Reasons Oregon gives to vote "yes" on 36 inside . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
RubiksMaster said:
I have NOTHING agains gay people. They are just the same as anyone else, exept for their sexuality. But who cares about someone else's sexuality?

An inordinately large number of people, apparently, yourself included. If no one cared then we wouldn't be having this argument.

RubiksMaster said:
The only thing with which I have a problem, is the changing of an age-old tradition that would bring about deleterious effects on society.

Prostitution? Ohhh, no, you mean Marriage? Tell me, how would allowing homosexual marriage have "a deleterious effect" on society? Is it harmful in itself, or do you see it as a means to some sort of detrimental end? This warrants a bit more explanation, I believe. Showing how same-sex marriage would affect any heterosexual couple is a bit of an up-hill battle, really.

RubiksMaster said:
The public. They voted. The fact is, we can't sacrifice the happiness of many (the pro-measure 36 people) for the happiness of a few (the anti-measure 36 prople).

You speak of this issue as if both sides involved had equal stakes. . . or that both sides even had stakes at all! This is about more than just "Happiness" we're talking about real consequential legal rights and considerations VS. a general queasiness in the stomachs of rednecks psycho fundamentalists and Midwesterners. Which one of those things is our government actually responsible for dealing with?

That's just not true. I am sorry for all the liberal, "multi-culti", heterophobic people who think this way.

RubiksMaster said:
Actually, nobody has that right, per se.

The right to marry who they love? You should read over our constitution again, I very much doubt that there is a court in the land which would disagree that that falls under live liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Somehow I think your own opinion of the matter if your own rights were being challenged, and your new values dictated to you by an oppressive regime of mental deficients with a grudge.

RubiksMaster said:
I have an idea. Why don't a gay person marry another gay (sorry, homosexual) person and then live with the person they actually love. No law establishes the necessity for married couples to actually live together.

Because life is not a sitcom.

Also, if you actually understood the legal implications which go along with marriage you'd know that something like that would not work toward any desired effect. If I were to marry some dyke, it wouldn't help me visit my real loved-one in the hospital or share an estate with him.

Athelwulf and alain,

HS...? Yes, I'm lazy, but I also wanted to see if someone would make an issue of it. Some of the older posters here know that I can be much more aggressive with my choice of words.

Anyway, 36 passed. What now, fellas? It seems that the natives have rejected your lifestyle as an alternative worth communal recognition.

HS...? Yes, I'm lazy, but I also wanted to see if someone would make an issue of it.

Well, we did.

It seems that the natives have rejected your lifestyle as an alternative worth communal recognition.

My lifestyle? I hope ya realize I'm not gay.

And what do ya mean by "the natives"? :rolleyes:

Bowser said:
Anyway, 36 passed. What now, fellas? It seems that the natives have rejected your lifestyle as an alternative worth communal recognition.

Maybe have a mass awakening that we live in a democratic republic where a minority is supposed to be safe from the tyranny of the majority through the principals of equal protection under the law and due process?

Don't be so quick to revel in your achievement of mob-rule, one day the pendulum of public opinion could swing the other way and the precedent of using the law to codify your petty hatreds could suddenly come back to bite you in the ass. I just hope you're ok with the idea of taking communion in secret in your priest’s basement. You're continuing a very dangerous precdent here.

Athelwulf said:
And what do ya mean by "the natives"? :rolleyes:

I'm sure he means to imply some greater separation and division between homosexuals and heterosexuals. A lot of people like to ignore the fact that we live and work right along side eachother, that we're all raised in the same culture and that despite negative attitudes on behalf of some we are still the same people.

But if we are to try to create this divorce of cultural association and take our stuff and leave then the queers get the computers. We had Alan Turing, father of modern computing, so get off my internet you durn hets! haha.

. . . The queers get the computers . . . so get off my internet you durn hets!

Will ya still let me use it . . . Since I've been so kind . . . Pleeeaasssssee?

Athelwulf said:
Will ya still let me use it . . . Since I've been so kind . . . Pleeeaasssssee?

Hmmm we'll see about it, but you've gotta' pledge your allegiance to the rainbow flag or something adequately gay like that first. Be sure to give a limp wrested solute!

