Should we care what the world is going to be like in 200 years?

It sounds like a nice idea to think of future generations and treat the earth well, but it's not simple.

From an environmental point of view, just about everything we do has knock on effects. There is no way to live life at the levels we do without disrupting nature.

How are you so sure of this? Where do you get these limits on efficiency? I think we can at least be as efficient as the insect kingdoms which outnumber us by the trillions and hunreds of trillions. There are like a million species of certain insects and hundreds of trillions of them, and they manage to become so efficient that they actually consume our waste. The only reason we arent efficient is because we don't consume our waste. We should learn to consume our waste.
Industrialisation was where things started to go tits up. But it was also when life started to become enjoyable - new things were invented, life became easier, people had more money, etc. Industrialisation has left many scars and even though we're a bit more savvy today, a lot of problems are still being caused.

That was the excuse, but it was not industry as an idea that did it, it's how industry was designed. Industry was never designed to be efficient.

One of the big problems I see is a shortage of housing and the space to build housing. Living in a tiny flat that you pay a lot of money for decreases your enjoyment of life.

There is unlimited space for housing. Build housing underground. Build housing under water, build towers into the earth instead of into the sky. We have not even used 1% of the space inside the earth or under water. This is because we are inefficient and it has absolutely nothing to do with lack of space.

Living in a shitty house, built on reclaimed marshland where your garden has no drainage decreases your enjoyment of life.

Life is not about enjoyment. Welcome to the real world. If your life is not enjoyable it's your fault. If people in Africa can enjoy their lives, why can't you? If your garden has no drainage it's due to inefficiency.
It's the price we pay though.

Every year we take more natural resources than can be replaced by nature. Every year more and more people are born, all of whom want to live materialistic lives, which is quite right.

Once again, inefficiency. It has nothing to do with space, or enjoyment, it's not an emotion, it's rational, when you build something that is weak and unsustainable, and it's not efficient, eventually it will collapse, in our case it will collapse due to pollution. We designed it to collapse otherwise we would have designed it to be efficient from the start. Also, yes more and more people are born, but not everyone born wants to live a materialist life, not everyone born wants that, people dont really care if it's materialist or not, most people just want to survive and be happy, and because once again the system is designed to only allow materialists to be happy, you end up with everyone wanting material, because theres no happiness anywhere else. Thats OUR fault for focusing on "things" and not on "people".
Poisoning of ground water by industry, especially in 3rd world countries.

By choice, you still keep acting like we don't have choices.
When the ice caps melt, which they probably will in 100 years, some areas are going to be underwater. Less space for people. The changing climate in certain areas - UK for example, without the N. Atlantic drift will be a lot colder than it is now. The 6,000,000 hectares of land a year that become desert, leaving less land to grow crops, mainly because of overgrazing or a monoculture of grown crops.

Yeah, another choice. Culture is a choice, systems are a choice, we WANT these things to happen, otherwise we'd be actively stopping these things from happening.

Environmentally, the world will have changed for the worse.
Maybe that's the environment we wanted all along. We created what we wanted, it was in our mind when we designed it. Look, if this happens, only humans are to blame, not the environment, we designed these systems and if these systems destroy us, so be it. We collectively chose capitalism and big industry, we collectively choose inefficiency, the only way out of this is to collectively choose a more efficient way of life, and the reason we cannot seem to do that is because MOST people want things to stay the way things are, FOREVER. Only a few people actually want to improve things.

Unless we go back to the old ways, live locally and use our knowledge of the land to keep it sustainable, we're fucking up the earth.

Yeah, maybe we should have listened when our tribal elders told us to respect the earth. I mean, the native Americans said all of the stuff you are saying long before you were saying it. Africans were saying this long before you were saying it. There were people who were living in villages who did not want materialism and capitalism, but were essentially FORCED to accept it, now those same people seem to be in a situation again where now that our current system is proven dangerous, being told to go back to the old way? Look at Africa now and how do you tell these people to go back to the old way? Would you even allow them to do that?

Selfish as it may sound, I think the sacrifice we'd need to make today overshadows the thought of future generations. I'm not willing to give up my car, nice house, foreign food, mass produced stuff that I can buy cheaply.

