Science vs Religion

Originally posted by Richie_LaMontre
So if my child states in a biology class that man was created and not evolved, he doesn't get an an "F"?

Ah. Now you are critiquing the education system. Students are not encouraged and much of the time not allowed to question and debate the teachers. And I agree that that is a sad state of affairs. But I do recall it being taught as the "Theory of Evolution". And it most definitely is taught as theory at the University level.

I have found even more absurdity in English classes. Where the professor's interpretation of a work was the only accepted answer on the test. And this in a field that is entirely subjective.

Classroom tests, unfortunately, often demand only that the student repeat back what was said in class. Understanding, debate, logic, counterargument, do not enter into it. I agree that this is a terrible way to teach but it does not demonstrate the notion that the sciences are attempting to indoctrinate the students. Merely, that most teachers have too many students or are otherwise uninterested in teaching student how to think on their own. This is a topic for another thread.

And as I said, in the mean time, we use them in the schools as a little carrot on a stick. Just to keep em interested.

I'm not sure I understand your analogy but once again we're discussing the education system.

--------------------------------------------------------------

These things are presented as indisputable simply because you can't prove it DIDN'T happen the way it is stated to have happened. Im sorry, but thats just not science.

Ah I see, what your saying here in effect is that evolution cannot be disproven, therefore it is true. Sounds like religious talk to me.

Evolution is not presented as indisputable. The refutations have been analyzed and eliminated. That is science. What you state is not what evolution is about. I cannot speak for people who may have argued in this fashion but the theory of evolution does not rely on this fallacious defense.

To answer the second point; that is not what I said. I said "a particular fact." If you can eliminate all the supporting evidence or if you can demonstrate a valid contrary fact then yes you will have invalidated evolution. But, believe me, you have tons of evidence to eliminate first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks....but your sidestepping the issue again. This does not in any way invalidtae my point.
This is why I say that evolution is a religion and not legitimate science at all.

It invalidates one of your statements. One that you repeat again in this post. The one stating that evolution is religion. I gave you the definition of religion. Evolution states nothing about God or the supernatural. How then can it be religion? You may state that it's like religion if you want (and hopefully will then point out the similarities). For instance; You may state that it is an unfounded belief (in which case you'd be wrong) which would make it similar to religion. But you cannot say it IS religion. That is calling it something it decidedly is not.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, but there could have been a lot happen in the mean time. And if I was to say that the Dinosaurs lived during that time, you could neither refute me nor could I actually prove i was right.

Actually it says: Genesis 1:5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day. Doesn't leave much time for the dinosaurs to be around, does it? But lets leave off this particular track.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the kind of detail that is reported in many of the evolutionary contrivances. And certainly, if it really were as accurate as all that, the missing link would not still be missing.

Actually, it is exactly the kind of detail given in the published works. And it's not missing. There are some very nice transitionary proto human fossils.

Of course.....but I think forensic science has had as many successes as failures.

Of course it does. Sometimes a bone fragment (still using your example) does not provide enough evidence. This does not mean that it's successes are a matter of chance. It simply means that in this case there wasn't enough information to make a determination.

But the massive failures of the evolutionary contrivances, from a single bone which in many cases has been proven NOT to be what it was thought to be (or stated to be) in the first place?

Show me one of the "massive" failures. And I don't mean an isolated piece of "evidence" that was later disproved. That would not be a "massive" failure.

Refutable is undoubtedly the correct term for it. That is not the question. The question is why, when so many DO refute it, they are dismissed and accused of having simply a "religious bias"?

And, to restate my position, for reasons that seem very hypocritical considering that the "facts" which support evolution simply do not draw a complete picture. … Its an idea, and its a good one, but it is still just an alternative to the creation model. And CERTAINLY no more complete.

Where do you get valid scientific evidence for the origin of man and the planet he lives on? All you can do is theorize, based upon valid fact possibly, but still only theory.

No, it does not draw a complete picture, there are missing pieces, there are issues still under debate. No, we do not have facts to prove every single step along the path to evolution. Most of the time, people who attempt to refute all of evolution (not just a particular method or fact) have either 1. an incomplete understanding of what it actually is or 2. another agenda (often religious in nature). I've included a piece regarding your argument of "proof" below.

~Raithere

Excerpt from (http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html)

"Evolution is only a theory; it hasn't been proved."
First, we should clarify what "evolution" means. Like so many other words, it has more than one meaning. Its strict biological definition is "a change in allele frequencies over time." By that definition, evolution is an indisputable fact.

Most people seem to associate the word "evolution" mainly with common descent, the theory that all life arose from one common ancestor. Many people believe that there is enough evidence to call this a fact, too. However, common descent is still not the theory of evolution, but just a fraction of it (and a part of several quite different theories as well). The theory of evolution not only says that life evolved, it also includes mechanisms, like mutations, natural selection, and genetic drift, which go a long way towards explaining how life evolved.