<i>'And what do ya mean by "the natives"?'</i>

I suppose <b>Oregonians</b> would have been better. I was thinking <i>the local community</i>. :D

<i>"Maybe have a mass awakening that we live in a democratic republic where a minority is supposed to be safe from the tyranny of the majority through the principals of equal protection under the law and due process?"</i>

Hmm...tyranny? They have defined marriage as being a union between a man and a woman. I have yet to see floggings or backwood linchings here in Oregon.

Equal protection under the law and due process? The law has been defined. The question was asked if WE accept community recognition of like gender unions. The answer was "No." Even HS were allowed to vote on this one. There is no practical reason for Hs unions other than to change public perception and public values.

<i>"Don't be so quick to revel in your achievement of mob-rule, one day the pendulum of public opinion could swing the other way and the precedent of using the law to codify your petty hatreds could suddenly come back to bite you in the ass."</i>

My achievement...I had nothing to do with it. I live in Portland, man. This city is so queer it would make most Hp's blush. Also, you're being quite liberal in defining my opinion as being hatred. Typical.

<i>"I just hope you're ok with the idea of taking communion in secret in your priest’s basement."</i>

Hatred of religion and established community values is what I am seeing here. So, threats of retribution and fear are the new tools for the Hs revolution. Can I coin a new phrase? <i>Gay Terrorism.</i> That's the next step, right?

<i>"You're continuing a very dangerous precdent here."</i>

I am simply adding another voice to the issue. :rolleyes:

<i>"Hmmm we'll see about it, but you've gotta' pledge your allegiance to the rainbow flag or something adequately gay like that first. Be sure to give a limp wrested solute!"</i>

Could be worse...

Bowser said:
Hmm...tyranny? They have defined marriage as being a union between a man and a woman. I have yet to see floggings or backwood linchings here in Oregon.

Gay bashing still exists, though striping us of our rights is quite enough, thank you.

Bowser said:
Equal protection under the law and due process? The law has been defined.

Yes, and in an intentionally discriminatory manner.

Bowser said:
The question was asked if WE accept community recognition of like gender unions. The answer was "No."

And as even the Supreme Court seems to be asking lately, what exactly even gives you license to think your opinion on the issue should matter? It simply doesn't involve you, but because you're such hateful people who just can't leave it alone you've got to get involved and muck things up for good people who are just trying to fucking live their lives without being bothered. But no, that's just too much to ask, apparently.

Bowser said:
Even HS were allowed to vote on this one. There is no practical reason for Hs unions other than to change public perception and public values.

Correction, you in your petty and spiteful short-sightedness see no reason to vote against it other than to try to make a statement about public values. For homosexuals the effects are real and consequential. Try telling a man who can't see his spouse in the hospital that it's nothing but public opinion; Tell it to a couple who is unable to adopt a child; tell it to a person in grief over the death of their significant other who's loosing half of his possessions to the family of his deceased partner which disowned him in life.

It’s easy for you to turn a blind eye and ignore these things, but millions of people have to wake up each day and live in this world that doesn’t want them and imposes arbitrary restrictions and hindrances in their way because of petty intolerance. Just like anyone else we’re doing what we can to get by, and it doesn’t help to constantly be shat on in the name of someone else’s inflated sense of moral superiority.

Bowser said:
My achievement...I had nothing to do with it. I live in Portland, man. This city is so queer it would make most Hp's blush. Also, you're being quite liberal in defining my opinion as being hatred. Typical.

You still voted on it, and you've certainly made no secret of which way you went. In any case your direct involvement is inconsequential next to the fact that at least for this argument you are clearly supporting the measure.

Bowser said:
Hatred of religion and established community values is what I am seeing here. So, threats of retribution and fear are the new tools for the Hs revolution. Can I coin a new phrase? <i>Gay Terrorism.</i> That's the next step, right?

Don't over-react. This is no threat, I just wanted to help illustrate the shortcomings world that you and your intellectual compatriots so blindly building for all of us to live in. Unlike you I value the principals set down in the constitution and, though I've been burned by them before I would even fight to defend even the most die-hard Christian's right to practice his religion. Unfortunately, due to your actions that may even be a necessary step sometime in the future; When law and order is subject to the petty and fickle whims of the masses in favor of our founding principals then who knows what the future may hold?

<i>"And as even the Supreme Court seems to be asking lately, what exactly even gives you license to think your opinion on the issue should matter?"</I>

They didn't want to bother with it. There was no Supreme Court Opinion.

