religious symbol of christianity..

stu_uk

Registered Member
As I'm sure you are all aware the symbol of chrisitanity (the cross or crusifx) is derived from the belief that Jesus was crucified.

So, if his life had accured in modern day USA, could the symbol of christianinty be a lethal injection. If so would this hold as much significance as the crusifix does to christian society now?

:bugeye:

The crucifix also carried the meaning of somone who is cursed. It has a further implication than death.

Deut. 21: 22-23
If a man guilty of a capital offense is put to death and his body is hung on a tree, you must not leave his body on the tree overnight. Be sure to bury him that same day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse.

Galatians 3:13-14
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.'​

Jenyar

Where in the Bible does it say that the cross is to be used a symbol? Since you go by the Bible and only the Bible then you should have absolutely no beliefs that are not specifically stated in the Bible.

In light of the views of todays fundamentalist Christians, the fact that their religious symbol is a torture/murder device actually seems very fitting!

---------------------

"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses."

-- Lenny Bruce

Jenyar . . . Does that mean ye'r worshiping a cursed man?

. . . How odd. :bugeye:

Brutus1964 said:
Jenyar

Where in the Bible does it say that the cross is to be used a symbol? Since you go by the Bible and only the Bible then you should have absolutely no beliefs that are not specifically stated in the Bible.
Symbols are just that: symbols. They're picture metaphors that represent something real. Letters are symbols too, or words would have had no meaning. "The alpha and omega" simply means "A and Z", yet as a symbol it effectively brings together Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 2:8/22:13.

The early Christians wouldn't have used the cross as a symbol for the same reason we wouldn't use the electric chair: it was too offensive. As the JewishEncyclopedia says, it was so familiar to the Jews in New Testament times that they spoke frequently of "men carrying their cross before them while going to be executed". It only really came into general use after crucifixion was outlawed as a means of execution. Christians were used to symbolism. The most obvious symbol is the water of baptism (1 Peter 3:21). And of course, the Holy Spirit descended like a dove (Luke 3:22), which is symbolic. Jesus also referred to himself as the good shepherd, and this, or the lamb, was the earliest symbol used to depict Christ.

So we do not believe in the cross, because it's a symbol referring to Christ's passion. Feel free to show how the crucifixion of Christ is not in the Bible.

Last edited:
it was to stu uk, and that's how jesus was killed in a conterporary JC superstar I saw a fwe months ago. Very fun, the americans were the romans, pilate was a us general, and JC was killed by lethal injection. absolutely no relevance, just reminded me of that :)

weed_eater_guy said:
it was to stu uk, and that's how jesus was killed in a conterporary JC superstar I saw a fwe months ago. Very fun, the americans were the romans, pilate was a us general, and JC was killed by lethal injection. absolutely no relevance, just reminded me of that :)

I haven't but will look into it, the only modern day "interpretation" of jesus I've seen is Jerry Springer the opera. "interpretation is used in the loosest context.

I would imagine that one could draw many parrells in this contempary jc superstar you've seen and the corrupt ideology we're being fed by "the war on terror"

"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses."

-- Lenny Bruce
Oh, man! I never knew Lenny Bruce did that, I thought the idea was original with Bill Hicks! I'm really bummed that a genius I worshipped took one of his best ideas from another genius...

Bill Hicks version:
Such a weird belief. Lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he's gonna want to see a fucking cross, man? "Woah!" Maybe why he hasn't shown up yet. "Man, they're still wearing crosses. Fuck it, I'm not goin, dad. No, they totally missed the point. When they start wearing fishes I might show up again, but... Let me bury fossil heads with you Dad, Fuck em - Let's Fuck with them! They're fuckin with me now, lets get em. Give me that brontosaurus head, Dad."

the Holy Spirit descended like a dove (Luke 3:22)

oh god, NO. i saw a white bird when i was in my death throes....i swear to god i did...i swear to god i did. i think it may have been a pigeon, but who cares he told me he was Jesus (telepathically) and i dont care anymore what anyone thinks.

wow man, if anyone wants to know the WHOLE story just ask me...and i will tell you. most people just tell me i was hallucinating anyway, thats ok i would think the same thing and maybe i am not supposed to talk about it but i have trouble keeping secrets sometimes.:(

Last edited:
oh god, NO. i saw a white bird when i was in my death throes... i swear to god i did... i swear to god i did. i think it may have been a pigeon, but who cares he told me he was Jesus (telepathically) and i dont care anymore what anyone thinks.

wow man, if anyone wants to know the WHOLE story just ask me... and i will tell you.
M*W: Birds represent freedom. I've stated that before. I wish you could also know the understanding of what the literal meaning of sacrifice is. We are all free. We are all one, and we are all destined to become the life that we have chosen. Anything beyond that is a farce.

I have no idea what your talking about M*W...but thats ok. We'll all just say i was hallucinating, it is easier that way.

I've never understood why they eat his flesh and drink his blood.

Isn't that cannibalism? Is it a preservation of some cannibalistic cult practice?

Back