Questions...

water
Why void?
Irony, sarcasm, playfulness, facetiousness, escape you.

Looking for a "deity /that/ will benefit mankind and raise him above what he is" includes answering the question at which point is the discourse about this deity to enter an individual's life, and in what way.
All beliefs should be your own and the product of your own personal journey and struggle, with the usual influences and pressures from without.
Current religions take an empty mind and shape it. It’s surprising that anyone manages to break free at all.
For me it was a case of chance.
I was brought up in an Orthodox Christian environment by my mother, but my father’s voice of dissent placed the germ of doubt in me early on.
I had two opposing world views available to me and this prevented whatever indoctrination occurs in others.

Bells
Hmmm, I once heard a fanatical relative of mine comment that religion is what binds us all. I sometimes think that maybe the fool was correct. Some feel the need to belong, to be as one, to be part of the group. Religion and a belief in God allows them to fulfil that need.

Take individuals from every country on this planet who believe in the same entity and put them all together and they will have at least 2 things in common. The first is that they are human beings and the second is that they believe in the same deity. I actually find that frightening. It frightens me that so many people can allow themselves to be ruled by something that is totally unproven and frankly hearsay of the beliefs of others. But for them, it means they all belong. It means that their pitiful life on this planet will end and paradise awaits them behind the pearly gates.

Religion and a belief in a deity gives them something to look forward to and it also gives them something and someone to blame when it all goes invariably wrong.
True religion is one of the cultural elements that bind us to one another.

In my experience the broader the concepts that bind one mind to another, the feebler the mind becomes, or is, to begin with. The accommodation of larger amounts of individuals within a grouping necessitates simplifying the bonds that unite, often making them childish and ambiguous.

Personally, I think none. Mankind can only benefit itself when it frees itself from the shackles of religion and sees the potential to exist and improve by its own hands and means. Religion is a constraint preventing mankind from reaching it's full potential. We are restricted by religious dogmas.
I’m not so sure about that anymore.
A mind without beliefs is like a computer with no software.

Even disbelief is a belief.

Maybe a distinction must be made here, if any can be, between religion and spirituality.

I think some form of spirituality is essential for a healthy disposition. If nothing else it’s an acknowledgment of fallibility, a humble recognition of limitations and a desire to connect to what is not known or can never be known, in the course of a lifetime or to a conscious mind, in general.

Man created and invented God to keep man in check.
Funny thing is that for most this is the only thing “keeping them in check”.

If the usual methods of population control cannot be allowed to function and the creation of larger and larger amounts of idiots becomes a way of maintaining cultural viability, then some form of a simplistic deity is important for the masses.

But I am not talking for them. I am talking about the rest that find these spiritual dogmas as too simple or constricting and are looking for something else.

cole grey
“ Originally Posted by wanderer
There’s not much to keep my interests alive, here.
Children wallowing away the moments and wanting to maintain the distances that offer them anonymity and comfort.

Watch yourself.

“ Originally Posted by wanderer

Giggling girls and witty boys, exchanging ‘private messages’ and thinking they’re socializing.
An interactive role-playing game. You choose your character, an image to represent you and you go off to fight the dragons. ”

There is a concept in gnosticism called the 'seven mirrors'. You should check it out, because you tend to see in others the thing which you also exhibit. That is why these things are presented to you, not to fix them in others, but to show you about yourself. Pay attention.
I like how you weed out these few remarks from within a text that included other elements.
It seems that these few remarks made in passing, are more what you are interested in.

But, of course, all human speculation goes through self.
This is why knowing self is essential in understanding other.

But what was once intimate and close might be in the past now and is remembered as an example.

For example: I still remember the thrill of receiving a shiny new toy and can empathize with a child and understand the excitement and the facial expressions and the wonderment.
This doesn’t mean that I still share in it. I understand it because I once felt it.
My past participation or my current one only strengthen my evaluations, they do not weaken them.

In your haste to ‘deconstruct’ me you fail to notice that I never deny my humanity.
Reminding me that I share in many of the things I comment on leaves me indifferent.
I, in fact, comment on the things I understand intimately even if my understanding comes from memory.

Firstly it’s the matter of degree that distinguishes one mind from another and one character from another.

I feel envy, anger, hate, love and the gamut of human emotions. I, therefore, understand them.
But to what extent these emotions control my actions and which ones dominate over others is particular to every individual.

