Should incest be allowed? breeding between challenged people?

should incest be allowed? read the starting post first please

• Total voters
If you look back at history, you will notice that many people attempting to keep power in their own hands interbred, and that there was no special taboo against it. In Roman Egypt most of the recorded marriages were brother/sister for several centuries up to the time of Cleopatra.

I suspect that an aversion to sexual desire for those one grew up with is common, but that "disgust" is cultural. Culture has a good reason to avoid incest, to keep the population as a whole healthy, but it's clear that the level of overt repulsion has varied from society to society. That said, it's too easy to sit back and declare the things I believe to be "universal" and biological, I may well be projecting my cultural bias.

I know, but I really think that has something to do with their perverted sense of superiority.

I voted no.
Incest exposes dysfunctional genes and causes genetic disorders to spread.

Couldn’t that be said about people who knowing have other genes or genetic disorders that could possibly be passed along such as cancer, downs syndrome, and other abnormalities regardless if they were involved in an incestuous relationship?

Gah, I voted wrong again. I wanted to vote yes, but not for challenged people. If there's evidence that incest even amoung healthy people has a lot of risk of deformities, then that shouldn't be allowed either. Panda seems to think there wasn't a problem with it in the past. I remember a Star Trek TNG episode wherein there was incest on a massive scale; just a few people bred for generations via something like cloning. The problems began to get acute. Star Trek being Star Trek, they fixed the problem by introducing sex the old fashioned way again with a bunch of people looking to settle on a world ;-).

Anyway, if what it claims is true (and they tend to be fairly accurate sometimes), then definitely no inbreeding on a massive scale; I reserve judgement on the rest ;-).

I've never been convinced there's a significantly higher risk of defects from incest than from other breeding. I suspect it's mostly unjustified bias.

If they're consenting adults, then it's nobody's business but their own. Regardless of the circumstances, and as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

I voted yes. Mostly because I'm a little crazy.

Though you might get all kinds of really fucked up kids rolling around on disability benefits(which will cause society to collapse even faster, fullfilling one of my goals), you might also get that one in a hunderrrd chance of a "useful" genetic mutation. You are expanding humanity in two directions, comon that HAS to be good lmao.

no incest leading to breeding should not be allowed, it can result in Downs babies and many other ill and sick babies

Downs babies? Has there ever been a Down's baby born to an incestuous couple because of the relationship and not just the regular every day way it happens to regular couples?

...you might also get that one in a hunderrrd chance of a "useful" genetic mutation. You are expanding humanity in two directions, comon that HAS to be good lmao.

wow neitz, that's a good point. I think most of the Americas was populated by just a few women. There had to be some incest going on there. What harm did it do? :shrug:

1. since many people do want to allow incest but only between consenting adults,
2. and that they should not be allowed to breed because the children have a chance of being somehow deformed, in mind or physically.
3. While there is evidence to the contrary (many monarch-families have been in-breeding for a long time without many problems for example),
4. if we assume that this is true then should we allow people that are challenged to breed, due to the high risk of deformed children, according to the same logic?

s: I have several problems
1. except for Egypt, most incest was frowned upon by cultures throughout history
2. I think there's a "yuk" factor here, are you saying that there is a widespread movement for "incestuous sex" that has overwritten this?
3. I don't want to look into history books now, but I seem to remember some had hemophilia
4. are you saying they are not allowed to be "consenting" or that "society" should have rights of control over " challenged" people's "breeding"?

Back