Calling the theory of evolution "only a theory" is, strictly speaking, true, but the idea it tries to convey is completely wrong. The argument rests on a confusion between what "theory" means in informal usage and in a scientific context. A theory, in the scientific sense, is "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" [Random House American College Dictionary]. The term does not imply tentativeness or lack of certainty.

Generally speaking, scientific theories differ from scientific laws only in that laws can be expressed more tersely. Being a theory implies self-consistency, agreement with observations, and usefulness. (Creationism fails to be a theory mainly because of the last point; it makes few or no specific claims about what we would expect to find, so it can't be used for anything. When it does make falsifiable predictions, they prove to be false.)

Lack of proof isn't a weakness, either. On the contrary, claiming infallibility for one's conclusions is a sign of hubris. Nothing in the real world has ever been rigorously proved, or ever will be. Proof, in the mathematical sense, is possible only if you have the luxury of defining the universe you're operating in. In the real world, we must deal with levels of certainty based on observed evidence. The more and better evidence we have for something, the more certainty we assign to it; when there is enough evidence, we label the something a fact, even though it still isn't 100% certain.

What evolution has is what any good scientific claim has--evidence, and lots of it. Evolution is supported by a wide range of observations throughout the fields of genetics, anatomy, ecology, animal behavior, paleontology, and others. If you wish to challenge the theory of evolution, you must address that evidence. You must show that the evidence is either wrong or irrelevant or that it fits another theory better. Of course, to do this, you must know both the theory and the evidence.

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
That describes religion in the same way as saying a car is a metal box with windows made of glass.

It is not a complete definition of all concepts and matters of religion. This much is true. It's not intended to be.

Let's explore your analogy a bit. How's this for the definition of a car: A self-propelled vehicle with four wheels suitable for use on a street or roadway.

You'll note that this says nothing about seats, color, or even glass windows. But if we can agree that the above are the minimum requirements for a car then we CAN determine what is not a car. If someone comes along and says "A car is a small round pot made of ceramic to put plants in." we can definitively tell them "no, that is NOT a car.".

Agreement upon the meaning of terms is necessary for proper discussion and debate. If we start arguing about the description of a bass and you start talking about strings while I talk about gills we may as well not talk about anything.

It is generally acceptable to use a dictionary to assist us in this endevor. When you argue against the generally accepted meaning of a word as part of your debate... well first that is the fallacy of begging the question. Secondly, we might as well discuss bass.

~Raithere

Came across a definition recently for the term “unbiasedness.”

unbiasedness: “...says only that there is no systematic tendency to underestimate or overestimate the truth.”

And a common ’usage’ definition for “truth.”

truth: n. 1. Conformity to fact or actuality. 2. Fidelity to an original or standard. 3. Reality; actuality. 4. A statement proven to be or accepted as true. (Only going to take us so far, but it’s the starting point.)

And while we’re at it, how about another common one for “fact.”

fact: n. 1. Something put forth as objectively real. 2. Something objectively verified. 3. a. Something with real, demonstrable existence {example: Travel to the moon is now a fact.} b. The quality of being real or actual. 4. Something carried out or performed. 5. Law a. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence as distinguished from interpretation of law.

In a Science Vs. Religion debate it’s inevitable that such terms will be depended upon by both sides when trying to make their points. However, Ritchie points out that he has other objections:

Refutable is undoubtedly the correct term for it. That is not the question. The question is why, when so many DO refute it, they are dismissed and accused of having simply a "religious bias"? And, to restate my position, for reasons that seem very hypocritical considering that the "facts" which support evolution simply do not draw a complete picture. Its an idea, and its a good one, but it is still just an alternative to the creation model. And CERTAINLY no more complete....

Why?

To begin with, it’s going to depend on how one defines or interprets the meanings of certain words. One can claim to have “refuted” (disproved) when all one has done is to (deny) the accuracy or truth of something. “Bias” is partiality, prejudice, prepossession. But understanding the causes of some types of bias are more important than stating the fact that there is any bias at all. Why is there bias in favor of certain theories and evidence? What makes some theories and evidence more credible? Why shouldn’t bias in favor of one’s faith and emotions be considered as important as other types of “proof?”

To “deny” is to declare something as untrue; to refuse to believe or accept; to reject.

To “refute” implies the use of evidence to disprove a claim.

To claim that something is a “religion” when it does not match the standard definition of such a word (or make sense in any other light) will do virtually nothing to convince others they are wrong to reject the claim, but will almost always undermine the claimant’s credibility if he continues to refuse to consider the error in his logic.

