Religious Understanding

Hi BeHereNow :)

I do not have enough time left to answer your reply on "Christian Woman" but I intend to reply to that tomorrow. But i think it is important that i reply to the points you made in your posts last paragraph.

This has turned into a discussion of your particular understandings and the life you live. I think this is best.

Yes i agree also it is always best to deal with people as individuals.

I would like to point out that the discussion started in regard to Christians in general. If you can show that you are not hypocritical, I would like you to also show that most Christians share your consistency.Are you the exception, or are you the rule? We are looking for the rule.

Now this is the part that i really must address. When you say "christians in general" and "we are looking for the rule" alarm bells start to sound in my mind.

What are you really looking for BeHereNow? The truth or what many people think is the truth? Is the Will of the God of Abraham defined by what the majority of those who claim to believe in Him define his will to be. Or is it defined by His Word the scriptures? Is The God of Abraham elected by the majority that believe they follow His will? Does God say "oh well... :( ... most of them don't believe what i have delivered to them so i will have to change my will to conform with the majority view"?

The God of Abraham is not an elected God. He is a absolute eternal Monarch. So it matters not a jot what the exception (an individual) says or what the rule (religious organization/denomination/religion) say. It matters is what He says.

Matthew 7
13 " Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. 15 " Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

BeHereNow if your looking for the majority view and if you want to take up discussions with them, then be my guest. Most denominations have web sites where they will give you all their doctrines clearly set out. In the end its up to you to listen and decide who is on the narrow path and who is on the broad way.

Let the Spirit convict.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

What are you really looking for BeHereNow? The truth or what many people think is the truth? Is the Will of the God of Abraham defined by what the majority of those who claim to believe in Him define his will to be. Or is it defined by His Word the scriptures? Is The God of Abraham elected by the majority that believe they follow His will

This is where the alarm bells go off.

Is the italicized text not a redundancy Adstar? Do you not forget how the Bible and orthodox Christian doctrine came to be organized?

Adstar:
I read your thoughts on divorce=adultery a few times and I can see confusion in your thoughts :)
I believe it is because you did not read my post closely enough.

BeHereNow writes: In Matthew we learn that any man who divorces his wife causes her to commit adultery . . .[Matthew 5:32] But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.]
Adstar replies: If a divorced woman does not re-marry then she will no be an adulterer. Yes she is guilty of adultery within the original marriage but she is not forced to be an adulterer after she has been divorced. She does not have to have sexual relations with any man. therefore she does not have to commit fornication as well. So a divorced woman is only "as bad" as a homosexual if she decided to no longer be celibate.
Clearly Matthew 5:32 says the act of divorce “causeth her to commit adultery”. We might want to add “unless she is a fornicator”, but a fornicator is an adulteress. So a divorced woman is always an adulteress. No other conditions are necessary. She does not have to commit adultery within the original marriage. By the simple act of the man divorcing her, she becomes an adulteress. Since it is the divorce that causes her sin, she remains in the sin.

Lets change the sin to murder and look at it following your logic. Suppose a woman decides she no longer wants to be married. Her plan is to first kill her husband, then simply repent of the sin. I’m not talking about murder in a fit of rage. I’m talking about planned and premeditated murder, because certainly the divorce is planned and premeditated.
And there is another bonus for her. If her husband is dead she can remarry without being an adulteress. That is permitted. If she divorces her husband, repents, then remarries and has relations with her new husband, she will be continually committing adultery. But if she kills her first husband, repents, she is free to remarry without committing adultery. Surely this is not what you intend, but it is the logical result of your line of thinking.

Adstar wrote: As i have explained divorce does not necessarily lead to adultery or fornication. Both sins are independent of divorce.
You have not successfully countered my proof that divorce always leads to adultery.
It is true that fornication and divorce are independent of divorce, but divorce is not independent of adultery. There is a difference.

You do seem to agree that remarriage always result in adultery, so I assume you would support a law against remarriage just as strongly as a law against gay marriage.
Is that true?
Also, if Christians were not hypocrites, they would be advocating a law against remarriage just as strongly as a law against gay marriages.

