Should theists be treated like ordinary humans?

wynn

˙
Valued Senior Member

Consider:

Theists are directly or indirectly making the claim that they know God, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

In my opinion, this is as special and as advanced as it gets, for earthly terms.

As such, theists are special people, a category apart from others.

From this, it follows that they should be treated differently than ordinary people who don't (claim to) know God.

For example, such different treatment would mean to avoid them whenever possible, and otherwise to limit contact with them as much as possible.
To reciprocate with the same hostile and exlusivist elitism they have toward ordinary people.

Yes, or No?

Consider:

Theists are directly or indirectly making the claim that they know God, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

In my opinion, this is as special and as advanced as it gets, for earthly terms.

From this, it follows that they should be treated differently than ordinary people who don't (claim to) know God.

For example, such different treatment would mean to avoid them whenever possible, and otherwise to limit contact with them as much as possible.
To reciprocate with the same hostile and exlusivist elitism they have toward ordinary people.

Yes, or No?

No. :)

If we where into exclusivist then we would not be out there trying our best to encourage atheists to come join us.

And We are Ordinary people. The majority of the worlds population are Theist, or into some form of spirit world belief. Sometimes you atheists forget that you are on a world wide scale a small minority.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I would say that beliefs, in god(s) religion, spiritualism, or whatever, should grant no benefit or exemption from any law or system imposed on others.

So if there is a motorcycle helmet law, and you are a Sikh with a Turban, you have a choice, find a way to wear the helmet, or do not ride a motorcycle. Also, as regular people aren't allowed to carry weapons, the kirpan needs to be left at home too.

There should be no exemptions granted to pursuing one's job, because of religious sensibilities,.... in the UK we've had Christian fundies refusing to perform same sex unions in registry offices. Luckily, the plaintiffs have been judged against in these cases, while it might be their choice to not engage in same sex unions themselves, they do not have the right to deny others.

I also think that all activities should be taxed equally,.. church collection plates,.. vicars salaries, the interest in the bank accounts of churches, same as businesses operate. Religions sell entertainment. If I pay VAT on a cinema ticket and get entertained for 90 minutes, a church service that people stick money on a tray to see should also get taxed, no exemption.

So everyone should be treated the same under the law, regardless of belief. How you choose to react to people that believe, and proselytise a load of old arse however, is your personal choice. I tend to slam the door in their face when they disturb me and wave a bible in my direction.

Consider:

Yes, or No?

you're psychotic.

Not really, he's exploring the converse parallel of 'heretic' or 'heathen'. Seems odd, when he says it that way, but it's not really any different to the status believers have historically attributed to others.

the psychotic part is why would he want to do that.

do you think signal's really this fucked in the head, or do you think he's a troll? because if he's a troll, he's been trolling this way for years and years.

do you think signal's really this fucked in the head, or do you think he's a troll? because if he's a troll, he's been trolling this way for years and years.

Excuse me, but one could say the same about you.

Excuse me, but one could say the same about you.

no you couldn't. i'm not lying about anything. i'm not out here saying "oh i'm so desperate and miserable looking for answers" and lying about it.

the psychotic part is why would he want to do that.

It's not like he's proposing an 'Atheist Inquisition' and torturing those of faith, nor a Crusade, and sacking a Holy City in the name of atheism, nor promoting violence amongst sects, or any of the other things religion is guilty of, so he's hardly psychotic.

Consider:

Yes, or No?

I don't think they are any different than a baseball player who believes his lucky hat is the cause of his win.

That's a rather bizarre question in my opinion.

Consider:

Or at least theists are saying that they believe in such a thing. They may or may not be claiming personal contact with it.

Only if you believe what they say. This rather strange line of thinking is totally dependent on the truth of the theists' claims. As such, it's a line of thinking that would only occur to a theist.

Sure. If there really is a divinity, and if this divinity actually communicates with them and not with everyone else, then you would probably be right. You seem to be describing something like Mohammed or a biblical prophet, perhaps.

"It follows" how, exactly?

This whole argument assumes two unstated but implicit premises --> first, that the theist claims are indeed true, and second, that the rest of us should know that they are true.

That's a pretty big leap.

Why in the world would I want to do that?

Look, if I believed that a "god" truly exists, then I would already be a pretty solid "theist". If I was convinced that some theists out there "know" this god in some way while I don't, then I'd probably want to seek those more fortunate theists out, not avoid them.

I'm happy to say that theists are among my closest friends and associates. None of them behave like you describe.

Yes, or No?

No.

It's not like he's proposing an 'Atheist Inquisition' and torturing those of faith, nor a Crusade, and sacking a Holy City in the name of atheism, nor promoting violence amongst sects, or any of the other things religion is guilty of, so he's hardly psychotic.

the basis of the behavior is the mentality. does he actually posses that same mentality or is he a troll?

if he's a troll, his behavior has been to repeatedly come out here and lie FOR YEARS about the same thing. and i'm sorry, but that's flippin' weird.

something does NOT add up with signal.

Assuming God exists..

We don't know.
But the threat of God is the utmost threat that there can be. That is something to consider.

Or did you mean they are 'special people' in another way?

I certainly didn't suggest anything to do with the way the Nazis gave the Jews a "special treatment" or "special" the way children in special ed are "special".

Personally, I don't see a way to be friends with a theist. Although I have had theists tell me they are my "friends".
I even keep a distance to those relatives of mine who are theists.

But recently, I had a clash with a theist, and it made me second-guess my current attitude. Perhaps I had treated him too impersonally.
Perhaps I should have viewed him as more human, a person with needs, interests and concerns, a person with feelings. Because as it was, I treated him strictly as a theist, and the only interaction we had was concerning discussion of theistic topics and related.
From the beginning on, I had the impression that to him, I was just a person he preached to, a faceless, nameless entity who is supposed to simply believe what he said about God and theism. I had given him the credit that he knows what he is talking about, and even though his treatment hurt me, I went along. After all, if he is right, my hurt wouldn't matter.

I don't know. Perhaps theists want to be treated as some abstract entities after all. Perhaps they are so advanced that they are beyond personal needs, interests and concerns. It's difficult to talk to them about such things, and they take offense easily.

Back