So shut the fuck up!

Back on subject: any commentary I make regarding religion can be thusly assumed to be a product of an intimate understanding and not abstraction and imagination.
I’ve shared in the religious fervor and I comprehend the factors participating in creating them and maintaining them.
I know why religion is attractive because I've felt the attraction.
So?

Also, earned love is not the only valid love. Without unearned love a human baby would die of cold and starvation. The species wouldn't even be around. The planet would be ruled by cockroaches.
Thank you for speaking on behalf of the species.

I never denied the benefits of emotions to the species.
I’m commenting on the consequences to the self.

I’m exploring the relation of individual to whole.

Given the example you offer – for which I’ve made allowances and commented on – we can safely say that the war in Iraq is beneficial to the US and the western world, but is it for the individual soldiers that are dying there?

Or.

The economic structures which keep us glued to material concerns and force us into a nine-to-five existence, benefit the overall social structure but do they sacrifice the individual for it?

Your point that humans need to evolve, and our perspectives of God must evolve is correct. That doesn't show that God must change, by any means.
God is a projection of man. When mankind evolves so does this projection.

When mankind advances and this God remains unaltered or the concept of him/her/it cannot be altered or reinvented or reinterpreted sufficiently to fit into the changing requirements, this God comes across as simplistic, childish and void of any inspiration.

Then God must die.

Jenyar said:
That depends on the scale of your perspective. Simply from the perspective of entropy, chaos has been ruling for millions of years. The universe is running down, moving from order into disorder. From the perspective of human harmony, chaos has ruled on earth since the first sin.

If a mathematical equation/description can be produced to describe the motion of something -- can that thing still be regarded "chaotic"?

And don't they have mathematic equations/descriptions even for the movement of birds picking on a heap of seeds?

Where exactly is the chaos then?
How do I find chaos, when for everything, mathematical descriptions can be produced?

They did come up with some kind of order. We call it justice. Left to itself, everything will eventually return to the way it was, but like an engine that keeps on running while its fuel last, people can perpetuate disorder as long as they have a will to. People only settle when they're dead. Death is nature at rest, since itself is a temporary suspension of chaos. Since we're not isolated systems, we can only reach such equilibrium spiritually (some would prefer to say 'psychologically') - when we reach it naturally, we die.

No no no. Living systems, as long as they are living systems, are organized by some kind of order, and this order emerges from them being living systems.
(Note: we are making these statements while observing the system from the outside. System elements don't have this sort of perspective available.)

There is no such thing as "Left to itself, everything will eventually return to the way it was". From an extrasystemic perspective, every system is always "left to itself".

WANDERER said:
I don’t know Bush either but I can still make evaluations about him.

Only about what you think you know about him.
Who knows, he could be a payed actor.

Is this all part of some Socratic method, a-la-water?

I am just being thorough.

But it depends on the situation.
Some respect does come at a high cost to self-respect but it must compensate the loss with another gain, if it is healthy.

See, those things I wouldn't call respect. I don't have "respect" for the man who looks like robbing me, even though I behave "respectfully" (trying to get away) -- the same I have respect for a friend.

“ What does it take for you to love someone? ”

A bottle of vodka and an erection.

“ How does one earn your love? ”

By paying $200

“ By becoming worthy of you? ”

By becoming my bitch

You are such a whore.

“ How do you earn other people's love? By becoming worthy of them? ”

Well I guess it depends if we are talking about Eros or Agape.
There is purely instinctual emotion and then emotion born of reason.

I would say that being as close to their ideal or fulfilling a need, whether physical or psychological, is how one earns love.

Again a cost/benefit analysis is necessary.

So for you, it is something like, "Being a buxom brunette who can speak Greek and knows a lot of stuff *earns* you my love".

Would you stay with him?

Yes, I have done so before.

First of all, what does it mean to "defend or support or explain your religious convictions"?

Since we’re playing 200 questions… It’s when you can offer rational, logical arguments or empirical evidence in support of….

That would be nice, were it not that the empirical method is so unclear. Gathering empirical data and analyzing it depends on a certain methodology, and that methodology is itself an object to further empirical inquiry ...

Exactly. So ignorance results in the sense of mystery and creates the mystical.
Now imagine a faith where not even the “experts” can offer you anything but this.
There you have religion.

But I think the mess with religion doesn't come from the religious being unable to "explain" religion.

