Quotes, Quotes, Quotes, (Just fun)

Tristan

Leave your World Behind
Valued Senior Member
I'll post a qoute every day or couple of days. You should reall read them. Very good!

All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Truly, that which makes me believe there is no inhabitant on this sphere, is that it seems to me that no sensible being would be willing to live here."

"Well, Then!" said Micromegas, "perhaps the beings that inhabit it do not possess good sense."

One alien to another, on approaching earth, in VOLTAIRE'S
Micromegas: A Philosophical History (1752)

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
And today is a gift
That is why we call it - the present:)

Last words of Oscar Wilde...

"Either this wallpaper goes or I do!"

Where can I go from your spirit?
where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there.
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of dawn,
If I settle on the farside of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
-Psalm 139 (7-10)

There are moments where time suddenly
stand still and leaves space for eternity.
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

the things I plant won't grow, yet the wild
weeds flower in wind and snow, can i not see
the clearings for these forests in my head,
can i not see the sunlight as i play dead?
-gueen adreena

Especially when life seems at its most unfair
and your faith is darkened by the cruelty of
human doubt, even if you don't remember me at
those moments, I am right beside you always,
my strong hand taking yours and guiding you
through.
-the messiahs

Each one of us is to
answer a significant question
and the question is this,
is the universe friendly
-einstein

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came
from. We long to return. And we can, because the
Cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff."
- Carl Sagan

ehhe i have a whole bunch on my site...

l u m i n a

" ....we know a great deal about the existence and properties of matter. If a given phenomenon can already be plausibly understood in terms of matter and energy, why should we hypothesize that something else-something for which there is as yet no other good eveidence- is responsible? Yet the complaint persists: Skeptics won't accept that there's an invisible fire-breathing dragon in my garage because they're all atheistic materialists."

Carl Sagan "The Demon-Hanunted World" ;)

Quotes from the Netherlands...in English...

Guys have feelings too. But like... Who cares?

I don't believe in miracles... I rely on them...

I hate everybody, and you're next...

And your point is...?

I'm busy, you're ugly. Have a nice day...

Warning: I have an attitude and I know how to use it!!!

Remember my name... You'll be screaming it later...

Don't worry. It'll only seems kinky the first time...

Of course I don't look busy... I did it right the first time...

Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?

I'm multi-talented: I can talk and piss you off at the same time...

You, me, whipped cream, handcuffs. Any questions?

You have the right to remain silent, so please shut up!!!

I'm one of those bad things that happen to good people...

How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Sorry I looked interested. I'm not...:cool:

Great to see other Sagan fans around :)

My fav quotes :

" We are a scientific civilization. That means a civilization in which knowledge and its integrity are crucial.
Science is only a latin word for knowledge .... Knowledge is our destiny. " - Jacob Bronowski.

" Brains function on a need -to-know basis, and the need-to-know is what you need to know in order to survive on the African plains as hunter-gathers. It's pure bonus if we manage to understand a bit about relativity and quantum theory as well. I think it's a tremendous privilege that we can understand as much as we can. " - Richard Dawkins.

" This lesson is one of the hardest for humans to learn. We cannot accept that things might be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind, but simply callous: indifferent to all suffering, lacking all purpose. " - Richard Dawkins.

" People think that if you are a scientist you have to give up that joy of discovery, that passion, that sense of the great romance of life. I say that's completely opposite of the truth. The fact is that the real thing is far more dazzling, far more goose-bump-raising, than any myth or childish story that we can make up. " - Ann Druyan

" Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy. " - Carl Sagan.

" If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?.... For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. " - Carl Sagan.

- Sivakami.

My current favourite:

Time is the fire in which we burn.

Patrick Stewart. or maybe even Soran.:)

I do not want to enter the debate of who has suffered more, trivializing the debate by comparing levels of misery.
There's enough suffering to go around.

David Bergman.

If homosexuality is a disease, let's call in queer to work.
'Hello? Can't work today, still queer.'
Stephanie Strong

Some men see thing the way they are and say 'Why?'.
I dream things that never were and say 'Why not?.

Robert F. Kennedy.

I'm working on that!
Prof. Steven Hawkings on seeing the warp engine on the set of of 1701d.

This is an attack of the very fabric of modern society.

