Scientists Find Soft Tissue in T-Rex Bone

I'm not sure how the science works. But if soft tissue can stick around for 70 million years we should change our precepts about whats possible..
As I read it is fossilized, but only in a molecular state, i.e., that is a fossil which has a simmilar structure as the original, but it's now made from entirely different components, i.e., it's not really flesh anymore, it's a fossil that feels like flesh, a replica.

MacM said:
I don't know you, so this is not an attack on what you have said; however, I am confused about your absoluteness regarding no useable DNA. They have already replicated some prehistoric insects that were traped in pertified tree sap.

PCR amplification of ancient DNA is routine for comparative analysis, but even for short sequences, faulty. Now if we scale it up to a genome-wide scale...

I've never heard of the replication of prehistoric insects. Do you have a citation? If true, that would be really cool.

spuriousmonkey said:
I can confirm what Zyncoid said. I heard it from an expert on the topic once during a lecture.

Ugh. Even though you're right, don't take 'experts' for their word on anything. If you're a scientist, it's your job to be critical.

Christopher said:
Ugh. Even though you're right, don't take 'experts' for their word on anything. If you're a scientist, it's your job to be critical.

That was the critical view that was being expressed.

Back