It is the multicultural discourse, the mixing of discourses that we now have, more intensely for the past 200 years or so, that brings in so much confusion.
What needs to be clarified and distinguished are the discourses.

If you have Culture A, living all by itself, leading its religious discourse DA, to its members, there is nothing mystical about it, they understand it.

But upon clashing with Culture B, which is leading religious discourse DB (which to the members of B is also fully understandable) -- to B, DA is mystical and inexplicable, while to A, DB is mystical and inexplicable.

Be it so that the two cultures become to live together (for whatever reason), they develop a common ground, while at the same time, the sphere of the "mystical and mysterious" emerges.

As DB is *not native* to A, A is likely to not develop an understanding for DB, and vice versa.

This is the nature of the mixture we are facing nowadays.

From my perspective most religious thinkers or the faithful in general don’t live up to the rules of their faith. They expect all the benefits and gifts but always fall short in paying for them or for sacrificing for their attainment.

In that case, it is wise to rethink your labelling them to be members of certain religions.

First of all, for an individual to be able to live a what he considers a decent life, a certain social harmony and cultural stability are necessary.
It does not happen that one could live happily in one's smug little house, while the world outside is at war.

In other words, most popular religions depend on a utopian environment and speak to an idealized human.
Out of touch with reality.

No, that was not my point at all. You were arguing for the individual, while I argued that the individual depends on society. An individual cannot prosper if the society (which is made of other individuals) is in decline.

“ Who are you to them that they should care what you think of them? ”

Who are you to me, to ask?

Who are they to me, for me to care if they care?

This line of questions is very revealing -- answers to them point at the general outlook one has towards people, the default position towards others.

(You are interested in the relation between individual and society, yes?)

“ On what grounds can you make any assertions about what should be believed? ”

A question is not an assertion.

I am a thinking human being.
On what grounds do you not make assertions or ask questions?
Why are you even here, then?

"I am a thinking human being." Strange, how rarely this is regarded as a valid justification to do something.

“ Can you be trusted? ”

It depends.

“ Do you trust anyone? ”

With difficulty and in time.

These questions were in relation to your demand to always be willing to renounce everything you believe. Namely, if one embraces such complete relativism, it becomes impossible to trust such a person, this person has difficulties trusting others, and such a person also loses trust in himself.

Of course, there is discordance between what we think and how we act.

Even a nihilist lives as if the world matters.
A sceptic acts as if there are absolute truths, even if he might reject them intellectually.

That's dreadfully inconsistent! How can one be both an empiricist and a relativist at the same time?

So why not have a god that exalts warfare and bloodshed?

If you read the Bible, you'll find plenty of kill-your-enemy.
The problem is that with the mixing of cultures and discourses, it has become unclear who exactly the enemy is. So whom to kill?

Just because someone does something in the name of God does not mean that God approves of this, or that God has ordered it. It also doesn't mean that those actions done in God's name can be put against God.

Why should man seek anyone’s approval to live out his nature or to create his own ideals?

You are assuming that God and man are foreigners, and don't really have anything to do with eachother.
That man is oppressed by God.

My line of thought was about ascribing responsibility. It happens someone says "God told me to do it", and people believe this, never questioning if the person's claims can be believed. As a result, both God and the person's claim are discarded.

History is full of this: The Christian Church conducted the Inquisition, and said they did it in God's name. What happened is that God was automatically blamed for what the Inquisition did in His name, and then some who did not agree with the Inquisition, discarded God on the basis of the claims that the Inquisition made.

As if it were automatically true that if someone says he is doing something in God's name, then it is true that God has ordered it, and God is responsible for it.

Few bothered to inquire whether the Inquisition truly did God's work, or whether it didn't and simply just said so while it had other motives.

You are speaking from the perspective of a belief in a God that disapproves of violence and hatred. A Christian god.

Not at all! There is this hippie Golden Retriever Syndrome notion of the Christian God being all lovey dovey to everyone and everything, no matter what. This is not true.

When talking about any ideology, we always have to distinguish between what the texts supposedly propose and what has been declared as that ideology by historically existing people.

For example, Christianity is often looked down on because people who call themselves Christians aren't what the Bible supposedly says they should be. Those are arguments made from perfectionism of performance.

And that's just it: Just because someone calls himself to be Christian does not make him one, and we should not simply blindly accept everyone to be what they say about themselves.