Concerning wealth:

Adstar says: Firstly, it was the young mans claim that He followed ALL the teachings.
You give very little evidence that that it was merely a claim. Essentially you want a certain result, and the only way to get that result is if his claims were false.
Consider this: Jesus could see into the hearts of people. He knew what was inside. Take for example the woman at the well (John 4). She said she had no husband, but Jesus told her she had 5 husbands. When people tried to deceive Jesus he let them know he knew the truth. Jesus did not deny that the man followed all of the commandments. In effect he said “Fine, you honor all of the commandments. There is something else you must do. Sell everything and follow me.”
The only way to draw your conclusion is to read into the scripture ideas that are not there. I am applying a simple, literal interruption.

Adstar: For if the ruler had truly placed God above wealth he would have done what Jesus challenged him to do.
Why does this not apply to every person?
You said the rich ruler only thought he honored the commandments. When it came down to brass tacks, his true colors shown through. Isn’t this also true for the wealthy today? They delude themselves into believing they love God more than their wealth. They are generous enough to appear pure, but in fact they would never give all away.
Won’t every person, if they want to follow the scriptures and if they place God about wealth, sell all that they have, and surrender every raise from their employer to the poor?

Why is it that virtually none of the wealthy Christians surrender their wealth? You would have us believe it is because they are sinful. Some of us believe it is because they are hypocrites. Certainly they can be both, and probably are. Show me why they are not hypocrites.
Again we have this premeditated sin that you would have us believe is easily forgiven. “Lord, I love being filthy rich and again today I am not going to give any of it away. Please forgive me Lord. Thank you for letting me into heaven.” If you are not hypocritical you would say the same is true for gays in marriage. They can remain married as long as they repent each day.
Personally I don’t believe it is true repentance if it is premeditated and repeated continually. A serial killer who kills, repents, kills, repents, kills repents, is not really repenting. He will not be forgiven. It is also true for the wealthy that remain wealthy, if we take a literal interruption of the scriptures.

Adstar wrote: Secondly, Jesus said it was hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven Not impossible. For he said "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." So once again you are misreading scripture. Read the following especially the bolded parts it may help you understand.
You changed my scripture quote (Luke 18) to one of the other harmonic gospels which seems to favors your position slightly (Matt 19). Using your verses my KJV says: [23] Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[24] And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
It does not simply say it is hard, it says hardly will he be able. It is possible, but virtually impossible. He gives us an example to show how hard. Easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. He does not say “it is hard, but most of you will do it.” Rather he says of all of you wealthy, hardly any will enter the kingdom of God. The poor who sin can repent and be forgiven. The wealthy live in their sin continually and do not truly repent for being greedy, for they always want more.

Adstar wrote:

BeHereNow wrote: We have no reason to believe he was “driven by want of money”. In fact, if this were true, if he were ‘driven’, we would expect that he would not tithe, and he would be coveting. The fact that he followed all of the commandments is proof that he was not driven by wealth.
We have no indication that the ruler placed undue importance on his wealth, UNTIL he was asked to surrender it. At that point he had a choice between Spiritual wealth (eternal life, salvation) and materialism. We are lead to believe that he chose materialism. ”

Adstar replies:Can you see the confusion in what you have put down here? The rulers love for money did not start when Jesus challenged Him to give it up. But it was the challenge of Jesus that made him realize how much he loved his money.
I see no confusion in what I wrote. The rich man said he lived the letter of the law and Jesus said that is fine, but it is not enough, you must do more. If you want to follow Jesus you must surrender your wealth. What you say is only true if the man merely claimed to honor the law. As I said above, you did not show that he only claimed this. The scripture indicates he was indeed honorable. The words and actions of Jesus indicate that he recognized the man was honorable.
As you say, attempting to live the letter of the law is not enough. You can be wealthy and live the letter of the law. That is not enough. If you are wealthy you must show you are honorable by giving it away.

Adstar wrote: When you say "christians in general" and "we are looking for the rule" alarm bells start to sound in my mind.

What are you really looking for BeHereNow? The truth or what many people think is the truth?
You are losing the forest for the trees my friend.
LephtShew made a comment about Christians, in general, being hypocritical. You responded, in objection, indicating you though he was wrong. Lephtshew never said he though you were hypercritical except in the sense you might be a typical Christian. Instead of defending typical Christians you have concentrated on defending one particular Christian, yourself. I am attempting to return to one of the original themes of this thread. If that sets off alarms, well, you have clearly missed the mark and gotten off track.
I would never say there are no Christians who take the Bible literally and live that way. I know better because many of my neighbors are Amish. (Thought for another thread: If Amish are true to the word of God, can this also be true for adstar?) We are in this discussion because lephtshew and I contend that most Christian literalists are hypocrites. You have not convinced me you do not belong in this group.

