Should you give your life for another?

Well, from the point of view of the Marines, it makes perfect sense to train soldiers to jump on grenades. Less soldiers die or are injured, if one marine sacrifices his life (which he'll probably lose anyway due to the grenade). Nevertheless, who are the Marines to tell you to kill yourself?

It depends who I am giving my life for. A stranger No! highly unlikely.
My children for sure.

Well there ya go.

Marines have a warrior doctrine. The U.S army is a corporation. There is a reason the Marines are sent into fight all the battles first, the army "holds" positions and plays garrison cop. Oh sure there are some storied units like 101st and 7th cav, even the Army gets a few real soldiers and needs to place them somewhere. Still, for war, the Marine doctrine is correct and the Army one is B.S.

A friend? Really? Family I can see, especially the children. But, a friend? Why should your children (hypothetical) be deprived of daddy, so that your friend's children could have theirs?

A friend? Really? Family I can see, especially the children. But, a friend? Why should your children (hypothetical) be deprived of daddy, so that your friend's children could have theirs?

I dont have any kids, I love my friends like brothers and sisters and I wouldnt hesitate to take a bullet or jump on a grenade for them, my close friends that is :D

if you have no connections to the person, and them none to you, then its a 50/50 trade. if you have kids and he doesnt, then you should survive.

its a question of dying for a noble cause or living for a humble one.

Live to fight another day! Avenge your friend's death, instead of letting him avenge yours!

To avenge someone will never bring them back but only cause more pain for others families as well.

You give your life for someone when you can't live with not having done all you could to save them. It might be a loved one, or even a stranger (say, a child).

Back