Yet a popular argument against Christianity is based excatly on this fallacy: "If someone calls himself a Christian, then he is a Christian. If this person lies, cheats, etc., then this means that Christianity approves of lying and cheating etc. Therefore, Christianity is to be discarded as immoral." -- This is fallacious thinking, based on the avoidance of personally finding out whether a person is what they proclaim to be.

I come to it from the perspective of acquiring an ideal’s or an ideology’s worth by observing its results.

Again, you are letting the object of your observation define what it is, without you inquring whether its claims are true or not.

If someone SAYS he is a Christian, you automatically regard him to be a Christian, without further investigation. This is bad investigatory work on your part.

Sure, Christianity and Communism are systems better suited for ant-like creatures but should we then make humanity into this ideal and should we expect humans today to live up to these standards?

Better suited for a certain kind of creatures. So, per you, people with a certain mentality exist, and THEN, on the basis of this mentality, they accept Christianity or Communism?

The Bible is purposefully written in ambiguous and easily reinterpreted language.

This is hard to support, if at all. It suggests a conspiracy theory. Of course, no conspiracy theory is refutable, but it also cannot be proven. It's better to drop the issue due to being unresolvable.

Why should the social system take precedence over the single individual?

Where do you get this from?!

The system are the members/individuals, the members/individuals are the system. It is them, they are it.

What will become of the individual, in time, if this social pressure persists?

He'll develop a more internal sense of what it means to be an individual (ie. he will feel special or unique without displaying much external signs of uniqueness), or he'll perish.

It's evolution, baby, only the strong survive.

Why do larger social constructs exude more influence over us than smaller more immediate social groupings?

This is so: If we are observing one single individual in his striving to survive, then this has little or no effect on the whole of society he is living in.

A certain group may have some influence.

But when a large group is striving to survive, this is more apparent. Even though the principles of its survival (making decisions, choosing, having values and preferences, ...) are the same as in a single individual, when applied on a grand scale, it looks far more drastic.

If an individual is striving to survive, it is no big thing. If a big company or corporation is doing the same thing, the effect can be enormous -- while the principles are the same.

And here is the problem: rampant procreation, a defence of the weakest within the herd, and an absence of frontiers.
Rats trapped in a cage.

Then certain ideologies and faiths become important to the harmony of the whole.

A recipe for disaster.

Why a recipe for disaster? Disaster strikes because individuals don't actually keep to the rules they otherwise claim to be keeping to. Not because the rules would be too hard too keep -- but because one, as an individual, in the short term perspective, CAN get away with not keeping them.

People like to forget that they are not alone here, so they act is if they were alone and as if they can do just whatever they please. THIS IS the recipe for disaster.

This has nothing in particular to do with specific ideologies. An ideology is good if it enables the society keeping that ideology to prosper without endangering the environment they live in.

I’m more concerned about the individual member within the system.

And I'm saying the individual won't survive if the society won't survive. That is, one can't live alone, all by himself. One needs others, or the products of their work in order to survive -- at this state of technology.

I mean life itself punishes stupidity and uncooperative behaviour.
The group chastises and quarantines disruptive individuals without the need for greater retribution.
The creation of a Hell is only essential for people that cannot be controlled through reason because they have so little of it, and so require a greater threat.
It itself is the result of a weakening herd.

You allow weakness to procreate, you defend it and offer it rights and you get a population dominated by individuals with no self-discipline or little rational thought.
This leads to the requirement for more powerful methods of coercion.

This is where the movement for human rights lead to.

No no no. For example, discpline can be practiced, and practicing it does have its benefits. But I don't see why temporarily failing to live up to it should end in "disgrace and self-loathing". This happens only if the ideal is to be held to be more important than the person holding that ideal.

And isn’t this what the popular religions do?

No. This is what the popular understanding of religion does.

I don't see why that would be needed. I said "the way we *treat* God should be more approachable, more earthly and real". Instead of treating God like a foreigner and something unknowable, God shouldbe treated as something that can be known.

How can such an alien creature ever be known?

If you define it as "alien creature", then it indeed cannot be known. Such a definition excludes any progress of knowing God.

How can the imperfect even attempt to define perfection?

Why would they need to?

There’s nothing earthly about the Christian God, for instance.
They had to come up with Jesus to make him more real, more human.