Yes, and in the mean time, it is plastered all over the college and high school text books and presented as, if not at least taken as, "fact" until it is finally refuted ONCE AGAIN and the next failed theory comes along to replace it. I understand that all this is necessary for science to thrive. And I agree that it is certainly legitimate as such. But this, again, sidesteps my point.

Science thrives because Science has persisted in its search for truth and understanding (against the often vehement will of religion) and because it has, in fact, helped to explain many things to the satisfaction and wonder of Mankind that no priest ever could, or would.

So when we look at the claims of religion (any claim that supports the belief of a supernatural creator) and then at claims from those who support evolution (without a god/creator) --what do we have?

Well... we have a heap of evidence/facts to support evolution, even if these theories don’t add up to make a complete picture in everyone’s minds, compared to a significantly lesser amount of evidence/facts used by various and sundry religionists to support their creation assertions.

Theories of evolution are, indeed, an “alternative” to other creation models. But they are more than just an alternative however because of the sheer amount of supporting evidence that’s already been discovered, with more of it turning up everyday. Evidence of a classical nature. Much of which is the same sort of evidence processed by methods we’ve used to determine whether or not (as the above definition reminded) that “Travel to the moon is now a fact.” How “complete” any evolution model is depends upon the standards imposed. An honest proponent of evolution will admit that he doesn’t have all the answers. The same with an honest scientist, or an honest creationist, on & on...

Good research is accomplished when researchers keep an open mind about what they’ve discovered, about what each discovery could mean, and ultimately, how each is presented to the public--as or when they are. Evolution is taught along with many science courses today because evolution makes more sense than other alternatives. Because it has been (and is) agreed upon by many of the world’s most learned minds that the evidence adds up to a more cohesive total. Once upon a time it was argued (nay, insisted upon) that the sun revolved around the earth, but since that time we’ve accrued a ton of evidence to support the alternative theory that the opposite is true. In this respect, it appears that “evolution” is following a similar path in it’s history as have many other theories; particularly theories that have not fallen in line with what various religions would have the public accept as factual truth. Having one theory rejected in favor of another, time and again, is only a problem if nothing is learned or gained.

At this point evidence for evolution has mounted to such a degree that (most) reasonable people see little or no purpose in bothering to deny or refute many of the fundamental postulates involved. Accepting evolution as we understand it so far is typically a problem for those who will not keep an open mind--and perhaps for those who are afraid; for those don‘t really understand that all scientific theories are subject to overthrow when an appropriate amount (and type) of doubt warrants it. Or a problem for those who think they must have a complete understanding of everything in the universe and beyond, even though it’s unlikely that such understanding will ever be possible for Man as he exists now.

In essence the “sin” of Darwinism was/is the proposal of theories that have required us to revise or expand our view; to work and live with the increasing possibility “that all natural things have real, though often unknown, essences that can serve as a basis for their differentiation into species.” Evolution doesn’t cross the line and theorize that supernatural entities have been/are involved, especially as it does not appear so far that any super sort of nature was ever involved in the creation of life, or ever needed. If against all odds such evidence should turn up, then it should be examined just as carefully as pro-evolution evidence before Science presents it as truth or fact or discards it. For more about the proper use of the “Scientific Method,” the nature and validity of what we call evidence, see Q’s thread: “Critical Thinking.”

Religion has had a much longer time than Science to produce credible evidence (“evidence” by most anyone’s standards) for its own creation theories, yet in this day and age we see increasing numbers of people who, though still willing to admit to having some sort of faith, are nonetheless decreasingly willing to accept the so-called proof offered by said religions because humans are more aware and less afraid now to use the freedom they have to think for themselves than in any other time in documented history. A thinking human need not take the claims of religion (or of anyone) as a whole to see some of the flaws, but even when one does consider creationist theories overall, (and many have), one is usually left with little that is not of a highly subjective nature.

Too, the notion that life is subject to natural laws that guarantee the survival of the fittest goes squarely against much of what many religions teach. It’s no small surprise that supporters of religionist’s claims to the contrary would balk at what has slowly but surely been unclenching the stranglehold religion has had on Man’s mind and the quality of his existence. Religion teaches, even admonishes, Man to accept limitations on his knowledge, his human abilities, and to embrace myriad interpretations of scriptures that do more to confound than enlighten anyone who will not sacrifice his rationality.

Science takes far more care when it comes to influencing Man’s view and helping him to untangle the mysteries of life, and has a far better track record when it comes to not trying to force a man to accept that which makes no sense, largely because there is little evidence to convince him otherwise. The standards Science has set for itself have always been very different from many of those set by Religion.

Like all scientific theories, Evolution will have to stand the test of time and endure the scrutiny of those whose lives it will affect. We’ve survived the reluctant acceptance that the rest of the universe does not revolve around our planet. Chances are pretty good, I think, that we can survive even more truth.

