Religion is evil.

GRO$$

Registered Senior Member
God is evil.

Organized religion is a form of controlling people. There is nothing good a church does that cannot be done without the 'God' part of the equation. What God does add to a religion is the tendency for the risk of radical zealots that misunderstand the love of their God as the fear and hate of all dissenters. Belief in God too easily leads to chauvinistic and violent ideas. God is antiquated and there is absolutely no need to worship him.

EDIT (2004-07-12 03:50 PM):
I'd like to keep this as a debate of God specifically, not religion, as the latter is a very vague concept (as pointed out by several people now).

EDIT (2004-07-21 11:28 AM):
I just now realized how hypocritical the last comment was under this title. Why didn't anyone point this out? heh, sorry, changed it (from "Religion is evil." to "God is evil.")

Last edited:
I completely agree, which is why I left my faith while attending a Christian High School. While I was there i saw what all of these zealots were actually believing and saying, so I turned my back on it because of the hypocracy and the sheer hatred in them. It really is scary stuff.

Mmh, I think Christianity is not that bad, but some of the followers...well, they lack some integrity I think...

Dreamwalker said:
Mmh, I think Christianity is not that bad, but some of the followers...well, they lack some integrity I think...

I've seen a bumper sticker that says something along the lines of, "Jesus, I pray for you to save me from your followers."

There is nothing good a church does that cannot be done without the 'God' part of the equation

I disagree. Religion and churches can compel people to virtuous behavior when clear and undeniable and overwhelming logic and reason somehow don't suffice.

However, as I don't believe the human endeavor should be guided by fear ... religions look like cancer to me.

We must also remember that the primary difference between most religions and non-religious causes, philosophies, sects, parties, and so forth, is what the movement seeks to assert. Religious assertions often involve and even rely on tantalizing promises of paradise and frightening visions of punishment. This can f@ck someone's psyche up a little more than whether or not Bush's tax cut should be permanent.

But aside from that issue of scale, which can to a reasonable degree be argued to be an irrelevant difference, there's not much difference between a political party and a church. Heck, when you get down among hardcore fans, there's not much of a difference between church and baseball. (The "Church of Baseball" is a rhetorical assertion that pops its head up when appropriate. Our half-billion dollar stadia are the new houses of the holy, but even that is a superficial reducton of the rhetoric into a sound-bite.)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Has that aphorism gone out of style these days, or has it come to life in America?

Religions are human institutions, and built on human values and interpretations. If "religion" is inherently evil, so are humans.

No god, No heaven, No hell - but those buddist monks had to take additional charge of protecting dharma (righteous way) with force & had to double as warriors whenever the ruling class bulldozes the mass. Humanity needs exclusive saviour(s) for the order.

Yo Tiassa,

QuoteTiassa:
"Religions are human institutions, and built on human values and interpretations. If "religion" is inherently evil, so are humans."

Hmmm... Finally the "stuff" that when scrutinised closely, seems to be at the crux of the matter. Are humans inherently evil? The god of the OT seems to possess all the darker traits that I would describe as typically "human" So, in order of appearance, which is it to be? The chicken or the egg? Yet I have experienced and witnessed such profound love and empathy amongst humans that I struggle with the word “inherent” What is painfully apparent, is that man does not “inherently” learn from history and repeatedly creates chaos pain and suffering as a matter of course.

Allcare.

GRO$$ said:
Organized religion is a form of controlling people.

Is a well-adjusted family a form of controlling people? Religions are founded with no sinister designs. Religions set out to be the Institutionalization of the Family of Humanity -- to encourage love and charity, and to discourage predatory behavior in the barbarians it wishes to convert.

Yes, until the Barbarians are converted they DO think Religion is some horrible imposition of 'control'. Vikings hate people telling them they can no longer rape and pillage. Modern Secularists hate people telling them they can no longer rape and pillage.

And some people hate their families.

Anything that manages to convince billions of people that death is somehow a magical gateway to a perfect and eternal paradise instead of the final ugliness of permanent non existence, has to be the greatest evil imaginable and something that I am sure if the devil were to exist would be extremely proud.

Religions are a major and serious distraction that discourages people from becoming scientists and looking for ways to solve the real outstanding problems of involuntary death. Religions encourage complacency and belief that death is inevitable and that we can’t do anything about it and besides we’ll all be much happier when we are dead, right! Argghh!

Wake up people – science is finally at the stage where we can make real and substantial progress into true unlimited life extension, but the number of scientists in the world is tiny as a percentage of world population. Too many people are too complacent about death and hope that something good will result when they die, and that appalling attitude is entirely due to the damaging influence of religion.

Kat

Enigma,

Death is nothing to fear.
The true words of somone with no survival instinct. Or someone who has been deluded by the baseless promises of religion.

It is because everyone has such a deep rooted fear of death that enables the lies of religion to have such a dramatic effect. You might not have any fear of death because you have been indoctrinated into believing it is merely a gateway to something better.

Kat

'Nothing in this world is to be feared... only understood.'
-Manya Sklowdovska

I think death is part of our world, it happens every day.

Enigma,

'Nothing in this world is to be feared... only understood.'
-Manya Sklowdovska
And if you are dead then you will be incapable of understanding anything.

I think death is part of our world, it happens every day.
And, what, that makes it a good thing? That is a big part of the defeatist complacency I was referring to.

Kat

And if you are dead then you will be incapable of understanding anything.

Ahhh, but this is only an assumption.

And, what, that makes it a good thing?

I don't remember stating that it was a good thing, just that it wasn't something to fear.

Surprisingly I agree with Enigma; death is nothing to be feared.

I have a strong survival instict, and I surely don´t die easily, but still I do not fear death. Why should I? It is something natural, hence I cannot escape it and I cannot label it good or evil since those categories only apply to human doings and not for nature.
And no, I am not religious and seriously I do not care if I exist in some form after death or if my existence just stops. I have to die anyway, there is no escaping it so why should I be afraid? Because it is unknown? Every new day is unknown, so what´s the point?

Back