I agree, we should be shopping locally, but you arent going to get far just because you want to do this. Maybe a lot of people want to do this, that does not mean you'll be given the option. Capitalism in it's current form works against this, so I agree it's neccessary, it's completely neccessary to buy local food, and support your local community economy. I'm not the one who decided we should be buying junk from China, I did not create the trade policy, neither did you, neither did China, or India, a small group of people create the rules for everyone else, it's always been like this, it's the top 1% who makes the rules for the bottom 99%. Most people don't know where their food and water comes from. Most people don't know whats in their food or water, they don't know about the pesticides, they don't know about the pollution, and if you tell them, most of them are smokers and don't give a shit about their health.

The few people who give a shit about their health, recieve little to no help from other people who give a shit about their health, as these people are usually seperated from each other for stupid reasons, like race, or language, or religion, so you have people who actually would agree with everything you said, but because of little things like class, race, religion, language, will never meet with you. So the first thing you need to do is actually connect with people. Then you can create your own little village or community, for you and your eco-people. Then you can start a home owners association, and begin the process of community building, maybe set up a small bank, offer loans to people who want to start small businesses and you'll be on your way.

That's what you'll have to do. How are you going to do it right now? I don't think you can, I think this will happen after things get so bad that people finally give up all the false divisions like race, class, language and other things, and begin to form whatever community they can form, because in the end the only way humans will avoid going extinct, is by coming together for the sake of surviving into the future.

How are you so sure of this? Where do you get these limits on efficiency? I think we can at least be as efficient as the insect kingdoms which outnumber us by the trillions and hunreds of trillions. There are like a million species of certain insects and hundreds of trillions of them, and they manage to become so efficient that they actually consume our waste. The only reason we arent efficient is because we don't consume our waste. We should learn to consume our waste.
Even if we could consume our waste, things wouldn't be that great. Think of all the factories, powerplants, natural resources we blow out of the ground, the impact of heavy machinery on the earth at all these sites, the toxic materials that are a byproduct of these things that pollute streams, rivers, ground water and mean people can't drink from there anymore.

That was the excuse, but it was not industry as an idea that did it, it's how industry was designed. Industry was never designed to be efficient.
True. Things are better now, but back then you were free to do what you wanted with your land, regardless of environmental impact. A lot was still unknown - cadmium pollution, toxicity of coal bings, etc. A lot of damage remains from early industry. Former steel works sites are sitting there, but it isn't economically viable to clean the land up and build houses on it for example. Industry was great in social and local economic terms, but an environmental rapist.

There is unlimited space for housing. Build housing underground. Build housing under water, build towers into the earth instead of into the sky. We have not even used 1% of the space inside the earth or under water. This is because we are inefficient and it has absolutely nothing to do with lack of space.
None of those are economically viable and who would want to live underground? The environmental cost would be pretty spectacular, too. Blasting holes into the ground generally isn't good. Building under water would almost certainly disrupt marine life, cause damage to plants/fauna and pollute the water. It would probably output heat into the water and if there were enough underwater houses, the change in temperature could wipe out species.

Life is not about enjoyment. Welcome to the real world. If your life is not enjoyable it's your fault. If people in Africa can enjoy their lives, why can't you? If your garden has no drainage it's due to inefficiency.
The question was: "Should we care what the world is going to be like in 200 years?"
I took that to mean standard and quality (enjoyment/lack-there-of) of life and state of the environment. I've stayed in a small 1st floor flat with no garden in London in summer and it was fucking awful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It seems to be the way things are going more and more though - less space for a higher price. It's depressing living in a tiny space. Surely this isn't conducive to productivity? Shouldn't we be doing everything to make life more enjoyable?

Your garden might not have sufficient drainage because the builders decided to build on a marsh. Pretty much all of the decent land has been taken up. That's why you get suburban sprawl. The only places left to build are the shit parts that nobody wanted when they had a choice the first time around. The marshes, an old coal field, the flood plain, etc.

Once again, inefficiency. It has nothing to do with space, or enjoyment, it's not an emotion, it's rational, when you build something that is weak and unsustainable, and it's not efficient, eventually it will collapse, in our case it will collapse due to pollution. We designed it to collapse otherwise we would have designed it to be efficient from the start. Also, yes more and more people are born, but not everyone born wants to live a materialist life, not everyone born wants that, people dont really care if it's materialist or not, most people just want to survive and be happy, and because once again the system is designed to only allow materialists to be happy, you end up with everyone wanting material, because theres no happiness anywhere else. Thats OUR fault for focusing on "things" and not on "people".
Right, so more and more people are born who will want things, like cars, big tv's, etc. The current levels are too much for the earth. We take the metals, materials, oils, gases, quicker than it can replenish them. If there's more people, everyone still wants cars, what can we do? The car manufacturers aren't going to turn around and say "no, sorry, we can't sell you a car". Cars are recycled, but again there are more and more people that will need more and more cars, so it doesn't balance. It isn't sustainable.

