Religion & Politics Down Under ...have fun!

Adam, to you religion may be a hobby.

But if you actually believe it, it's more than that.

What if you believed God, the supreme being that you felt humbled before and felt obliged to obey all that He said, told you that you had to pray 5 times a day facing towards Mecca, at almost exact times, and that you couldn't let it slip unless there was something very urgent.

Also, I'll argue with you about the 4-hour-break thing when you show me somebody who truly believes all the tenets of a religion that calls for that, and that honestly looks for jobs such as this man's (the man in the article).

GB

What if you believed God, the supreme being that you felt humbled before and felt obliged to obey all that He said, told you that you had to pray 5 times a day facing towards Mecca, at almost exact times, and that you couldn't let it slip unless there was something very urgent.
Such a person is a bad prospect as an employee. As I said, what if this joker was employed as a surgeon? Screw that. If anyone has any personal beliefs which will screw with their work above and beyond what all the other workers will do, don't hire him. He is a bad risk.

Also, I'll argue with you about the 4-hour-break thing when you show me somebody who truly believes all the tenets of a religion that calls for that, and that honestly looks for jobs such as this man's (the man in the article).
The specific time is irrelevent. The point is, where do you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable personal behaviours which are allowed in the workplace?

Really? It's irrelevant?

The specific time is irrelevent. The point is, where do you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable personal behaviours which are allowed in the workplace?
I think the time makes all the difference in the world.

Ten minutes that he can make up at the end of the day? Show me why this cannot be accommodated. Now, that's actually left to his employer to argue, but ten minutes out, for instance, at my job, would not grind production to a screeching halt. Four hours, theoretically, would.

The lines are pretty basic:

• You don't violate the rights of others
• You don't break production
• You don't endanger people

Taking ten minutes twice a day does not seem problematic in any of these ways.
A surgeon with religion seems dangerous to me.
Funny, that. It was Seventh-Day Adventists who developed and installed the first artificial heart-valve. Some of the best care you can get in the US is at Catholic hospitals. Go figure.
What if the surgeon happened to come from that crazy bunch in America that refuses to allow blood transfusions?
Well, even in the US, where religion is protected, it's easy enough to not hire a doctor who tells you in advance that he will not perform lifesaving procedures.

It's really easy.

The technological comparison to your surgeon example would be to hire an Amish beta tester. Or, specifically, to refuse to hire an Amish beta tester because he won't operate electrical devices.

What if a surgeon was a rabid-anti-war protestor, and his deeply held beliefs had him running off in the middle of the day to throw eggs at Bushy?
There is no doctrinal support for assaulting the President. There is doctrinal support for prayer.

Furthermore, most employers have a clause in their hiring: I, for instance, could be fired from my job if I was merely arrested. Convicted is a separate thing entirely.
At work, you do your work. Leave your personal hobbies at home.
That's the nice thing about freedom. You can call what you don't like whatever you want and have an opinion about it.

And, as you've shown, you aren't obliged to have a shred of credibility about it, either.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Tiassa

Ten minutes that he can make up at the end of the day? Show me why this cannot be accommodated. Now, that's actually left to his employer to argue, but ten minutes out, for instance, at my job, would not grind production to a screeching halt. Four hours, theoretically, would.
So what, precisely, is the time limit? Is ten minutes and thirteen seonds the allowable limit? Or sixteen minutes and seven seconds? Where do you draw the line on that one Tiassa?

Yep, sounds good. I can agree on all that.

Funny, that. It was Seventh-Day Adventists who developed and installed the first artificial heart-valve. Some of the best care you can get in the US is at Catholic hospitals. Go figure.
1) And thankfully he didn't have to stop half way through and pray on a rug, or attend an anti-war protest, or whip himself for being born a sinner. But what if he had? Surely such beliefs are perfectly valid and must be accepted.

2) I am not really sure you can point to any aspect of US health care as reasonable or good. Quite possibly a backyard coathanger is superior to US hospitals in some instances, but that doesn't make a backyard coathanger "good". Go figure.

Well, even in the US, where religion is protected, it's easy enough to not hire a doctor who tells you in advance that he will not perform lifesaving procedures.

It's really easy.
Actually, I would expect that if a surgeon applied for a job at a hospital, told them he could not do transfusions, and was turned down, he could probably force the hospital to hire him or give him heaps of money based on unfair discrimination. That is what happens in your country, and in mine now unfortunately.

There is no doctrinal support for assaulting the President. There is doctrinal support for prayer.
So paperwork makes the difference? Consider the principle. Exchange the word "president" for "mayor" or anyone else.

Furthermore, most employers have a clause in their hiring: I, for instance, could be fired from my job if I was merely arrested. Convicted is a separate thing entirely.
That's a bit nuts. Convicted I can understand, but you shouldn't lose a job for being arrested and found innocent.

That's the nice thing about freedom. You can call what you don't like whatever you want and have an opinion about it.
That's the easy thing about sarcasm. You don't have to address an issue, you can merely make snide comments.

To my mind, it's quite simple. This is going to be the end result of this case :

This muslim guy is going to win his case. Australia is very touchy about this type of persecution at the moment, and the court's decision will reflect not necessarily popular opinion, but popular publicly displayed opinion. There is a fair amount of difference between the two.

As a result, a lot of employers, while not appearing to directly circumvent any laws, will find reasons not to employ devoutly religious muslims.

Now, unless this Kamal El-Masri is a complete fool (which, of course, he has a fair chance of being), then he should know this.
So exactly what is his motive?

Last edited:
Originally posted by tiassa

Actually I would have to agree with that.

Adam,

<i>I thought scientist-types didn't make wild assumptions.</i>

Call it an educated guess. It's right, isn't it?

<i>Yes. After taking time off to deal with an entirely personal matter that should not be a drain on the company.</i>

You may not have noticed, but there are two sexes: men and women. Due to an accident of biology, women bear the burden of actually having the children. Without that, the human race would not exist.

The relevant question here is: should women be discriminated against merely because of an accident of biology? Clearly you think this is reasonable. Now, let me make another wild guess:

You're a man, right?

James R

Call it an educated guess. It's right, isn't it?
Not really. I've been in other countries for short periods, places where I was in the minority. And minorities there are treated a lot worse than minorities here. believe it or not, Australia is better than most countries out there. Amazingly, the USA is also better than most countries out there.

The relevant question here is: should women be discriminated against merely because of an accident of biology?
Let me respond to that question with another. If a woman takes paid time off from work, should her husband/boyfriend/girlfriend not also take that same amount of paid time away from work? And what about anyone who helps out with the baby, such as sisters, brothers, nannies, et cetera? Shouldn't all of them get that time, paid, away from work?

Um ... Adam? Well, I guess I did say "have fun", but I'm starting to worry about you

So what, precisely, is the time limit? Is ten minutes and thirteen seonds the allowable limit? Or sixteen minutes and seven seconds? Where do you draw the line on that one Tiassa?
If, for instance, a man named Ibrahim al Ibn Battuta comes into my office and applies for a job--and can we, for the sake of argument, establish clearly that he is a Muslim?--and as I look over his qualifications I would love to hire him I should be acute enough to ask what times his prayers must occur on the grounds that I need to know if those times can be reasonably accommodated by the job. So I'm ... oh, hiring for a software development firm. Hey, let's open this one up:

ATTENTION: All who read this topic!

With respect, I was wondering if anyone can describe to me a job at a software or other technology-development firm that cannot afford a ten-minute adjustment?

Thank you ....

Now, Adam, the difference being that very few jobs in the world are subject to that conflict.

Yeah, it's just as stupid for the Muslim doctor to leave his patient on the table (Does this actually happen?) in order to pray as it is for the American doctor to break for ... well, you know, surgeons do break for lunch during long operations; you shift in another doctor, though I don't know if that's to supervise the off-time or to continue the operation. But if a surgeon's at the table for sixteen or twenty or thirty hours, you can bet he or she is taking a few minutes here and there. And you know, despite the West's poor image of Islam and its ways, I'm pretty sure that Allah understands that you've got an infant on the table who will die if you ease up to pray. Doctors are doctors first, and if a Muslim man is to become a surgeon, so it is that Allah wills, and in His mercy and wisdom, Allah shall understand, or else He would not have willed it.