It is just truth, after all.

~~~

Counterbalance

Last edited:

This is a perfect description of what evolution has become. It may not be "personal" as in a "personal creator", but it sure carries the rest of that description well. And "worship" is a VERY relative term.

The evolutionists god is "random selection"....chance. And they do homage to him(it). They glorify it in every aspect of their writings and in every nuance of the evolutionary theory. It is the random roll of the dice to which they give all the glory for their very existence.

Does not your belief effect your "conduct of life"? Is not a baby in the womb just a random blob of jelly to the evolutionist?

I mean there are so many spiritual implications carefully couched within evolutionary theory. Denied vehemently by its adherants? Yes. But none-the-less glaringly appearant.

First of all, the term is "natural selection" not "random selection".

Okay, let's follow your logic for a moment. I have some questions about your "religion" of evolution and the things you imply when stating that it's no different from other "religious" dogma.

1. What is your definition of religion? You obviously do not accept the definitions given by dictionaries, etymologists, and linguists so you must have a better one.

2. Where in the theory of evolution does it state anything about the supernatural?

3. What is the method of worship of evolutionists?

4. If we include the fundamental Christian POV of biology (i.e. creation) in schools do we also include other religions? Should we then also teach voodoo in medical school (i.e. I can show corroborative evidence that it works.). How about geocentricism in Astronomy class or the theory that the Sun is God? If not, why?

5. If unproven or disproved religious POVs are going to be accepted, how about non-religious and non-scientific POVs? Are we going to start teaching UFO theories? Should geologists start studying lay lines and dowsing? Should physicists study transubstantiation and telekinesis? If not, why?

6. If the answer to 4 and/or 5 is no. What then is the measure we should use to accept certain teachings but not others?

~Raithere

How so? Religion is a man made institution/concept, in any definition.

The institution of religion is man made, but God isn’t.

Is this not what religion does as well? It is an attempt to rationalize the world around you and take some kind of control over it.

Read the teaching of Jesus Christ or Mohammed and I’m sure there is no attempt to rationalise this world with a view to have some control over it, that is the occupation of demons, if there is any rationalising of this world, it is done to have a greater understanding of God. And knowing that He and only He has control. That’s 'real religion.'

Religion is always described in different ways by those who are the adherants of whatever denomination/belief system you might refer to.

In the same way that mathematics is described differently according to the level of ones understanding, but essentially it is one.

This is not surprizing. It is all rooted in same desire to understand the world around you and relate it to yourself and others some form that is palatable. (palatability being another very relative term.)

That is from your perspective, but that is not what learning to love and serve God is about.

You are talking denominations and practices, I am talking concept and dogma.

Don’t get ya!

I understand your point. And truely atheists have a "religion" even if they refuse to see it that way.

It is no more a religion than a church, temple or synagougue, or mosque, where God is absent due to the sinful activity of its‘religious’ leaders.

Love.

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Raithere
So if my child states in a biology class that man was created and not evolved, he doesn't get an an "F"?

"Ah. Now you are critiquing the education system. Students are not encouraged and much of the time not allowed to question and debate the teachers. And I agree that that is a sad state of affairs. But I do recall it being taught as the "Theory of Evolution". And it most definitely is taught as theory at the University level."

Yes, I understand your point and I knew you'd make it. But that doesn't explain why all others are tossed from the arena. There are many spiritual implications within the topic of evolution I'm sure you would agree. So why are all others treated as "not science" simply because they have roots in a spiritual source. Especially if, as you say, nothing has been proven.

"I have found even more absurdity in English classes. Where the professor's interpretation of a work was the only accepted answer on the test. And this in a field that is entirely subjective."

Of course, accepted as true and understandable given what it is they are given to do.

"Classroom tests, unfortunately, often demand only that the student repeat back what was said in class. Understanding, debate, logic, counterargument, do not enter into it. I agree that this is a terrible way to teach but it does not demonstrate the notion that the sciences are attempting to indoctrinate the students. Merely, that most teachers have too many students or are otherwise uninterested in teaching student how to think on their own. This is a topic for another thread."

Agreed, but my point is not that the education system is wrong, or that even to teach evolution there is a bad thing. MY problem is that evolution is taught as the ONLY answer. And as such it is taken as fact. When there are many other good theories which have compelling evidences. The only difference is the source of those evidences, and the reasons why these evidences have been sought out in the first place. WHY?

And as I said, in the mean time, we use them in the schools as a little carrot on a stick. Just to keep em interested.

"I'm not sure I understand your analogy but once again we're discussing the education system."