LephtShew made a comment about Christians, in general, being hypocritical. You responded, in objection, indicating you though he was wrong. Lephtshew never said he though you were hypercritical except in the sense you might be a typical Christian. Instead of defending typical Christians you have concentrated on defending one particular Christian, yourself. I am attempting to return to one of the original themes of this thread. If that sets off alarms, well, you have clearly missed the mark and gotten off track.
I would never say there are no Christians who take the Bible literally and live that way. I know better because many of my neighbors are Amish. (Thought for another thread: If Amish are true to the word of God, can this also be true for adstar?) We are in this discussion because lephtshew and I contend that most Christian literalists are hypocrites. You have not convinced me you do not belong in this group.

My alarm bells where right. I was wasting my time with you. You are looking for the rule rather than the exception. You are looking for the “broad way people” rather than the “narrow way people”. It's it ridiculous that you are asking me to defend people who are not Christians, people who you want to call christians.

When the original poster posted i defended Christians, not christians. (Notice how I used upper case C and lower case c ) But you are intent on having an argument with christians to prove how false and hypocritical they are, well i already know that they are hypocrites and false i try my best to convict them of that most days.

Another thing you want me to support a law banning marriage after devorce as much as a ban of marriage of homosexuals.?

Answer: I could not care less what laws are enacted within the nations of this earth. The powers that be can make whatever they want legal or illegal. So it does not bother me if homosexual marriage is legal or otherwise same with divorce. Same with any other law.

I'm not into enforcing Gods laws upon earth by doing deals with satans power structures. If people don't follow a law because they believe it is right and good then there is no point enforcing it with state power.

I'm not the kind that protests the removal of the Ten commandments from public buildings and courthouses. I'm the kind that is happy to see them removed from those despicable houses of injustice exploitation and hypocrisy.

I'm not the kind who will put on a uniform and grab a gun and shout God Bless (insert appropriate nation) and go out and kill others to establish a global nation of God. I'm the kind who screams out to those that they are serving lucifer that dragon that deceives the world and gets those under his right wing to fight those under his left wing while he laughs his head off at their suffering knowing both groups will be cast into the lake of fire with him in the end.

Have fun debating the broad way christians BeHereNow, I’m not into banging my head against brick walls, so bye.

PS: You know what just came to me BeHereNow? Maybe deep down inside you want to show that all christians are "broard way christians" so you can justify your rejection of the Messiah Jesus and justify that little idol you honor by having it as your avatar?

Last edited:
BeHereNow,

You have now experienced the real Adstar, who will abruptly end the conversation when confronted with his fanciful extrapolation. He will call you deluded and insist that he is not in the wrong.

Glory be!

Yes, §outh§tar.
Adstar and I have meet before.
Another time, another place, another name.
Same hypocrisy, same narrow-mindedness, same self-delusion.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible. ~~Baba Ram Dass

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth. ~Ludwig Börne

Well, in my opinion Adstar just pretty much agreed that the broader "christians" are hypocritical etc. So in the end he has answered my question. He got a little defensive and mad at the end there though considering the "attack" was not directed at him since he claims to be part of the narrow "Christians".

I like your point on not including the strictly religious laws into the laws on earth. Pretty much right there you're agreeing that we should not have laws against homosexual marriages and so once again you are agreeing with BeHereNow.

What a happy conversation.

I think Adstar and I have more in common that most readers realize.

I believe I can construct proofs for all of the following statements using the NT.
Not “proof” as in it has to be this way, but proof in the sense that these beliefs can be considered Biblical correct, depending on interpretation, along with many other scenarios of what it means to be Christian. I just happen to favor this one.

Christians should expect to be a minority in any land. They should be able to prosper spiritually regardless of how repressive or pagan the government is. They should expect that the prevailing morality will not match their own. If the government requires them to do “immoral” acts they should become martyrs for their faith even unto death. If the government permits its citizens to do immoral acts it should be no concern to Christians. They will follow the teachings of Jesus regardless. If they are in the clear majority they should think they are doing something wrong.

