Shoot me down. Please.

Jenyar said:
Halcyon,
Cherubim were depicted on the Ark of the covenant. Thousands of years before Revelation was even conceived.
Granted; I was just implying that he shouldn't use literal interpretations of that particular book as a basis for questions put up for scholarly discussion due to it's credibility as an inspired christian text.

StarOfEight said:
And isn't John a political statement against the Jews, and isn't Cain and Abel a political statement against the Canaanites? I mean, if you're going to discredit one book of the Bible because of the scholarship, I can't imagine there's too many that'd be left standing.
I was about to say "And there you go," but; Neither of those books use coded references to authority to avoid persecution of the authors, coded references for everything. It was just supposed to be a tract subverting Nero Caesar and was taken out of context; it has nothing to do with a true christian apocalypse and doesn't offer any foundation for the religion, a trait that the other books could be said to be had(or so I'll say until I can go re-read the particular ones you mentioned).

b0urgeoisie said:
Nothing is obvious from this passage. If you use it as you have tried to, then you must account for the creation in "the secret place". You must also account for the creation under the Earth. Also, what is meant by "unformed' body?
Finally, the term creation and "mother's womb" are seperate ideas. The author claims to have been created and then knit together in the womb.

Well, there are two themes at work here.

The spiritual and the physical.

Now a person's spirit is not formed inside the womb (not that I know of), since that would make it perishable. Therefore the author describes the 'place' where the spirit is 'made' as the 'secret place'.

I think the "depths of th earth" refers to the formation of the physical body away from prying eyes since the context reveals the verses to be poetry as opposed to prose.

"Unformed body" simply refers to fetus.

The weaving together I suppose is when spirit and body meet.

The fact that it is poetry makes interpretation more difficult but I see no flaws in what I have presented. Tell me what you think of the interpretation.

§outh§tar said:
Well, there are two themes at work here.

The spiritual and the physical.

Now a person's spirit is not formed inside the womb (not that I know of), since that would make it perishable. Therefore the author describes the 'place' where the spirit is 'made' as the 'secret place'.

I think the "depths of th earth" refers to the formation of the physical body away from prying eyes since the context reveals the verses to be poetry as opposed to prose.

"Unformed body" simply refers to fetus.

The weaving together I suppose is when spirit and body meet.

The fact that it is poetry makes interpretation more difficult but I see no flaws in what I have presented. Tell me what you think of the interpretation.
Does the spirit exist before the body is formed?

§outh§tar said:
That I can not say for I simply don't know.
I don't believe we existed as we do now. I also do not believe in reincarnation. But, I think we are a part of something bigger. I think it must be bigger than our creator.
I do not believe that conflicts with the 10 commandments. Because, God is the only part of the bigger something that we can concern ourselves with. But, I can't accept that God is alone.

If God isn't "alone" in nature then He wouldn't be God, now would He? :D

Omnipotence especially does not allow for any equals or superiors.

§outh§tar said:
If God isn't "alone" in nature then He wouldn't be God, now would He? :D

Omnipotence especially does not allow for any equals or superiors.
Why not? Omnipotence only describes His power. It does not attempt to describe the power outside of his own.

b0urgeoisie said:
Why not? Omnipotence only describes His power. It does not attempt to describe the power outside of his own.

Words and their meanings is interesting.

Omnipotent: To have "Unlimited Authority or Power".

Unlimited: "Without limits or boundries"

Infinite: "Lacking Limits or Bounds"

Interesting, by definition something infinite does not and cannot exist as a physical reality.

So by making your God "Omnipotent" you also relagate him to being imaginary and unreal. I can accept that. HeHeHe. :D

Back