Should homosexuals be entitled to tax breaks?

coolsoldier said:
I still favor eliminating the legal institution of marriage entirely.

Well that's certainly a point of view that has it's own legs to stand on. However it's really more suitable as a topic unto itself. Would you agree that while the government provides a form of civil marriage to heterosexual couples that homosexual couples should also have those same rights. I don’t think that civil marriage is going anywhere any time soon, so in the interim (the time between now and your destruction of civil marriage) what do you think should be done?

Mystech said:
I was sitting here and debating whether or not to post a reply to Fahrenheit, however he seems to have done a better job of insulting himself than I could have managed.

i'm puzzled by you statement as i cant see how he insulted himself
could you please elaborate thankyou

Mystech said:
I don’t think that civil marriage is going anywhere any time soon, so in the interim (the time between now and your destruction of civil marriage) what do you think should be done?

Some sort of solution needs to be reached, and, to state the obvious, things stay the same until they change. Whether you fight for the legislation of gay marriage or the elimination of civil marriage, in the interim, things stay the way they are now until you succeed in changing them.

Eliminating civil marriage and legislating gay marriage are mutually exclusive goals. I can only advocate one of them. Obviously, I think my solution is the best. :cool:

Yes, gay marriage in the interim would be nice from an equal rights perspective, but I'm not convinced that the fight for blanket legislation of gay marriage will be any easier than the fight to eliminate marriage.

The article at the other end of that link has got to be the single most stupid and inflamatory thing that I have ever read. Thank you for posting it with entirely no comentary of your own, you are a boon to these sciforusm.

jinchilla said:
No offense to the Marine Corps. I've had several brainwashed, jarhead friends. Again, no offense.

TO jinchilla AND ENYONE WITH THE SAME THOUGHT
OK THE MARINE CORPS. ARENOT BRAINWASHED JARHEADS. YOU DONT KNOW THAT UNTILL YOU HAVE SERVED THE CONTRY. AND IF YOU THINK SO F******
LOW OF THIS CONTRY THEN GET OUT. ILL EVEN HOLD THE DOOR OPEN FOR YOU.

GOOD TO KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH A BROKEN CAPSLOCK!

mustafhakofi said:
i'm puzzled by you statement as i cant see how he insulted himself
could you please elaborate thankyou
You are joking, right?

Mystake:

As the topic suggests I am proposing that homosexuals be entitled to tax breaks in the United States. The reasoning for this is fairly simple: as it stands homosexuals are paying the same taxes as everyone else, but unlike everyone else we're not entitled to the same rights. For instance, we can not marry in this country, nor can we join the military, nor are there any penalties in most places for discriminating against us solely on the basis of our sexual orientation in selection for a job, housing, or anything else really.

Does anyone else see the irony here?

Stick to the equality fight and avoid the special status fight AT ALL COSTS, for the sake of your own cause. If you fight for 'entitlement' of special status you'll push the 'equality' movement back to the closets.

I support equal rights for gays.
However, sometimes I watch women battling for the 'right' to join the military.
I have NEVER heard of anything so idiotic. If the draft system does come back, and least women won't be forced to risk having their heads shot off in a pointless war (eg. Vietnam).

If I were a woman, I'd fight for equality in EVERY area except the right to have my head shot off. :p

Ireth2690 said:
TO jinchilla AND ENYONE WITH THE SAME THOUGHT
OK THE MARINE CORPS. ARENOT BRAINWASHED JARHEADS. YOU DONT KNOW THAT UNTILL YOU HAVE SERVED THE CONTRY. AND IF YOU THINK SO F******
LOW OF THIS CONTRY THEN GET OUT. ILL EVEN HOLD THE DOOR OPEN FOR YOU.

As one poster to another, do you realize how unamerican that is?

It might just be that the only Marines Jinchilla has ever met are complete idiots. Jinchilla may thus be mistaken in general or not.