The point I am trying to get you to see is that the issue is totally polarized. There are no stated alternatives therefore there is no legitimate research. Until all avenues are made available for each individual involved in the process of deciding, how can there be a decision at all? The "carrot" is the latest theory which usually destroys the one before it, but yet fills some other gap. And so there is always the pat answer, "We don't have all the answers, but were working on it." When in truth, most of the things which filled a gap in the past, were disproved and forgotten. And another gap is filled in its place to distract us from the last. Its like a chess game.

--------------------------------------------------------------

These things are presented as indisputable simply because you can't prove it DIDN'T happen the way it is stated to have happened. Im sorry, but thats just not science.

Ah I see, what your saying here in effect is that evolution cannot be disproven, therefore it is true. Sounds like religious talk to me.

"Evolution is not presented as indisputable."

What shall we dispute it with when all others have been shut out of the debate?

"The refutations have been analyzed and eliminated."

Yes, in favor a theory that is no more or less proven or provable than any other.

"That is science. What you state is not what evolution is about."

Actually Im a big conspiracy nut. :) What it is "about" is far deeper than I'd care to go here. But I believe that others SHOULD be given a voice in the debate. ESPECIALLY within the classroom. No other evidence will ever be found for an alternative when none other is offered.

"I cannot speak for people who may have argued in this fashion but the theory of evolution does not rely on this fallacious defense."

Nope, your right, it relies on facts and figures and the conjecture which is drawn from those. I accept that. But it has become like the "the state religion". Every educational television program refers to monkeys as our "ancestors" now. When there is no proof of such lunacy. Yet it is just accepted. WHY? Because the scientific community has shut the door on any other option. Therefore the education system HAS no other choice.

"To answer the second point; that is not what I said. I said "a particular fact." If you can eliminate all the supporting evidence or if you can demonstrate a valid contrary fact then yes you will have invalidated evolution. But, believe me, you have tons of evidence to eliminate first."

Well after about 50 years of isolationism I'd say your right. MOST of those theories have been given viable alternative solutions which are just as, if not MORE likely, and they have been simply dismissed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks....but your sidestepping the issue again. This does not in any way invalidtae my point.
This is why I say that evolution is a religion and not legitimate science at all.

"It invalidates one of your statements. One that you repeat again in this post. The one stating that evolution is religion. I gave you the definition of religion."

Yes, and I showed you where the similarities ly. Terminology does not make a religion, people do. You just have different terminologies, but in the end, it is VERY much like a church denomination. ESPECIALLY considering the spiritual implications of the theory.

"Evolution states nothing about God or the supernatural. How then can it be religion?"

Actions speak louder than words.

"You may state that it's like religion if you want (and hopefully will then point out the similarities). For instance; You may state that it is an unfounded belief (in which case you'd be wrong)."

I never said it was unfounded. Though I would imagine that you might say such about other alternatives to evolution which may have a religious basis. Would you not? And as you did you would not seem to be speaking from a concern that these poor people are being decieved by "religious fanatasism"......am I wrong? If I am it's ok, I am simply making a point. MANY I have debated on this issue do just that. They are as crusaders for God. They only have different terminologies and sources for their crusade.

"which would make it similar to religion. But you cannot say it IS religion. That is calling it something it decidedly is not."

Perhaps, but only from the textbook definition. Which does not cover the human interaction factors. Its one thing to read a definition of religion and get an ideal. Its another to see it in practice.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, but there could have been a lot happen in the mean time. And if I was to say that the Dinosaurs lived during that time, you could neither refute me nor could I actually prove i was right.

"Actually it says: Genesis 1:5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day. Doesn't leave much time for the dinosaurs to be around, does it? But lets leave off this particular track."

Well, I can't leave it cause you missed it. Verse one, the earth is created, verse two it is under a deluge. God flooded the earth later on in judgement. Who is to say he didn't do it before? And there is good evidince for a couple world wide floods. Dismissed of course but noe-the-less. And so, what happened between verse 1 and verse 2? Point is, no one knows, but it could have been the time of the dinosaurs, and this would well explain the extreme age of the earth, would it not? Just a thought.

Not the kind of detail that is reported in many of the evolutionary contrivances. And certainly, if it really were as accurate as all that, the missing link would not still be missing.

"Actually, it is exactly the kind of detail given in the published works. And it's not missing. There are some very nice transitionary proto human fossils."

NONE of which can be said to be anything but human. Does not cover it.

Of course.....but I think forensic science has had as many successes as failures.

"Of course it does. Sometimes a bone fragment (still using your example) does not provide enough evidence. This does not mean that it's successes are a matter of chance. It simply means that in this case there wasn't enough information to make a determination."