It's not as simple as any one argument.

Depends on the job, depends on the need.

Tigger, my ... uh ... well, other half works ... but, anyway ....

Tigger, my other half, gets to take extra paid time off every day right now because of a choice she made to be pregnant. Nobody says a thing about it because they all want the same; most people in this country are religious; I held that line as a provocateur once in my workplace. (We had rules against religious displays, but several Christian displays marred the office scenery, so I started decking out my cubicle with Aleister Crowley and such. It took two years for anyone to ask, and when they did, I asked who wanted to go upstairs and tell the ladies to take down their Jesus stuff? Other women who Tigger works with have watched the management structure have fits about this (usually the pregnant women just quit, apparently, at that particular place), but nobody is complaining because the women all want the same respect when they're pregnant, and the guys ... well, at that particular place, most of the men are, literally and consistently, not intelligent enough to have that conflict--that is, they accept things like God and the necessity of pregnancy as a given, and it never strikes them as odd when people need minor accommodation.
Yep, sounds good. I can agree on all that.
In terms of where to draw the line? I think you now have some criteria by which to set it.
1) And thankfully he didn't have to stop half way through and pray on a rug, or attend an anti-war protest, or whip himself for being born a sinner. But what if he had? Surely such beliefs are perfectly valid and must be accepted.
Remember all those times I called you a bigot and you didn't seem to know why? Shit like that is why. I mean, come on ... that's just fucking stupid, Adam. I know you're smarter than that; what has you so irritated here that you're willing to set your intelligence aside like that? And, for the record, the courts in this country have already had their say on SDA-related conflicts, and that decision came out of a fight over what days a gas station was open. And, in that case, the idiot franchise owner didn't read his contract, which specified that the station must be open on Friday and Saturday.

If all he needed was ten minutes on a carpet, I don't think the issue ever would have made it to court. Did I begrudge people the thirty-minutes of Catholic and Lutheran prayers around the office after an earthquake? No. I was more pissed about the people who were still actually scared. I've never seen the mob stupidity move so quickly in my life.
2) I am not really sure you can point to any aspect of US health care as reasonable or good. Quite possibly a backyard coathanger is superior to US hospitals in some instances, but that doesn't make a backyard coathanger "good". Go figure.
So what is the standard today, Adam? Anything that lets you be just a little embittered?

We have some "health-care" issues, such as who pays for what and when. But sorry, dude, our SDA and Catholic hospitals set quality standards with their care.

What are you so upset about that you're sacrificing your intellect to your desire?
Actually, I would expect that if a surgeon applied for a job at a hospital, told them he could not do transfusions, and was turned down, he could probably force the hospital to hire him or give him heaps of money based on unfair discrimination. That is what happens in your country, and in mine now unfortunately.
Is it religious people, Americans in general, or doctors specifically that you have a problem with? Any SDA or Catholic doctor will be willing to endanger or even terminate a fetus if the circumstances are downright necessary. Any doctor who refuses as a matter of principle to perform a lifesaving procedure is breaking directly the oath taken to become a doctor.
So paperwork makes the difference? Consider the principle. Exchange the word "president" for "mayor" or anyone else.
Even in the US, where religion is protected, no religion may willfully harm people.
That's a bit nuts. Convicted I can understand, but you shouldn't lose a job for being arrested and found innocent.
There exists an arcane standard that you can still find in various places in the US, called "the appearance of impropriety". It's not inherent, it's part of what we call "at-will" employment.
That's the easy thing about sarcasm. You don't have to address an issue, you can merely make snide comments.
I wasn't aware there was an actual issue to address.

On the other hand, I do recall an occasion where one of my co-workers left their job for about thirty minutes to write calligraphy for our HR director. Of course, it wasn't anything work-related; they were addressing thank-you notes for a bridal shower (the HR director was getting married). By your standard, my co-worker should have left her hobby--calligraphy--at home.

I just don't get it, Adam. Have you taken up a crack-smoking habit lately? Hell, I look at the discussion you're having with James R and I really do wonder. What the hell has happened to you? Are you not sleeping anymore?
Let me respond to that question with another. If a woman takes paid time off from work, should her husband/boyfriend/girlfriend not also take that same amount of paid time away from work? And what about anyone who helps out with the baby, such as sisters, brothers, nannies, et cetera? Shouldn't all of them get that time, paid, away from work?
You know, I think both biological parents are entitled to time off, but I don't think the American FMLA provides for that period to be paid.

But sisters? What? Come on, where are you getting this?

Nannies? In this country a nanny is a paid occupation.

The situation reflects a basic truth: biological parents are a necessity of being human, otherwise, the species disappears. While nuclear family is important, it is the job of the parents to raise the children, so ... you know ...?

And yes, if I can construe that there is nobody else to attend to a family issue during this period, a sibling is entitled to time away from work; whether or not its paid depends on the labor laws in your locale. Tigger, for instance, is not getting paid for her twelve weeks off. She is, however, getting paid for her week of forced vacation that came as a result of an HR screwup.

Easy enough? But that's just the American picture.

Come on, Adam. Shake it back together, man. You're swinging more wildly than I'm used to seeing out of you.

I mean, I do remember thinking this way once, but what happened next is best left for a different forum. (Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that I am in the religion forum. So it just belongs in a different topic.)

thanx,

In the US, we have a way of solving the problem. You tack the extra time on to the end of the day. Now, admittedly, that depends on his job...
Thank you.

While I understand the very Western rejection of this man's right to pray...
You really dislike that term, "the West", don't you? You do realise that one of the more prominent religions (whch includes prayer) over the past thousand years has been "Western", yes? How could "the West" be against prayer?

But I've watched Muslims go through Ramadan ... that taxes an employer.
Thank you.

On the one hand, employers do need to think ahead. To the other, they can't account for everything.
Again, thanks. So what exactly must they account for? Which personal practices of which employees must be catered for by an employer, and which are ignored? 24601 can take some time off in the middle of the day to pray, and work late; but 24602 can't play trombone in the office from 2pm to 3pm, and then work an hour later? Why? How can you say that 24601's personal activities are more important than 24602's?

Again, you draw distinctions based on the times of breaks, the personal activities involved, and the job in question. So tell me, how do you decide which person can do what, and when? Surely all their personal activities must be valid at the office if any are.

As I said prior to your last piece of grandstanding, I agree. If all employees can fit into those three rules, I'd have no problems with it.

With respect, I was wondering if anyone can describe to me a job at a software or other technology-development firm that cannot afford a ten-minute adjustment?

Now, Adam, the difference being that very few jobs in the world are subject to that conflict.
Any hardware manufacturer or software disc printer. I mean any such place, above the very small limited run outfits. Aassembly lines for chips run all the time. If it's his job to monitor the dyes, and he takes ten minutes out which he will work on later, there are still ten minutes of potentially faulty chips he has completely ignored. That's hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands, every time he takes a prayer break.

Thanks again.

Remember all those times I called you a bigot and you didn't seem to know why? Shit like that is why.
Nope, I still don't see why. I'm against anyone or any group, which takes advantage of today's climate of caving in to political correctness to soak up as much advantage as they can. Everyone with a lobby group wants more cash, better conditions, preferential treatment, easier access to jobs... I really don't care if they are white, black, christian, muslim, atheist, NRA, Black Panthers, George Bush, or any other idiot. If they want special treament above and beyond what the majority can expect, simply for existing, rather than for any meritorious service, they can get stuffed. If they don't want special treatment, I'm fine with them. Bigoted? Maybe against the greedy and corrupt, but that's all. But apart from the greedy and corrupt, please identify any group which I am bigoted against. Any standard for working conditions must apply to all members of a society, else it is injust. This means that even someone working on a chip printing line must be able to have those breaks, which could disrupt business substantially.

