soon males wont be needed for reproduction.....

Chaosin,

I really don't believe cloning is the answer. No there is not such thing as a bi-fertile human hermaphrodite it would have to be engineered. Yes they could self fertilize (though not easily). The future is most likely very infertile for all, why have children, enhancing ones self and immortality will most likely be a far more lucrative medical technology, if you really want to have a kid buy a jar. ;)

i wouldn't think do because what if the sperm count starts to decrese. second of all if they started cloning babies out of one human then that means that all the babies will start to look alike

Originally posted by certified psycho
i wouldn't think do because what if the sperm count starts to decrese. second of all if they started cloning babies out of one human then that means that all the babies will start to look alike

No they won't but there will be very little variety if such was to occur.

Is reproduction needed at all?

Exept for fun, of course. It might be good if humans took a nice long break from it, and let the planet recover. Once it was very important, but that time seems to be over.

I used to be worried about this. Remember though that natural selection has favoured sexual reproduction, and also separate sexes in man.

Also consider that after new research by Hans Schoel (Scholl?), soon women may only be strictly needed as wombs for reproduction. No doubt we will one day design independent "womb banks" that do not rely on sentient beings for reproduction. But that is an entire discussion in itself (what makes a sentient being? is my computer aware of running under heavy load?)

More interesting is the question whether we should preserve our natural abilities to reproduce, or whether it is satisfactory to rely on in vitro techniques entirely.

As always, just my two cents!

Phoenix

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
No there is not such thing as a bi-fertile human hermaphrodite

I believe this to be incorrect. I know of a hermaphrodite who was raised as a man and got pregnant (by a man). I believe the pregnancy was not carried to full term, for whatever reasons, but it seems to be close to a proof of concept. Unfortunately, it was never said that the same person had impregnated any woman, but given that he/she was on the masculine side of things at birth causing the decision to be made to raise him/her as a boy, it seems likely that his male organs were at least fully developed (fully functional may be another question). I have no information about his/her chromosome set.

Regards,

Phoenix

Or men could just clone millions of beautiful women slaves and we would no longer need the current women.

It's a man controlled world, the women will never have enough power to take them down.

Originally posted by Gatzzu
It's a man controlled world, the women will never have enough power to take them down.

And there is, of course, an evolutionary reason for this: the Trivers-Willard effect :) (just google, I think you'll find something)

Greetz,

Phoenix

Originally posted by Gatzzu
Or men could just clone millions of beautiful women slaves and we would no longer need the current women.

slavery, hmm. a clone of a human is no less human. who is going to raise all these cloned little girls and also be willing to give them up when they reach adulthood into slavery?

Originally posted by SwedishFish
slavery, hmm. a clone of a human is no less human. who is going to raise all these cloned little girls and also be willing to give them up when they reach adulthood into slavery?

I haven't been around here for as long as you have, but I did get the impression he was never seriously considering that option ;)

Phoenix

phoenix,

I have yet to hear or read of any PROOF of a totally fertile human hermaphrodite.

Last edited:
Back