Remove "In God we Trust" from US currency.

How does it help explaining the higher degree of religiousity in the US though? I'll try and find some material on this.

It don't matter is the point because the people are free to dream the dream they choose. You can be a devil worshiping fool or a fun loving sex fiend worshiping Diana . You are free to meet your own fantasy face to face . We have lots of witches in America and they are not persecuted or stoned by the populace. Well maybe that Girl who ran for Office in the Senate I think that went around saying " I Am Not A Witch " was a little but it was more because the flaming lid made a big deal out of it

I found a forum discussing these matters. I thought that two of the answers were interesting/funny:

The USA was given many blessings. We have God as the foundation of the country. As we take him out of this country, our blessings will disappear. You are seeing that now. Prayer can change this, but if we keep this up (secular bs), we will pay a very severe price. Countries with national religions such as "voodoo" will always be impoverished because those religions are of the devil. The devil hates humanity. He doesnt care about the souls of people. He just hates God enough to destroy everything that He has made.

And:

US is more religious than other industrialized countries because the US has a poor education system compared to other modern countries.

You will notice the parts of the world with the worst education also have the highest % of religious people

about the US being richer, I dunno about that we are trillions of dollars in debt, we owe China a **** ton

I found a forum discussing these matters. I thought that two of the answers were interesting/funny:

And:

Those quotes don't mean a thing . They are people out of touch with reality spouting there particular brand of freedom expressed . They do not speak for all Americans because Americans are Free to speak what ever they want individually. I like Voodoo and I cherish the Voodoo I do. It is not spelled Voodoo either that is American bias at play. Lets see if I can remember / Vuedo or Vodue , I think it is the latter can't remember. Yeah Way I can be a Vodue Heathen because I am American and nobody and I mean no body can do a thing about it . I can worship Satan and burn meet as a sacrifice too.

Meki you are incoherrently rambling on my friend.

Joey I love you Man . My ramblings are marked by the ideals of freedom , though they be hard to interpret they are far from incoherent when they fall on the ears that understand where the symbolism comes from . It is very ancient in origin . Maybe as old as May Day Festivals them selves and that my friend is the fight of the common person . You think it was an accident that people were killed on May the 3rd in Chicago when the unions where protesting the long work week . Yeah that one event shaped society as a whole when it brought back the May Day Festivals. We have the 40 hr work week to thank to those brave souls and the 40 hr. work week became the standard for the world and with out those people and there right to assemble, plus all the other common people in many countries at the same time in an orchestrated effort that stood in that era of history. At that point we were not all just gun down and forgotten because we have freedom

Voudoun, I believe...

But I'm not a big follower of the African faiths...they don't call me as much.

You can be a witch...but as the military Pagans at Fort Hood found out, you can get discriminated against. Somebody trashed their circle of standing stones and the C.O. ignored that...

Voudoun, I believe...

But I'm not a big follower of the African faiths...they don't call me as much.

You can be a witch...but as the military Pagans at Fort Hood found out, you can get discriminated against. Somebody trashed their circle of standing stones and the C.O. ignored that...
I read about that and it was wrong . Terribly. It is the problem . It is called Cronyism and it is a cancer . Though we live by it in our individual lives every day by promotion of our friends over merit . I looked for the devil high and low on every road and as I past by the picture window at the department store I saw Him . It was Me, my own reflection

I also love Joey, Me-Ki, Chimpkin, Sci-Wri and others... Brew us a love potion Me-Ki <3<3<3

"In Obama We Trust"

"In $$$ We Trust"

"We ain't trust-in no bodies"

"In Federal Reserve We (used to) Trust"

The USA is a Christian nation.

The people who say that want you to believe that it's ALL Christian
(It's a large majority, but not all)
They also want to take over the government.

Besides that being unconstitutional, I'm not part of the dominant faith, so, no, I'm not okay with what they want.

We have a secular government-separation of church and state- written into our constitution to protect any one faith or denomination running roughshod over the others.

The people who say that want you to believe that it's ALL Christian
(It's a large majority, but not all)
They also want to take over the government.

Besides that being unconstitutional, I'm not part of the dominant faith, so, no, I'm not okay with what they want.