Accepted, I think were agreeing here in an odd sort of way.

But the massive failures of the evolutionary contrivances, from a single bone which in many cases has been proven NOT to be what it was thought to be (or stated to be) in the first place?

"Show me one of the "massive" failures. And I don't mean an isolated piece of "evidence" that was later disproved. That would not be a "massive" failure."

Not disproved, proven to be hoaxes. Another one of those "carrots" we discussed earlier.

Refutable is undoubtedly the correct term for it. That is not the question. The question is why, when so many DO refute it, they are dismissed and accused of having simply a "religious bias"?

And, to restate my position, for reasons that seem very hypocritical considering that the "facts" which support evolution simply do not draw a complete picture. … Its an idea, and its a good one, but it is still just an alternative to the creation model. And CERTAINLY no more complete.

Where do you get valid scientific evidence for the origin of man and the planet he lives on? All you can do is theorize, based upon valid fact possibly, but still only theory.

"No, it does not draw a complete picture, there are missing pieces, there are issues still under debate. No, we do not have facts to prove every single step along the path to evolution."

True, thank you.

"Most of the time, people who attempt to refute all of evolution (not just a particular method or fact) have either 1. an incomplete understanding of what it actually is or 2. another agenda (often religious in nature). I've included a piece regarding your argument of "proof" below."

Well let me address this first. There are MANY in the scientific community who hold to a creation model with a world wide flood and the works. They are dismissed on the grounds that they are "basing their scientific conclusions from a religious bias, as you well know. How is it that a theory can be dreamed up from nothing and accepted. But based on a long standing belief, ridiculed? Sound most suspicious to me.

~Raithere

Excerpt from (http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html)

"Evolution is only a theory; it hasn't been proved."
"First, we should clarify what "evolution" means. Like so many other words, it has more than one meaning. Its strict biological definition is "a change in allele frequencies over time." By that definition, evolution is an indisputable fact."

I will agree with this. However, should not science perhaps be more specific with their terminology? I mean, is this a "science" or not? Well, you know my opinion.

"Most people seem to associate the word "evolution" mainly with common descent, the theory that all life arose from one common ancestor. Many people believe that there is enough evidence to call this a fact, too. However, common descent is still not the theory of evolution, but just a fraction of it (and a part of several quite different theories as well)."

Yes but when it is presented in the classroom, (where all our future scientists are arising from) and when it is presented on educational television, this is EXACTLY what is related. "Check out our couzins the apes!" What a crock.

"The theory of evolution not only says that life evolved, it also includes mechanisms, like mutations, natural selection, and genetic drift, which go a long way towards explaining how life evolved."

They go no where, in fact, they dead end in a mathmatical improbability so amazingly hard to accept, that it would HAVE to simply be accepted on faith.

"Calling the theory of evolution "only a theory" is, strictly speaking, true, but the idea it tries to convey is completely wrong. The argument rests on a confusion between what "theory" means in informal usage and in a scientific context. A theory, in the scientific sense, is "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" [Random House American College Dictionary]. The term does not imply tentativeness or lack of certainty."

It is not implied, once again, in the definitions or the terminology. But it is certainly implied in the evedence.

"Generally speaking, scientific theories differ from scientific laws only in that laws can be expressed more tersely. Being a theory implies self-consistency, agreement with observations, and usefulness. (Creationism fails to be a theory mainly because of the last point; it makes few or no specific claims about what we would expect to find, so it can't be used for anything. When it does make falsifiable predictions, they prove to be false.)"

Pure bias.......sorry but thats all that is. They do not "prove" them to be false. They simply fall back on what they would prefer as a solution which, invariably supports the theory of evolution. And the scientists which presented the findings are ridiculed and once again, shut out of the debate entirely.

"Lack of proof isn't a weakness, either. On the contrary, claiming infallibility for one's conclusions is a sign of hubris. Nothing in the real world has ever been rigorously proved, or ever will be."

More bias statements to defend evolutions wild claims. What about gravity, This has not been proved?

"Proof, in the mathematical sense, is possible only if you have the luxury of defining the universe you're operating in. In the real world, we must deal with levels of certainty based on observed evidence."

Which is exactly what you cannot do with evolution. Evolution has NEVER been observed and given the huge time frames that are said to be needed, it never will be.

"The more and better evidence we have for something, the more certainty we assign to it; when there is enough evidence, we label the something a fact, even though it still isn't 100% certain."

Ah so.........

"What evolution has is what any good scientific claim has--evidence, and lots of it."

