Religion held to higher standard than Math

Turduckin,

Your point might have value if you can show that the natural number domain would be invalidated by the existence of other domains. Otherwise the proof holds within the defined domain.

Perhaps the real issue here is not the proof but the lack of understanding of the question.

ZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Originally posted by Turduckin
first post
Hahahahaha, I definitely got a laugh out of that one. Hee hee . . . :D
Originally posted by Turduckin
And maybe while I'm at it . . . isn't even a rigorous, formal system?
As to the actual point behind the thread: the difference between mathematics and religion is that mathematics is an empirical, synthetic construct that we built from the ground up, whereas religion is a dead weight we discovered already attached to us. We have no reason other than tradition to keep it. Also, whereas the "problems" in mathematics are counter to common sense, the problems in religion are actual contradictions. There are almost none of these in mathematics (except for things like Russell's Paradox). Even though mathematics contradicts itself, it is, as you said, still useful. However, what good is a religion that has mixed presentations regarding the nature of God, or how to get into Heaven? Not as much. The questions there require more certainty than what we have.

Keep in mind, I'm not making specific accusations against a particular religion: I'm not a biblical scholar, nor a Quran scholar, etc., so I can't really place everything in context as well as some. But I think that the above paragraph is a better way to look at the two systems you compare.

Cris:

You know how you feel when you are playing chess and you get a little over confident. I do that a lot. Then I make a silly mistake and all of a sudden I am sitting in check with allmost no way out. Your proof is good. I was thinking, more like Turduckin said, about the real world.

So anyway now I have to study your proof. deep down in my soul I know that you have to start any proof with difinitions and givens. There must be somthing that is just taken for granted. What could it be?

. . .

Originally posted by MShark
I know that you have to start any proof with difinitions and givens. There must be somthing that is just taken for granted. What could it be?
. . . givens . . . givens are taken for granted . . . .

Zaaazaa

P1. 1 is in N.
P2. If x is in N, then its "successor" x' is in N.
P3. There is no x such that x' = 1.
P4. If x isn't 1, then there is a y in N such that y' = x.
P5. If S is a subset of N, 1 is in S, and the implication (x in S => x' in S) holds, then S = N.

These are the postulates: that means that they are taken without question. That's the nature of mathematical proofs: they only work if you accept the givens.

LaoTzu:

Thanks for the help. When you take somthing for granted is that different than having faith or believing in somthing?

By the way I don't think that I would say religion is useless. Wasn't it Lennin that great Athiest scientest who proclaimed that "religion is the opiate of the masses"? My sources tell me that opium can be quite expensive. That would make religion of some value. I kind of think of religion as "The Anti Drug".

Religion may be useless for you but I get entertainment, companionship, and peace of mind from my religion. Aren't those useful things to have?

Cris:

With LaoTzu's help I guess that we have shown that your proof is based on certain beliefs and faith. That is hardly proving somthing is it? I mean if those bible thumpers get a hold of this they are going to have a field day.

Don't get me wrong I like logic and math (well maybe not math so much) as the next guy and I appreciate all of the things that this world has because of mathematics.

Hey! My son got to ski with the big boys today! He is only in 8th grade but he is skiing on the varsity downhill ski team. He had two great runs and I think the boys are going to take 2nd in the conference. Nothing beats being a Dad.

Mshark,

The proof is not new of course.

The beauty of mathematics is that it operates within a strictly defined set of rules. But the rules are so elegant that it has been suggested that if we ever meet another intelligent but alien species it is highly likely that the first form of communication will be mathematics.

Now contrast this with religion. There have been and are hundreds of religions and mystical superstitions, and all are variations on the same theme of assigning a claim to unexplained phenomena. Whereas math has extremely strict rules, religion has none. Religion is only limited by human imagination.

Zero:

Great name for this thread. Did you know that zero is a relatively new mathematical concept.

I am kind of a thrill seeker so yes I did enjoy having the rug pulled out from under me. Do you think I landed on my feet or on my behind?