Mike Gillespie after 11 september 2001.

To dream of flight....could blow this soul right through the roof of the night.
Floyd

Last edited:
Wait! esp! Wait, wait!!

"Time is the fire in which we burn."

That wasn't patrick stewart!! That was Malcom Mcdowell from Star Trek:Generations, a most excellent film, and probably the best star trek movie ever. Patrick Stewart says something to the effect of:

"Time is like a relative that reminds us to cherish the moments we experience."

Here's some quotes for ya:

"Fun will now commence"-description for scifi forum which was removed.

"Patience is virtuous"-Professor Allen Welsch

The Venusian Book of Sayings
Soran: "We're all going to die sometime. The question is: how and when." Then, later: "Its like a predator, stalking you."

Picard: "And the nexus?"

Soran: "Time has no meaning. The predator has no teeth."

Yes, a most excellent film.

Welcome to sciforums ssivakami, and I'm sorry that I didn't welcome you in my other reply to you under astronomy or general science and technology [or something]. I hope that you become an avid member, as we have a shortage of strong female voices in our little island of knowledge and carelessness.

certitude is bigger enemy of the truth than lies.
(Nietzsche)
(transl frm Latvian)

"Just one year later, congress pulled the plug for SETI.".....Read Below......

"....I wonder why those members of congress concerened about pricetags dont devote greater attention to the Department of Defence- which, with the soviet union gone and the Cold War over, still spends, when all costs are tallied, well over $300 Billion a year....Perhaps our decendents will look back on our time and marvel at us- possesed of the technology to detect other beings , but closing our ears because we insisted on spending the national wealth to protect us from an enemy that no longer exsists."
Carl Sagan

Note: Mind you that this was written a few years ago and Carl Sagan didnt have a chance to see what happened to the WTC. But its still increduble. We spend 50 times more on weapons than we do on (simile) simple machines and people to keep our house clean. And the kind of house we live in (Earth) cant be so easliy repaired.:rolleyes:

There you go Tristan...

Wonderful post and so true.

It is outrageous what the human race is doing to Earth. No quotes this time, just a full agreement with yours and with what you've written down.

Nothing to add here. Good job!! You have the right view, heading right for the way to freedom of mind. Let's hope Earth will be free again. One day, not so far in the future...

Originally posted by Pollux V

Welcome to sciforums ssivakami, and I'm sorry that I didn't welcome you in my other reply to you under astronomy or general science and technology [or something]. I hope that you become an avid member, as we have a shortage of strong female voices in our little island of knowledge and carelessness.

Thank you.
Knowledge ... ok. Carelessness ... why ? :confused:

- Sivakami

ssi read what I said to avatar in his thread 'did you know....' under Free Thoughts. Although we talk about science here and there us youngins sometimes just hang out and 'mess around.'

That quote was excellent, Tristan. I wonder if I can say 'inspiring' without sounding corny. Well I guess not.

I don't believe that I did that!

Wait! esp! Wait, wait!!

"Time is the fire in which we burn."

That wasn't patrick stewart!! That was Malcom Mcdowell from Star Trek:Generations, a most excellent film, and probably the best star trek movie ever.
Pollux V

So very true. :eek: :eek: I think I was thinking about later at the end of the movie where Soran is being quoted on 'Time is a predator that stalks us all our lives'.
Personally, I think generations is fourth best after Kahn, Undiscovered Country, 1st Contact.

Patrick Stewart says something to the effect of:

"Time is like a relative that reminds us to cherish the moments we experience."

"I rather believe that time is a companion that goes with us on a journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment.
Because it'll never come again.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all, were only mortal."

.Nah. The fire in which we burn.

Thanx for the correction.:)

Joy about some small evils protects us from some much greater ones.

(Nietzsche)
(transl frm Latvian)

Venusian phrase book

Fifth planet of Pollux:

Phrase book of Wolf 359

I am Locutus of Borg.
Resistance is futile. Patrick Stewart (almost certainly :) )

Humans think in such three-dimensional terms.

You are an imperfect being, created by imperfect beings. Finding your weakness is only a matter of time. Alice Krige

There's no teacher who can teach us anything new, he can only help us to remember the things we always knew.

(Enigma)

Back