Sect leader convicted in Utah

Nasor said:

But Utah's three-year barrier doesn't apply if the people involved are married. And, somewhat astoundingly, it's actually legal for a 14-year-old to marry a 19-year-old in Nevada (where their marriage ceremony was performed) if the parents consent. It was still technically illegal, since they simply had a ceremony without properly registering the marriage with the state, but they were actually obeying the spirit of the law.

I admit I haven't gone back and checked the statutes on this one, but in either Utah or Nevada, is it legal to marry your cousin? If so, I guess there's an issue to settle with Utah or Nevada. If not, I don't think Steed has much of a defense. What will be interesting is if we get to hear or read the context of Steed's statement, given under cross-examination in the Jeffs trial, that for some reason the laws don't apply to him. (See Riccardi article; or not, since we don't have the actual quote of Steed's words.)

I admit I haven't gone back and checked the statutes on this one, ...

So ...is that admitting to jumping on the sensationalist bandwagon when you posted the original topic weeks ago? Just repeating sensationalist bullshit news stories without checking into any of it? ....LOL!

I'll remember that, Tiassa, the next time you post something! :D

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

So ...is that admitting to jumping on the sensationalist bandwagon when you posted the original topic weeks ago? Just repeating sensationalist bullshit news stories without checking into any of it?

You're right, Max. I should have simply presumed Utah and Arizona to deviate from standard cultural norms. After all, I do have the precedent of Alabama.

Would you like an inkwell, Max, to dip my ponytail in?

NRS 201.180 Incest: Definition; penalty. Persons being within the degree of consanguinity within which marriages are declared by law to be incestuous and void who intermarry with each other or who commit fornication or adultery with each other shall be punished for a category A felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of life with the possibility of parole, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $10,000. (Nevada Revised Statutes)

• • •​

13-3608. Incest; classification

Persons who are eighteen or more years of age and are within the degrees of consanguinity within which marriages are declared by law to be incestuous and void, who knowingly intermarry with each other, or who knowingly commit fornication or adultery with each other are guilty of a class 4 felony.
(Arizona Revised Statutes)

See, Max, I would worry about not looking up the statute if I really expected to be surprised. That surprise rests at the core of Nasor's assertion that these marriages in general--thus also the specific union in question--"were actually obeying the spirit of the law."

When you get yourself all worked up like that, Max, you often miss some fairly obvious notions. It was a really safe bet that incestuous marriages weren't legal in either state. There wasn't much subtle about the context.

I'll remember that, Tiassa, the next time you post something!

I'd be honored, except that this is a symptom of your illness, Max. Get help. This obsession of yours is not healthy. I'm not that important.

Admit it, Tiassa, you're just a sensationalist ...and you love to "scoop" the hot stories and pass judgements before you even know the facts of the case or story.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

Admit it, Tiassa, you're just a sensationalist

Everybody's got a little bit of sensationalism in them.

...and you love to "scoop" the hot stories and pass judgements before you even know the facts of the case or story.

Like I said, this was a safe bet.

You ought to try two things, Max: first, have some real principles; secondly, don't be so afraid of your own humanity. These two conditions are not incompatible, and by making them part of your own condition, you'll be doing much to help eliminate the stigma of your obsession with my purity.

You can suffer the disease of your hatred in silence, or you can take a chance and trust people to help you rise up from that pit of depression. But as long as you continue in your quest to inflict that disease on others, don't be surprised when people consider your behavior indicative of a sick mind.

Everybody's got a little bit of sensationalism in them.

Yeah, but most of us try to control it to some extent.

You, on the other hand, ....? Well, let's just say that you do everything that you can to sensationalize anything derogatory about the police, which only shows your prejudice and your hatred.

Max: first, have some real principles...

I have principles! One is that all humans are greedy, vicious, selfish assholes; and some humans are more greedy, more vicious, and more selfish assholes than the others.

secondly, don't be so afraid of your own humanity.

I'm not afraid of it, Tiassa, I'm ashamed of it. How anyone can be otherwise is totally beyond my poor abilities to comprehend.

But unlike you, when I see that someone's done something stupid, I usually just shake my head knowingly. You, on the other hand, see that one cop does something stupid, you rail and rant against all cops and all authority as if one stupid cop is proof that all cops are stupid.

You can suffer the disease of your hatred in silence, ...

Or one can be like you, Tiassa ....you hate cops, so you rant and rail against them when you probably should keep your mouth shut!

Sensationalism does no one any good, but often does a lot of harm to many. And yet you continue to sensationalize issues, especially against cops. Get help, Tiassa.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:
I have principles! One is that all humans are greedy, vicious, selfish assholes; and some humans are more greedy, more vicious, and more selfish assholes than the others.

Like I said, Max, real principles.

You can take your childish tantrum to the relevant topic, or you can continue to whine. I'll be happy to accommodate you either way.

Allen Steed, through attorneys, asked a judge on Friday to dismiss rape charges against him stemming from his testimony in the trial of convicted religious leader Warren Jeffs.

A man whose ceremonial marriage to a 14-year-old was the focus of a polygamous sect leader's trial asked a judge to dismiss a rape charge against him.

Allen Steed was charged after testifying at the trial of Warren Jeffs, who was convicted on two counts of rape as an accomplice for his role in overseeing the union. Attorneys for Steed said the charge was filed more than six years after he married the teen.

"In that time, evidence has been lost, critical witnesses have died and the memories of others have faded," Jim Bradshaw wrote in a document filed Thursday in 5th District Court in Washington County.

(Time.com)

I haven't yet found the statute of limitations on this, which may well be be his strongest argument. We'll see.

Warren Jeffs, on the other hand, is scheduled for sentencing on Tuesday.

Back