Mshark,

With LaoTzu's help I guess that we have shown that your proof is based on certain beliefs and faith. That is hardly proving somthing is it?
LOL. Not even close. The proof operates within the rules. Your question used the same rules, i.e. you made assumptions about the meanings of 1, and +, and 2.

As I said earlier, You didn't really understand the question that you asked. That's fine, and I wouldn't hold you to trying to prove a god exists because of a mistake.

turduckin,

Religion is not a rigorous, systematic method of thought. It is a collection of stories written to teach something about a complex, chaotic system - human behavior.
If that was all that religion represented then why choose such an approach as opposed to say psychology that is a rigorous systematic method of thought designed specifically to understand human behavior.

Why choose an undisciplined system rather than a disciplined system?

So no that isn't the basis or a credible justification of religion. While some of the more esoteric aspects of mathematics are questionable they are but a tiny fraction of a system that has proved itself of vast extraordinary and undisputed value. Religion, on the other hand, specifically the basis of religion, has yet to show that it even exists, let alone be of real value.

However, many aspects of religions, primarily moral concepts and guidelines for practical living, have indeed helped to create civilized cultures. However, I always wonder how much better life would be if such cultures had been based on rational decisions rather than imaginative fantasies. But if we assume that these practical aspects of religion are indeed rational then we can equally argue then that we could have achieved the same results without the spiritual and supernatural components.

Yes it has contradictions - but we can accept within limits contradictions and incompleteness in formal rational systems. How can we use those same arguments to dismiss something that isn't even a rigorous, formal system?
The answer here as I've explained above is that the contradictions in math are rare whereas in religion they are widespread and fundamental.

Cris:

I think we had a little misunderstanding. I thought you were responding to my call for a mathematical proof but you were responding to "New Life" and their question about 1+1 =2. I am sorry for the confusion. Personaly I don't belive in "1" or in "=".

We may have had a little misunderstanding but please don't assume that I don't understand.

If you think math is so elegant remember that statistics is a part of math.

The only way math works is if you accept that there ARE Natural Numbers and that the basic number we are taught as children do exist....

Religion only works if you accept that a supernatural being DOES exist....

not that different

is this relevant? if it is what does it mean, any philosophical implications?

One is tempted to add that the "truth" of arithmetic's axioms is a
consequence of their consistency. But seriously, labelling a set of
axioms as "true" doesn't constitute a rigorous formal proof of their
consistency. For example, Frege and others regarded the axioms of
naive set theory as manifestly true, even more so than the axioms of
arithmetic! But they were wrong.

In response to my suggestion that EVERY formal system, if pressed
far enough, would be fond to be inconsistent, and that nothing
guarantees us the existence of a consistent formal system with
enough complexity to encompass arithmetic, Franzen replies

"This is like a suggestion that 0 and 1 might turn out to be
identical if we look hard enough."

However, it's worth noting that when it was realized the axioms of
naive set theory were flawed and led to contradictions, we did not
conclude (as we were strictly entitled to do) that 0 and 1 were
identical. Rather we concluded that the axioms of set theory were
flawed and needed to be modified. Some proofs, and even some
theorems, were rendered invalid in the new system, but happily we
were able to preserve the distinctness of 0 and 1.

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath372.htm

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mathematics-inconsistent/

Mshark,

Hey no problem.

If you think math is so elegant remember that statistics is a part of math.
Most tools work well if they are used correctly and where appropriate. The common misuse of statistics does not detract from the value of the math of statsitcs but on the choice of how it is used or applied.

New Life,

The only way math works is if you accept that there ARE Natural Numbers and that the basic number we are taught as children do exist....

Religion only works if you accept that a supernatural being DOES exist....

not that different
You are far more correct than you probably realize but not for the reasons you suspect.

Numbers of course do not exist. Can you point to something and say that is a number? Numbers are just concepts that allow us to think in a particular way. For example the number zero is a useful concept, but in the Roman number system there is no such concept and such a system of mathematics was correspondingly unnecessarily unwieldy.