You still insist on denoting the object to be "unearthly", while I've been going on about how we *treat* God, the way we *approach* God.
One can have a very earthly relationship even with divinity.

Stop thinking that the object defines the relationship: already observational distance tells you this is impossible. The relationship between two is defined in an interplay of one with another.

With God, you do your earthly, human part, and God does his divine part.

One mans justice is another’s injustice.

Reap the what the human rights movement has sown.

But it’s true that any social organization entails the need for discipline to particular ideas.

The question is which ones will lead to better results?

In this case, you have to specify what "better results" are. Greater population? Smaller population? Complete robotization? Immortality provided with scientific means?

That’s why I posited the question about which type of god would best serve mankind’s aspirations.

It's not clear what mankind's aspirations are. After all, One man's justice is another’s injustice.

-More unconsciousness than consciousness.
-An animal, training itself.
-A wonderful hypocrite.
-Nobility, pretending.
-A beast with table manners, a silk coat or gown and manicured fingers.
-A potty-trained pet.
-A fucking-machine with an overzealous imagination.
-A clown with a painted-on serious face.
-A great King, with a sock stuffed down his pants.
-Struggling neurosis, beneath; calm, confidence, on the surface.
-A zit waiting to be popped.
-A thespian that forgot his lines.
-A whore with dignity.
-A horrified imbecile hiding behind the walls he erects.
-An evolutionary experiment gone wrong.
-A terrible mistake gone right.
-A quadruped, standing on its hind legs raising its head to the air in arrogance and flashing its genitals.
-A poet with fetishes.
-A busy-body.
-Ennui creating its own entertainment.
-A genetic freak.
-An intellectual infant searching for a teat.
-Blind instinct, using what mind it has to explain itself.
-A puzzle solver that cuts his own pieces.
-A pawn thinking itself special because it sits one square in front of the queen.
-A barbarian with a sense of style.
-Hormones with humour.
-A shit-hole, calling it fertilizer.
-A moron with attitude.
-A dancer in an invisible ballet.
-God/Satan in the making.
-A wishing well.
-A road builder with a made-up destination.
-Neurons with too much time on their hands.

Oxymoronic analytical reductionisms ...

Bells said:
For example, the Christian Right has the power to make Bush dance and do as they bid.

Prove it.

It frightens me that so many people can allow themselves to be ruled by something that is totally unproven and frankly hearsay of the beliefs of others.

Everything, all human knowledge has the nature of hearsay.

But for them, it means they all belong. It means that their pitiful life on this planet will end and paradise awaits them behind the pearly gates.

Religion and a belief in a deity gives them something to look forward to and it also gives them something and someone to blame when it all goes invariably wrong.

It is not true that the reasons you think they have for being religious are necessarily the reasons they think they are religious.

What you have stated above is what you think that it would take *you* to become religious. It does not mean that those same reasons operate in other people who are religious.

Personally, I think none. Mankind can only benefit itself when it frees itself from the shackles of religion and sees the potential to exist and improve by its own hands and means. Religion is a constraint preventing mankind from reaching it's full potential. We are restricted by religious dogmas.

What is mankind's full potential?

Prove it. Scientifically.

And who are you to determine or critique any other religion?

And who are you?

The fact that he does not participate in the religious forum does not deny him the right or ability to ask the question.

Where did you get this from? Who is denying him anything? You are making up a case that is not here.

On the contrary, he is approaching the subject with open eyes, untainted by the psychotic religious fervour that we are always witness to in this forum. If you believe a religion is worthy of following then you follow it because you are free to do so. If Wanderer disagrees, he is free to voice that opinion. Just as you have your prejudices of others and their religion, does not mean that others will not critique you and your own.

Your point?

Sigh... Chaos is constant Water.

Prove it, honey-boney.

Give me one example where human society has come up with some kind of order? Just one. An appearance or semblance of order does not mean that order exists. There is always a constant flow of chaos. After all, without chaos, we would never be able to recognise even a semblance of order. Order is a wish, a want for a calm in the storm that is life and society. But while order may be placed in one aspect of society, next door chaos reigns.

That something is described as "ordered" or "organized" is a matter of the methodological grid which we put on objective reality when observing it.
The human mind is a pattern-finder, it will find patterns, and thus (some kind of) order anywhere.

To claim that objective reality is chaotic would be to claim that 1. one has direct knowledge of it, and 2. that the human mind is not a pattern-finder.

