Some Aborigines 'Don't Understand Abuse'

Who knows?

People are first trying to teach Aborigines to understand that the sexual abuse of their children is wrong.

Who knows?

People are first trying to teach Aborigines to understand that the sexual abuse of their children is wrong.

Why? It makes no difference in societies where people already know it is wrong.

Some Aborigines 'Don't Understand Abuse'
July 24, 2007

SOME Aborigines do not fully understand what child abuse is, the chair of the Federal Government's indigenous intervention strategy said.

Sue Gordon said she has been speaking with women in Maningrida, one of the communities which is to be taken over as part of a Commonwealth plan to stop child sex abuse in Northern Territory Aboriginal communities.

"I spoke to them about the definitions of child abuse, that is a lot of people don't fully understand it," Dr Gordon told ABC radio.

Willy:

Please don't repeat your posts.

The problem with your racist statements is that they imply that ALL aborigines do this or that. The article you quote does not say that - that is just your racist spin.

I did not say "that ALL aborigines do this or that" nor do I think that.

You are the first to think and write that.

I consider the victimized culture MORE INTELLIGENT. Westerners consider the ability to make weapons and ignorance of other cultures to be signs of their own intelligence. They are wrong about this.
I don't think you understand what intellegence is. Intellegence has nothing to do with morality. You can be super-intellegent and evil, or good.

Intellegence is a tool like any other. If we choose to use it to kill, it doesn't make us less intellegent anymore than using your physical strength to kill makes you weak.

Willy:

Example:

Which Aborigines are you talking about here? Some specific ones, or Aboriginal people in general, or just unspecified Aborigines?

Since you do not specify, the implication is that you mean Aborigines in general.

It is simply not true that Aborigines in general do not understand that abuse of their children is wrong.

The extent to which you need to be taught things is quite staggering. How old are you?

Which Aborigines are you talking about here? Some specific ones, or Aboriginal people in general, or just unspecified Aborigines?
The ones in the article I posted.
Since you do not specify, the implication is that you mean Aborigines in general.
In your mind only, the article says:
"SOME Aborigines do not fully understand what child abuse is"
It is simply not true that Aborigines in general do not understand that abuse of their children is wrong.
Your opinion, with no facts.
The extent to which you need to be taught things is quite staggering. How old are you?
Don't get personal with me,
I'm not your type.

Willy:

It seems you've got the point. From now on, hopefully you'll be more careful with what you write. When you refer to a specific case in future, just make sure you make it specific and not general.

In your mind only, the article says:
"SOME Aborigines do not fully understand what child abuse is"

I know what the article says. It was clear. But I'm sure from now on you'll try to emulate its clarity in your own future posts.

Your opinion, with no facts.

All I have to do is to show one Aboriginal person who understands that abuse of children is wrong to prove that your assertion that no Aboriginal person understands that abuse is wrong is wrong. Agree?

Don't get personal with me,
I'm not your type.

You have no idea what my "type" is, and your sexual stalking is unwelcome. I've already told you that. Stop it.

Originally posted by Willy (from the Herald Sun News)
Sue Gordon said she has been speaking with women in Maningrida, one of the communities which is to be taken over as part of a Commonwealth plan to stop child sex abuse in Northern Territory Aboriginal communities.

"I spoke to them about the definitions of child abuse, that is a lot of people don't fully understand it," Dr Gordon told ABC radio.

The question is, when Sue Gordon spoke to those women in Maningrida, how did she explain child sex abuse? Does the article elaborate on this point at all? Sue Gordon claims there is a misunderstanding. That could be due to the way her claims were communicated. I would ask for additional information before believing the assertion this article so boldly states.

Edit: I'm not a moron. I know what child abuse is. I just wonder if there was any unnecessary statements made by Sue Gordon or others that would lead to such misunderstandings. Like the concept of sin, for example. Anyway, I clicked around for a few minutes and found two web sites, one is a news report that tells of a situation similar to the article Willy posted, only it is blamed on drugs and alcohol. Second, I found a website sponsored by the Australian Childhood Foundation that has general information on child abuse in Australia.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.as...01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_-303220-1&sec=Worldupdates

http://www.stopchildabuse.com.au/aware/default.asp

Last edited:
Sue Gordon is an Aboriginal magistrate in Western Australia. The first native Australian to attain this position.
She has done a study of Family violence and abuse among her own people.

Sue Gordon's comment about people not understanding how harmful their actions are is not a comment which applies to Aborigines alone. It is a comment which could be made about peoples with problems of poverty, poor education, high mortality rates, alcoholism, drug taking etc etc anywhere.
It is part of the nature of the problem.

