Religion and Government: Should Christians Leave Their Religion Behind in Government?

fat_frank

Registered Member
If you are religious or have a certain philosophy and it includes trying to get people to follow your own religion or philosophy because they are right and beneficial and says that others ultimately are desctructive and lead to rebellion (including against government), aren't you being a hypocrite and a liar if you go into government and then put that aside, as if all you cared about was money and making people happy even if it was to their own hurt? For example this Christian here claims that if a Christian is in the government, specifically a ruling position, that he should try to enforce the laws of the Bible over the ones he (or she) is ruling (which is what the "Founding Fathers" of America did strongly, but partially, allowing for people to have their own religion, but punishing them if they broke the U.S. Constitution. The F.F.'s tried to make the Constitution conform to 8 of 10 commandments but leaving room for people to have their own style of religion other than that, leaving out, ironically, two of four of the highest laws in the Bible: don't blashpeming using God's name and don't make or worshiping idols (which I'd bet some Christians would argue is why America is divided spiritually, filled with crime, in the most debt any country has ever been in the world, way more). So, should a person be true to their own heart, and mind, or try and be true to the hearts and minds of whoever they are ruling, and obviously since they can't meet everyone's wish, simply go with what the majority wants, even if it's to their own destruction?

If you are religious or have a certain philosophy and it includes trying to get people to follow your own religion or philosophy because they are right and beneficial and says that others ultimately are desctructive and lead to rebellion (including against government), aren't you being a hypocrite and a liar if you go into government and then put that aside, as if all you cared about was money and making people happy even if it was to their own hurt? For example this Christian here claims that if a Christian is in the government, specifically a ruling position, that he should try to enforce the laws of the Bible over the ones he (or she) is ruling (which is what the "Founding Fathers" of America did strongly, but partially, allowing for people to have their own religion, but punishing them if they broke the U.S. Constitution. The F.F.'s tried to make the Constitution conform to 8 of 10 commandments but leaving room for people to have their own style of religion other than that, leaving out, ironically, two of four of the highest laws in the Bible: don't blashpeming using God's name and don't make or worshiping idols (which I'd bet some Christians would argue is why America is divided spiritually, filled with crime, in the most debt any country has ever been in the world, way more). So, should a person be true to their own heart, and mind, or try and be true to the hearts and minds of whoever they are ruling, and obviously since they can't meet everyone's wish, simply go with what the majority wants, even if it's to their own destruction?

I think its the nature of becoming a top notch politician that one gets to that position on the merit of their ideology.

IOW the notion of being ideologically neutral and a political player are two terms that simply don't gel.

I think government should practice freedom of religion as well as the people. Welcome to sci frank.

I wouldn't of thought any real christians exist in the american gov, or uk gov.

The religion they obsess with is voodoo, they hate christian beliefs.

So i doubt anyone truly a christian would get anywhere. Look at george w bush, part of skull and bones, voodoo society.
To them christianity is just a mask they wear for the public.

I just think if your truly christian, and i doubt any christian church in america really is about christianity, then i would think you would not be in the position of power anyway.

I wouldn't of thought any real christians exist in the american gov, or uk gov.

The religion they obsess with is voodoo, they hate christian beliefs.

So i doubt anyone truly a christian would get anywhere. Look at george w bush, part of skull and bones, voodoo society.
To them christianity is just a mask they wear for the public.

I just think if your truly christian, and i doubt any christian church in america really is about christianity, then i would think you would not be in the position of power anyway.

What do you mean by truly christian ? There are many of us who make an effort, so we fail, yes, but we get up and try again. As far to bear arms I definitively believe not to bear arms , a weapons purpose is only to kill. and I believe I don't have the right to take somebody's life away . There are many of us who believe in following the 10 commandments.

The Christian religion teaches love and fellowship. I suppose if they left that behind they could be better at partisan politics, which seems to be the rage these days. The churches have always done charity work and encourages its members to help others. I suppose if you leave that behind you can run up debt easier and encourage others to be takers instead of givers.

The Christian religion teaches love and fellowship.

I've read the bible, I was raised in a church, and I've studied Christianity in-depth for over a decade. I'm not sure what beliefs you subscribe to, but fact is that in the Bible, verses of condemnation outweigh verses of love and compassion by nearly 4 to 1. This is not an exaggeration.

I've read the bible, I was raised in a church, and I've studied Christianity in-depth for over a decade. I'm not sure what beliefs you subscribe to, but fact is that in the Bible, verses of condemnation outweigh verses of love and compassion by nearly 4 to 1. This is not an exaggeration.

It seams that you have studied to find faults . Please tell me what faults have you found in Matthiew chapter 5 , 6 ,7. that will harm humanity

It seams that you have studied to find faults . Please tell me what faults have you found in Matthiew chapter 5 , 6 ,7. that will harm humanity

Wrong. I studied to gain knowledge, regardless of content. And objectivity doesn't work that way. You don't just pick a few verses and insinuate its message is representative of the entirety of the bible. Your attempt is completely aside from my point.

Ideally, politicians would govern based on accepted secular morals and mores, since our current ones are superior to those of the Abrahamic religions in literally every way.

Belief, its not going to get a definition, thats simple.

Feel it.

I'm sure in general faith is present for the universe.

Where state and church are constitutionally separate spheres, if your religious beliefs oppose the secular law, you have no business going into politics in the first place.
Choose before the question of loyalties comes up in public debate. If you have entered politics, knowing that a conflict of principles existed, you have betrayed both your faith and your constituents; therefore, you should be both impeached and excommunicated.

Last edited:

Heeding Matthew 6:6 would probably help everyone a lot. Isn't going to happen though. It's hard to spread a religion if you have to be silent about it.

Where state and church are constitutionally separate spheres, if your religious beliefs oppose the secular law, you have no business going into politics in the first place.
Choose before the question of loyalties comes up in public debate. If you have entered politics, knowing that a conflict of principles existed, you have betrayed both your faith and your constituents; therefore, you should be both impeached and excommunicated.

It should work both ways at the same time if some thing conflicts can I not abstain , I don't thing things have to be so clear cut into your favor .

Heeding Matthew 6:6 would probably help everyone a lot. Isn't going to happen though. It's hard to spread a religion if you have to be silent about it.

There are many charitable people who do good things to people they don't get on a sand box and they don't go from door to door, they have be a light to me.

There are many charitable people who do good things to people they don't get on a sand box and they don't go from door to door, they have be a light to me.

You're absolutely correct.

And a lot of them aren't religious either.

arauca:
It should work both ways at the same time if some thing conflicts can I not abstain , I don't thing things have to be so clear cut into your favor .

What things are in my favour? Your country has a constitution. You have a government that is supposed to be elected and to function according to that constitution. You can abstain all you want from both politics and religion. Work out your own church-state conflicts. It has nothing at all to do with me.

Back