difference between life and death? Is it that some mystical force had left them? No, they had simply stopped being animated.

I can’t help but use the computer analogy – when powered on with the program running we see something animated. Turn off the power and it appears dead. There is nothing mystical. Being presented with death and seeing someone I knew so well but not moving but knowing all their organs were still there, they were still there, but there was no energy flow. The difference – we turn the computer back on, we can’t turn people back on.

Life and death are harsh but I simply cannot see a need for a mystical explanation.

But self-awareness? And difference to other animals? Isn’t this simply levels of complexity? But when I consider where AI will take us and the levels of complexity that will be far beyond human then human complexity does not seem so great.

I still hold to my conclusion that life is not a chance occurrence but a statistical necessity in the Universe, so it's not as if a soul must be mystical.
I have no problem with that.

.. the result of trusting the Christian definition of the soul in order to argue about it seems more a tool to beat down an idea rather than to explore its possibilities.
Whether Christian or otherwise and if you expand the definition, as I had intended, you still reach a concept of something supernatural as a human essence. It is not that I’m trying to beat down the Christian idea but the whole range of ideas of a supernatural element to life. It is not so much that I cannot see that it is possible, although I don’t, but more that I don’t see any need.

What bugs me is when an atheist who has rejected the Christian god that he or she learned in the world applies that to all Gods, even those they may never have heard of. This is the height of arrogance and contradiction, as it makes the atheist religious.
OK, and I hope I don’t fit that category, but nevertheless I have stated ALL religions will be irrelevant and I have certainly not investigated ALL religions. However, I stand by my assertion. Religion is defined as having a supernatural component.

If there is no supernatural element to life, and therefore nothing beyond death, whether, heaven, hell, nirvana, reincarnation, or whatever, then all that theistic religions can offer is what; just a temporary experience of authoritarianism, or perhaps a temporary experience of wonderful love. But without any prospect of something more then belief in a religion is purely transitory and theists and atheists would have little distinction.

If any religion has any permanent benefit then they all depend on a supernatural life element, i.e. soul/spirit or whatever.

In other words: Should someone someday find a "soul", do you really expect that it will look like people have described in religious philosophy?
Given the implausibility of such things then if such a thing existed then it is likely to be way beyond anything we have currently conceived.

…you and I might agree that murder is wrong. Why? There is no real objective answer until we understand the "purpose of life", for it may be that murder and war are actually forms of selective breeding and reduction; manifestations of natural selection.
This assumes of course a purpose exists. I don’t see a need for that either. How we define what is right or wrong is up to us to define and must be based on what we as a collective race want to achieve. However, if my vision of the future is correct, either as uploads, and/or as technologically and genetically advanced beings then we are very likely to fling ourselves outwards into the rest of the universe. Once that occurs then the opportunity for us to ever come together and reach a consensus on a purpose seems hopelessly remote. My one hope is that as we achieve advanced intelligence then each individual would be able to perceive the idiocy of war, but this is a longer discussion that is beyond this thread.

Do you have faith in family members? Why is it important to be any more tolerant of them than of anyone else? Because they're family? But why? For what objective reason?
Your analogy won’t work on me. Actually I’m not sure what you mean by faith in a family member. I ignore all family members I don’t like, and none dominate me. I’m not sure if that helps you or not. I am far from being conventional where family is concerned.

I don't expect to win this one, but if I live my life striving to make things better for others, my life will improve naturally because of the reduction of turbulence in the factors affecting my life. It's a living ... barely. But someone has to try.
I guess this is where we have a fundamental difference in our outlook, that actually I hadn’t realized before, although it could be just a matter of bias. I really have no interest in helping others, except if there is a personal benefit. If you think about this it is similar to what you have said since you expect an indirect benefit, so I could suggest that you are lying to yourself in that really it is your own survival/benefit that is you primary hope, just as it is with me. The difference is that I have no delusions and I do focus on self entirely and help those around me if it gives me pleasure or there is some direct or indirect benefit.

It is not wealth or material posessions that drives me but a desire to survive. Religionists have the same primary desire I believe, but they see themselves as powerless to cheat death by themselves and do depend on the hope of an afterlife and must for their own sanity insist that souls exist. I am under no delusion that any such fantasies as souls exist so hence my transhumanist stance as a way to cheat death. An approach I believe is infinitely more rational than that of the religionist.

Thus, as an example, to fix what's wrong with this country, we need to change people's basic perspectives on what is important. I submit the same in addressing the problems of religion.
Oh I agree. From my simplistic perspective survival seems like the most important thing for anyone to consider, but religions say they have solved that – just believe in this particular god and follow these rules and you will achieve eternal life in paradise. And with so many either believing this with most of the rest unsure then there is no affirmative action to find real solutions to death – hence again my transhumanist position.

Most Christians, for instance, don't understand why they believe.
I think it goes further, most (Christians or otherwise) do not even see the distraction that religions create. If there was no doubt that there is no afterlife then I am certain we would have solved the cause of death a long tome ago.

As atheism starts to bite harder, it needs to do so with integrity, or else it merely adds another charlatan voice to the cacophony.

My hope is that atheism will, someday, become about truth and knowledge, and not about label-supremacy.
You have no argument from me, but if religions subside then so will any need for atheists to assert themselves.

However, you do realize that you are as statistically deviant an atheist as I am a theist. There's many like us out there, but we're a small portion and because we don't have an either/or voice, people don't tend to listen to us.
LOL. I suspect you are correct.

Dualisms--that something must be good or evil is problematic.
There is no black and white only shades of gray.

And it's worth noting that in metaphysics, 1+1 can equal 3.
Riiight! But then if everything was certain wouldn’t life be very boring?

Well I hope I haven’t bored too many people, but it has been a long time since I have spent an entire evening responding to one of your posts. Hmm, how about writing shorter posts.

Take care
Cris

Last edited:
So it would appear that there are no religionists who are willing to take up this challenge to prove they have souls.

It is not as if there are no subjects to test, there are after all several billion people alive right now who are meant to have souls according to the major religions. And of course there have been quite a few billion people who have died, but I guess they have all moved on to something better or worse or are waiting in some nether-world for a final judgment, so we shouldn’t expect to be able to locate them.

But I take the silence to mean that this essential basis of all the major if not all religions simply isn’t capable of being proved, in which case my assertion that there are no such things as souls seems to be the most credible argument.

But unless someone can show that souls exist then all the arguments for or against the existence of gods is quite pointless.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.

-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955, quoted from James A. Haught, "Breaking the Last Taboo" (1996)

even if souls can be proved to exist, i would still think religion to be irrevelant.

chris
what kind of proof are you looking for again?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back