By choice, you still keep acting like we don't have choices.
Yes, we have choices individually. It all comes down to money though. Most people will go for the cheaper option and many will be ignorant to the environmental consequences, just not care or won't be able to afford it even if they wanted to. e.g. Walmart might sell plastic coathangers for $0.99. Plastics made from crude, processed using coal, transported using oil and petrol across China to a factory, then shipped half way around the world to the U.S. Whereas you could probably buy some locally made wooden coathangers for $2.00. Alright, it's not a great example because a tree got chopped down, but you can see that the average joe (myself included) would go for the cheaper ones without thinking about it. It's ingrained in us all. We 'deserve' to get all these things we want at the lowest possible price. And we're saying fuck the world in the process.

Yeah, another choice. Culture is a choice, systems are a choice, we WANT these things to happen, otherwise we'd be actively stopping these things from happening.
We want to trash the earth for future generations? I don't think most people consciously want to. Many are ignorant and may change their mind after some education, but I think it's unfair to say most people want to make a mess of the world. It would take many years to change peoples thinking enough to make a difference and probably hundreds before less economically developed countries got with the programme.

Maybe that's the environment we wanted all along. We created what we wanted, it was in our mind when we designed it. Look, if this happens, only humans are to blame, not the environment, we designed these systems and if these systems destroy us, so be it. We collectively chose capitalism and big industry, we collectively choose inefficiency, the only way out of this is to collectively choose a more efficient way of life, and the reason we cannot seem to do that is because MOST people want things to stay the way things are, FOREVER. Only a few people actually want to improve things.
People choose blindly. Most of them know no better. It's in the interests of multinationals, governments and those involved in certain industries not to tell people they pollute, they're gauging holes that are miles deep out the earth and doing other nasty things. People just don't think about it.

Yes, I agree. If things are to change for the better, we need to collectively choose a more efficient way of living. I don't see it happening though, do you?

People want things to stay the same, but none of it is sustainable. Ideally people would realise this, but I've got a feeling only once the shit hits the fan the people will take note.

Yeah, maybe we should have listened when our tribal elders told us to respect the earth. I mean, the native Americans said all of the stuff you are saying long before you were saying it. Africans were saying this long before you were saying it. There were people who were living in villages who did not want materialism and capitalism, but were essentially FORCED to accept it, now those same people seem to be in a situation again where now that our current system is proven dangerous, being told to go back to the old way? Look at Africa now and how do you tell these people to go back to the old way? Would you even allow them to do that?
Maybe we should have listened to the elders, but then we'd never have progressed. Maybe it would be better that way, or maybe it wouldn't? :confused: Now that we're here, we need to progress more, but in a different direction. Everything should be sustainable and I'm sure it can be. There's enough of us to think of and find ways to do things. Personal sacrifice is the main problem though. People just aren't willing if it involves their life being made a little harder.

I agree, we should be shopping locally, but you arent going to get far just because you want to do this. Maybe a lot of people want to do this, that does not mean you'll be given the option. Capitalism in it's current form works against this, so I agree it's neccessary, it's completely neccessary to buy local food, and support your local community economy. I'm not the one who decided we should be buying junk from China, I did not create the trade policy, neither did you, neither did China, or India, a small group of people create the rules for everyone else, it's always been like this, it's the top 1% who makes the rules for the bottom 99%. Most people don't know where their food and water comes from. Most people don't know whats in their food or water, they don't know about the pesticides, they don't know about the pollution, and if you tell them, most of them are smokers and don't give a shit about their health.
You're right. I guess it comes down to low prices and vast choice in supermarkets. Would anybody be willing to sacrifice these things? (I'm not sure I could) Imported fruit and vegetables would be hard to live without for me.