Off-topic, marginally, but there's probably an age appropriate time to simply explain a concept of privacy to the kid. Both of my sisters went through a period of streaking when they were about five - my stepmother basically dealt with the subject by explaining privacy to them, without even mentioning sex.

Hi Xev,
Really off-topic now, but out of interest was she talking about your sister's privacy, the privacy of others, or something different?

If the first, then I'm not sure how privacy of nudity could be justified without reference to sex. Even if not... isn't it laying the groundwork for the "post-puritan bullshit" mentioned by tiassa?

All I have to do is to show one Aboriginal person who understands that abuse of children is wrong to prove that your assertion that no Aboriginal person understands that abuse is wrong is wrong. Agree?
What you wrote here is a flat out lie, I never said "that no Aboriginal person understands that abuse is wrong"

Why would you lie?

Willy said:

What you wrote here is a flat out lie, I never said "that no Aboriginal person understands that abuse is wrong"

Why would you lie?

It would have been enough to tell James R that you disagree, and make the point as to why. However, as you've chosen the more political route, we might as well consider what you've said:

Is it they "don't understand abuse" or they don't care? (#1482800; topic post)

Or maybe what white folks consider "sex abuse" is just normal cultural behaviour for Aborigines? (#1482913)

I think it has more to do with the different levels of intelligence, of different peoples. (#1482939)

If one culture is accepts child sexual abuse as the norm and another culture does not, I would consider the accepting culture least intelligent. (#1482946)

And now that same one culture that thought it was OK to come into land where other people had lived for hundreds or thousands of years are still trying to help the Aboriginal people understand what they are doing with their children is sexual child abuse to us. (#1483528)

People are first trying to teach Aborigines to understand that the sexual abuse of their children is wrong. (#1484081)

I did not say "that ALL aborigines do this or that" nor do I think that .... You are the first to think and write that. (#1485146)​

I'm going to start with the last one. James R is not, in fact, the first to think that. I, for instance, chose to not write anything about it because I gave you the grammatical grace of carryover from the article in the topic post. Technically, I still grant you that carryover, but I actually doubt its legitimacy; in your topic about black students, you openly demonstrated that you do not understand this concept, or its importance in conveying information. It seems unlikely, then, that you were consciously relying on a concept you are demonstrably unaware of.

Your next post (#1482913), however, applied to all aborigines. As did the third (#1482939). The application to an entire culture continued unabated (#1482946, #1483528, #1484081). While you never explicitly said "all aborigines", also ne'er did you limit your application to "some" until you were called out on the point. The fact is that some white people don't understand that they are abused or abusing. We certainly do not apply it to all whites. And, as your feeble reposting of an article excerpt shows, the broader application to cover all aborigines is unjustified.

Attempting to stand on the explicit, in this case, shows a lack of good faith. You could just have easily disagreed with James R, and then the two of you could have decided whether or not to pursue that aspect. However, you chose the political route, and your accusation of lying is simply not supported by the evidence in your posts. That you have asserted against an entire culture does, in fact, mean that you've extended to James R's interpretation.

If I took a poll regarding the appearance of racism in your posts, I am confident of an indictment. However, I consider such a poll to be too directly personal. You're welcome to hop over to the "About the Members" forum, and take the poll yourself. If it is that you legitimately don't understand other cultures, that's fine. But the racist, supremacist presentation you put forward is not. Please consider Section 5 of the posted Forum Rules, Regulations, and Recommendations available for viewing by all members and guests.

This community is willing to help you understand, and do so kindly. But as long as you continue this racist push, you should expect resistance from many of your fellow members, and lesser sympathy from the moderators. Playing the explicit card when everyone else can see right through it does you no real good.

Many people don't understand the concept of abuse. This problem is exacerbated in poor communities.
Do you have any proof that poor people sexualy abuse their children, or are you just sterotyping?

And other cultures simply view shame differently; sexual shame is not necessarily so close to the center of every culture's mythology. We should not be surprised if someone from a different culture does not understand our notion of what constitutes sexual abuse.
This is more of a "racist push" then any quote you have of mine.

Willy said:

Do you have any proof that poor people sexualy abuse their children, or are you just sterotyping?

See:

• MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia (NLM/NIH), "Child Abuse - sexual"

• UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, "AFGHANISTAN: War, poverty and ignorance fuel sexual abuse of children"

• ID21, "Violent response: protecting African schoolgirls from sexual abuse"​

These are just a few of the links you'll find if you're willing to actually go look into it.

This is more of a "racist push" then any quote you have of mine.

Racist? How?

• Different cultures have different perspectives. These perspectives include sexuality.

• Anyone who has actually paid attention to such issues will not be surprised if different cultures view sexuality differently.

• Cultural differences are not limited to ethnic divisions.​

Stop reaching. Desperation is an ugly color on anyone.

Last edited:
Back