We have some "health-care" issues, such as who pays for what and when. But sorry, dude, our SDA and Catholic hospitals set quality standards with their care.
Fair enough. This is something I don't know about. I only know the USA's public health system is crap, and would think that is the standard by which you would judge the value of other hospitals.

Any doctor who refuses as a matter of principle to perform a lifesaving procedure is breaking directly the oath taken to become a doctor.
That surprises you? There are doctors all over your country assisting in suicides. Some steal drugs from the pharmacies and sell them to illegal suppliers.

Even in the US, where religion is protected, no religion may willfully harm people.
But they may allow people to be harmed, or to die? Such as those chaps who don't allow their kids to have medical treatment?

You know, I think both biological parents are entitled to time off, but I don't think the American FMLA provides for that period to be paid.

But sisters? What? Come on, where are you getting this?

Nannies? In this country a nanny is a paid occupation.

The situation reflects a basic truth: biological parents are a necessity of being human, otherwise, the species disappears. While nuclear family is important, it is the job of the parents to raise the children, so ... you know ...?

And yes, if I can construe that there is nobody else to attend to a family issue during this period, a sibling is entitled to time away from work; whether or not its paid depends on the labor laws in your locale. Tigger, for instance, is not getting paid for her twelve weeks off. She is, however, getting paid for her week of forced vacation that came as a result of an HR screwup.
Again, you demonstrate inconsistency. Is a biological connection the requirement you set for giving them paid time away from work? What about those who adopt babies? What about any number of circumstances in which people not related to the infant by blood are the ones who must look after the baby in its first months? Again, the rule must be made available to brothers, sisters, cousins, nannies, anyone at all who may be called upon to look after the kid at any time. Very disruptive.

You're swinging more wildly than I'm used to seeing out of you.
Actually, if you follwo this thread through, you will see a very common theme. Try harder. I shall point it out again directly below.

I wasn't aware there was an actual issue to address.
That's because you tend to go grandstanding and ignore material. So here I shall repeat what I have been asking throughout this thread.

The issue, as I have pointed out again in this post several times, is that you seem to advocate a different standard for different people. For the society to be egalitarian, a single rule must apply to all. If there are twenty people and only one bite of chocolate, nobody gets chocolate. If a man working at a chip printing line can't tak ten minutes off to play his trombone, then no worker should be able to take that time off from any job for personal practices. The only other possibility is to create separate rules for each job, and for each type of personal activity. You think you can design a fair set of rules to cover so many variables?

Adam,

<i>If a woman takes paid time off from work, should her husband/boyfriend/girlfriend not also take that same amount of paid time away from work?</i>

Well, that depends, doesn't it? Are these people primary carers? Do they divide up the care time among themselves? Depending on the answers, then, yes, perhaps they should be entitled to paid time off work. In fact, isn't there much debate right now over paternity leave?

<i>And what about anyone who helps out with the baby, such as sisters, brothers, nannies, et cetera? Shouldn't all of them get that time, paid, away from work?</i>

Perhaps, depending on who is actually caring for the child. A nanny, BTW, is already a paid position.

I figured someone from Australia would have coughed up some legal analysis by now

You really dislike that term, "the West", don't you? You do realise that one of the more prominent religions (whch includes prayer) over the past thousand years has been "Western", yes? How could "the West" be against prayer?
You really need to stop mucking about in the sewers, Adam.

The word "rejection" is modified by the adjective "Western". The form of the rejection is very Western. It's shortsighted and narrowly-focused, traditionally Western in such manners.
Again, thanks. So what exactly must they account for? Which personal practices of which employees must be catered for by an employer, and which are ignored? 24601 can take some time off in the middle of the day to pray, and work late; but 24602 can't play trombone in the office from 2pm to 3pm, and then work an hour later? Why? How can you say that 24601's personal activities are more important than 24602's?
If you didn't write such idiot-simple examples, I would be challenged and not annoyed by this kind of discussion.

24601 can take ten minutes off. 24602 can take an hour off if it doesn't affect production. And 24602 can play the trombone all he wants. Now consider that prayer is a private thing that generally doesn't disturb one's neighbors--dancing naked in the cafeteria notwithstanding--so if 24602 can find a decent place to play his trombone where he isn't interrupting the workflow, yes, he can. At my job, I could have gotten away with it.

In the long run, it's trial and error, and the employer in the topic article seems to be under the burden of explaining this solution. Perhaps Australian labor laws will give them that leverage.
Again, you draw distinctions based on the times of breaks, the personal activities involved, and the job in question. So tell me, how do you decide which person can do what, and when? Surely all their personal activities must be valid at the office if any are.
Yes, masturbation comes to mind. As long as the employees wipe up afterward?

It's a bit of a stretch to cover all personal activities. But in terms of Australian law, let's start here:
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.
Constitution of Australia, sec. 116

Now, how does that play out with labor laws?

While I'm all for principles, it's well enough to look at the law, isn't it? The whole situation can be wrapped up easily once the legal grounds for the employer's actions are identified.
As I said prior to your last piece of grandstanding, I agree. If all employees can fit into those three rules, I'd have no problems with it.
And I think considerations of time fall under the heading of Do not break production. If the time commitment can be shown to be an unreasonable interruption of production, then the employer has grounds to refuse that accommodation. However, in hiring a Muslim, if one does not consider the conflicts of time and duty of production, that's the employer's fault. How is the Muslim supposed to know? He or she is applying for a job thinking they are capable of performing it. If the employer withholds a circumstance that contradicts this condition, that's their own fault, it seems.

Why hire a guy to a job you can't properly leave him at?
Any hardware manufacturer or software disc printer. I mean any such place, above the very small limited run outfits. Aassembly lines for chips run all the time. If it's his job to monitor the dyes, and he takes ten minutes out which he will work on later, there are still ten minutes of potentially faulty chips he has completely ignored. That's hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands, every time he takes a prayer break.
And if an employer knowingly hires a Muslim to that position, how is it the Muslim's fault?

And thank you.
I'm against anyone or any group, which takes advantage of today's climate of caving in to political correctness to soak up as much advantage as they can.
But you're not establishing that advantage, and frequently you fail to.

We have the same difficulty in the US. For instance, our "homosexual rights" disputes. On one side are people who don't want to see homosexuals taking advantage of civil rights. But nobody can tell me how being free from job, housing, legal, educational, or other discrimination is taking advantage of the situation.

When someone establishes that deliberate seizing of advantage, then there's an issue to consider. But you're not convincing me here.
I really don't care if they are white, black, christian, muslim, atheist, NRA, Black Panthers, George Bush, or any other idiot.
Actually, you do, as demonstrated by your position in this topic. Being a Muslim, unlike being an atheist, is more than just a label.
If they want special treament above and beyond what the majority can expect, simply for existing, rather than for any meritorious service, they can get stuffed.
Demonstrate how the right to pray is special treatment? You have the right to pray. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you should or can take it away from others. I have the right to own a firearm, but I don't. And I would hope that I could find better reasons for disliking the presence of firearms than the mere fact that I don't own and use one.
If they don't want special treatment, I'm fine with them
That's good. I won't argue with that.
Bigoted? Maybe against the greedy and corrupt, but that's all. But apart from the greedy and corrupt, please identify any group which I am bigoted against.
The religious, for instance. Your picture of them is stained by your prejudices to the point that you support your opinion with wild, unfounded projections.

Or we could look at protesters. You seem to have a serious problem with them, and unfairly assign them the burden of forsaking their rights to assembly. And, as we see in that topic, you're staking your opinion of protesters on the actions of some pretty stupid Australian protesters.
Any standard for working conditions must apply to all members of a society, else it is injust.
Which means that in order for Section 116 of the Australian Constitution to (A) be preserved, and (B) be fair, all religions must necessarily become the same?