If anything, the term "chaotic" makes sense when we are trying to say that we don't like the order in which we have found something.

It is always "up to the people", it's not like some unearthly entity comes and regularly gravely interfers with people's lives.

That's where you are wrong. Some unearthly entity does regularly interfere with people's lives.

Wow. So you do believe in unearthly entities gravely interferring with people's lives?

It is the person's belief in such an entity that makes the interference in their own lives and the lives of others.

That's not the same:

A: Some unearthly entity does regularly interfere with people's lives.
B: It is the person's belief in such an entity that makes the interference in their own lives and the lives of others.

A and B are not the same.

I'll give you an example. I don't believe in religion or in any religious deity for that matter. I was brought up a Catholic by very strict Catholic parents and when I began to regonise and understand the world around me, I realised that I did not 'just believe'. I have other family members who've converted to all these other faiths that I've lost count. But that's their concern and I'm happy being an atheist. It's who I am. Now 2 months ago, I found out that my boyfriend of 3 years and myself were expecting a child. It came as a shock to us as I was not supposed to be able to have a child, but it's become a welcome shock (morning sickness aside that is) and we are now getting our home ready and prepared for this child of ours. However this is where 'some unearthly entity comes and gravely interfers with' my life. I have one cousin who's unfortunately married to a religious fanatic who now thinks that his farts are blessings from his God. This man has become the bane of my existence. Last week, I was resting after some complications with the pregnancy and short and constant hospital stays and my significant other had gone to buy some grapes as they are the only thing that I can currently keep down. So there I was lying in bed, trying to will myself into thinking that I really did not want to throw up regardless of what my stomach was doing, when someone knocked on my apartment door. I stumbled to said door and opened it to find my dear fanatical relative standing there with Bible thrust forward as though it were a shield and his nostrils flared like a bull in heat. To say I was shocked to the point of forgetting that I wanted to vomit would be an understatement. I attempted to shut my door in his face when he barged in and pushed me aside and started screaming that I was an evil heathen who needed to be prayed on to ensure that the poor child I'm carrying would not be a devil heathen like myself. I asked him to leave and he refused and the next thing I knew all these other people started streaming into my apartment, people I'd never met before, telling me that I must let God in. He'd bought half of his equally fanatically religious prayer group to my house to drive God into me. My attempts to get to my phone to call the police were prevented when they grabbed hold of me and forced me to sit on my couch and they then tried to 'lay their hands on me'. Usually I'd have been kicking and screaming like a wild animal at this point but I was in a lot of pain and frankly not my best at that point... they'd caught me at my weakest. My neighbour who'd often in the last few weeks seen me leaving in an ambulance due to complications with this pregnancy thankfully heard them ranting and my repeated pleas for them to leave and came rushing into my flat with a cricket bat. My neighbour is a sweet 70 year old gentleman who thankfully managed to appear maniacle enough to drive them out of my house. I have reported the incident to the police and thankfully they're treating it seriously. I can laugh about this now, but these freak's beliefs in that unearthly entity and what their particular religion dictates is what drove them to interfer with my life and my freedom to live my life as I see fit. Their belief in that deity is what dictated their actions. Therefore in a way, that unearthly being did interfer with my life. While we can say yes it is up to the people, people are also driven by their beliefs in their God and their religion and will act as what their religion says their God dictates. Do you see the connection there? While a God or deity does not interfer directly in people's lives, it and belief in it interfers in other ways through the actions of others.

Relegation of responsibility.

They could also say that, for example, Satan is driving you to do the things you do.
And they would be equally right about you as you are about them.

If you agree that everyone is entitled to have his opinion and to hold his own values and preferences -- then what the hell are you complaining about?

Man always changes. We would not have evolved if it were not for change. You'd still be rubbing two stones together in a cave if your ancestors did not change and adapt to that change.

But you have not answered WHY man MUST change.

cole grey said:
Your point that humans need to evolve, and our perspectives of God must evolve is correct. That doesn't show that God must change, by any means.

We could make coherent claims about how God has to change only if we claim full knowledge of God. This is not the case.

WANDERER said:
“ Why void? ”

Irony, sarcasm, playfulness, facetiousness, escape you.

No. My mind is just set to investigate.
Only good that I'm wearing my pink shirt. Or I'd be as sarcastic as you are, ironically.

