Quick Question from the new girl

Belle

Registered Senior Member
Hey everybody!
I'm a newbie here and I hope I'm not going to get swallowed alive....
Right. I have a quick conversation starter here. See, my parents are very conservative Christians and I'm a pretty liberal Agnostic (makes for a crazy home life:rolleyes: ) I have a sister who lives in Georgia with her boyfriend and my parents won't let me visit her b/c I'm an "impressionable teenager". I might catch her bad morals while I'm there or something. Any ideas on what I can to do convince them to let me go?
Ya, kinda boring topic, I know. Hopefully I'll get better with experience :D
-Belle

And what is the worst case scenario if you disobey them and just pack a bag, leave a note and catch a bus (or whatever) while they are at work?

Other than eternal damnation in Hell and all that fire and brimstone stuff?

Besides the Hell thing...

knowing them they'd probably lock me in a closet when I got home.
But that's not what I was looking for when I posted this. I was looking for a logical way to convince my folks to let me go. I'd prefer to still be on somewhat-good terms with them.
-Belle

Hi Belle,

Welcome to sciforums.

Suggest that while you are visiting your sister that they pray for you. Since Christians claim that genuine prayers are always answered then there can be no way that you could come to harm or be influenced to your detriment. If they refuse that tactic then ask why they ever pray if they don’t believe that prayer works.

Well, I guess if you REALLY WANT TO stay on good terms with your parents:rolleyes:...

Well, give us more facts.

What is so horrible and damaging to you from visiting your sister?
Why is she so bad for you?
Just the "living in sin" thing?

What would be their specific arguments for not letting you go?
Give us those, and maybe we can give you some rebuttals.

Cris,
hmmm...that is a good idea. I'll have to try that one!

One_raven,
I'm not sure what their problem is. I supose it's mainly the whole living-together-not-married thing. From what my mother has said, I might get the wrong idea and think that I can just live with whomever I so wish.....:bugeye:

But if you are going to get that idea (that good idea) that you can and should live with whoever you wish FROM your sister, then you don;t have to visit to get that idea, you just have to get it from her example by knowing she is doing it.

If they forbid you to see your sister, then what is most likely to happen is that you will rebel against them irrationally due to their oppression of you and naturally gravitate towards your sister for moral and emotional support and guidance since you can't get it at home due to your emotional estrangement from them.

I imagine they were as stict and protective of your sister too.
Look what happened there.

If they were so good at dissuading that type of behavior you would be Christian, and your sister wouldn't be living in sin away from them.

"I don't want no one to squeeze me. They might take away my life. I just want someone to hold me. Yeah, and rock me througyh the night." ~Tracy Chapman (the quote might not be exact, it's from memory)

The harder they try and constrict you, the harder you will fight back.

It's human nature.

The best they can do to acheive their gols is to let you go see her and be completely open and understanding to you when you get home and assure you that you can come to them with any problems or questions.

Personally (if I were 16), I would go anyway and deal with the repurcussions (but first ask my sister if I could live with her if worst comes to worst).

Besides the Hell thing...
knowing them they'd probably lock me in a closet when I got home.

Ahhh... those good ole' Christian values - you just can't beat them.

Originally posted by (Q)
Ahhh... those good ole' Christian values - you just can't beat them.

Ahhh... those good ole' Christian children - at least you can still beat them. :D

One of my favorite bumper sticker of all time:

Christians:
You can't live WITH 'em
You can't feed 'em to the lions anymore.

Originally posted by Belle
I'm not sure what their problem is. I supose it's mainly the whole living-together-not-married thing. From what my mother has said, I might get the wrong idea and think that I can just live with whomever I so wish.....:bugeye:

Hehe, and we certainly wouldn't want you getting wild ideas like that in your head. A right to live your life how you want, and with whom you want, especialy when it's in a healthy and loving environment. . . well by God that's the devil!

O little Belle,

Ur parents wouldn't like u to become a nun either.. just u've to show them that u r capable of choosing the right way.. for example u post this thread in free thoughts sub-froums.. none there is going to assure u that "there is no hell - damn the god - go ahead against ur stupid parents".:D

Originally posted by one_raven
And what is the worst case scenario if you disobey them and just pack a bag, leave a note and catch a bus (or whatever) while they are at work?
With all do respect, giving that type of advice to an unknown minor presenting one side of a story in an open forum seems highly irresponsible.

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
With all do respect, giving that type of advice to an unknown minor presenting one side of a story in an open forum seems highly irresponsible.

I wasn't telling her she should do this.
I was asking what would happen if she did.
I do not know her parents, or what theior reaction would be, that is why I asked.
I think that was the responsible thing to do.

I personally do not think it is wrong for a 16 year old girl to take a bus.
However, if her parents would abuse her for doing such a thing, then I would advise her to talk to a professional about her abusive situation.

When I was 16, if my mother told me that she wouldn't want me to do this thing, and I did it anyway, there would not have been any form of punishment for me.
She might have been disappointed in me for doing it, but she trusted me and my judgement in such matters by then.
I was adult enough to make those decisions (as any 16 year old SHOULD be).

I DO realize that not all parents are as open, trusting and understanding as my mother.
I also realize that not all 16 year olds are the 16 year old that I was.
That is why I was trying to ascertain the situation.

AND, if the situation IS an abusive one, I wouldn't hesitate to talk about the possibility of any 16 year old moving away from home and into her sister's house.
I think that discussing it (not telling her what to do, but letting her know there ARE options) would be the appropriate responsible course of action to take.

Originally posted by Belle
Hey everybody!
I'm a newbie here and I hope I'm not going to get swallowed alive....
Right. I have a quick conversation starter here. See, my parents are very conservative Christians and I'm a pretty liberal Agnostic (makes for a crazy home life:rolleyes: ) I have a sister who lives in Georgia with her boyfriend and my parents won't let me visit her b/c I'm an "impressionable teenager". I might catch her bad morals while I'm there or something. Any ideas on what I can to do convince them to let me go?
Ya, kinda boring topic, I know. Hopefully I'll get better with experience :D
-Belle

Why don't you just obey your parents? :D Your still a kid.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by one_raven
AND, if the situation IS an abusive one, I wouldn't hesitate to ...
You clearly do not "hesitate" with or without forethought or information.

As for your idle, and equally irresponsible[/i], speculation concerning whether or not "the situation IS an abusive one", referring someone in such a situation to the authorities and/or an appropriate support group is significantly more relevant and less dangerous than suggesting she take some mini vacation.

You could say that you prayed to god that they would let you go, and that it would return your faith in god if he was able to make them let you go... :D

since they're all about teaching you christian values- go ahead and use them. i mean, ahem, lying and all. you have to convince them that you must do everything you can to influence your sister and get her to take your own flawless example. you have been praying to god everynight (and mary if you're catholic) and you are sure it is the right thing to do right now. a good prep would be to search scripture for passages that support what you want to do. the prodigal son off the top of my head. look for things about forgiveness, family, ministering, etc. and bookmark them.

Back