The right is to religious observance. Within limits, that right is to be accommodated. (E.g.--virgin sacrifice is out of the question for reasons discussed in other posts, such as harming people.) Everyone, it seems, has a right to pray. Some need more time than others, and some choose to not employ that right at all.
This means that even someone working on a chip printing line must be able to have those breaks, which could disrupt business substantially.
In the US, job applications, as a matter of course, ask about potential scheduling conflicts. If, after these considerations, someone hires a Muslim to a job that that hiring agent knew could not afford that accommodation, it seems to me that the hiring agent is the one who has to figure out what to do, and punishing the Muslim is not the proper option.
I only know the USA's public health system is crap, and would think that is the standard by which you would judge the value of other hospitals.
And that's fair enough. And while we're looking at our causes for dispute and acrimony, might I point out that I wrote, Some of the best care you can get in the US is at Catholic hospitals. In this instance, I don't see why you're relying on the public standard as your basis of judgment when it's already acknowledged to be below that of the hospitals in question.
That surprises you? There are doctors all over your country assisting in suicides. Some steal drugs from the pharmacies and sell them to illegal suppliers.
What does this have to do with anything? You brought up the example of a doctor who refuses a lifesaving procedure on religious grounds. Religious grounds have almost nothing to do with it; it's a matter of being a doctor.

As to assisted suicide, doctors do have a course for mercy. If one is terminally ill and chooses to refuse further treatment against the disease, a doctor is within his or her rights to reduce suffering.
But they may allow people to be harmed, or to die? Such as those chaps who don't allow their kids to have medical treatment?
Yep. But it is a patient's right to refuse treatment, and in the US, parents speak for their children; our children are not afforded their Constitutional rights.
Again, you demonstrate inconsistency. Is a biological connection the requirement you set for giving them paid time away from work? What about those who adopt babies?
Fair enough. Strike the word "biological". The point being that the nuclear family is of certain importance among humans. The parents, who have the greatest responsibility to the child, in this case, have the greatest need. This as opposed to the sister, as the example goes. But lacking any other family, yes, it does work that way. My mother received the same emergency family leave to attend to her dying mother.
What about any number of circumstances in which people not related to the infant by blood are the ones who must look after the baby in its first months?
Such as? Those people are usually paid to look after the child.
Again, the rule must be made available to brothers, sisters, cousins, nannies, anyone at all who may be called upon to look after the kid at any time.
Okay, in the US, a nanny is a paid station; it's a hired caretaker like Mary Poppins, but without the singing and dancing and flying and alternate-universe and supercalifragilistic prerequisites. That's why I keep pinging that word. As to family members, if they are by nature of succession a primary caretaker of the child, then yes, they have a certain leave allotment under US federal law to do that, and then they can return to their job and if they're the primary caretaker, they get the same respect or disrespect--depending on the employer--as parents get, e.g. schedule-bending for teacher conferences, daycare crises, &c.
Very disruptive.
Only if it's done without common sense.
Actually, if you follwo this thread through, you will see a very common theme. Try harder. I shall point it out again directly below.
I was more referring to your goofy examples in lieu of consideration of the issues I was raising. Just because you quote the words doesn't mean you address them.
That's because you tend to go grandstanding and ignore material. So here I shall repeat what I have been asking throughout this thread.
Actually, as I read through it, all I see is you declaring religion a hobby. You're very welcome to that opinion. It's one of the nice things about freedom, and it seems that there is a freedom of religion in Australia that includes the right to observance.

It's your opinion. I don't particularly consider it that dignified an issue.

That's like a NAMBLA member calling it "love".

People can call things whatever they want. If it's so important for you to presume the nature of something, well and fine. But there's not much I can say that's dignified. I'm accustomed to these kinds of rhetorical turns in your arguments. They annoy me, but the alternative is to ask you to fuck off, and there's no real reason to go that far, is there? I'm not about to accept your choice of words just for the hell of it. What's the point of discussing something if I hand you your presumption in advance? I can't see why you would ask for it, either, except that I should remind you that just because you say so doesn't make it true. Religion is a fairly unique hobby. How many other hobbies are protected by the Australian Constitution?

And what are you going to do about it? That could be a topic in itself.
The issue, as I have pointed out again in this post several times, is that you seem to advocate a different standard for different people. For the society to be egalitarian, a single rule must apply to all. If there are twenty people and only one bite of chocolate, nobody gets chocolate. If a man working at a chip printing line can't tak ten minutes off to play his trombone, then no worker should be able to take that time off from any job for personal practices. The only other possibility is to create separate rules for each job, and for each type of personal activity. You think you can design a fair set of rules to cover so many variables?
So ... help me out with one thing, first. Why on earth did you go and throw out the principles we've agreed on so far? I've already mentioned your rhetorical presumption, so I won't harp on the point.

Right now the single rule in question is a matter of the right of the individual to religious observance. You, too, have this right. That you choose not to use it is your own choice. In the US, many people choose not to use their right to vote. I find that sad. But it's also amazing to me how many of those people use their less direct forms of expression, namely whining and moaning. This is an aside, though, and is not intended to reflect editorially on you in any way. All I'm after is that people have rights that they choose not to use. I have, in the past, employed my Second Amendment right to bear arms; I carried knives because I just don't like guns. But these days I don't carry weapons. I don't want to take the guns out of people's hands. I want to give them less reasons to use them. This is a far cry, though, from demanding that since I don't use a firearm, nobody else do. Comparatively, you, too, have the right to religious observance. That you choose not to use it is your own choice, but the right to reasonable accommodation of religious observance must remain as long as religion is a protected "hobby". Now, in terms of the topic case, I keep hoping that someone will post a local Aussie article that actually tells us the resolution of the reasonable accommodation question. Namely, if his job description seems to be one of the vital ones in question, then you are correct that reasonable accommodation threatens production. From there, we must look to the employer's behavior.

Now, if you're "thanking" me for pointing out that emplolyers can't account for everything, why are you also asking me to do what the employers cannot?

It is, literally, a case-by-case basis. Of course, imagining myself as an employer, if someone raised such issues with your posts raise in such a ridiculous manner, I would consider firing them for their inability to be part of the team. As such, if I ever run a large enough business that such an issue could be part of it, you can expect that my hiring teams would be instructed to filter out your kind of contrarian shite. While it works great for avoiding topics at Sciforums, it doesn't work well toward production. Your intentional lack of understanding of other people is more problematic than a Muslim needing to pray for ten minutes. And yes, the laws would let me do that. But one thing you have to remember is that if I ever run a business it would be a creative media operation, where discord aiming toward ignorance would be easily demonstrable as detrimental to the work effort.

Think of it this way: if you were my employee and complained about such circumstances according to the lack of dignity you've employed in this topic, I would either (A) not pay attention, or (B) give you exactly what you wanted. For instance, when the employees officially ask for a drug-free workplace, I would get rid of coffee and soda as well. The end result is that if I give you what you want, you probably wouldn't want to work for me anymore, anyway.

Take responsibility for yourself, and stop spending so much energy trying to take authority in other peoples' lives.

--Tiassa :cool:

it almost seems as if australia is terrorising their workers!
what is it that george bush said about terrorists? hunt them down? something like that?

:D

Tiassa

The word "rejection" is modified by the adjective "Western". The form of the rejection is very Western. It's shortsighted and narrowly-focused, traditionally Western in such manners.
I think you should travel in Asia some time. You'll find most people in Asia, just as in America, are short-sighted consumers.

If you didn't write such idiot-simple examples, I would be challenged and not annoyed by this kind of discussion.
My "idiot-simple" examples serve a clear purpose. Clarity. Attempt it.

In the long run, it's trial and error, and the employer in the topic article seems to be under the burden of explaining this solution.
And you can't see how trial and error would be counter-productive?

And if an employer knowingly hires a Muslim to that position, how is it the Muslim's fault?
You're saying the Muslim does not deserve the same chance as any other employee?