The few people who give a shit about their health, recieve little to no help from other people who give a shit about their health, as these people are usually seperated from each other for stupid reasons, like race, or language, or religion, so you have people who actually would agree with everything you said, but because of little things like class, race, religion, language, will never meet with you. So the first thing you need to do is actually connect with people. Then you can create your own little village or community, for you and your eco-people. Then you can start a home owners association, and begin the process of community building, maybe set up a small bank, offer loans to people who want to start small businesses and you'll be on your way.
I don't have the willpower/balls/non-conformity... er, I dunno, to start an eco-village. I couldn't live like that. I'm part of the problem, but there has to be a decent compromise. I want this standard of living or fuck the world. It's that simple :(

That's what you'll have to do. How are you going to do it right now? I don't think you can, I think this will happen after things get so bad that people finally give up all the false divisions like race, class, language and other things, and begin to form whatever community they can form, because in the end the only way humans will avoid going extinct, is by coming together for the sake of surviving into the future.

Exactly. People won't do shit until the situation forces them.

. Even if you don't have kids of your own, you still are responsible for the worlds children, they are going to have to grow up into your mess.

Hell I am not. In a similar way how is the West always responsible for the dying Africans?

And just out of curiosity, why would be so bad if there were no humans let's say 500 years from now? After all this story is going to end some day....

The person who burnt the Library in Luxor didn't care about me. Neither the Catholics who made disappear any evidence contrary to the Jesus legend. I don't blame them.
But let's get to the economic side. People 200 years ago didn't save/mimimize their use of coal so that we would have enouhg/more today.

TT, are you driving less or minimal, so future generations can have oil? I hope you do. Actually you should switch to bycicle because all the plastic and pesticide what you are using even indirectly are made of oil and you know it is coming out of the pocket of next generations...

The point is that more than 2 generations down the rode, we just can't effect the outcome. Also if we worry so much about next generations how about worrying about our own generation?

European countries exploited African countries for their resources. They created fairly useless (not 100% necessary) exports, like coffee, sugar and the countries did ok off that money. Industrialisation in those countries didn't really happen, because European countries just wanted the sugar/coffee/natural resource. When it became cheaper to get the resources from other countries, they just bail and it leaves the country fairly shafted as its main export was that resource. In terms of natural resources, most of Africa is pretty crap. There isn't much diversity. The places with gold, diamonds and oil have done ok (I'm thinking S. Africa mainly), but I could be talking out my arse.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Americans and Canadians are mainly European immigrants and obviously, Europeans are Europeans. That pretty much makes up the west.

Even if we could consume our waste, things wouldn't be that great. Think of all the factories, powerplants, natural resources we blow out of the ground, the impact of heavy machinery on the earth at all these sites, the toxic materials that are a byproduct of these things that pollute streams, rivers, ground water and mean people can't drink from there anymore.

That's unavoidable, but if we do nothing at all it will only be worse. I say we aim for efficiency.

True. Things are better now, but back then you were free to do what you wanted with your land, regardless of environmental impact. A lot was still unknown - cadmium pollution, toxicity of coal bings, etc. A lot of damage remains from early industry. Former steel works sites are sitting there, but it isn't economically viable to clean the land up and build houses on it for example. Industry was great in social and local economic terms, but an environmental rapist.

We have nano technology, we also have genetic engineering, we can design bacteria to consume our waste, clean our toilets, sewers and purify our water, we can apply nano technology to turn trash into fuel, we can use biofuels, or synthetic fuels, we have more options than I could ever think of, but collectively if all minds were thinking about how to become efficient we'd be able to solve most of these problems within our lifetime, maybe even within a generation. It might take hundreds of billions or even trillions of dollars, but we obviously have the money, do we want to spend it?

None of those are economically viable and who would want to live underground? The environmental cost would be pretty spectacular, too. Blasting holes into the ground generally isn't good. Building under water would almost certainly disrupt marine life, cause damage to plants/fauna and pollute the water. It would probably output heat into the water and if there were enough underwater houses, the change in temperature could wipe out species.

These things arent economically viable because we aren't trying to be efficient. We have billions of third world labor who could be used to build underground houses, both to live in, and to sell, and people could work on it 24/7, non stop, every day. Who would like to live underground? I wouldnt mind living underground, it's just where you sleep, it's not like you have to stay undergruond ALL the time, in fact I think living underground would ultimately be more efficient in almost every way, it would save on heating costs, it would be more efficient for transportation, it would be more efficient for the environment, it's not like you have to cut down as many trees when you can build underground. Yes it would take a lot of labor, but we have unlimited labor already, and we arent using it, so labor is not the issue anymore.