Religion of course, as you quite rightly say, also works because of the belief in a concept that something supernatural exists. It clearly doesn't matter whether such a thing exists or not for religion to operate.

Now of course we could debate what is meant by 'works'. Math, for the most part demonstrably 'works' extremely well.

But what does it mean to say that religion 'works'? Perhaps that it twists the minds of millions of people into believing that something exists, that doesn't, in the same way that you are confused in thinking that numbers exist. In this respect religion also 'works' extremely well.

Originally posted by Cris
If that was all that religion represented then why choose such an approach as opposed to say psychology that is a rigorous systematic method of thought designed specifically to understand human behavior. Why choose an undisciplined system rather than a disciplined system?

Cris;
You’ve set up a false dilemma. Mathematics is a mostly rigorous and disciplined system. Psychology is moderately rigorous and disciplined compared with Mathematics. Religion is minimally rigorous and disciplined compared with Mathematics. The degree of discipline is necessitated (in general) by the accessibility of the related subject. Accessibility is defined by 1) the degree to which definitions regarding the subject are generally accepted. 2) The degree to which the subject can be directly (or indirectly) examined. 3) The reducibility of the whole subject into examinable parts. 4) complexity of the totality of the subject being examined. For each subject being examined, one chooses the most rigorous and disciplined system that will yield useful results.

Math is mostly rigorous
In Mathematics, the definitions are generally accepted in full and the elements being examined are directly accessible because they are already concepts and not abstractions of physical entities which first must be converted into concepts. By nature, the fundamental concepts of mathematics already exist as fully reduced and can be examined in their interactions.

Psychology is less rigorous than math
In psychology, arguments over definitions lead to different schools of thought and areas of research. Psychology started as a purely behavioral science, since the structure and function of the brain were largely inaccessible at the time (notwithstanding Phineas p. Gage, Xev). Modern psychology is much more rigorous and disciplined because of vastly greater knowledge of brain structure and function. But complete reducibility is impossible since the system being examined is self-referential: it is after all, the mind examining itself.

Religion is less rigorous than psychology
Religion, or more exactly religious truth (as opposed to theology, the rational study of religious truth) has by definition the most complex subject (god or nature of being), is largely irreducible and so is unyielding to conceptualization, and on the whole devoid of common definition because of its subjective nature. It must be treated more like archeology or history than mathematics, and that is precisely the point of my original post. Rationalists insist on applying too rigorous a standard, while adherents and believers fail to apply any rigorous and disciplined standard at all.

Given the above argument, I will reformulate your question as follows:

Why choose a less formalized system rather than a more formalized system?
Because things such as gut feeling, intuition, psi, spiritual existence, God et al cannot be studied by anything as formal as the scientific method. Science has nothing to say one way or the other about them. As Raithere eluded to, the situation is completely reflexive – you may sound like a half-wit to me for dismissing things that are subjectively real to me, and I may sound like an irrational maniac for believing things that can’t possible exist or be proven to exist to you. But these things have subjective reality to me, not because I read about them in a book and took them as fact. They are real to me because first I had the subjective experience which lacked a rational explanation, and then I discovered the most formalized system that gave the current best explanation for dealing with the phenomena – religion (more precisely, religious truth or spirituality. In truth, I am not a fan of religion in the way it is being practiced. But for the sake of this thread, the term ‘religion’ will do.)

You have chosen the path of extreme rationalism, thereby IMHO limiting the areas of human experience that you can investigate. You resort to loaded words and phrases such as “undisciplined or “imaginative fantasies” to dismiss an entire field of human experience, simply because [again my IMHO] you lack the tools and/or flexibility of mind to study it. In that respect you are making the same error as the religious fanatics – you’re simply unbalanced in the other direction. As Mr. Miyagi say: If whole life have balance, everything will be better

(edited slightly in an attempt not to be too offensive to Cris)

Last edited:
Cris,

thanx for explaining the idea for me! i didnt know exactly how to word it! you explained it perfectly!

Back