When someone establishes that deliberate seizing of advantage, then there's an issue to consider. But you're not convincing me here.
Examples:
- A couple of Jewish con-men who escaped a jail sentence because the prisons don't have synagogue, and the court decided it could not restrict thier religious activities.
- A gymnasium chain in Australia called Fernwood, which accepts only female members, a child of the feminist rampage.
- A gay nightclub in Melbourne which was in the news for throwing out someone they suspected of being straight; they faced no fines.

It's out there, you just don't look hard enough.

Actually, you do, as demonstrated by your position in this topic. Being a Muslim, unlike being an atheist, is more than just a label.
Wow. Tell me what else I believe.

The religious, for instance. Your picture of them is stained by your prejudices to the point that you support your opinion with wild, unfounded projections.
No, I make extreme examples for the purpose of elucidating points.

Or we could look at protesters. You seem to have a serious problem with them, and unfairly assign them the burden of forsaking their rights to assembly. And, as we see in that topic, you're staking your opinion of protesters on the actions of some pretty stupid Australian protesters.
Now you're making stuff up again. I never said people should not be allowed to protest. Please show that I said that.

In the US, job applications, as a matter of course, ask about potential scheduling conflicts. If, after these considerations, someone hires a Muslim to a job that that hiring agent knew could not afford that accommodation, it seems to me that the hiring agent is the one who has to figure out what to do, and punishing the Muslim is not the proper option.
Are you saying that specifically due to religion, some people are unsuitable for some jobs?

Yep. But it is a patient's right to refuse treatment, and in the US, parents speak for their children; our children are not afforded their Constitutional rights.
YOu mean, religion can say a kid will live or die over there before they get any constitutional protection? Religion has the right of life and death in your country? Wouldn't that be an example of religion having special rights?

Such as? Those people are usually paid to look after the child.
Such as those who adopt, but I see you have already covered this in the previous paragraph.

Actually, as I read through it, all I see is you declaring religion a hobby. You're very welcome to that opinion.
From dictionary.com: "Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure." Religion is not required for life. It is not required for any function of life. It brings comfort for those who believe in it. Like soccer for soccer fans. It brings, I am told, a sense of well-being, or pleasure. It is almost by definition a hobby. Yes, I know it is a very important hobby to most, but it is still a hobby.

How many other hobbies are protected by the Australian Constitution?
I know, and I'm not too impressed with the special treatment it gets over other hobbies.

Now, if you're "thanking" me for pointing out that emplolyers can't account for everything, why are you also asking me to do what the employers cannot?

It is, literally, a case-by-case basis.
I find such an attitude incompatible with the ideal of an egalitarian society. Ehca case must be judged by individuals, who will set different standards as they veiw a situation. That is inherently unfair.

Your intentional lack of understanding of other people is more problematic...
Tell me, do all those who disagree with your view lack comprehension? Are they all wrong, and you're right? I understand people. I don't have to like what I see though.

Think of it this way: if you were my employee and complained about such circumstances according to the lack of dignity you've employed in this topic...

Such as:
- "and I wonder why the hell you continue to argue points when you're that full of it."
- "I love the way you wait two or three posts to start bullshitting"
- "I'm sure that if you had a substantive argument, you wouldn't be resorting to that kind of crap."
- "Silly me. I forgot how you all live to serve your government."
- "frankly I find the infantile nature of your arguments to be more than a little insulting."
- "I find your posts to be duplicitous at best, and calculated to offend at worst."
- "And while you're at it, why don't you kiss your government's ass a little harder. I don't think you got your tongue far enough in last time."
- "Rhetoric is nice, Adam, and it's even funny when its as ill-writ as yours."

Gotta be more careful there with hypocrisy, Tiassa.

Milkshakes, terrorism, hobbies ... milkshakes, terrorism, hobbies ....

I think you should travel in Asia some time. You'll find most people in Asia, just as in America, are short-sighted consumers.
And with that response you indicate your lack of understanding. Anyone can be shallow and short-sighted. They are just shallow and short-sighted in their own way. What, are you pissed at the idea of "Western" ideas? Is it because the terrorists have already included Australia with the West? In the US, if I ask for a "milkshake" on the West Coast, I get flavored ice cream and milk. _If I go to the Northeast, though, if I ask for a milkshake there are places where I get ice cream and maple syrup. If I want a milkshake like I'm used to, there's another word to use that, frankly, escapes me. The terminology, of course, is coming together around consumerism; I can probably go to a Denny's or some such in those localities, ask for a milkshake, and get what I expect.

Likewise, Western ideas are unique in their heritage compared to Oriental ideas. If you follow the history of ideas back, Western ideas originate with Judeo-Christianity. (That's part of why the radical Muslims draw the East/West distinction.) Judeo-Christian ideas operate differently from Oriental ideas.

Why did you bother with the response you did? That the short-sighted, narrow consumerist focus is Western in its manifestation is still without your address, so thank you for validating my point.
My "idiot-simple" examples serve a clear purpose. Clarity. Attempt it.
Too bad they represent circumstances foreign to the debates in which you make them. Even Americans, over here in our odd country, have gotten sick of the kind of polar fiction you're casting about the debate. Our gun-control fight used to be filled with it, and our abortion fight, too. Using unrealistic examples in debate obliges you to make them comparable in some way. You have not done that. Rather, you've just thrown a bunch of dumb examples up.
And you can't see how trial and error would be counter-productive?
Technically, it's a more scientific way of doing things than just presuming and persecuting.
You're saying the Muslim does not deserve the same chance as any other employee?
Boy, you are reaching. Look, maybe they don't think of this in Australia, but in the US, they ask you if you can foresee anything that will get in the way of your performing of your duties. At this point, they want to hear about your childhood epilepsy or the vacation you've planned for the summer. They want a basic idea of what they're dealing with. If a Muslim says he needs to pray twice during the workday, and the company still hires him to a position that cannot afford that time, it seems it's the company's problem to deal with, and not one they can take out on the employee. It's at that point in the hiring process that you get to say, "I need to get naked and play the trombone four hours a day", or whatever idiotically unrealistic example you wish to raise.
A couple of Jewish con-men who escaped a jail sentence because the prisons don't have synagogue, and the court decided it could not restrict thier religious activities.
That's ridiculous. In this country, we just throw them in prison anyway and the warden sends evangelical Christians after them.

While I'm not a fan of that solution, either, I must ask if you're citing a real example? Because here I look back up to an earlier part of our discussion:
quote:

Very disruptive.

Only if it's done without common sense.
If your example is what Australians think is common sense, I can understand why you're upset. Of course, maybe the con men were just that good and were able to convince the judge. If you come across the transcript of the sentencing arguments, let me know. Sounds absolutely fascinating. Sounds like an utter breakdown of simple and common sense.
A gymnasium chain in Australia called Fernwood, which accepts only female members, a child of the feminist rampage.
Have 'em here in the US, too. I actually halfway agree with civilized segregation. I don't like segregation, but insofar as the genders are concerned, men have a hard time giving women respect. I know women who belong to women's clubs because it's the only place where they're not constantly sexually harassed. Personally, I think segregation is stupid, but I'm also aware that men in general have not been able to collect and conduct themselves with any reasonable dignity.
A gay nightclub in Melbourne which was in the news for throwing out someone they suspected of being straight; they faced no fines.
In Portland, Oregon, was a club that had 24 rules posted at the entrance. "No Heterosexual Conduct" was one of those rules. I saw stupid people get thrown out. It happens. It's a dumb rule, but they're allowed to have it because, well, the heterosexuals get their way and homosexuals are somehow segregated out of the population into their own grouping. But there's also a solid argument behind it that is demonstrable: if you allow heterosexual conduct in the club (I'm less accepting of not allowing heterosexuals in at all) then heterosexual women will come there because they like to dance, socialize, whatever, and it's pleasant for them to be able to dance with a guy who's not trying to rape them on the dance-floor. Of course, the heterosexual guys follow the women, and find themselves in a pink palace. Trouble inevitably results. So since people in Oregon had been making rules about showing your homosexuality in public, the club made rules about showing your heterosexuality inside the club. It's stupid, but that's the way they wanted to do it.