The matters of heaven and hell will be personal. Hell will be reserved for those who choose to be there, the truly evil who have no regard for mankind. The line between heaven and hell is a wide chasm, not a thin line. All of those within the Christian group will go to heaven because that is what they want. The evil ones will not want the company of Christians and will leave the group. As to the non-Christians or Christians of other groups, heaven and hell will be their own concern. Christians do not have an obligation to convert every person within reach.

Some groups will be monkish, and very strict in their observance of Christ’s honor. Other will be more worldly, but still follow their hearts in the path of Jesus. There should be respect between groups, honoring differences in culture and perspective. No one group should claim ownership of Jesus. If one group strays from the message of Christ that is their concern as long as they do no harm to the others. It does no harm to Christ if some groups do not properly honor his teachings. It may displease him, but that is between them and him.

Individuals might expect some modest financial success within their group but for the most part financial success will be more a matter of heritage than effort within one’s lifetime. If one individual or family becomes wealthy, all of those around them will know that no one deserves it more. Those less fortunate will frequently benefit from the generosity of the few wealthy. When they are in need their need will be cheerfully met. The recipients of generosity show their gratefulness as they are able. The wealthy will not be considered better than the less fortunate. Spiritual goodness will be recognized and honored above material success.

The group will openly discuss what it means to be in the spirit of Christ. The letter of the law will never prevail. The letter of the law will only be a hazy shadow of the spirit of the law, the spirit of Christ. As strange as it seems the spirit of the law will be clearly defined and the letter of the law will seem gray and indefinite, not dictating proper action but suggesting proper action. The spirit of Christ will be nurtured so uniformly and fully that it will shine through in any situation.

Jesus was the saving lamb, not the avenging warrior. He came to those who would receive him. He never intended followers to come kicking and screaming. That is the doing of Paul and the church that would follow.

The above describes a Christian utopia. I realize it is not attainable, but the Amish and others may come close.

Adstar may have a terrible bedside manor, but I think he might agree with me on many of these issues (or should I say I agree with him).

I think the Christian/Conservative right is way off base thinking society has an obligation to follow what they consider to be the True Morality. I think they dishonor the spirit of Christ.

I consider myself a Zen (Buddhist) Jeffersonian Christian-Deist, not necessarily in that order.

A special transmission outside the scriptures;
Depending not on words and letters;
Pointing directly to the human mind;
Seeing into one's nature, one becomes a Buddha.

LephtShew said:
Well, in my opinion Adstar just pretty much agreed that the broader "christians" are hypocritical etc. So in the end he has answered my question. He got a little defensive and mad at the end there though considering the "attack" was not directed at him since he claims to be part of the narrow "Christians".

I like your point on not including the strictly religious laws into the laws on earth. Pretty much right there you're agreeing that we should not have laws against homosexual marriages and so once again you are agreeing with BeHereNow.

What a happy conversation.

Hi LephtShew.

Thanks for your points. In the end it was your question so i suppose this thread is really yours.

When you first asked about hypocrisy i took it that the hypocrisy you where talking about was about people telling others how to live their lives and not living the life they are telling others to live. My first post was directed at answering with that perception in my mind. If i was wrong then please tell me what the kind of hipocracy you mean is?

The Hypocrisy that BeHereNow was talking about was religious people claiming to follow the teachings of a book but only selectively accepting certain teachings they agree with and ignoring other teachings of that book.

As for getting mad i do get upset after investing hours of thought and putting heaps of effort into doing my best to give my thoughts to someone who i think might be a seeker only to find out they have no intention of listening but only trying to push their thoughts and project their prejudices upon me. I am not angry as such. im just sad at wasting my time on someone who is not open.

And yes me and BeHereNow have many things in common but we are not one in faith.

Not related to the ongoing discussion, but to the original question, I believe, can I put in this quick sidebar?

I've just read (most of) Q: The Lost Gospel by Burton L. Mack, an NT scholar. A brief introduction: For nearly 100 years it has been broadly accepted that the synoptic gospels of Mark, Matthew and Luke (in rough order of composition) contained common parts which pointed to their all working from a source document, probably of the sayings of Jesus. German scholarship being prominent in this field of analysis, the source document was referred to as logienquelle or "sayings source", or simiply Quelle ("source"), commonly abbreviated as Q.

