Hercules
Vesta
Proserpine
Pluto
Yahweh
Allah
God Almighty
Just a short list of man-made gods

I don't have a problem with a thread like this existing, but perhaps you'd be kind enough to format them into a comma separated list so less scrolling is necessary?

After you've done that, would you mind hot-linking each entry to it's associated Wikipedia page?

(that last part was a joke)

;)

EDIT: Oh, and I feel sorry for those who had to pray to Huitzilopohctl, Quetzalcoatl, Tezcamtlipoca, Chalichiuhtlicue and Xochizuetzal out loud, by name.

I find this format gives more emphasis on the sheer numbers of deities humans have made throughout history...it also shows a growing lack of credibility for everyone one you count.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities

Some theists will likely argue that the imagining of such deities throughout history is contextualized by the actual existence of one supreme being, or that they are all ultimately the result of the Satan's mischief in trying to lead people away from the one true god, or that none of them quite measure up in a comparison, or some variation of any or all of those things.

Right, Well i suppose i'll rebuddle with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVusPTM0P9o
But the bigger question is, what makes your god anymore real than the others?
EDIT - never heard of the word "henological" I take it ...
Too many religions for only one god? Seems legit.
Kind of like acupuncture, surgery, medication, massage, diet, snake oil tonic, etc etc - Too many categories of medical application (and just see how diversified the list gets once you start sub-dividing the categories!!!) is also far too many ... at least according to a certain type of two dimensional thinking
:shrug:

When you put it that way, there are far more gods or demi-gods that accompany each major one. Each god as credible as the one before or after it. These are just the major gods. As for the two dimensional thinking or your implication of me having a delusional dichotomist world view . Do you worship or believe in any of these gods? If not you would be considered an “atheist” in that culture. Now I understand that most of these gods are seen as fictions or just mythological, we know that the tales of the Greek, Mayan, Aztec, Babylonian, Chinese, Japanese and Roman/Latin gods are considered false and yet when it comes to monotheism it is seen with more validity? One could say that these gods “died out” or “ they were truly vanquished by the one and true god” If there is truly only ONE supreme diety...why are there so many religions with so many different separate gods. Would "he" not have vindicated it's existance to all the people of all the continents of the world? Yet we have this list as a testmant against that notion. "We are all atheist to most of the gods that societies have created...Some of us just go one god further." I’m sure you're familiar with the person who quoted that.:p

The continuum of man's progressive conception of a god. The god doesn't necessarily change.

"We are all atheist to most of the gods that societies have created...Some of us just go one god further." I’m sure you're familiar with the person who quoted that.:p
Kind of like saying there is no essential difference between a virgin and a pregnant woman ... since a pregnant woman has only had (at least) one sexual encounter more.
:shrug:

If there is no credibility in all the polytheistic gods...what makes the monotheistic gods anymore likely to even exist? If the monotheistic society discredits all the other gods and don’t believe in those other gods as real, how can one expect everyone to believe in a single deity if other such deities are false and pretense? Is it that reprehensible, is it that taboo to reject all the other gods as fairytales and know that for a fact that they are fairytales and then simply add one more to the list. To reject thousands of other gods except the one that just happens to be the god of the most powerful and influential monotheistic religions around today…. that is where these societies draw the line? Why is this? We both know the answer to that question lightgigantic.

Last edited:
All conceptions of a god or gods are only the best approximation of a given people and time. No one see such things free of subjectivity.

Fair enough, regardless of how subjective the concepts are i still see no credibility in the gods of polytheism and monotheism. The Abrahamic god is simply too powerful.

Kind of like acupuncture, surgery, medication, massage, diet, snake oil tonic, etc etc - Too many categories of medical application (and just see how diversified the list gets once you start sub-dividing the categories!!!) is also far too many ... at least according to a certain type of two dimensional thinking

If one is born outside of organized religion, then, yes, the multitude of gods is most likely bewildering, and one isn't likely to believe in any one of them.
Similar if one has had bad experiences with those who identify themselves as "theists" - the whole notion of "God" begins to seem artificial.

I've brought this up many times. Why do you continue refuse to acknowledge that?

If one is born outside of organized religion, then, yes, the multitude of gods is most likely bewildering, and one isn't likely to believe in any one of them.
Similar if one has had bad experiences with those who identify themselves as "theists" - the whole notion of "God" begins to seem artificial.

I've brought this up many times. Why do you continue refuse to acknowledge that?
probably because I can't relate to it since I was born outside of organized religion

probably because I can't relate to it since I was born outside of organized religion

But you had good experiences with theists from the beginning, or at least at a crucial point in your life.

Many people haven't.

You probably have no experience, and thus no basis to understand, what it is like to be shunned by theists, to be considered a third-class being by the very people whom you are supposed to unconditionally trust for your salvation.

If there is no credibility in all the polytheistic gods...what makes the monotheistic gods anymore likely to even exist? If the monotheistic society discredits all the other gods and don’t believe in those other gods as real, how can one expect everyone to believe in a single deity if other such deities are false and pretense? Is it that reprehensible, is it that taboo to reject all the other gods as fairytales and know that for a fact that they are fairytales and then simply add one more to the list. To reject thousands of other gods except the one that just happens to be the god of the most powerful and influential monotheistic religions around today…. that is where these societies draw the line? Why is this? We both know the answer to that question lightgigantic.
which of these pictures of trees has no credibility?
(I will do it over 2 posts since there is a limit on images/post)
Tree_2166149.jpg

CEN1000A.jpg

tin-anewen-3.jpg

I don't know the answer to that question.

You believe you know it?

How have you come to know it?

When you put it that way, there are far more gods or demi-gods that accompany each major one. Each god as credible as the one before or after it. These are just the major gods. As for the two dimensional thinking or your implication of me having a delusional dichotomist world view . Do you worship or believe in any of these gods? If not you would be considered an “atheist” in that culture. Now I understand that most of these gods are seen as fictions or just mythological, we know that the tales of the Greek, Mayan, Aztec, Babylonian, Chinese, Japanese and Roman/Latin gods are considered false and yet when it comes to monotheism it is seen with more validity? One could say that these gods “died out” or “ they were truly vanquished by the one and true god” If there is truly only ONE supreme diety...why are there so many religions with so many different separate gods. Would "he" not have vindicated it's existance to all the people of all the continents of the world? Yet we have this list as a testmant against that notion. "We are all atheist to most of the gods that societies have created...Some of us just go one god further." I’m sure you're familiar with the person who quoted that.:p

Monotheism is successful because it demands all other gods to be false, or inferior, to its own. It has a natural survival instinct. You'll notice Yahweh's excessive throat-clearing in the Old Testament, which is a necessity in a time and landscape where the majority of people worshiped different (and often several different) gods. And you ask the million-dollar question: What makes this one so special? The answer is simply that Yahweh had the better armies. He won the wars. Polytheistic religions tended to be inclusive, since there was no concept of a "one true god" in that worldview. It is only in monotheism that the god's authority is dependent on the smiting of another's gods.

This nonsense about all gods being a reflection of an ultimate originator is just their coping mechanism for the fact that o

Back