Here's a hint with the gay nightclubs: have you ever heard anyone say that gays shouldn't kiss, hold hands, or be romantic in public? That's why they do it. Because then there's a place that they do.

Did the club in Melbourne actually violate a law in throwing someone out for being straight? What was the grounds of their suspicion of being straight? We need details, not just Adam's generalizations.
It's out there, you just don't look hard enough.
I just wonder why it's such a big deal when it's gays or Muslims or whatnot. I mean, you seem to have a hard time grasping the very simple ideological separation of Western and Eastern (I mean, whence comes "Middle Eastern"? It's a dumb phrase without the rest of the classifications.) It's easy enough to see the faults of the people you don't like, Adam. You ought to take a look at the faults of the people you do like.
Wow. Tell me what else I believe.
Wow, that was a bad response, Adam.

Why do you take reality so personally?
No, I make extreme examples for the purpose of elucidating points.
It's a nice theory, but the points you elucidate are so far removed from the discussion that they often serve no purpose.
Now you're making stuff up again. I never said people should not be allowed to protest. Please show that I said that.
Well, you seem very anxious to excuse police brutality. that's where I get it. You have this nasty, nasty habit of defending the erroneous and criminal actions of state agencies against the people to whom they are obliged.
Are you saying that specifically due to religion, some people are unsuitable for some jobs?
Nope. I'm speaking of a conflict of obligations. It's a very practical matter. Whether your reason is religious or otherwise, if you tell me that issues exist which cannot reasonably be accommodated, I should not hire you. Because if I do hire you and then refuse accommodation of those issues, I will be clearly in the wrong.

You're all over the place, Adam. If you weren't so busy pursuing whatever ideological quarry you're after, you would have realized that this is exactly why the actual job itself is important to the discussion. We have, after all, discussed jobs which cannot afford certain time accommodations. If a pre-existing condition of any kind indicates that the employee cannot fulfill the obligations of the job, well? Do you hire him anyway just so you can fire him?
YOu mean, religion can say a kid will live or die over there before they get any constitutional protection?
Nope, parents can.
YOu mean, religion can say a kid will live or die over there before they get any constitutional protection?
Nope, parents do.
Wouldn't that be an example of religion having special rights?
Nope, it's an example of parents having rights. Any parent has them. That one chooses not to be a parent and bear children is their own choice. In the US, we have taken down various religious positions denying basic and acute medical care, but by and large parents do have some discretion. If the patient disagrees with the decision, though, they can protest. We had a case when I was in fifth grade where an 11 year-old won the right to die. If the patient expresses a will to live where the parent has decided otherwise, the patient's wish will be honored. If the patient cannot speak for itself, then the parents have the decision.
From dictionary.com: "Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure." Religion is not required for life. It is not required for any function of life. It brings comfort for those who believe in it. Like soccer for soccer fans. It brings, I am told, a sense of well-being, or pleasure.
It also brings fear, frustration, and the whole gamut of emotions.

I can just see the hobbyists fearing that their toy trains or ships in bottles, or their stamp collections will kill them while they sleep.

That was almost funny, Adam.
It is almost by definition a hobby. Yes, I know it is a very important hobby to most, but it is still a hobby.
Your arguments do make a lot of sense, but only if I rearrange reality to accommodate your plethora of judgments against people who aren't you.
know, and I'm not too impressed with the special treatment it gets over other hobbies.
So what are you going to do about it?
I find such an attitude incompatible with the ideal of an egalitarian society. Ehca case must be judged by individuals, who will set different standards as they veiw a situation. That is inherently unfair.
Why is it unfair? As with all things, if the decision is unfair, it can be taken to court and compared against the law. Would you rather have a blanket policy that assumes all people are alike and treats them as such?
Tell me, do all those who disagree with your view lack comprehension?
No, every once in a while, someone can do better than adolescent politicspeak. On those days, I'm very happy to examine relevant issues.
Are they all wrong, and you're right? I understand people. I don't have to like what I see though.
No, not all of them are wrong. But even I'm amazed at how frequently they are.

And it may well be that you do understand people. That's why I used the phrase intentional lack of understanding. You seem to be playing dumb. I don't understand why you have to drag a debate down to an absolutely adolescent level before you'll actually engage it. If you're born an idiot, that's not mine to forgive; it's a natural condition that I can't judge. If you choose to behave like an idiot, though, I'm going to take certain pleasure in pointing it out to you.

You don't have to like what you see, but neither are you required to re-define the terms of an argument before dealing with it. You ought to try dealing with what's put in front of you instead of intentionally-polarized examples. Life is rarely so clear as to give you an equal either/or proposition. Every once in a while it does, but it's rare.
Gotta be more careful there with hypocrisy, Tiassa.
Actually, Adam, what hypocrisy? I've long said that I'm willing to sink to other people's level if that's what it takes to communicate.

Seriously, if I just keep talking at my own level, people get insulted. If I speak to other people at the level they seem to prefer, people get insulted. Quit your whining. It's a lot easier if you would just go forth with some integrity.

If I actually had the legal obligations that an employer has, I do admit those phrases would be a little different. They would say things like, "Adam, why don't you take the afternoon off to cool down." And, eventually, "Adam, don't come in tomorrow." And, eventually, "Adam, you're fired." And it would have been settled.

In the meantime, they're all valid issues, and you've chosen to not respond to any of them except to whine like an adolescent.

This isn't "Teen Crossfire".

thanx,

Tiassa

And with that response you indicate your lack of understanding. Anyone can be shallow and short-sighted. They are just shallow and short-sighted in their own way. What, are you pissed at the idea of "Western" ideas?
Actually, your concept of certain ideas being specifically "Western" demonstrates a lack of experience. China, for example, demonstrated a culture rampant with greed, capitalism, and class polarisation three thousand years ago. Context may change from location to location, but the basic human drives are always the same.

Likewise, Western ideas are unique in their heritage compared to Oriental ideas. If you follow the history of ideas back, Western ideas originate with Judeo-Christianity. (That's part of why the radical Muslims draw the East/West distinction.) Judeo-Christian ideas operate differently from Oriental ideas.
I would say your religious upbringing colours your ideas far too much. "Western" ideas do not originate with Judeo-Christian culture/mythology. They originate in basic human nature. If you wish to talk origins, keep in mind that everything the christians have comes from other mythologies/cultures, such as the Akkadians (the world's first recorded empire), the Phoenicians, the pre-christian Romans, the Greeks, and so on. Personally I would place more of our cultural origins at the doorstep of those groups than at judeo-christian culture/mythology.

Why did you bother with the response you did? That the short-sighted, narrow consumerist focus is Western in its manifestation is still without your address, so thank you for validating my point.
Thank you you looking at an orange and calling it an apple, and saying it proves your point about apples. You made a point of saying something about the big bad evil West. I pointed out that such a view is, well, short-sighted and probably reliant upon your religious education and clear anti-establishment bent. The fact is, Xin Xou in Hunan province in China, who has never seen a Hollywood movie or tasted Coke, is just as greedy, selfish, and materialistic as Bob Colorado.

Too bad they represent circumstances foreign to the debates in which you make them. Even Americans, over here in our odd country, have gotten sick of the kind of polar fiction you're casting about the debate.
Such as the idea that polcie are evil and protestors never cause trouble?

Technically, it's a more scientific way of doing things than just presuming and persecuting.
Well, that's nice. But still doesn't change the fact that it is basically counter-productive. You can either:
1) Give everyone a set of rules and et to work. Or
2) Discuss everyone's individual requirements and problems, and try to work them into your company routine, then mediate while peope get upset because Bob Colorado gets more free time that Xin Xou, and eventually settle into some working pattern, while your competition goes for option one and drives you out of business...