Where? Transitionary bones can be said to be simply extinct animals much more believably. These "transitionary" humans are still human. Sorry but this theory is, and originally was, based upon a desire for an alternative to the creation model. Thats not to say its wrong, that is to say, it has little real evidence to support its amazing claims. It has opinions. Scientific opinions yes, but still, there are others who disagree.

"Evolution is supported by a wide range of observations throughout the fields of genetics, anatomy, ecology, animal behavior, paleontology, and others."

Yes and they all have a great stake in evolutionary theory. All sorts of good experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution. Which is good. Much good can come of it.

"If you wish to challenge the theory of evolution, you must address that evidence. You must show that the evidence is either wrong or irrelevant or that it fits another theory better. Of course, to do this, you must know both the theory and the evidence."

I do not wish to "challenge" it. I wish it to be taught as, and seen as what it really is. A theory, unproven and probably unprovable. No, to disprove it you must first be able to prove it. If you do attempt to disprove it, you are stifled and shut down.

Thanks for the convo.:p

Richie,

<i>"Check out our couzins the apes!" What a crock.</i>

Why is it a crock? Please give your explanations of:
* why other apes have very similar anatomy to humans.
* why other apes share over 99% of their DNA with humans.
* why human behaviour is so similar to chimpanzee behaviour in many respects.

<i>They go no where, in fact, they dead end in a mathmatical improbability so amazingly hard to accept, that it would HAVE to simply be accepted on faith.</i>

This is always the kind of thing said by people who have only a superficial understanding of evolution.

<i>And the scientists which presented the findings [for creationism] are ridiculed and once again, shut out of the debate entirely.</i>

I am not aware of any evidence in favour of Creationism. In my experience, all Creationists do is to try to present evidence against evolution - as if that does anything to advance the Creationist cause.

<i>What about gravity, This has not been proved?</i>

No. The theory of gravity is a useful theory in that it makes accurate predictions, but it can never be proved.

<i>Evolution has NEVER been observed and given the huge time frames that are said to be needed, it never will be.</i>

Wrong. Speciation, and hence evolution, has been directly observed in the laboratory.

<i>These "transitionary" humans are still human.</i>

Obviously you don't understand cladistics.

<i>Sorry but this theory is, and originally was, based upon a desire for an alternative to the creation model.</i>

No. Darwin was a committed Christian. He refrained from publishing his theory for many years because he knew what an uproar it would cause with fundamentalists. He didn't desire an alternative to Creationism; the evidence led unavoidably to it.

<i>Thats not to say its wrong, that is to say, it has little real evidence to support its amazing claims.</i>

Wrong: "Evolution is supported by a wide range of observations throughout the fields of genetics, anatomy, ecology, animal behavior, paleontology, and others."

<i>Yes and they all have a great stake in evolutionary theory.</i>

No. All these field could and did exist without evolution (except genetics, which hadn't been discovered).

<i>All sorts of good experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution.</i>

I would say that <b>no</b> experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution. The evidence is so strongly in favour of it that all educated people take it for granted.

Originally posted by James R
Richie,

<i>"Check out our couzins the apes!" What a crock.</i>

"Why is it a crock? Please give your explanations of:
* why human behaviour is so similar to chimpanzee behaviour in many respects."

NO explaination at all would be better than evolutions.

<i>They go no where, in fact, they dead end in a mathmatical improbability so amazingly hard to accept, that it would HAVE to simply be accepted on faith.</i>

"This is always the kind of thing said by people who have only a superficial understanding of evolution."

Yes and this is the same answer I get from all evolutionists. "You just dont know what your talking about." The fact is I hear your theories, I just don't buy it. The fact is it is only ONE possible conclusion to the evidence.

<i>And the scientists which presented the findings [for creationism] are ridiculed and once again, shut out of the debate entirely.</i>

"I am not aware of any evidence in favour of Creationism. In my experience, all Creationists do is to try to present evidence against evolution - as if that does anything to advance the Creationist cause."

Not true, perhaps you should do some more research. Instead of dimissing their claims, why not listen and investigate. Appearantly thats what they are doing. Isn't that the role of "science"?

<i>What about gravity, This has not been proved?</i>

"No. The theory of gravity is a useful theory in that it makes accurate predictions, but it can never be proved."

I see.

<i>Evolution has NEVER been observed and given the huge time frames that are said to be needed, it never will be.</i>

"Wrong. Speciation, and hence evolution, has been directly observed in the laboratory."

Speciation is NOT evolution. Evolution rigorously defined, is the change from one type creature to another. (as in an ape to a man?) It has been changed to fit the evidence yet the stigma remains. A birds beak changing color does not support evolution. When he turns into something else I'll be impressed.

<i>These "transitionary" humans are still human.</i>

"Obviously you don't understand cladistics."

Obviously.

<i>Sorry but this theory is, and originally was, based upon a desire for an alternative to the creation model.</i>

"No. Darwin was a committed Christian. He refrained from publishing his theory for many years because he knew what an uproar it would cause with fundamentalists."

