Should anyone be allowed to marry?

Originally posted by Mystech
There are indeed valid reasons for government to recognize marriages.

I don't agree, but concede your right to disagree. :)

First off marriage tends to be a fairly communistic sort of relationship, you tend not to think of everything as being yours or your spouses, but eventually end up just claiming it as joint property, this is crucial in the event of a divorce.

Still doesn't mean that the government cares about your marriage specifically. The marriage should be introduced (to the court) as part of the relationship that you have which creates the dispute for the property. This ensure that the government stays out of your personal business until you make it their business (by asking them to arbitrate the property dispute that resulted from your relationship).

If this happens, and there isn't any legal precedent for marriage, the task of determining who actually owns what when the couple splits could get ugly (um ok, uglier than it is already).

Well, I think I could formulate a reasonable argument to the exact contrary based on the premise that the tension between any two people who share property is always going to be high if there is no definate contract regarding said property. Something like that. I just don't think that it really gets any uglier than it already is. I've been informed of some people really fucking each other over in a hardcore manner. Murder for instance... so I have sincere doubt as to the validity of your stated concern.

Aside from that, if medical insurance companies offer to cover the spouse of a client, fraud is extremely simple when no legal institution of marriage is recognized.

I was thinking that problem is resolved by the concept of a "dependent". Maybe not. You might have a point.. but I'd think we could devise a way to circumvent that problem that doesn't involve government sanctions. Maybe as someone suggested the government should merely sanction them in a benign way, such that it is informational rather than authoritative.

Also, when trying to prove that one can provide a good family environment (for child custody or adoption purposes) being able to legally prove marriage is handy, as it'll gain you a few points.

Yeah, but that's a problem with legal ethics and public opinion. To use marriage as a tool in this manner is manipulative and somewhat dishonest. I suppose it may testify to the stability of your life. I think though that it is a matter of principle to avoid as much government involvement/sanctioning/prejudice as possible, so I'd be inclined to find another workaround.

Legal recognition of marriage is a useful thing, though the tax break may be nothing but a monetary benefit designed to reward conservative family values, I think the government is well justified to be the one handing out marriage licenses.

Somewhat yeah... but again to me it's just a matter of principle to minimize government involvement where it is rational to do so. I think as a matter of principle the government should NOT condone or reward preferential treatment just because someone wants to maintain a "mate" relationship with someone for an amount of time that they generally lie about (just that there are a lot of divorces).

Okay so to be honest i just don't like the idea of the government condoning personal relationships... it seems very very wrong to me on principle.. so I tend to steer away from it in debate... you do bring up valid issues, but I think they could be dealt with in a reasonable factor that minimized government involvement.

Originally posted by wesmorris

Okay so to be honest i just don't like the idea of the government condoning personal relationships... it seems very very wrong to me on principle.. so I tend to steer away from it in debate... you do bring up valid issues, but I think they could be dealt with in a reasonable factor that minimized government involvement.

That's a view that I find very easy to respect, if not completely agree with. Still, though, I think that in practicality there is need for marriage to be an officially sanctioned institution due to the legal situations which can arise quite easily from it.

Yeah maybe as long as it's limited to two actual people it might work fine. Yeah that's cool. As long as the shit makes sense I'm down. It doesn't seem to now, but that's of course because of aboot what, 30% maybe 50% of people doubt the validity of homosexuality period? I think those people just write it off as invalid and boom, debate over. It's tough to fight vacuus logic eh? Hehe.. can't argue with you if you won't even come to the table damnit. :)

(note it was the proverbial 'you')

We don't need marriage as official institution, just some tax-breaks and support for people having children that's all.

We need to get rid religion (it's poison) and divorcetrials (where usually the male loses a lot of money!!) anyway....

Originally posted by Vortexx
We need to get rid religion

Haha, agreed, religion must die, and we must be the ones to kill it!

To that end I'd remind everyone reading that America's ban on "assault weapons" lifts in 2004.

i dont think people should be allowed to shit anytime they please! i propose
every other day. trangressions should be dealt with severely. penalties could include - shitting privileges to be withdrawn for extended periods of time/mandatory confiscation of commode/lockdown of flush mechanism.

what do you think?

advantages of proposal? hmm lets see...... water conservation, less pollution, reduction in population due to shit storage complications.

i also submit that constipated individuals be lauded and give heroic status

Originally posted by spookz
sorry! thought you guys would appreciate another fascist proposal thats all

:D

You know I've always wanted to get lauded.

*squeezes those cheeks*

Someday I'll be king!

Back