<i>"It simply doesn't involve you..."</i>

It doesn't involve me. I live here. This is my community too. And I have an investment here which involves its future.

<i>"for good people who are just trying to fucking live their lives without being bothered."</i>

I would suggest that your <i>good people</i> are as politically active on this issue as any other group. Do you want to know why the Supreme Court sidestepped the issue. The Hs crowd is not some sniveling whimp cowarding in a dark corner, it's a 500lb political gorilla. And it is very active and very agressive.

<i>"For homosexuals the effects are real and consequential. Try telling a man who can't see his spouse in the hospital that it's nothing but public opinion; Tell it to a couple who is unable to adopt a child; tell it to a person in grief over the death of their significant other who's loosing half of his possessions to the family of his deceased partner which disowned him in life."</i>

Sorry man, I cant take this argument seriously. A peice of paper and a signature could fix each and every one of these arguements--no marriage license required. Again, the Hs mind is not so simple.

<i>"It’s easy for you to turn a blind eye and ignore these things, but millions of people have to wake up each day and live in this world that doesn’t want them and imposes arbitrary restrictions and hindrances in their way because of petty intolerance. Just like anyone else we’re doing what we can to get by, and it doesn’t help to constantly be shat on in the name of someone else’s inflated sense of moral superiority."</i>

I would say that much of Oregon sympathize with your arguement, judging from the returns on 36. Hs's are not alone, and they enjoy much if not more privilege both in political and in social circles. Portland and its Commissioners made good example of that.

<b><i>"...someone else’s inflated sense of moral superiority."</i></b>

Yep, I've been seeing a lot of that lately. The cool thing about democracy is that, when people disagree, they can vote on the question of what is right and what is wrong.

<i>"In any case your direct involvement is inconsequential next to the fact that at least for this argument you are clearly supporting the measure."</i>

I suppose I do see Hs unions bringing us a step closer to a diminished society; however, I think that you will realize your desire, just not tomorrow. I don't want to draw any parallels here, but I could easily play your argument with other minorities that both of us would not truly support. I would hope that everyone has line which he or she would not cross. And communities also draw lines.

<i>"Unlike you I value the principals set down in the constitution and, though I've been burned by them before I would even fight to defend even the most die-hard Christian's right to practice his religion."</i>

Excuse me. Where in the constitution do you see 36 in violation?

<b>
Bill of Rights
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

</b>

I have my opinion and feel responsible to vote based on my informed beliefs. I have no religion, but do have conviction. We simply disagree.

An inordinately large number of people, apparently, yourself included. If no one cared then we wouldn't be having this argument.
So you think you can tell me what beliefs I have? I think I would know that I am not included. And we would be having this argument. I'll have you know that a anti-36er started this thread, so it goes the other way. It takes TWO (count them - one, two) sides to argue. You are just as much at fault.

But if we are to try to create this divorce of cultural association and take our stuff and leave then the queers get the computers. We had Alan Turing, father of modern computing, so get off my internet you durn hets! haha
Lets share the computers. We had Charles Babbage, Nolan Bushnell, Doug Engelbart, Bill Gates, Mike Hackworth, Bill Hewlett, Steven Jobs, Ada Byron Vita King, John Mcarthy, Gordon Moore, Al Shugart, and Steve Wozniak just to name a few. So let's not change the subject. No one is advocating the "divorce of society" or however you put it.

Athelwulf, in response to "I just wanted to see if you would make a big deal of it:
Well, we did.
REALLY?!?! :eek:

Peace out. . .

Bowser said:
It doesn't involve me. I live here. This is my community too. And I have an investment here which involves its future.

And this is not an issue which impacts that. The fact remains, you have no business getting involved, let alone legislating on, your neighbor's marriage.

An interest in the outcome does not mean you stand to suffer any losses or damages from it, and in this case you simply haven't got a leg to stand on to have a say in the matter one way or another, it's a clear abuse of the system, just as much as Jim Crow laws were.

Bowser said:
I would suggest that your <i>good people</i> are as politically active on this issue as any other group. Do you want to know why the Supreme Court sidestepped the issue. The Hs crowd is not some sniveling whimp cowarding in a dark corner, it's a 500lb political gorilla. And it is very active and very agressive.