Boy, you are reaching. Look, maybe they don't think of this in Australia, but in the US, they ask you if you can foresee anything that will get in the way of your performing of your duties. At this point, they want to hear about your childhood epilepsy or the vacation you've planned for the summer. They want a basic idea of what they're dealing with. If a Muslim says he needs to pray twice during the workday, and the company still hires him to a position that cannot afford that time, it seems it's the company's problem to deal with, and not one they can take out on the employee.
So the guy says "I have to walk around the block thrice a day", and the company doesn't hire him, as per your recommendation. The guy sues the company for discrimination, even though he's not suitable for the job.

That's ridiculous. In this country, we just throw them in prison anyway and the warden sends evangelical Christians after them. While I'm not a fan of that solution, either, I must ask if you're citing a real example?
Haven't found a webpage for it yet, but yes, this happened in Melbourne. No synagogue in prison, so the two con-men escaped their sentences.

If your example is what Australians think is common sense, I can understand why you're upset.
Our supposed legal system is very far from fair, very far from egalitarian. If you can attach yourself to whatever is being discussed in the news at the moment, you get out of jail. A few years ago a woman murdered her husband; the police had all the evidence, she was even found guilty. She was convicted of murder. However, she claimed she was suffering Battered Wife Syndrome, which was the new big thing on TV and in magazines at the time. There was absolutely no evidence to support her claims that her husband was a nasty, abusive guy. But it was a test case to bring in new laws specifically for that hot topic, so she was sentenced to only two weeks in prison.

Sounds absolutely fascinating. Sounds like an utter breakdown of simple and common sense.
This is what happens when you have reasons and excuses for every different person/situation, rather than one rule for everyone.

Personally, I think segregation is stupid, but I'm also aware that men in general have not been able to collect and conduct themselves with any reasonable dignity.
Unfortunately, yes.

Did the club in Melbourne actually violate a law in throwing someone out for being straight? What was the grounds of their suspicion of being straight? We need details, not just Adam's generalizations.
I believe our laws are against discrimination based on sexual prefernce, not just against anyone picking on homosexuals. Discrimination against heterosexuals should be covered as well. And yes, homosexuals have faced unfair discrimination in the past; does that make it right for them to discriminate against heterosexuals?

I just wonder why it's such a big deal when it's gays or Muslims or whatnot. I mean, you seem to have a hard time grasping the very simple ideological separation of Western and Eastern (I mean, whence comes "Middle Eastern"? It's a dumb phrase without the rest of the classifications.) It's easy enough to see the faults of the people you don't like, Adam. You ought to take a look at the faults of the people you do like.
Again, as stated many times, I advocate one rule for everyone, regardless of religion, gender, sexual preference, or shoe size. I grasp the concept of the difference between western and eastern ideals, I just think it's crap. It's a modern myth created by "westerners" who have an obsession with some romanticised notion of the Orient, some whacky idea that somehow Asians are more in tune with the spirit or some such crap. History does not support the notion.

Wow, that was a bad response, Adam. Why do you take reality so personally?
I don't take much personally at all. I just point out your mistakes. Such as your unsupported idea that I object to the general public protesting and such. While you often bring up such claims as support for ideas that I am very right-wing, they are in fact baseless.

Well, you seem very anxious to excuse police brutality. that's where I get it. You have this nasty, nasty habit of defending the erroneous and criminal actions of state agencies against the people to whom they are obliged.
I don't believe I excused police brutality at all. Again, you imagine things.

Nope. I'm speaking of a conflict of obligations. It's a very practical matter. Whether your reason is religious or otherwise, if you tell me that issues exist which cannot reasonably be accommodated, I should not hire you. Because if I do hire you and then refuse accommodation of those issues, I will be clearly in the wrong.
Fair enough. And if you don't hire me due to my personal activities, I may be able to take you to court for unfair discrimination.

Nope, it's an example of parents having rights. Any parent has them. That one chooses not to be a parent and bear children is their own choice. In the US, we have taken down various religious positions denying basic and acute medical care, but by and large parents do have some discretion. If the patient disagrees with the decision, though, they can protest. We had a case when I was in fifth grade where an 11 year-old won the right to die. If the patient expresses a will to live where the parent has decided otherwise, the patient's wish will be honored. If the patient cannot speak for itself, then the parents have the decision.
I ave a hard time seeing any fairness or "goodness" in the system you describe. A child can be left to rot and die because the parents say so? A small child may be guided so much by its parents' beliefs that he or she may think "Well, dad says I'm going to heaven, so I guess I'd better die". Superstition robbing a human of a full life. And that is allowed over there? Insane.

It also brings fear, frustration, and the whole gamut of emotions. I can just see the hobbyists fearing that their toy trains or ships in bottles, or their stamp collections will kill them while they sleep. That was almost funny, Adam. Your arguments do make a lot of sense, but only if I rearrange reality to accommodate your plethora of judgments against people who aren't you.
And yet it remains, by definition, a hobby. An activity/belief with no bearing on survival, which brings emotional stimulation. I can just see you typing in something as inane as "Then love is merely a hobby?" Well, in fact, such emotions are directly involved in survival. And yes, I do see most of the human race's daily activities as mere pointless passtimes, without meaning except in the context of our current society.

Why is it unfair? As with all things, if the decision is unfair, it can be taken to court and compared against the law. Would you rather have a blanket policy that assumes all people are alike and treats them as such?
1) I've given examples above of how and why such unequal treatment is unfair. Those court cases for example.
2) Yes, I would rather a system which treats all people as equal. That you don't want equality has been made quite clear on numerous occasions.

If you choose to behave like an idiot, though, I'm going to take certain pleasure in pointing it out to you.
To which I must point out yet again:
- "and I wonder why the hell you continue to argue points when you're that full of it."
- "I'm sure that if you had a substantive argument, you wouldn't be resorting to that kind of crap."
- "frankly I find the infantile nature of your arguments to be more than a little insulting."
- "I find your posts to be duplicitous at best, and calculated to offend at worst."
- "And while you're at it, why don't you kiss your government's ass a little harder. I don't think you got your tongue far enough in last time."
It does get tiring.

You ought to try dealing with what's put in front of you instead of intentionally-polarized examples.
Introducing extremes serves quite well in defining a problem.

In the meantime, they're all valid issues, and you've chosen to not respond to any of them except to whine like an adolescent.
Again, history does not support you:

Finally ran out of gas, eh?

Actually, your concept of certain ideas being specifically "Western" demonstrates a lack of experience. China, for example, demonstrated a culture rampant with greed, capitalism, and class polarisation three thousand years ago. Context may change from location to location, but the basic human drives are always the same.
Something about time goes in here, but I'm no longer confident in your ability to understand the idea of the present versus the past.
I would say your religious upbringing colours your ideas far too much. "Western" ideas do not originate with Judeo-Christian culture/mythology. They originate in basic human nature. If you wish to talk origins, keep in mind that everything the christians have comes from other mythologies/cultures, such as the Akkadians (the world's first recorded empire), the Phoenicians, the pre-christian Romans, the Greeks, and so on. Personally I would place more of our cultural origins at the doorstep of those groups than at judeo-christian culture/mythology.
That's like saying heavy metal originated with classical music. Or, better yet, pointing out that heavy metal originated with bone-flutes and banging rocks in caves. The coherent social mores comprising the "Western" label do contain elements of all those cultures, but the prevailing manifestation is Judeo-Christian.
Thank you you looking at an orange and calling it an apple, and saying it proves your point about apples. You made a point of saying something about the big bad evil West. I pointed out that such a view is, well, short-sighted and probably reliant upon your religious education and clear anti-establishment bent. The fact is, Xin Xou in Hunan province in China, who has never seen a Hollywood movie or tasted Coke, is just as greedy, selfish, and materialistic as Bob Colorado.
You're still demonstrating that you have no clue what you're actually talking about.

You're off on some tangent of your own. Not my problem.
Such as the idea that polcie are evil and protestors never cause trouble?
Just because it's what you want to believe is true doesn't make it relevant.
Well, that's nice. But still doesn't change the fact that it is basically counter-productive. You can either:
1) Give everyone a set of rules and et to work. Or
2) Discuss everyone's individual requirements and problems, and try to work them into your company routine, then mediate while peope get upset because Bob Colorado gets more free time that Xin Xou, and eventually settle into some working pattern, while your competition goes for option one and drives you out of business...
You forgot one. You can simply presume everyone thinks just like you and treat them accordingly and expect them to like it.

