Should Freedom of Religion include Freedom from Religion?

No.
1] If he were loitering, he could be charged with loitering. But stopping to pray in a public place does not, itself, constitute loitering.
2] The same exaggeration can apply to anyone else, say an atheist, who stops to check his phone.

Okay, so it's a like a quick prayer and then move on? That wouldn't be loitering, but if the person was going to be there some time, maybe it could be considered loitering. I would have to ask why the person can't pray at home?

I'm not certain what you mean by subsidize. Your taxes don't build the churches. Most religious organizations are supported by their congregation. I think it is consider a charitable organization in the broadest sense, though some do appear to be milking the system, I do agree.

If churches don't pay property taxes, municipalities won't receive as much income, so they will get what they need from me.

Okay, so it's a like a quick prayer and then move on? That wouldn't be loitering, but if the person was going to be there some time, maybe it could be considered loitering. I would have to ask why the person can't pray at home?
That would be protected by freedom of speech. It's tax exempt status of churches that is a problem as well of religion in public places (prayer in public schools, prayer in Congress, swearing on the Bible in court, etc. that is a problem.).

I assume you mean 'sponsored by the establishment'.
It is as much a Christian's or Muslim's public space as it is yours. If an individual wishes to stop and pray in a public space, of course it's his right.
Sure - but even then, there comes a point when he's disturbing the peace. No preaching, except in designated areas.
And that's entirely different from creches and 10-commandment plaques on the courthouse lawn. The courthouse, administrative buildings and police stations are official places that are intended to carry on the functions of government. Their partiality to one religion is a tacit government endorsement, which is a step toward official enforcement of the tenets of one faith over all the others.
And that's not an accident on the part of officials who insist of putting Christian symbols in those prominent places.

If churches don't pay property taxes, municipalities won't receive as much income, so they will get what they need from me.
Yeah, that's a point of view. I doubt your local government calculates its income in such a manner that it is figuring lost income due to church property values.

That would be protected by freedom of speech. It's tax exempt status of churches that is a problem as well of religion in public places (prayer in public schools, prayer in Congress, swearing on the Bible in court, etc. that is a problem.).

I suppose praying in public might be considered free speech, but again, I ask why not do it at home? Isn't the concept of believing in God a personal thing? Why bring it into the public, then?

Its mandate does not extend to tending your spiritual needs or catering to your superstitions, or interceding with your god, any more than it should organize your love-life or your weight-loss regimen.

And I don't believe having a giant menorah on the White House lawn is necessarily crossing the line between simple recognition and collusion with the synagogue.

But they do build the street and the sidewalk in front of it; often the parking lot, as well. Churches don't pay taxes, so all their infrastructure - sewer, water main, snow clearance, street-lights - have to be covered by other people's taxes.

There is a reason...

"Unfortunately, this indirect violation of the separation of church and state may be necessary in order to avoid a very direct violation of the free exercise of religion. The taxation of church property would put churches more directly at the mercy of the government because the power to tax is, in the long run, the power to control or even destroy.

By removing church property from the power of the state to tax, church property is also removed from the power of the state to directly interfere with. Thus, a hostile government would find it more difficult to interfere with an unpopular or minority religious group.

Small local communities sometimes have bad track records with showing tolerance towards new and unusual religious groups; giving them more power over such groups would not be a good idea."

ThoughtCo
https://www.thoughtco.com/tax-exemptions-available-to-churches-249590

And I don't believe having a giant menorah on the White House lawn is necessarily crossing the line between simple recognition and collusion with the synagogue.
In Israel, no. Anywhere else, yes.
There is a reason..."The taxation of church property would put churches more directly at the mercy of the government because the power to tax is, in the long run, the power to control or even destroy."
That goes for every citizen and every business. And yet they are taxed, and yet they are not destroyed.
Thus, a hostile government would find it more difficult to interfere with an unpopular or minority religious group.
And yet the various state and municipal governments have been able to find other ways to make life difficult for denominations they don't like. The current federal government can do it with immigration la... er... presidential.. er.. royal edict.
The tax exemption was a concession, an appeasement to the Anglicans that had to be extended to all the other Christian churches, and then to the less popular ones, and then to all the new ones that were invented as a tax dodge. And the longer it goes on, the wronger (and more profitable) it grows.

Last edited:
That goes for every citizen and every business. And yet they are taxed, and yet they are not destroyed.
Yet as a smoker, I can tell you that taxation does affect your choices. At the very least it can punish you for making your own choice.

And yet the various state and municipal governments have been able to find other ways to make life difficult for denominations they don't like.
That's true, and it's a shame. I think zoning laws might be the most popular way of thwarting a religious group.

The government doesn't punish people and businesses with taxes?

The tax exemption was a concession, an appeasement to the Anglicans...
I will give that some research and get back to you.

...that had to be extended to all the other Christian churches, and then to the less popular ones, and then to all the new ones that were invented as a tax dodge. And the longer it goes on, the wronger (and more profitable) it grows.
It extends to all religions, not just churches. You tell me, would it be better to have the government's finger on religion, or off religion. I think taxation is a very effective tool in subverting anything in society. The less government involvement, the better.

My free speech is thwarted in my own house since I have to pay property taxes in order to remain there.

Is my ability to believe in non-sense even more important than free speech.

Would raising your taxes keep you from talking? Maybe if you were part of a political group that wasn't popular with local or federal officials...

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/why-is-any-political-group-exempt-from-taxes/
If they were raised so much that I couldn't afford to stay in my house. Obviously, I could still be a homeless person and say whatever I wanted to. People can pray whenever they want to as well regardless of how much their church was taxed.

They should be taxed just like everyone else.

People can pray whenever they want to as well regardless of how much their church was taxed.

They should be taxed just like everyone else.
But could they function the same as an organization had their property been seized by way of taxation?

A person cannot freely practice their religion unless they are free from everyone else's religion. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion go hand in hand.
I agree and believe that the "Establishment Clause" addresses this, but in practice seems to favor Religious rights vs Secular rights.

If the government doesn't represent the people, what use is it?
It supposed to represent the secular aspects of society ie not to dabble in the hocus pocus magic of religion

Unfortunately to many politicians are only to happy to parade their hocus pocus credentials to garner votes from those who share the politicians particular religious fantasy and by extension want the said politician to be involved in secular laws to mirror the religious beliefs

:)

But could they function the same as an organization had their property been seized by way of taxation?
They can pay their taxes just like anybody else. The organization shouldn't really have special protections. The organization isn't the religion.

Last edited:
Okay, so it's a like a quick prayer and then move on?

You can't prey while walking?
I understand there are now some places where you can't text while walking, with particular attention to crossing the road

Next case me Lord prey while crossing the road when the walking legs had turned red

Unfortunately to many politicians are only to happy to parade their hocus pocus credentials to garner votes from those who share the politicians particular religious fantasy and by extension want the said politician to be involved in secular laws to mirror the religious beliefs
Yes, such credentials can be misused. But even a Democrat will vote for a candidate who parrots their values.

Yes, such credentials can be misused. But even a Democrat will vote for a candidate who parrots their values.
Of course the credentials ARE misused

The disease affects all flavours of politics and leaves a bitter taste (hypocrisy has a very bitter taste)

While trying, in Australian politics here, to give some politicians the benefit of doubt, that they are acting in the interest of voters, it is becoming a acting part for me to do so

Back