I don't see how political clout might scare off the Supreme Court from doing it's job, you seem to have a few delusions here. Not the least of them is the idea that the Gay rights movement is a "500lb gorilla". It's a large movement and it's been gaining ground for a while now but there's very little political clout that we can exercise, and we still haven't got a single politician on the national scene who seems to have the backbone to openly support our fight.

Bowser said:
Sorry man, I cant take this argument seriously. A peice of paper and a signature could fix each and every one of these arguements--no marriage license required. Again, the Hs mind is not so simple.

There are over a thousand benefits and legal considerations which are associated with a legal marriage, and despite your uninformed protesting, not all of them can be worked out with other contracts. Not to mention it would take quite a considerable amount of time and money to work with a lawyer to draft all of the documents needed. And even then written contracts such as wills have been known to be ignored in courts in matters of settling a deceased person's estate. These agreements simply fall short of the legal protection and recognition of marriage. Hell they're separate and not even quite equal, is that what we should aspire to?

Bowser said:
Yep, I've been seeing a lot of that lately. The cool thing about democracy is that, when people disagree, they can vote on the question of what is right and what is wrong.

Yes, apparently even when it begins eroding our ideal of inalienable rights. Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness is just a slogan, I suppose. Wouldn't it be great if for their next trick the religious right could get those damnable Harry Potter books legislated right off the shelves? This is a democracy, after all, and the mob is always right.

Bowser said:
I suppose I do see Hs unions bringing us a step closer to a diminished society; however, I think that you will realize your desire, just not tomorrow. I don't want to draw any parallels here, but I could easily play your argument with other minorities that both of us would not truly support. I would hope that everyone has line which he or she would not cross. And communities also draw lines.

Oh please, by all means do elaborate. I'd love to here what undoubtedly unsupportable conjecture and reactionary mental chaff you've built up to justify your opinion on this issue. Are homosexuals going to begin eating the children of decent folk and painting everything pink? What ends will granting same sex marriages the same rights as a homosexual marriage (keep in mind that there are homosexuals living together as married couples right as we speak, that's not going to change) or is the recognition of same sex marriage a destructive end in and of itself?

<b>
Bill of Rights . . .

You'd do well to familiarise yourself a bit better with the constitution. It may shock you to realize that it has a main body, and was even amended an additional 17 times after the bill of rights!

Amendment XIV

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several states according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each state, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the executive and judicial officers of a state, or the members of the legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such state, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such state.

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.table.html#amendments

I felt it important to include the entire amendment and link where you might find the entire text of the constitution, it may come in handy some day.

I have my opinion and feel responsible to vote based on my informed beliefs. I have no religion, but do have conviction. We simply disagree.

Well then, please share the information which has shaped your belief. I'm curious to know what knowledge might make a man deprive his brother of a simple and relevant security for no discernable reason than his general feeling of ickyness.

RubiksMaster said:
So you think you can tell me what beliefs I have? I think I would know that I am not included.

You can claim the contrary all you like but your position is still clear and obvious. What this issue boils down to is whether or not homosexuals are worthy of the same protections as any other human being - you have professed that they do not, as such homosexuals are not equal to other human beings. Now at least have the spine to stand by your conviction, you hate homosexuals.

You can be certain that If I were to target you for a malicious act of oppression I'd at least have the honesty to admit that it's because I don't like you.

RubiksMaster said:
And we would be having this argument. I'll have you know that a anti-36er started this thread, so it goes the other way. It takes TWO (count them - one, two) sides to argue. You are just as much at fault.

Just as much at fault for yearning, yes. Is it your intent to say that I should stand aside and not fight for my rights? It was my intent to imply that you (and your intellectual peers) should stand aside and let me have them. If you feel that I've gotten too uppity I'll be glad to let you tell me again what my place in your world is so that I might laugh at you for suggesting I return to it; It's time that I stood at your shoulder, not under your foot. It's a bit crampt down there, and I'm afraid I don't much care for it.

<i>"And this is not an issue which impacts that. The fact remains, you have no business getting involved, let alone legislating on, your neighbor's marriage."</i>

Wrong, I do have a right to involve myself with this public issue and any other that might come around. Tell me that I have no right to impose my vote where other social questions are raised: Prostitution, drug abuse, hate crimes... I'm certain that many others would share your opinion that these issues are none of my business; however, I would disagree.