All beliefs should be your own and the product of your own personal journey and struggle, with the usual influences and pressures from without.

This happens anyway.

Current religions take an empty mind and shape it.

What exactly do you mean? Adult converts, or children being brought up religiously by religious parents?

It’s surprising that anyone manages to break free at all.
For me it was a case of chance.
I was brought up in an Orthodox Christian environment by my mother, but my father’s voice of dissent placed the germ of doubt in me early on.
I had two opposing world views available to me and this prevented whatever indoctrination occurs in others.

No matter how you are brought up, you are brought up with some ideology that defines your mind to a greater or lesser extent, depending on how consistent your experience of that ideology was. No matter what that ideology was.

Changing paths, turning away from that ideology has little to do with that particular ideology, but much more with character.
This is, of course, only an observation I have made so far.

A non-religiuos upbringing is just as ideolgically determined as a religious; only that it is determined in some other way, with another content. People "escape" non-religious burgeois snobbery, small-town negativism etc. with the same kind of effort it takes to "escape" Orthodox Christianity or Buddhism -- and embrace some other ideology.
One cannot be ideologically neutral.

True religion is one of the cultural elements that bind us to one another.

In that case, the distinction between institutionalized and personal religion is useful.

Note that most religions can be practiced in both ways, and to the outiside, both kinds of practices look the same.

The distinction is in how the individual experiences his own religion: whether he sees it a form, a set of rules he is used to obey; or whether his own religion is to him a personal choice, something he has embraced into his heart.

Maybe a distinction must be made here, if any can be, between religion and spirituality.

Of course! What is usually regarded as "religion" -- by this, it is often meant the institution of religion itself. Which is impersonal, abstract, a philosophical construct that resides only in theory.
Spirituality would then be a person's *living* his faith, his belief.

Funny thing is that for most this is the only thing “keeping them in check”.

To say Man created and invented God to keep man in check. -- this reveals what the mind which has produced this statement thinks of God. As if God were some watch dog, a necessary evil.

If the usual methods of population control cannot be allowed to function and the creation of larger and larger amounts of idiots becomes a way of maintaining cultural viability, then some form of a simplistic deity is important for the masses.

But I am not talking for them. I am talking about the rest that find these spiritual dogmas as too simple or constricting and are looking for something else.

People tend to do what pleases them, and they will interpret any rule so that it suits them best. This is not the rule's fault. The rule cannot supervise the way it is followed or set in practice.

I know why religion is attractive because I've felt the attraction.
So?

It is still a matter of your specific individual experience. It does not mean that the way it was for you is also for everyone else.

The economic structures which keep us glued to material concerns and force us into a nine-to-five existence, benefit the overall social structure but do they sacrifice the individual for it?

But what would the individual do if he had more time on his hands?
Nowadays, he would shop, play videogames, eat fast food or watch tv even more than he already does.

Actually, I have an answer to your question:

"What type of deity will benefit mankind and raise him above what he is?"

It is not about "type of deity" but about the way man approaches deity.

I swear, if I were God and people would come drooling to me, crawling before me, feeling sorry for themselves, asking me for things while not having the least trust in me -- I'd bloody smite them and teach them a lesson. If I were God, I would despise those who would behave like wosses towards me.

water said:
If a mathematical equation/description can be produced to describe the motion of something -- can that thing still be regarded "chaotic"?

And don't they have mathematic equations/descriptions even for the movement of birds picking on a heap of seeds?

Where exactly is the chaos then?
How do I find chaos, when for everything, mathematical descriptions can be produced?
Chaos theory is actually a branch of mathematics.

"Chaos is an example of a broad class of phenomena called dynamical systems. Such systems can be described in terms of their state, including all relevant information about them at a particular time, and an equation, or dynamic, that governs the evolution of the state in time. The motion of the state, in turn, can be represented by a moving point following an orbit in what is called state space. The orbits of non-chaotic systems are simple curves in state space. For example, the orbit of a simple pendulum in state space is a spiral ending at a point when the pendulum comes to rest. A pendulum clock describes a cyclic, or periodic, orbit, as does the human heart. Other systems move on the surface of a torus in state space. Each of these structures characterizing the long-term behavior of the system in state space - the point, the cycle, the torus - is called an attractor since the system, if nudged, will tend to return to this structure as it continues to move in time. Such systems are said to be predictable." - Counterbalance Foundation; see also their introductory article on chaos theory.​

No no no. Living systems, as long as they are living systems, are organized by some kind of order, and this order emerges from them being living systems.
(Note: we are making these statements while observing the system from the outside. System elements don't have this sort of perspective available.)

