Raised to be religious.

Were you raised to believe in God ?

• I believe in God and my parents believed in God.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I believe in God but my parents did not believe in God.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I do not believe in God but my parent did believe in God.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I do not believe in God and my parent did not believe in God either.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I believe in God and one of my parents believes in God.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I do not believe in God but one of my parents believe in God.

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

Enmos

Valued Senior Member
I think it would be interesting to see any correlations.
Thanks for participating :)

In the last two options 'believes' and 'believe' should both be 'believed'.
Apologies for the inconsistency.

My mum was religious, my dad sort of thinks he is. :D

Neither of them were practising though, except in a half hearted sort of way.

Religion was like homework, we sort of went through the motions at home.

I was raised in a family were all were religious and believed in God, my grandmother raised me as Evangelist...who I never become. My other grandmother raised me as a strict Orthodox Christian...who I feel a bit of, but do not feel this God within. My parents believe in God and attend church and so did I. I prayed and life was good for me. But I have not felt God. And so I chose my path as a Buddhist, because I do not want to sway from religion to religion, I do not want my soul to be ripped apart by beliefs which confront each other. I want to be at peace within myself and this world.

Brainwashed with religious dogma almost from birth, as is nearly everybody, both my parents are religious, as is one of my brothers, but I saw the light and reverted back to the natural way.
The rest of my siblings don’t seem to be bothered either way; however I have heard them being angry over the irrational lose of life caused by religious adherents.

Aren't the third and last options almost the same thing?

Both my parents are devout christians. I was raised as such, but I removed the bible shackles myself.

Aren't the third and last options almost the same thing?

Both my parents are devout christians. I was raised as such, but I removed the bible shackles myself.

Yeah, hmm
In my haste to finish the poll I made some typo's.
"parent" in options 3 and 4 should be "parents", which should be obvious however.
Options 5 and 6 are quite different, and not similar to option 3 (after the correction).

Thing is, I can't edit the poll to correct the typo's.

Last edited:
I went to a Christian Primary School [quite mild really, just daily assemblies with a story from the bible, and prayers, acting out the nativity at Christmas, acting out the passover at... whenever that is celebrated. stuff like that] and held a mild belief in Christianity until I was about 15 I guess. Never went to church though. My family aren't strongly religious either, I'd say they're non-practising Christians. The school happened to be closest to home and had a good reputation, it wasn't chosen because of it's religious nature.

Now I identify as mild atheist.

I believe in god but my parents weren't in the slightest (perhaps they could be described as agnostic - for us going to the place of worship was only the business of reciprocating with invitations for funerals and weddings - I was of the same inclination till a few years after I finished my higher education

...so it seems that the older we get, the more fear grows in us, and more we think of death...and what if God exists and what if he does and am I going to hell or heaven?...the fear grows or is it experience and many start believing in God.

...so it seems that the older we get, the more fear grows in us, and more we think of death...and what if God exists and what if he does and am I going to hell or heaven?...the fear grows or is it experience and many start believing in God.

Or not.

So far the obvious trend is that most had religious parents and roughly half stayed religious while the other half became non-believers.
We are barely seeing people that believe despite the fact that their parent didn't, which strengthens the idea that people who believe were raised to believe.

So far the obvious trend is that most had religious parents and roughly half stayed religious while the other half became non-believers.
We are barely seeing people that believe despite the fact that their parent didn't, which strengthens the idea that people who believe were raised to believe.

And apparently many people who were raised to believe didn't. Way to go Einstein!:p

Back