Hs marriage is a public issue. Yes, and it does come under the scope of public scrutiny.

<i>"...and in this case you simply haven't got a leg to stand on to have a say in the matter one way or another"</i>

Hmm, democracy would say otherwise.

<i>"you seem to have a few delusions here. Not the least of them is the idea that the Gay rights movement is a "500lb gorilla". It's a large movement and it's been gaining ground for a while now but there's very little political clout that we can exercise, and we still haven't got a single politician on the national scene who seems to have the backbone to openly support our fight."</i>

I would disagree with you there, but would asses that the Hs movement has been hammered by the recent run on state measures banning gay marriage. And the gorilla has lost weight because of it. I suppose you could say that the Supreme Court did not want to catch the issue.

<i>"These agreements simply fall short of the legal protection and recognition of marriage."</i>

Thousands? I might be willing to give you some distance with this argument. Maybe you should tell us exactly what the Hs community hopes to achieve with the notion of marriage. Also, would <b>Civil Unions</b> suffice?

<i>" Hell they're separate and not even quite equal, is that what we should aspire to?"</i>

You need to elaborate on that one.

<i>"Yes, apparently even when it begins eroding our ideal of inalienable rights. Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness is just a slogan, I suppose."</i>

Hmm, that's too simple. You know as well as I that there are limits impose on the extent in which we can pursue happiness and liberty. Much of those limitations are based on public perception.

<i>"Wouldn't it be great if for their next trick the religious right could get those damnable Harry Potter books legislated right off the shelves? This is a democracy, after all, and the mob is always right."</i>

<b>Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;</b>

Not a chance. Also, you keep bringing up the term <i>mob.</i> Let me remind you that, had 36 failed, the mob would have been--in the Hs mind--enlightened. I can't help but feel that anyone who might disagree with the Hs mindset is quick to be labeled...bad, very baaad.

I take that back... They have taken some things off the shelf: Child pornography. There was a time when that was considered protected speech, until someone realized that children were being abused in its production.

Sorry, that simply came to mind. It's a bit off track, I know.

<i>"Are homosexuals going to begin eating the children of decent folk and painting everything pink? What ends will granting same sex marriages the same rights as a homosexual marriage (keep in mind that there are homosexuals living together as married couples right as we speak, that's not going to change) or is the recognition of same sex marriage a destructive end in and of itself?"</i>

I think that it destroys the definition of marriage and devalues its worth. It starts a downward slide that eats at the backbone of society. It is a non-productive union which desires to invade and weaken that which is productive and stable. It wants to borrow by hijacking truth.

Look, I'm certain that you're as red as a beet right now, but I do see Hs marriage as being a destructive element and cannot justify it anymore than I could justify a union between my neighbor and his dog.

<i>"You'd do well to familiarise yourself a bit better with the constitution. It may shock you to realize that it has a main body, and was even amended an additional 17 times after the bill of rights!"</i>

It was late and I was tired. I didn't search for the current edition. :D

<b>...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.</b>

And so, the law now defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

That is the way it has always been and the way it should always be. You folks love to play with words, so we eliminated any doubt. I suppose that animal lovers and polygamist might have a problem with the above definition too.

<i>"I felt it important to include the entire amendment and link where you might find the entire text of the constitution, it may come in handy some day."</i>

I appreciate that.

<i>"I'm curious to know what knowledge might make a man deprive his brother of a simple and relevant security for no discernable reason than his general feeling of ickyness."</i>

Short of drawing a picture, Hs is wrong.

If my brother was Hs, I would still give him my respect for those thing which I felt are of worth. However, I would not surrender my truth for his. If he asked me what I thought, I would tell him the truth. If I had to choose between his way of life and mine, I would certainly choose my own--both at home and in public.

Bowser,

There is no practical reason for Hs unions other than to change public perception and public values.

Um . . . Ya really are missing the point.

The Hs crowd is not some sniveling whimp cowarding in a dark corner, it's a 500lb political gorilla. And it is very active and very agressive.

Is this a bad thing that they are active and aggressive? The way I see it, they're reacting to opression.

ROTF LMFAO! :D

You are so ignorant of this issue! There are at least 100 rights that are denied to homosexuals because they cannot legally marry. Here's the proof.

