Richard Dawkins is but a speaker, just like Hitler.

did Hakins answer the question well?

• Total voters
That statement reminds ME of the fact that everyone has been referencing the "Good old days" for generations. There was never any such thing. People just get wistful in their old age.
Magic Factoids say a wave of massive violent crime followed the introduction of the talking box/TV (a good baby sitter, no need for socialization anymore).

It is my opinion that we don't have the right to impose our will on those communities that wish to teach ... 'alternative' educations. If that is what the community wants, then they should be able to do that. They should have that freedom. AND, if their education really does stunt their growth, then such communities will never thrive enough to surpass those communities that focus on other things, and social darwinism can run its course. To make the choice to stamp out those things you disagree with IS intolerant, and it WILL lead to violence. It always has, and there is no reason to think it wouldn't in this day (not a 24 hour period) and age.
Societies aren't so libertarian. Although, maybe one day :shrug:

And Richard Dawkins's books, which are quite different, are even more reasonable and tolerant. You might want to read a couple of them, before assigning to him the kind of character flaws you seem to think inevitably accompany - or even lie behind - serious and motivated objections to the institutionalized Abrahamic theisms.

Ok; if I got the authors confused I apologize for the mixup. I do however maintain that any time an individual or group makes the eradication of another group their goal (whether through conversion or other means), you have the makings of a crusade, inquisition, or holocaust.

Societies aren't so libertarian. Although, maybe one day :shrug:

Very true, which I find very unfortunate. It is my opinion that public policy should be such that the smaller community, the greater the degree of control that can be exerted via democratic vote, and vice versa - with the individual of course being the greatest degree of control. It should work kind of like Asimov's laws of robotics. The next size up from an individual (the family) can exert x amount of control over their family, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of the individual (a parent can choose what kind of food their children eat, what they read and watch, etc., but cannot violate the child in regards to abusive behavior - a minimum which should be universal worldwide). Next up from there might be an HOA or Condo Association, that certainly doesn't have a say in such familial matters but can control such things that impact the rest of that community (external home decor, landscaping etc.), and so on and so forth all the way up through cities, counties, states, countries, etc. By the time you get to the top level, you wouldn't have any right to command anyone to do anything, but would only be defining rights for the individuals.

solus said:
I do however maintain that any time an individual or group makes the eradication of another group their goal (whether through conversion or other means), you have the makings of a crusade, inquisition, or holocaust.
The glib way theists slide from their standard misperceptions to physical threat, along with their penchant for ascribing basic human decency to their ingroup only, is worrisome considering their political power.

We've seen the consequences of that kind of thinking - the actual crusades, inquisitions, and holocausts.

The glib way theists slide from their standard misperceptions to physical threat, along with their penchant for ascribing basic human decency to their ingroup only, is worrisome considering their political power.

We've seen the consequences of that kind of thinking - the actual crusades, inquisitions, and holocausts.

Quite the contrary. My statement was completely open-ended. It applies to all groups of people, regardless of their specific beliefs.

Ok; if I got the authors confused I apologize for the mixup. I do however maintain that any time an individual or group makes the eradication of another group their goal (whether through conversion or other means), you have the makings of a crusade, inquisition, or holocaust.

Except Dawkins et al want to eradicate faith through reason, not the faithful through violence.

solus said:
Quite the contrary. My statement was completely open-ended. It applies to all groups of people, regardless of their specific beliefs.
And my observation was of the tendency of the theistic to slide into physical threat without even noticing the transition.

A history of unchallenged control over the means of physical force within a society breeds a certain casual attitude toward the making of threats, maybe?

phlogistician said:
Except Dawkins et al want to eradicate faith -
Not Dawkins. I can't answer for the "et al", but all aspects of human nature and being in the world are welcome to most atheistic people - a faith that answers to reason, a reason that answers to faith, is a basic atheistic approach.

Last edited:

As if people can't be persuaded to change their minds? I'm in favor of a crusade for reason.

As if people can't be persuaded to change their minds? I'm in favor of a crusade for reason.

The biggest problem I see with that attitude is that at any given time period, you have people who are absolutely certain that they are the wisest the world has ever seen, that everyone before them was a primitive fool, and that THEY have finally reached a point of inarguable reason. Those who disagree are subhuman, etc. And then 200 years later THEY are the primitives. In other words, your crusade for reason today will no doubt be seen as a subjugation of others 100 or so years from now.

I'm saying this in the context of a Democratic society that ensures freedom of religion, so there is no way in hell this would result in any kind of subjugation of people. Reason is also not a point, it is a method to ensure that what we believe is supported by reliable evidence. It's a journey away from ignorance into reality. I don't think that's too much to ask. The proof of this method is in the results, they cannot be denied.

I'm saying this in the context of a Democratic society that ensures freedom of religion, so there is no way in hell this would result in any kind of subjugation of people. Reason is also not a point, it is a method to ensure that what we believe is supported by reliable evidence. It's a journey away from ignorance into reality. I don't think that's too much to ask. The proof of this method is in the results, they cannot be denied.

:) You'd be surprised at how quickly such societies can do just that, particularly when the populace is whipped to frenzy. I am reminded of the rally we had in town this weekend... The "Rally to Restore Sanity"... It wasn't a push in any extreme direction, but rather a plea for people to just be calm, reasoned, and rational.

To which Stewart invited the unapologetic Cat Stevens, I regret to say.

The hell with them both, and throw in Colbert just to make the bucket Extra Pithy.

The biggest problem I see with that attitude is that at any given time period, you have people who are absolutely certain that they are the wisest the world has ever seen, that everyone before them was a primitive fool, and that THEY have finally reached a point of inarguable reason. Those who disagree are subhuman, etc. And then 200 years later THEY are the primitives. In other words, your crusade for reason today will no doubt be seen as a subjugation of others 100 or so years from now.

The term for that phenomenon is "progress," and it's generally a good thing.

cado said:
And it is also both arrogant and foolish to ever think you have reached the epitome of said progress.
Which is what you would be doing by rejecting further steps, or demanding a tether on any attempts at leaving the current campsite behind.

Agreed. And it is also both arrogant and foolish to ever think you have reached the epitome of said progress.

Not something you'll find many "progressives" or "rationalists" asserting, in my experience.

Now, the fundamentalists that oppose them, on the other hand, are defined by exactly such an attitude.

Which is what you would be doing by rejecting further steps, or demanding a tether on any attempts at leaving the current campsite behind.

Not something you'll find many "progressives" or "rationalists" asserting, in my experience.

Now, the fundamentalists that oppose them, on the other hand, are defined by exactly such an attitude.

Again, I go back to my only real opinion on the matter - concerted attempts to eradicate a way of thinking have always yielded horrific results. There is no reason to suspect that will ever change.

EDIT: Oh, and it isn't BECAUSE of religion. Religion has been a tool - Fanaticism has been the cause.

I think religion is a major cause of fanaticism.

I have lived among communities full of religious fanatics, and I can promise you that the religion attracted the fanatics; it didn't cause them. Rational people who come into the faith remain rational. Irrational people who come into the faith remain irrational. I will acknowledge that the nature of religion does indeed attract irrational people, and that often the irrational ones are the most vocal - but the religions themselves (or at least, the branches of Christianity to which I was exposed) were never the cause of fanaticism and irrationality - merely an outlet. (And if you removed that outlet, others would take its place in a heartbeat.)

Back