One might wonder why you think so low of this country as to wish those who would want to make it better to leave?

Last edited:
fireguy 31 said:
Does anyone else see the irony here?

Well I should hope so, that's kind of the point of this thread.

mountainhare said:
I support equal rights for gays.
However, sometimes I watch women battling for the 'right' to join the military.
I have NEVER heard of anything so idiotic. If the draft system does come back, and least women won't be forced to risk having their heads shot off in a pointless war (eg. Vietnam).

Have you been kind of out of it for the past decade and a half or so? Women are allowed in the military, and if there's a draft then they are quite likely to be included (there's even proposed legislation floating around which would make this a certainty, I believe).

Last edited:
The whole thing seems to work in circles.

I agree that if you're not granted the full privileges of citizenship, you ought to be exempt from part of your share of taxes.

Of course, what this creates, as Fireguy demonstrates, is a perception of "special" status among those who seem to think that equality is whatever as long as they're not the ones being screwed.

So that we once again come back to Equal Protection, and that's the whole point: it's easier to just get the heck over it and stop making gays have the "special" status as society's scapegoat.

Would you take it in the ass in order to escape the draft?

Given the state of warfare in America, we would face the possibility, at least, of sudden mass acceptance of homosexuality, if it came down to that.

tiassa said:
If it's between dying or having myself violated, i choose being violated. I can at least live and deak with that. I can't live and deal with being dead.

As for the topic, I think that a gay couple should have the same rights... btu that isn't really the answer. Married people shouldn't get tax breaks just for being married. Taking care of a kid may be an option, but not just because you're married. All that is doing is trying to reinfornce somebodies opinion that 'marriage is good'.

*A whole new thread could be started on that* :D

Hmmm, I suppose it'd have to do with what the fight was for and how big the dudes dick is... A lot of variables to consider...

Given the state of warfare in America, we would face the possibility, at least, of sudden mass acceptance of homosexuality, if it came down to that.
No, never, but that's not what I mean. The consequence of "don't ask don't tell" *should be* that openly gay persons could not be drafted. Whether this policy is beneficial to homosexuals is really dependent on their own personal view and whether we have a draft or not.

Last edited:
The consequence of "don't ask don't tell" *should be* that openly gay persons could not be drafted.

Agreed. But how many people will "become openly gay"? I mean, people put on "sham marriages" for years. Queer chic is in. Faking it shouldn't be too hard. So how, then, does one establish their gayness?

Does the man who has known his homosexuality since age 13 get an exemption while the young man who's just discovering why he never got along well with his high school girlfriends does not?

So then we reach a point where we can look at two "new" homosexuals. One is struggling with his homosexuality and the prospect of the draft demands a resolution of the issue perhaps before he is ready to understand that choice. The other is just someone who doesn't want to go to war, and he thinks, "Maybe sucking c@ck a couple times wouldn't be so bad." (There's always that scene from Waters' Pecker when the guy appeals to his father--the whole, "I'm not gay; they suck me off but I don't do them ...," argument.)

It creates an awful lot of confusion and unnecessary bad sentiment, and invokes the possibility of myriad ill-conceived notions for avoiding service. And all because the equal protection clause of the United States Constitution as amended is simply intolerable to a monied, influential minority.

Think of Joe Parent, whose son has died in Iraq. As "President Kerry" grimly announces conscription, Joe is walking down the street and sees a protester decrying the war. "My son died in that war," says Joe. "You shouldn't speak of what you don't know. I don't see you over in Iraq!"

And the protester shrugs and says, "Hey ... I'm not allowed to go to Iraq."

Joe asks, "Why?"

And the protester shrugs again and says, "It has something to do with someone else entirely."

Joe shakes his head, confused. "What?"

"Well, my wife is of the wrong gender. Even if I wanted to take your son's place in the line, I'm not allowed to."

"don't ask don't tell" probably isn't 100% fair, but the army should have the right to order someone to be quiet.

Back