Raised to be religious.

Were you raised to believe in God ?

• I believe in God and my parents believed in God.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I believe in God but my parents did not believe in God.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I do not believe in God but my parent did believe in God.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I do not believe in God and my parent did not believe in God either.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I believe in God and one of my parents believes in God.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I do not believe in God but one of my parents believe in God.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
I voted "my parented believed in god but i don't", except I'm not sure they really did believe it - the probably just thought it was a good way to raise a child the same way as most parents.

Dragon said:
...so it seems that the older we get, the more fear grows in us, and more we think of death...and what if God exists and what if he does and am I going to hell or heaven?...the fear grows or is it experience and many start believing in God.
an extremely small percentage, can happen that way. The majority are indoctrinated into religion from early childhood. People born to Muslim parents in a Muslim country where belief in the Muslim faith is a law will certainly not grow up to be Christians, now will they.
Most people stay in the faith that they were raised in. Perhaps not the same sect, but still the same god. Ever wondered why that is.
99% of these “Christians" would be “Muslims" if they had been born in Iran/Iraq etc.
A chosen few leave the irrationality of religion behind, and of that few I've never heard of anyone of them returning to an irrational belief in Allah or the Christian god. Regardless of how old they get. ( and before anybody says it Anthony Flew does not believe in Allah or Yahweh, or any other god/gods that are around.)
SAM said:
And apparently many people who were raised to believe didn't. Way to go Einstein!
well of course, the clear thinker is in a minority.

...so it seems that the older we get, the more fear grows in us, and more we think of death...and what if God exists and what if he does and am I going to hell or heaven?...the fear grows or is it experience and many start believing in God.
As far as I know, my grandfather is atheist. He served in WW2.

It seems that often, when you mean to say "I", you say "we".
Perhaps one day you will learn that what is true for you is not necessarily true for all humankind.

A chosen few leave the irrationality of religion behind, and of that few I've never heard of anyone of them returning to an irrational belief in Allah or the Christian god. Regardless of how old they get. ( and before anybody says it Anthony Flew does not believe in Allah or Yahweh, or any other god/gods that are around.)

What about Francis Collins?

Maybe there are people who revert but do not declare it because of attitudes like this:

well of course, the clear thinker is in a minority.

Or just deluded in a different way.

I was raised to be a believer. Then my real dad changed his mind. When he changed his mind, I started questioning why I believed. Then when he found out he had cancer, he became a believer again. I'm still not a believer.

What about Francis Collins?
yes what about him!
He went from no real belief to a belief whats your point, he didn't lose the shackles of religion and return, he never really had a religion to shake off.

yes what about him!
He went from no real belief to a belief whats your point, he didn't lose the shackles of religion and return, he never really had a religion to shake off.

So its safe to say that you don't really know why a theist is one.

Exactly, I'm baffled.
as are us all, whom think freely.

An old lady said recently to Richard Dawkins at a fete, "did he think the archbishop of Canterbury was an idiot", he replied "no he thought the archbishop to be an intelligent man, he was just baffled as to why he believed in god"

Brainwashed with religious dogma almost from birth, as is nearly everybody, both my parents are religious, as is one of my brothers, but I saw the light and reverted back to the natural way.
The rest of my siblings don’t seem to be bothered either way; however I have heard them being angry over the irrational lose of life caused by religious adherents.

here in england that is not the norm, where i live in london alot of people are not religious. your statement of "as is nearly everybody" is false. a huge number of people in the UK do not believe in god, and to not attend church.

i have never been raised to believe in anything such as a god.

peace.

Exactly, I'm baffled.
as are us all, whom think freely.

An old lady said recently to Richard Dawkins at a fete, "did he think the archbishop of Canterbury was an idiot", he replied "no he thought the archbishop to be an intelligent man, he was just baffled as to why he believed in god"

What is so free thinking about assuming you know how theists think? Or that you perceive their theism as "baffling"?

There are several who are similarly baffled when they cannot grasp something.

here in england that is not the norm, where i live in london alot of people are not religious. your statement of "as is nearly everybody" is false. a huge number of people in the UK do not believe in god, and to not attend church.

i have never been raised to believe in anything such as a god.

peace.
it does say nearly, and the worlds a big place theres a lot more people in london than you. can you speak for all of them especially those that live up stamford hill, or near the whitchapel mosque. I went to Clissold park school. stoke newington, we had church of england assembly every morning.
it is just over half the uk population that state they dont follow a religion, but the world is almost 80% religious, I'm glad there is a few sensible people here in england.

Back