We have a secular government-separation of church and state- written into our constitution to protect any one faith or denomination running roughshod over the others.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of removing "In God We Trust" from U.S. currency.
It's just that Spider said that the U.S.A. is not a Christian nation, while the percentage of Christians is well above 50% (more like 75%).
In my opinion, one would have to be pretty dumb to believe that each and every U.S. citizen is a Christian.

Last edited:
Ah...I guess the thing is is that I see people who want to make sure their faith and worldview continues to (let's face it) be given preferential treatment under law.

And it almost invariably seems to be about gays, transgendered people (I consider myself to fall under that umbrella, very loosely speaking) and religious minorities being fully returned to second-class status.

That and no liquor on Sunday.
Dammit, if I want to get sloshed on a sunny Sunday morning, it is my own business!

Oh, and hookers, because they have a crappy enough life without going to jail all the time.

Our REAL national motto should officially be "Out of many, one." It always was, just was not official.

Dominionism:

In a politico-religious context, dominionism (also called subjectionism[1]) is the tendency among some conservative politically-active Christians, especially in the United States, to seek influence or control over secular civil government through political action. The goal is either a nation governed by Christians, or a nation governed by a conservative Christian understanding of biblical law. The use and application of this terminology is a matter of controversy.

Soft dominionism (Christian nationalism)

The term soft dominionism is applied by critics to various Christian Right social and political movements that claim that "America is a Christian nation". Soft Dominionists also disclaim the existence of the "wall of separation" between church and state. In her book Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism, Michelle Goldberg called this tendency "Christian Nationalism".[23] Berlet and Clarkson have agreed that "oft Dominionists are Christian nationalists."[64]

Unlike "dominionism", the phrase "Christian nation" occurs commonly in the writings of leaders of the Christian Right. Proponents of this idea (such as David Barton and D. James Kennedy) argue that the Founding Fathers of the United States were overwhelmingly Christian, that founding documents such as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are based on Christian principles, and that a Christian character is fundamental to American culture.[65][66][67] They cite, for example, the U.S. Supreme Court's comment in 1892 that "this [the United States] is a Christian nation,"[68] after citing numerous historical and legal arguments in support of that statement.[69][70]

Critics[71] regard the claim that the United States is a Christian nation as of questionable historic validity (often pointing out the deist beliefs of some of the founding fathers - Thomas Jefferson's[72] in particular). They see the claim as ethnocentric, and as reducing secularists and members of other religions (such as Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism) to second-class status. Other critics cite the Treaty of Tripoli passed by the United States Senate, which assured the ruler of that Muslim state that the United States government "is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion",[73] and George Washington's letter to Moses Seixas, in which Washington defended religious freedom for Jews ("For happily, the government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance"[74]).[75][76]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

There. Gone. I don't care.

I'm not threatened by "In God We Trust" being on the currency.

I know as an ardent atheist believer in "separation", but this one I chalk up to tradition, like having a federal "Christmas" holiday and having about a gazillion monuments with religious words chiseled into them.

I like having Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter off (though, at my company, while we're closed for Easter, it's an unpaid holiday). I don't "celebrate" Christ, but I also accept something that Fraggle said that makes sense: I can be an "atheist" and still enjoy the social traditions that have been passed on to me through religions. For me, they've evolved past the religious and into some enjoyable family celebrations that are rooted in some long dead beliefs. One day the deity of Christ will be as real to us as "that Blue Elephant god" is to Indians. Most will still celebrate Diwali long after they've let go of their religion. Why? Because it's just shit-tons of fun.

Likewise, I'm culturally a Judeo-Christian. I don't hate the holidays. I just celebrate them in my secular way. In a similar way, I recognize that it was Judeo-Christian traditions that contributed largely to the early history of this nation. One cannot separate Christianity from the basic philosophies from the history of the US. We can still be secular while nodding to the traditions of the past.

"In God We Trust". . . I tend to think it will have to go one day. It's pretty much an obvious statement of national belief. But, I'm not threatened by it. I loose sleep over bigger things. It'll go on its own one day when people wake up from their religions. I'm content with that. Plus, it's a learning tool for atheist children: See how desperately society clings to anything religious.

~String

Back