Snore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Randwolf

Ignorance killed the cat
Valued Senior Member
Why do people snore? I don't mean "how", or what happens physiologically, but rather - why?

Genetically speaking, wouldn't a sleeping animal, making a lot of noise, tend to be eaten? Thus reducing their contribution to the gene pool?

(And some people can really raise the roof when they are sleeping off a night of drinking, say... ) :eek:

Or maybe I have it backwards - don't poke the sleeping bear? Does the snoring scare away other animals?

Either way, how would snoring be selected for genetically? Because it seems that a lot of people do snore, it's not just an occasional anomaly...

I believe the same people that like to talk allot while their awake usually snore more.

Humans aren't the only animal that snores, I've seen and heard dogs snore.

For what causes snoring you could do a search and find potentially links like this one.

I wouldn't suggest it's all down to genetics, in fact I'm pretty sure it's mostly down to how a person lives, what conditions they live in, what type of diet they have and whether their bed is a smooth firm flat surface or a sping mattress that dips in the middle causing them to sleep in the wrong position (there is also pillow positioning).

You have to take into consideration that when people are asleep, they relax. so what was once potentially quite rigid is then likely flapping.

Humans aren't the only animal that snores, I've seen and heard dogs snore.

For what causes snoring you could do a search and find potentially links like this one.

I wouldn't suggest it's all down to genetics, in fact I'm pretty sure it's mostly down to how a person lives, what conditions they live in, what type of diet they have and whether their bed is a smooth firm flat surface or a sping mattress that dips in the middle causing them to sleep in the wrong position (there is also pillow positioning).

You have to take into consideration that when people are asleep, they relax. so what was once potentially quite rigid is then likely flapping.

So you are saying that snoring (flapping :p) is simply an artifact of "modern" living, and serves no "genetic" purpose, right? This is the sort of opinion I am looking for - again, not the physiological methodology of snoring itself, or even its causes on a surface level, but rather what evolutionary benefit does it serve? If any? Or do we just "get away" with it now that we can? (Meaning we don't normally have to fight for our lives on a nightly basis)

Also, let's add a secondary question:
Why, in general, do men tend to snore so much more than women?

Edit: PS - Stryder, geez, if I would have wanted to do a Google search, I could have, I'm really quite good at them. No offense. What I want to know is what the members think...

So you are saying that snoring (flapping :p) is simply an artifact of "modern" living, and serves no "genetic" purpose, right? This is the sort of opinion I am looking for - again, not the physiological methodology of snoring itself, or even its causes on a surface level, but rather what evolutionary benefit does it serve? If any? Or do we just "get away" with it now that we can? (Meaning we don't normally have to fight for our lives on a nightly basis)

Also, let's add a secondary question:
Why, in general, do men tend to snore so much more than women?

Like many problems with the animal body, it seems to me like it could just be a design flaw. It could also be a cue to make the animal move. People often snore if they lay in certain positions and then don't snore when they lay in others. I've noticed with both my boyfriend, dog, and father that they all snore if they sleep on their backs (and side for my dog), but when they roll over on to their side they stop snoring as loud or stop all together (my dog must lay on his stomach and he stops snoring). It might be your body's way of waking you up so that you'll move into a better position that enables easier breathing. I obviously don't know either I'm just guessing. :shrug:

I've seen at least one researcher point out that snoring can operate as a threat, a warning to predators that large and dangerous animals are sleeping here unafraid, thereby avoiding the risky business of actual defense or response to attack.

I've seen at least one researcher point out that snoring can operate as a threat, a warning to predators that large and dangerous animals are sleeping here unafraid, thereby avoiding the risky business of actual defense or response to attack.

Thanks, Ice! That's the type of thing I'm looking for - do you happen to have a link? By any chance? :scratchin: :thumbsup:

So do little animals not snore then?

so what would be the purpose then if those with chronic sinusitis happen to snore? I'm more inclined to believe that it's a) a proposed response that was intended to do good but in essence is bad, b) is actually a mechanism to help notify us that some part of our airway is blocked or c) a consequence of poor anatomical geography.

ask yourslf this, 'why do people yawn, xplain it biologically' di9d you know that even featuses yawn as early as at15 weeks

15 weeks in a dark room with nothing to do.
Wouldn't you be bored?

So do little animals not snore then?
Wickle fluffy animals? Surely not.

So Tigers should avoid the old fat bloke snoring his head off and go on to the next hut?

Last edited:
So Tigers should avoid the old fat bloke snoring his head off and go on to the next hut?
Well, it is usually larger people who snore the loudest and for most of our evolutionary history large meant healthy, well fed, and strong rather than fat ass couch potato.

why do people snort is same reason why people fart...its not because they choose to fart but because that's an inconvenience the body has. I would call it inefficiency of the design, but than farting is good too...too bad it stinks and makes sound. So is snorting, its not really a choice for us...like hey lets take a walk outside the park or we can snort all day long.

why do people snort is same reason why people fart...its not because they choose to fart but because that's an inconvenience the body has. I would call it inefficiency of the design, but than farting is good too...too bad it stinks and makes sound. So is snorting, its not really a choice for us...like hey lets take a walk outside the park or we can snort all day long.
Me thinks snoring and farting are at two ends of the spectrum as to the OP. (Pun intended) Anyway, I think we could agree that the "purpose" of farting is pretty well established - the body needs to eliminate waste methane.

I can see the similarity in asking the question along the lines of "Wouldn't farting betray your location to a predator?" In fact, I have a vague recollection of a movie in which the plot included a section where a thief was apprehended in just this way. He was in the act of burglarizing a house when the resident couple returned home, so the burglar took refuge in a bedroom closet. You can see where this is going, and eventually the husband "followed his nose" and flung open the door to reveal said burglar cowering in the corner. Maybe a Quentin Terantino film? (Sounds like him)

But this comparison doesn't do much towards answering the OP. If animals, large and small, including humans, snore because of a "defect", then why wasn't said defect winnowed out aeons ago?

So far, it would seem that "large unknown beast lurks here", thereby frightening off some of the predators has my vote - genetically speaking.

Well, it is usually larger people who snore the loudest and for most of our evolutionary history large meant healthy, well fed, and strong rather than fat ass couch potato.

You may be right, but have you any evidence to support this.
eg, that heavyweight boxers snore more than lightweight boxers.

I am sure about what I am saying. Fat unfit people, ideal tiger food, snore a great deal.
If I was a tiger, my jaws would be dripping if I heard snoring.

wow! how does that work? i thought the moment i start yawning late at night i tend to fall asleep the next instant, i dont remain awake! It never works for me Never Fly

Yawning causes you to breath in more air, thus supplying more oxygen to the brain to stay awake.

it never works for me.the moment i start yawning am usually either very hungry or very sleepy, but never is ti to supress my sleepiness

randwolf said:
do you happen to have a link? By any chance?
Can't find the one I remember - it was years ago, and I think not much more than speculation along the lines visible here, albeit better informed.

The idea was not so much some great advantage to the snoring individual as a reason it wasn't selected out - it's very common, and the most prevalent airway defect even exists in a range of severities, up to borderline lethality for the afflicted. Normally such traits offer benefit in the low and midrange of their occurrence, and so the speculation.
Kremmen said:
Fat unfit people, ideal tiger food, snore a great deal.
Big fat male people are not ideal tiger food. They are dangerous when attacked; harder to kill, carry away, and cache; likely to be surrounded by other well-fed people practiced and armed for hunting large food animals.

Ideal tiger food would be three year old babies. If they are sleeping next to loudly snoring hunter/gatherers, maybe they are safer.

Last edited:
Back