The question was: "Should we care what the world is going to be like in 200 years?"
I took that to mean standard and quality (enjoyment/lack-there-of) of life and state of the environment. I've stayed in a small 1st floor flat with no garden in London in summer and it was fucking awful. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It seems to be the way things are going more and more though - less space for a higher price. It's depressing living in a tiny space. Surely this isn't conducive to productivity? Shouldn't we be doing everything to make life more enjoyable?

Yes it's important to have quality of life, but we have to first have a stable species, a species that can survive and get along with itself. Our misery is generated by us. Building more entertainment devices and "things" will not help, it 's what fuels materialism, instead people need to be inner happy, meaning satisfied with less things, and with each other.
Your garden might not have sufficient drainage because the builders decided to build on a marsh. Pretty much all of the decent land has been taken up. That's why you get suburban sprawl. The only places left to build are the shit parts that nobody wanted when they had a choice the first time around. The marshes, an old coal field, the flood plain, etc.

Right, so more and more people are born who will want things, like cars, big tv's, etc. The current levels are too much for the earth. We take the metals, materials, oils, gases, quicker than it can replenish them. If there's more people, everyone still wants cars, what can we do? The car manufacturers aren't going to turn around and say "no, sorry, we can't sell you a car". Cars are recycled, but again there are more and more people that will need more and more cars, so it doesn't balance. It isn't sustainable.

Whoever said cars are efficient? It's not as simple as because more and more people are being born that the world is inefficient, the world would be just as inefficient if less people were born. The fact that more people are born makes the world unstable because people are being born faster than we can make the world more efficient, we can't even make use of the billions in the third world before theres billions more, thats the problem, it's the rate, and the inefficiency, at least in my opinion. I think in theory it's possible for us to be efficient enough, but likely not with these people, and not in the current generation. If things stay exactly the same for another generation, all while population increases, yes we have to worry about the earth being used up and burned out. This will happen not because of simply the people, but because of how society is designed to promote materialism. It's possible that some people won't mind cutting down consumption, but this is impossible when society forces people to get a full time job. Maybe if people had the option to not have to work so hard, maybe less people would consume so much.
Yes, we have choices individually. It all comes down to money though. Most people will go for the cheaper option and many will be ignorant to the environmental consequences, just not care or won't be able to afford it even if they wanted to. e.g. Walmart might sell plastic coathangers for $0.99. Plastics made from crude, processed using coal, transported using oil and petrol across China to a factory, then shipped half way around the world to the U.S. Whereas you could probably buy some locally made wooden coathangers for $2.00. Alright, it's not a great example because a tree got chopped down, but you can see that the average joe (myself included) would go for the cheaper ones without thinking about it. It's ingrained in us all. We 'deserve' to get all these things we want at the lowest possible price. And we're saying fuck the world in the process.

Yes you are correct. Many people, maybe most people, will be ignorant and not ever change. This does not mean that no one will want to change, I think people do want to change, I think lifestyle can be modified, I think people feel a need to have a community again, and people WANT to have sustainable environment, it's just the wrong people who want it, or it's just at this time not optional for most people. People have to survive, and when you ask a person to get a degree and then work 8 hours every day, all they really have time left for is to buy "things", because to do things takes more time and thats the true cost. It's the 8 hour workday, perhaps if people only worked 4 hours a day and we just hired more people, then people would actually have the time to enjoy life.

We want to trash the earth for future generations? I don't think most people consciously want to. Many are ignorant and may change their mind after some education, but I think it's unfair to say most people want to make a mess of the world. It would take many years to change peoples thinking enough to make a difference and probably hundreds before less economically developed countries got with the programme.

You are correct, maybe they just dont' care about the future. Some people live in the moment. The problem is, people who do see the future, they know some of the situations we will face are completely unavoidable, theres nothing we can do, and some people only wake up at the last possible moment. This is usually how it is. I don't know why you say it would take hundreds of years for younger countries to go sustainable, all evidence seems to point to developing countries being ahead of us. China is investing a fortune and at least attempting to make changes before it's too late, you are right they are changing too slow, but they are doing something, Africa and the others, they follow the leaders, so whoever takes the lead should be a super power, or a country powerful enough to lead. You cannot expect Africa to lead here, as if anyone would buy African products, I mean we don't even trade with Africa, China might take the lead and then trade with Africa and the third world, and Europe might take the lead and eventually it will spread to America, otherwise I don't know. All I know is, the current way of life is obviously unsustainable, it's as plain as day.