In the meantime, I noticed that you keep focusing on "free time". What about "time worked"?

Who gives a fuck if Xin Xou had an extra half-hour off? You're home, sucking down a beer and he's just leaving the office. If Bob Colorado is more worried about what Xin Xou is doing when he's not working than what he's doing when he is ... well, that's Bob Colorado's freaking problem.
So the guy says "I have to walk around the block thrice a day", and the company doesn't hire him, as per your recommendation. The guy sues the company for discrimination, even though he's not suitable for the job.
The problem with your wildly-constructed examples is that they wouldn't hold up in a courtroom. Why does the guy have to walk around the block thrice daily? Based on that, we can start applying the three points we agree on. However:

Medical: With doctor's recommendation, an American worker, for instance, would be entitled to this accommodation should it be considered reasonable. If the job cannot afford that extraneous interruption, some other arrangements have to be made, whether that's transferring the employee or otherwise. Worker safety is something that would be accounted for here. You try not to put people in jobs where their symptoms will endanger them or others.

Religious: According to what doctrine? Perhaps Australia has found some ways to deal, for instance, with conscientious objectors to war? In the US, they have to show cause for their objections, and while a good many odd philosophies worked, one had to be able to show proper cause. I can't just invent an idea and call it my religion until I've at least documented its nature so that it can be consistently applied or respected. Until then, it's merely arbitrary assertion.

You could try establishing the grounds for the lawsuit.
Haven't found a webpage for it yet, but yes, this happened in Melbourne. No synagogue in prison, so the two con-men escaped their sentences.
Fair enough. I refer here to my prior remarks regarding common sense.
Our supposed legal system is very far from fair, very far from egalitarian. If you can attach yourself to whatever is being discussed in the news at the moment, you get out of jail. A few years ago a woman murdered her husband; the police had all the evidence, she was even found guilty. She was convicted of murder. However, she claimed she was suffering Battered Wife Syndrome, which was the new big thing on TV and in magazines at the time. There was absolutely no evidence to support her claims that her husband was a nasty, abusive guy. But it was a test case to bring in new laws specifically for that hot topic, so she was sentenced to only two weeks in prison.
Yeah, it happens in the US, too. They executed Betty Lou Beets, though. The defense doesn't always work, even if it's true.
This is what happens when you have reasons and excuses for every different person/situation, rather than one rule for everyone.
I must disagree. One cannot presume everyone to be the same or to have the same needs. However, one cannot please everyone all the time; this is obvious. Hence, I point again to common sense.
I believe our laws are against discrimination based on sexual prefernce, not just against anyone picking on homosexuals. Discrimination against heterosexuals should be covered as well. And yes, homosexuals have faced unfair discrimination in the past; does that make it right for them to discriminate against heterosexuals?
Next question: did the heterosexual suspects violate club rules? I don't know about Australia, but that's how you get around certain things. Like the club in Portland I described. They couldn't kick you out just for being heterosexual, but they had rules that said you weren't supposed to show it. The courts looked around, saw similar conduct laws for various silly reasons, and agreed that's how it goes.

The thing is that when you get right down to what law is broken, you really do have to stop and consider the silly stuff.
Again, as stated many times, I advocate one rule for everyone, regardless of religion, gender, sexual preference, or shoe size. I grasp the concept of the difference between western and eastern ideals, I just think it's crap.
Well, that's insightful.
It's a modern myth created by "westerners" who have an obsession with some romanticised notion of the Orient, some whacky idea that somehow Asians are more in tune with the spirit or some such crap. History does not support the notion.
Quick: What's 2+2?

Okay, how about 3+1?

And 12/3?

How about 1x4?

They all have the same result.

Are they the same thing?

Driving south on I-5, I can take the Salem exit that leads to I-205 or stay on I-5 to Portland, hop I-405, and then re-join I-5 to continue on to Salem. (Incidentally, I-205 also re-joins I-5).

They both lead me to Salem.

Are they the same route?
Such as your unsupported idea that I object to the general public protesting and such. While you often bring up such claims as support for ideas that I am very right-wing, they are in fact baseless.
Why, then, do you always argue those positions?

Why do you so dislike protesters? Why do you so adamantly advocate police? Why do you presume everyone to be the same? Or, more specifically, why do you require it?
I don't believe I excused police brutality at all. Again, you imagine things.
You don't remember the bit where we discussed Australian farmers and horses? Did the bit from the protests topic about the brutality indictments against Italian police miss you?

Integrity, Adam. Try it sometime.
Fair enough. And if you don't hire me due to my personal activities, I may be able to take you to court for unfair discrimination.
And if it can be shown that accommodation of those needs proved unreasonable--such as according to any of the points we agreed on earlier, for starters--then your unemployed ass will owe me legal fees.
I ave a hard time seeing any fairness or "goodness" in the system you describe. A child can be left to rot and die because the parents say so?
It's come a long way during my lifetime. But it's also one of the realities that undermines the anti-abortion crowd. The parent doesn't have the right to make that decision "for the child", say the anti-abortionists, yet parents are entitled to make equally-damaging decisions at other times in the parenting process. More and more now, states are choosing to prosecute parents who sacrifice their sick children to faith, but it's not the easiest case to prosecute.
A small child may be guided so much by its parents' beliefs that he or she may think "Well, dad says I'm going to heaven, so I guess I'd better die".
I find it horrific, but I am also compelled to point out that by the standards the Sciforums community discusses on a regular basis, this isn't particularly tragic. Rather, it's a tragic result of a process otherwise recognized as legitimate. It comes when we talk about what we teach children, but such are the power of ill-conceived ideas. Such is why integrity is so important.
Superstition robbing a human of a full life. And that is allowed over there? Insane.
Perhaps the example to which you refer is insane, but superstition robbing a human of any life is quite common among all people.
And yet it remains, by definition, a hobby. An activity/belief with no bearing on survival, which brings emotional stimulation.
Well? What are you going to do about it?
I can just see you typing in something as inane as "Then love is merely a hobby?" Well, in fact, such emotions are directly involved in survival.
No, love is a superstition. It is a psychological representation of a living necessity. A mere mask, a mere veil.
And yes, I do see most of the human race's daily activities as mere pointless passtimes, without meaning except in the context of our current society.
The context of our current society? This from one who wants to redefine religion as a hobby--a definition notably outside the context of our current society? You were better off arguing the evolutionary necessity of love.
1) I've given examples above of how and why such unequal treatment is unfair. Those court cases for example.
2) Yes, I would rather a system which treats all people as equal. That you don't want equality has been made quite clear on numerous occasions.
(1) Such relevant and scalable examples, too ....

(2) There is a different between being equal and being the same. I'm surprised that you don't know that. Wait, it is better to say that I'm not surprised that you've forgotten it. To be equal is to be endowed with equal opportunity and protection. But people are not all the same. In order to be equal, people are left free to be themselves inasmuch as is reasonable. That you would prefer a homogenous species proves an anemic basis upon which to build any argument.
quote:

If you choose to behave like an idiot, though, I'm going to take certain pleasure in pointing it out to you.

To which I must point out yet again:
To which I must again remind you that it's rather hard to fault me for being honest.

I confess, I do get a certain pleasure out of seeing you trip all over yourself. Really, if you would just put a little more genuine an effort into it, you might have some brilliant things to say.
It does get tiring.
Then stop handing out the opportunities like free passes to a porno festival.
Introducing extremes serves quite well in defining a problem.
One must also justify the extremes. It's why fantastic balderdash doesn't work as well.
Again, history does not support you:
Funny. I would think that the opportunity would have been for you to quote your own words to show how history does not support me.

Oh, well.

Did you have anything to add to the topic itself, Adam? At present, I consider my business here done.

thanx,

Back