But let's think hypothetically for a sec. Let's say that everything can be fixed by signing contracts. How many do ya think would have to be signed? How time-consuming and costly do ya think that is? Wouldn't it just be easier on them if we let them get marriage licenses? Answer me honestly.

Lastly, this argument reeks of Jim Crow laws.

I don't want to draw any parallels here, but I could easily play your argument with other minorities that both of us would not truly support.

Well, by all means, argue. Make my day. :cool:

That was the Bill of Rights. There's quite a lot of stuff missing. How convenient for you, cutting out major parts of the United States Constitution. They probably contain text that shows that Measure 36 is in violation. Makes ya wonder . . .

Oh, and don't post the entire Constitution like ya did the Bill of Rights, please. Quote specific passages. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you should tell us exactly what the Hs community hopes to achieve with the notion of marriage.

They hope to achieve acceptance and the right to marry whom they love! Could it be any more overt?

Also, would Civil Unions suffice?

No, it wouldn't. Civil unions don't grant all rights a marriage license does. Also, even if they did, this is a prime example of "separate but equal". That doesn't cut it in today's society.

You know as well as I that there are limits impose on the extent in which we can pursue happiness and liberty.

Share with us the limits that concern homosexual marriage. I'd sure like to see that. I need a good laugh.

I have a thread about the "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" phrase and how it justifies homosexual marriages. Click [Thread=42317]here[/Thread].

. . . Hs is wrong.

Aha. This is where ye'r sadly misguided. This is the cornerstone of yer whole argument. And it's an arguable opinion, as well. That makes for a weak cornerstone.

If ya could realize that homosexuality is actually okay, then ya'll realize that homosexual marriage is okay as well. But right now, ye'r greatly crippled in yer views of the world.

I wanna make one last comment before I'm done with ya and go on to RubiksMaster. I find it especially amusing that ya don't type out the word "homosexual". Why is this? Are ya afraid of the word . . .

"Homosexuality"?!

If ye'r not, please spell out the entire word. I'd like to be able to read yer post without having to think whether any one "HS" includes the suffix -ity or -s or not. And especially since the abreviation can be mistaken with "heterosexual".

Now, my good friend IRL, RubiksMaster, . . .

Lets share the computers.

Let's share the right to get married to whomever we love. I think that's just as novel an idea as sharing the computers. Don't you?

Bowser said:
Wrong, I do have a right to involve myself with this public issue and any other that might come around. Tell me that I have no right to impose my vote where other social questions are raised: Prostitution, drug abuse, hate crimes... I'm certain that many others would share your opinion that these issues are none of my business; however, I would disagree.

So in your opinion, the signing of a very standard and common contract by two people is your business? Does this go for all marriages? Where exactly does this divine right of yours come from?

If you're worried that long-term homosexual relationships damage your community (a completely unsupportable position) don't stop your hand wringing and whining just yet, because quite frankly nothing is going to stop that, you haven't successfully voted against those, only against equal protection of them in the eyes of the law. If that's what's uppsetting you then you'd really just be better off buying a gun.

Bowser said:
Hs marriage is a public issue. Yes, and it does come under the scope of public scrutiny.

A public issue because you happen to have a problem with it? You have no real tangible interest in it, nothing to lose or gain by it's acceptance or failure. if I had some sort of vague objection to your marriage, would it give me the right to see it dissolved? At what point do we gain the ability to take such intrusive and inappropriate steps against our neighbors who have raised no hand against us?

Bowser said:
I would disagree with you there, but would asses that the Hs movement has been hammered by the recent run on state measures banning gay marriage. And the gorilla has lost weight because of it. I suppose you could say that the Supreme Court did not want to catch the issue.

The issue bought before the Supreme Court was the ruling which allowed same sex marriages in Massachusetts, a suit bought by a group of radical fundamentalists who also really had no real interest in it.

Also, the recent rash of states amending their constitutions to ban same sex marriage (and in many cases civil unions) isn't of great concern on a legal stand point. Nothing is really being outlawed here, these were unions already barred by other legislation in those states and federally as well, it's really just a sort of practice in mastubatory hatred and pettiness on the part of social conservatives. In the end it’s really our democracy that is hurt by such measures being enacted. The majority, it seems, is once again free to exert it’s hatred over a minority in defiance of the spirit of the principals and laws upon which our nation is supposed to operate. As I’ve said before it’s a dangerous path to walk down, the potential for abuse is great, and traditionalists would do well to keep in mind that the pendulum can swing both ways.