Your the first I have heard to admit this. But your only partially right. At the time he was a disgruntled Christian. It was not until later in his life that he regretted releasing his theory. Because he knew what it would mean. And he was right.

"He didn't desire an alternative to Creationism; the evidence led unavoidably to it."

He had little "evidence". It was an idea.

<i>Thats not to say its wrong, that is to say, it has little real evidence to support its amazing claims.</i>

"Wrong: "Evolution is supported by a wide range of observations throughout the fields of genetics, anatomy, ecology, animal behavior, paleontology, and others.""

Not a change from ape to man it isn't. There are few transitional fossiles which even begin to fit the criteria. And those are certainly questionable. And NONE to support the evolution of man.

<i>Yes and they all have a great stake in evolutionary theory.</i>

"No. All these field could and did exist without evolution (except genetics, which hadn't been discovered)."

Yes agreed, but today they are all working on proving evolution, which as I say, is not a bad thing. There have many great findings. Most of which, however, have little to do with evolution.

<i>All sorts of good experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution.</i>

I would say that <b>no</b> experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution. The evidence is so strongly in favour of it that all educated people take it for granted.

Ah I see, I think I've just been insulted. Typical.

Pehaps if the scientific community were not so fearful of it being abandonded in favor of something else, "educated" people would have an opportunity to make up their own minds. As it stands now, they are "educated" in a vaccuum.

Richie,

I was working on a reply for your response to me but then I read your last post. There's obviously no point in discussing this track with you any further. You obviously simply refuse to even seriously consider evolution. To quote you "NO explanation at all would be better than evolutions." and "The fact is I hear your theories, I just don't buy it.". The problem is, upon hearing the theory you refuse to examine the evidence.

So I'll put the onus on you. You make the following claim "The fact is it is only ONE possible conclusion to the evidence."

Dare I ask? What is the "ONE possible conclusion"?

Please state the proposed theory in a provable and succinct manner.

Please provide two pieces of empirical evidence that support your theory that no other theory can adequately explain.

Please provide a method by which we can test your theory or an aspect of your theory.

Thank you.

~Raithere

Richie,

I asked: "Why is it a crock? Please give your explanations of:
* why human behaviour is so similar to chimpanzee behaviour in many respects."

You replied: <i>NO explaination at all would be better than evolutions.</i>

So, you don't have any explanations, then. I thought as much.

<i>Yes and this is the same answer I get from all evolutionists. "You just dont know what your talking about."</i>

Perhaps they are on to something there.

<i>Instead of dimissing their claims, why not listen and investigate. Appearantly thats what they are doing. Isn't that the role of "science"?</i>

I've listened to more creationists than you could poke a stick at. None of them have investigated the evidence. All of them adhere to arguments which have been convincingly answered years ago, despite repeated careful and well-mannered correction.

<i>Speciation is NOT evolution. Evolution rigorously defined, is the change from one type creature to another.</i>

Perhaps you should grab your dictionary and look up "speciation" at this point.

<i>At the time [Darwin] was a disgruntled Christian. It was not until later in his life that he regretted releasing his theory. Because he knew what it would mean. And he was right.</i>

He never regretted releasing his theory. That is a Creationist fable, although it is quite irrelevant to the question of whether evolution is true in any case.

<i>He had little "evidence". It was an idea.</i>

You haven't read <i>The Origin of Species</i> have you? No evidence. Ha!

<i>Yes agreed, but today they are all working on proving evolution, which as I say, is not a bad thing.</i>

I repeat my previous statement, in case you missed it the first time: "I would say that <b>no</b> experimentation goes on in the name of proving evolution. The evidence is so strongly in favour of it that all educated people take it for granted."

I doubt it,world is an illusion...

Originally posted by Xelios
Love is one emotion out of many that humans create through chemical and electrical impulses in the brain. I don't see why you associate love with some kind of higher purpose or invisible truth, to do so would suggest that all emotions are "truths".

Now, we are faced with two theories. The entire universe is made up of matter, love is one emotion out of many without any significance when it comes to the universe as a whole, and that no supreme and omnipotent being exists. On the other hand, the entire world around us is an illusion, cast upon us by some kind of omnipotent (yet loving) entity, and the very fabric of space molds itself to each individual's beliefs to seem (to each individual) to be the only true reality.

If the world is an illusion,than I wouldn't be able to die,everything around would change from one time to another,but I wouldn't die,I would be eternal.

Occam's Razor? I'm pretty sure it won't be favoring the latter.

Your idea is fine and well, it's a hypothesis and you may believe what you want. However, to tell me that love, an emotion created by chemical interactions and electrical impulses in our brain, is the highest state of energy in the universe and the universe itself is simply an illusion whos sole purpose seems to be to mislead us seems a little outrageous, especially with no proof or substance attached to the claims.

Back