According to Mack, in the 1980s and 1990s sufficiently close analysis of the text of the New Testament gospels, as well as other early Christian writing such as the Gospel of Thomas, have succeeded in extracting a virtually full rendition of Q in such a way as to even make it possible to identify three strands of Q composition. Based on the text of the known Q, Mack has deduced that the composers of the original document were not strictly Christians as we know them - they had no knowledge of a miraculous birth, no concept of his martyrdom and no belief in his resurrection. He calls them Jesus people and says that the original Jesus was a follower of the Cynic school: Cynics were those who affected a totally pauper lifestyle and made their way in the world entirely on their wits.

With this as the background, he traces the history of the composition and selection of the New Testament, and finally claims that it is Q's citation of the Malachi ("Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. Malachi 3:1), used by all three Gospels in one way or another which eventually determined the order of the Christian Old Testament (which is different from the Jewish bible).

Now to the meat of the matter, and the point of my posting here. Possibly with an eye to having his booked ramped up as "controversial" by his publishers, he summarises with a chapter entitled Christians and their Myth, in which he says that Q "poses a challenge" to conventional Christianity. It's like he's saying that he's "proved" the whole Jesus narrative is a fake, and what could the Christian churches response to that be?

I'm reminded of that nonsensical rubbish Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, which ultimately boils down to the concept that the Vatican is willing to murder people in order to maintain the secrecy of some "proof" that Jesus wasn't exactly what the Bible said he was.

Well, it's actually about ten years on from Mack's book now, and I notice that the Pope was still there last Saturday, slurring his way through the annual Christmas message.

It strikes me that there must be many many Christians who don't really believe the miraculous parts of the story (virgin Birth, Resurrection), but don't really let that affect their faith.

Your point is very valid, but to the last thing you said about Christians not believing the miraculous parts but continuing their faith... I'm not sure if i understand you. Do you mean that they know the miracles arent true, but remain christian (hypocritical) or do you mean that, they choose to have faith that they are true regardless of any scientific proof (which i would assume is the point of "faith" in a religious sense).

I don't see the hypocrisy in being a Christian and not believing in the miracles. However, my view is undoubtedly flawed.

I was brought up as a Catholic Christian. I was taught the basic Christian values: Christ was born the son of God. He performed miracles which proved it. His message was love one another, turn the other cheek, give to the poor, go to heaven. I never really understood the concept of him dying "for my sins", which I thought was appalling if not meaningless. I could never really see the relevance in his death and resurrection in any case. If he hadn't died on the cross, he'd still be dead - it was 2000 years ago, surely? If he didn't return from the dead, he'd be alive in heaven anyway, right?

Then I became an atheist.

Only after that did I find out that for some, Christianity involved specifically believing in the Living Christ for entry into Heaven; that the born again movement was predicated on a kind of self-induced ecstasy wherein Christ enters your heart (this actually happened to me when I believed, without the prompting of any minister as far as I recall; I was only 9 or 10 at the time, and I only really remember the ecstasy); that a great deal of almost incomprehensible stuff from the OT is apparently important to Christian belief. But when I believed in Jesus, I didn't really understand any of that stuff - and the moral code I grew up with was a good one to try to live by anyway, or so it seemed to me. (I didn't know about the homophobia, misogyny, xenophobia or acceptance of violent means in those days).

So I don't see why people cannot accept that Christ lives within them and try to live by his code and yet not believe that the miracle tales (any of them) are any more than mythology. One rather famous such person was David Jenkins the Anglican Bishop of Durham!
LephtShew said:
Your point is very valid, but to the last thing you said about Christians not believing the miraculous parts but continuing their faith... I'm not sure if i understand you. Do you mean that they know the miracles arent true, but remain christian (hypocritical) or do you mean that, they choose to have faith that they are true regardless of any scientific proof (which i would assume is the point of "faith" in a religious sense).
To answer your question directly, I'm quite sure that some do the former and some do the latter.

Believers STOP exploring! maybe through fear, aapathy, a combination.....