Bowser said:
Thousands? I might be willing to give you some distance with this argument. Maybe you should tell us exactly what the Hs community hopes to achieve with the notion of marriage. Also, would <b>Civil Unions</b> suffice?

What they hope to gain? Simply put those entitlements and the legal status which marriage grants. It's quite apropriate for the nature of the relationship which they are engaging in with one another anyhow, or at least that's how our culture looks at things. Asside from that it's quite nice to live in a world where the government won't give you shit just because of who you love, and hey maybe that'd even contribute to more regular people doing the same. Can you imagine a world where you don't fear being beaten to death because of who you were on a date with the other night? Sounds fantastic, I know, but some people feel that we might some day acheive it.

To put it in other words, we want to be treated like human beings, that's all were' looking for here. We're fed up with arbitrary restrictions and impositions being placed on us as though we'd done anything to disserve them, and we especially want the government, which we are ruled by and which we are a part of, which we give our taxes too, and for which we're even willing to fight and die for, even though they wouldn't have us if they knew the truth, to just give us a fair shake and put us on a level with everyone else in the country. That sure would be keen. Not so much to ask really when we contribute just as much as anyone else, and the single thing which differentiates us from everyone else sure as hell isn't hurting anyone. Unfortunately it sometimes seems like that goal makes a bit too much sense for this country.

Bowser said:
<i>" Hell they're separate and not even quite equal, is that what we should aspire to?"</i>

You need to elaborate on that one.

Individual contracts don't provide the same protection that marriage can, and they cost a lot more, hence they are not quite equal and separate (we don't even have a separate but equal situation going on here) and even if we did we as a nation decided that this is something we do not want to bother ourselves with.

Bowser said:
Hmm, that's too simple. You know as well as I that there are limits impose on the extent in which we can pursue happiness and liberty. Much of those limitations are based on public perception.

Those limits deal with who gets hurt, or at least they are supposed to. Granting a right which yields nothing but benefit to some, and no harm to any is entirely reasonable. When it's not granted, however, then who's getting screwed over? If you learn a little bit more about our democracy you'll see that there are measures in place which are supposed to keep the whim of the majority from dictating life for minorities. We've had some trouble with that in the past, if you'll remember, and it's rather sad that we need to revisit this practice again.

Bowser said:
Not a chance.

Hey, that's what I thought, but it's the same issue, and here we are. If the majority is free to make these sorts of arbitrary moral decisions for everyone else, then who's to say that Harry Potter can't be banned? Who's to say Muslims won't be kicked out of the country? Who's to say whether or not Evangelical Christianity will become the national religion? Time was we had protections against these things, there were some decisions which simply weren't up to be made even by a majority vote of the people because we couldn't have one larger sect calling all the shots for everyone else. It seems that we're either to lazy or just apathetic to bother upholding that idea and I really do fear where it will get us.

Bowser said:
Also, you keep bringing up the term <i>mob.</i> Let me remind you that, had 36 failed, the mob would have been--in the Hs mind--enlightened. I can't help but feel that anyone who might disagree with the Hs mindset is quick to be labeled...bad, very baaad.

You seem to be confusing terminology here. I say mob not to mean majority but instead the unthinking, petty or just mean spirited individuals who would vote for Measure 36. The fact that they seem to be in the majority is simply a sad detail.

Bowser said:
I think that it destroys the definition of marriage and devalues its worth. It starts a downward slide that eats at the backbone of society. It is a non-productive union which desires to invade and weaken that which is productive and stable.

Oh boo hoo! Cry me a river. Does the fact that your definition of marriage offends me and makse my life harder matter just as much on a one to one ratio? Is it simply your numbers that make you right? What away to run a country, I thought the whole point of a civil society was to get rid of the idea that might makes right. Oh well back to the drafting board!

Also, please do elaborate on your claims that a homosexual union is "non productive" and weakens a single heterosexual union. First off, who is a marriage supposed to be productive for? Are you trying to argue that because it doesn't produce any benefits directy for you that you shouldn't bother with them? I couldn't agree more, you've not a thing to do with it, so just take your hands off of it! But how does it harm a single same sex union? Wouldn't it be wiser to look to other homosexuals defaming the insitution of marriage? Why is there no outcry against Fox's shows like "Who wants to let the audience marry you to a complete stranger?" Or is a loving union between two people just so offensive to your idea of marriage that you've got to stop at nothing to protect your 50% divorse rate?