People choose blindly. Most of them know no better. It's in the interests of multinationals, governments and those involved in certain industries not to tell people they pollute, they're gauging holes that are miles deep out the earth and doing other nasty things. People just don't think about it.

Actually it's not really in the interest of multinationals or governments in the long term, only in the short term, and thats the point. We have to show how it's more profitable by far to clean and protect the planet than ot destroy it. I mean really, once a planet is destroyed, economic activity either stops as we slowly go extinct, or we have to clean it up, why not start cleaning it up now?

Yes, I agree. If things are to change for the better, we need to collectively choose a more efficient way of living. I don't see it happening though, do you?

The ideas exist, if we choose for it to happen collectively it will happen, but it's not really a matter of peasants making choices or consumers making choices, it's more of a matter of the top 1% deciding it's in their best interest. Once that happens, then the time will come to use all that excess money to clean the earth not our of chairty, or care, but because it's in their own best interest to have a clean earth.

People want things to stay the same, but none of it is sustainable. Ideally people would realise this, but I've got a feeling only once the shit hits the fan the people will take note.

Exactly. All I can say is, make your bets, buy your stocks, profit from what you know is going to happen, and then profit off the reconstruction.

Maybe we should have listened to the elders, but then we'd never have progressed. Maybe it would be better that way, or maybe it wouldn't? :confused: Now that we're here, we need to progress more, but in a different direction. Everything should be sustainable and I'm sure it can be. There's enough of us to think of and find ways to do things. Personal sacrifice is the main problem though. People just aren't willing if it involves their life being made a little harder.

We would have progressed, it would have been much slower, but maybe the elders were focuse don spiritual progression and not just technological. If your technology surpasses you too much you collapse. You look at the ancient societies and they lasted a lot longer than ours. It seems, the secret to lasting a long time is to progress in the ways which are based on spiritual need and practical need. Tribal society, and ancient society did progress, but they progressed in ways which made life more enjoyable and simple. We are progressing in ways which makes life more complex and harsh, we work more than ever, we go to more school than ever, and the world is more complex than ever. Wouldnt you rather dance all day, and do just enough work to wake up the next day and do it again? It might not cause you to progress to the moon as fast, but obviously we arent ready to be on the moon if we can't even colonize space and get off planet earth as a species, maybe we did progress a bit too fast in some ways.

You're right. I guess it comes down to low prices and vast choice in supermarkets. Would anybody be willing to sacrifice these things? (I'm not sure I could) Imported fruit and vegetables would be hard to live without for me.

I'm smart, I care about quality. The age of craftmanship will return once people focus on quality instead of cheap. The cheap people will eat cheap food, gain bad health, and likely die. Nothing cheap is usually better, and cheap food is not a good deal, you don't save, it costs more than quality food.

I don't have the willpower/balls/non-conformity... er, I dunno, to start an eco-village. I couldn't live like that. I'm part of the problem, but there has to be a decent compromise. I want this standard of living or fuck the world. It's that simple :(

The standard of living in a villege would be higher, your quality of life would be higher. That's just it, you have to understand, clean air, clean water, good health, and more space, thats usually what people wanted when they moved out into the suburbs, to get out of the city.

From an environmental point of view, just about everything we do has knock on effects. There is no way to live life at the levels we do without disrupting nature.

Perhaps we shouldn't live at these levels? Abolish everything but schools.

No we have no moral obligation because in reality we have no way of doing anything something done with the intent of helping could be changed through the process of time to be hurting. E.X. Manifest Destiny because of this the US expanded it gained the power it has today but it is viewed as an evil act because it harmed so many native americans, but does that make the US evil. This proves that anything we do know is pretty much irrelevant to whats going to happen 200 years down the line.

You don't have to go into this "right-wrong" relativism bull*! If you kill 10 millions of red people with guns and infections that means (can't belive I am
writing this) you are destroying life. The greatest instinct in the world is preservation of life and white people have proven to have the smallest
respect for life in the history of Life. Btw. Do you think that the idea of
federation of the States was white man's idea?
Cultural extinction is one of the scariest and worst things that happen,
because it frightens many nations and, logically, they start to worry for their existence and begin to precieve the same agressor as bad/evil. What part of that you don't understand?!?

If future generations can't make it in the world that we leave them, fuck 'em!

Baron Max
That is one of the stupidest posts I have ever read. Too bad we
banned the inquisition. I think Giordano Bruno wouldn't hesitate
in this case.