can you not see this. The Christian church approprated paganism. By paganism i am meaning EARTH oriented paganism which recognized a GODDESS, and had SACRAMENTs which inspired REAL sprititual ecstasy (i am not discounting the posters ecstsy he felt as a child. i will get to that in a moment).
Now, you are aware that many ancinet Christian churches were built on moore ancient pagan sacred places right, and how many pagan gods, being so close to the people wcouldn't entirely be demonized and eradicated were then 'turned into' Christian saints........you are aware of all this right?
so, then please understand that the REAL sacraments, which were hallucinogenic-, were ALSO taken over by the church BUT instead of the real sacramants what the people got was a PLACEBO. a fasle sacramant. a sacramant that didn't deliver...didn't inspire
Now, we know from modern studies that wehn therer have been experimetnal placebo tests doen, that when people EXPECt to be getting something which is supposed to make them feel something, they sometimes may actually feel that. Well, the same it is for some with the empty sacrament of Christianity, the wafer and wine, etc. But WITH it, comes the dogma. the rules, the guilt, the division made between the 'flesh' and the 'spirit' etc etc. all of which is detrimental for actual communion with Nature. for hen one is made to feel guilty about ones flsh, sexuality, natrual state, that also creates a guilt and divsion between you and Nature

The whole idea of Christian dogma of one nan being horribly sacrificed so as to save his followers is strictly patriachal bullshite. the REAL deeper meaning of sacrifice--where the christians ripped off the much more ancinet pagan motic is the sacrifice of the eprsona after having ingested the sacrament, and the sense of communion with Nature and community which IS Goddess....do you see the VITAL difference?

Lephtshew: Do you mean that they know the miracles arent true, but remain christian (hypocritical) or do you mean that, they choose to have faith that they are true regardless of any scientific proof (which i would assume is the point of "faith" in a religious sense).

Thomas Jefferson considered himself Christian (he was a Christian Deist). He used a ‘bible” that contained only the words of Jesus. All of the rest was irrelevant. No supernatural, no miracles. His idea of the “ideal” Christian church was Unitarian. Many protestants today see the biblical miracles as folklore.
Hypocritical means one claims they believe one thing, but demonstrate they believe something else (“I believe the Bible literally, oh, not that part”). It is not hypocritical to express Christian doctrine that differs from other Christians. There are of course people who define Christians as being exactly like they are, and the other Christians are not really Christian.
Christianity is not monolithic.

I was under the impression that there was no "bible" directly containing the words of Jesus? Only accounts from the gospels?

Also, Silas, would i be correct in assuming you took your screen name from The Da Vinci Code? or perhaps from the same source that the author found the name...?

LephtShew: I was under the impression that there was no "bible" directly containing the words of Jesus? Only accounts from the gospels?
M*W: Your impression was correct. Jesus' own words do not appear in Paul's Epistles nor in the NT Gospels. The Epistles were written first between the years 50-65 AD. The Gospels were patterned by Paul's Epistles and were known to be written by Mark, Matthew and Luke. However, no one knows for sure who wrote the Gospels. The Gospel of John and Revelations has been studied sufficiently by biblical scholars to conclude these two books were the handiwork of Mary Magdalene who also is believed to have appeared in the NT where the Beloved Apostle, John, appears.

Some of the Gnostic Gospels (I haven't read them all) appear to quote Jesus directly (following the crucifixion). I tend to believe that the crucifixion never happened.

Jesus' words do appear in Paul's gospel. In Paul's description of the last supper, Paul quotes Jesus.

Lephtshew:
Concerning Thomas Jefferson’s bible, I might more accurately have said “only the words attributed to Jesus”, for the reasons mentioned by medicine woman. However TJ never indicated he doubted the validity of the quotes attributed to Jesus. If we could ask him to describe his bible, he would answer as I indicated. Christians feel the Bible has been written with divine intervention from God, so they feel they are the words of Jesus.

We do accept many quotes of famous people even though they were not recorded at the time, thus are only hearsay.

I can’t tell from your comments if you are familiar with the “red letter” edition of the KJV of the bible. This version has all of the (attributed) words of Jesus in red. TJ took the time to cut out these sections and paste them in a special book he used as a bible.

I think it is significant that Jesus, considered by his contemporary followers to be a Rabbi, never wrote a single word to be kept by his followers. To me the significance is that he may have known that his followers would become too dependent on his written word and lose the original message. From my perspective, this is what has happened.
I have never seen this expressed by others, so don’t put too much credence in it. Just my 2 cents.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~
A special transmission outside the scriptures;
Depending not on words and letters;
Pointing directly to the human mind;
Seeing into one's nature, one becomes a Buddha.

okinrus: Jesus' words do appear in Paul's gospel. In Paul's description of the last supper, Paul quotes Jesus.
M*W: Hi okinrus! Unfortunately, Paul "quoted" Jesus, but those were Paul's words -- not Jesus' words. Paul was just creatively writing dialog.

Back