Bowser said:
It wants to borrow by hijacking truth.

You're really going to have to explain this one, I've got no idea where you’re coming from.

Bowser said:
Look, I'm certain that you're as red as a beet right now, but I do see Hs marriage as being a destructive element and cannot justify it anymore than I could justify a union between my neighbor and his dog.

So you're implying that the gender of one partner happens to be on the same level as a person falling in love with a dog? What does that say about your opinion of every other man and woman on the planet? Haha. And again, does that vague unsupported notion that something is icky give you some sort of supreme right to deny other human beings the rights guaranteed and due to them? You must be someone very important that your slightest displeasure should cause such havoc in the lives of others, I hope you're proud of being so petty and disagreeable, it's an astonishing feat.

Bowser said:
And so, the law now defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

Good point. Maybe we should start defining "person" as a white land owning male again. Those were the good old days! Personally I like to think that the law should be written to apply to everyone, regardless of how the religious right would have it.

Bowser said:
That is the way it has always been and the way it should always be. You folks love to play with words, so we eliminated any doubt. I suppose that animal lovers and polygamist might have a problem with the above definition too.

Always was? Not in this country. . . not even really in this culture. You'd do well to look into the history of marriage in America and in Western Civilization, because you're rather off with this comment.

Also, try to keep in mind that for the most part they used to say that Marriage was between a Man and his docile cow of a wife, then marriage was between a Man and a woman of the same color only. Your supposedly static institution has changed quite a bit even just in the last 100 years to suit the times. This newest change should come as no real surprise.

Bowser said:
Short of drawing a picture, Hs is wrong.

And really that's what it all comes down to, doesn't it? You're a bigot and don't want to live peacefully with people, so you vote to outlaw their rights. Congratulations on letting petty hatred get in the way of your own decision making, and interfering with the rights and wellbeing of others.

Bowser said:
If my brother was Hs, I would still give him my respect for those thing which I felt are of worth. However, I would not surrender my truth for his. If he asked me what I thought, I would tell him the truth. If I had to choose between his way of life and mine, I would certainly choose my own--both at home and in public.

Now what in God's name does any of this even mean? Why would you have to chose between his way of life and your own? To each their own is what we tend to preach, you seem to be a bit confused; You are the one who is trying to say that everyone should live as you and hold your values, not the homosexuals. We don't ask that you become like us, just deal with the fact that we're trying to live here too, thanks. Oh and please don't legislate against us or tie us to fence posts and beat us to death, that'd be just peachy.

It’s not a message that’s overly complicated or threatening, is it?

Hmm... Well, I've been down this road before, and I know it has no end. I suppose the Hs community could always start their own initiative if they could muster the courage to face the rejection. I think that Civil Unions are the last option for them.

I'm jumping off this crazy train. Take care :)

Mod Hat - Ethical argument?

It is my opinion that if someone is going to go forth and compare people to dogs in such a manner--

Bowser said:

--one at least ought to have the decency to stand behind it.

If one cannot justify such comparisons, if one must flee their own rhetoric--

Well, I've been down this road before, and I know it has no end . . . . I'm jumping off this crazy train

--then the rhetoric is poisonous, and ought not be employed.

At present, the posting rules for this site as put forth in the EM&J forum prohibit personal attacks, stereotyping/name calling, and goading.

To compare a group of people to dogs in such an insulting manner and fail utterly to justify that comparison is simply inappropriate.

I've been trying to avoid the institution of a new rule in this forum, but since people are no longer able to figure it out for themselves, the EM&J forum will soon require the appearance of ethics in an ethical argument, the appearance of morals in a moral argument.

Comparing a group of people to dogs in an insulting manner and failing to justify that comparison certainly fails both tests.

This topic is officially closed. I am leaving that stellar testament to hate intact so that you can see it, but please understand, it is very inappropriate to post in that manner, and such ludicrous and spiteful rhetoric will not be tolerated.

Neither hate nor bigotry produce rational, useful arguments. Either stand up for your bigotry and make a coherent point out of it, or else can it.

Easy enough? Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back