Last edited:
People in the 1600s didn't worry about 4-5 generations down the road.

They did actually, people have always cared, hence the great wall of china (took nearly 300 yrs to build!) and other structures which took decades to build etc.

"The Great Wall which most tourists visit today was built during the Ming Dynasty, starting around the year 1368 and lasting till around 1640. Work on the wall started as soon as the Ming took control of China but, initially, walls were not the Ming's preferred response to raids out of the north. That attitude began to change in response to the Ming's inability to defeat the Oirat war leader Esen Taiji in the period 1449 to 1454. A huge Ming Dynasty army with the Zhengtong Emperor at its head was annihilated in battle and the Emperor himself held hostage in 1449.

Apparently the real focus on wall building started as a result of Altan Khan's siege of Beijing which took place one hundred years later in 1550. The Ming, faced with the choice of trying to defeat the Mongols with direct military force, chose instead to build a massive defensive barrier to protect China. As a result, most of the Ming Great Wall was built in the period 1560 to 1640. This new wall was built on a grand scale with longer lasting materials (solid stone used for the sides and the top of the Wall) than any wall built before."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China

For the first time in the history of earth, organisms have realized their ability to cause longterm environmental change that will make the world less fruitful for their offspring.

There are many that will say "screw the future, what do I care?" But those people don't matter. The ones that do care will leave their descendents a better environment. The selfish will perish. Forward thinking genes will replace them.

Pretty simple stuff.

I think it is becoming pretty clear that the Chinese people are fundamentally
different from Europeans/Western world people. Their knowledge and skills in
economics and religious/moral sets of values just go way over "our" heads.

There are many that will say "screw the future, what do I care?" But those people don't matter. The ones that do care will leave their descendents a better environment.

Hmm, I don't get that?

If there are so many more who say "I don't care", then almost no matter what those who care do or say, they aren't going to leave a better environment for anyone. 10 loyal envirnonmentalist advocates against a billion "don't-give-a-shit" folks, who do you think will win?

Baron Max

Hi all

i think a lot of the answer to the thread will be determined by whetehr you have children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
take care
zak

I think it is becoming pretty clear that the Chinese people are fundamentally
different from Europeans/Western world people. Their knowledge and skills in
economics and religious/moral sets of values just go way over "our" heads.

Way over our heads??? Then why is China one of nations with the greatest problems in environmental pollution? Why is China in an almost slave-labor workforce? Why is the poverty and hunger and low education so widespread in China?

Perhaps you're only seeing what you want to see?

Baron Max

Well, cause they don't look ahead, sooner or later, no matter who wins,
"I don't care" folks will fall down, because they didn't look, and the ones who knew how deep we have gone and who monitor the changes are
in advantage.

Imagine...Enviromental catastrophy, great famine, flood or epidemy.
Enviromentalists see that all the time cause they intervene
in such events all around the world and that is the main reason
for their consern. It's not about them or you or me, but everybody.

Hmm, I don't get that?

If there are so many more who say "I don't care", then almost no matter what those who care do or say, they aren't going to leave a better environment for anyone. 10 loyal envirnonmentalist advocates against a billion "don't-give-a-shit" folks, who do you think will win?

Baron Max

I am aware of Chinas enviromental changes. It is not logical to expect that they are more eviroment-aware then the rest of the world. Poverty, right,
ignorance, yes. But religion, trades, sciences? I hope you underststand I
was pointing that out. They are relatively poor and ignorant, which
country of that size isn't? And N. America has a lot to learn about enviroment, because USA are the poorest example for planet-care,
no matter how advanced.

And N. America has a lot to learn about enviroment, because USA are the poorest example for planet-care,
no matter how advanced.

This topic is not about intelligence or knowledge, etc., but about whether or not we should care. And it's obvious to me that the people of the USA are of the type to CLAIM to care, yet prove with their actions that they don't care.

It's easy to make claims of caring, because that's just talk. But we all know that talk is cheap, right?

Baron Max

They did actually, people have always cared, hence the great wall of china

Come on, that is one really bad example. The wall was for selfpreservation, not for caring about the future generations, only about their own generations. But they still happily killed the non-Chinese off....

Actually the Chinese "only 1 kid" policy is a good example, because the Chinese government recognized the danger of overpopulation if there is no selfrestriction. (society-wise)
China currently does a lots of enviromentally questionable things, but that is because of the level of technology, just like 100 years ago the Western societies did.

Back