There is no such thing as "Left to itself, everything will eventually return to the way it was". From an extrasystemic perspective, every system is always "left to itself".
Yes, this is an ex post observation, "extra-systemic" as you say. But such objectivity is impossible from within the system. All we can see is that people, left to themselves, are just as likely to generate disorder as order.

I agree with you, but I account for that belief by my faith that God "ordered" life from the surrounding chaos, and thus we exhibit order. We are not "fundamentally" ordered, ex ante, because we are alive.

I swear, if I were God and people would come drooling to me, crawling before me, feeling sorry for themselves, asking me for things while not having the least trust in me -- I'd bloody smite them and teach them a lesson. If I were God, I would despise those who would behave like wosses towards me.
But if you were a parent, and your small child would come "drooling to you, crawling before you, feeling sorry for themselves, asking you for things", you might not smite them, but while affirming their worth show them patiently to ask politely and sincerely.

Wanderer

Yes a distinction must be made between religion and spirituality. Unfortunately and disturbingly religion has seen fit to hijack the notion of spirituality and claim it as it's own in that to be spiritual is to be connected or concerned with God or other deity. In this sense, one cannot be spiritual within one's self but must be spiritual with God. You're right, a distinction must be made but it's been so tainted now with religion that it will most probably forever influence any person's distinction of spirituality.

Man will always find something to worship. Be it a deity or a material item. Some don't worship a God but worship himself, wealth or money instead. Worshipping or deitifying something helps bring the masses to agreement and atonement. Population control won't help because idiots will continue to be born and created by their environment. And preventing or controlling the population to ensure lesser idiots coming forth will only ensure that one bigger idiot will see it as a cause and deitify the cause or some person or item to rally the idiots to push to be able to have or create more idiots. By allowing any form of deity as a method of control does not really give control, as other idiots who believe or worship another deity will always fight another to ensure that their deity and belief becomes supreme. Balance must be sought.

Then the search must continue for each individual, by each individual. In that, we are individualistic, because it is up to each individual to find their own truth. Instead of attaching oneself to another and their truths, people should partake in their own spiritual journey to find themselves and their own 'something else'.

Water
Prove it.
Don't follow politics much do you? But as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Everything, all human knowledge has the nature of hearsay.
It is? My!! Now that is a curious claim. So when I stick my nose in a rose to see if I can get a whiff of fragrance and smell the rose's perfume, that is hearsay? Or would it be that I gained the knowledge that that particular rose has a scent because I personally sought out that knowledge by sticking my nose within it's petals and inhaling deeply? It may be hearsay to read about a fragrance in a book and gain that knowledge that way, but when one actually seeks out a rose or any flower and inhales, that knowledge is gained through experience and having actually lived it to tell about it afterwards. Lets just say that a 1 year old child is sitting on the grass and is bitten on the butt by an ant and no one has warned it of the danger of a possible bite and the child cannot read about it in any book. That child has gained the knowledge that that ant could bite. That knowledge was gained through experience and not through hearsay. While a lot of human knowledge is gained through hearsay, most human knowledge is actually gained through actually living life and experiencing it. After all, I'm sure that if you were kicked in the nuts, the knowledge that it would hurt would come from actually experiencing that pain and not from having been told it would hurt or from reading about it somewhere or other.

It is not true that the reasons you think they have for being religious are necessarily the reasons they think they are religious.

What you have stated above is what you think that it would take *you* to become religious. It does not mean that those same reasons operate in other people who are religious.
To use your own words, "prove it". How do you know that it's not true that reasons for being religious is what one gets as the end result? I personally am not religious even though I'd been taught from an early age that to be religious and pious would result in my going to heaven. For me such teachings were just rules to keep me in line. I never bought it. Just as a child believes that if they are good Santa will get them what's on their list, many adults believe that if they are good, God will reward them with a lovely afterlife. Now we all know that the shiny new bike under the Christmas tree was not delivered and set up by Santa but my mummy and daddy who stayed up all night to put it together. I guess it's up to each individual to decide if they are good whether there is a heaven to go to or if it actually was a means to ensure that one behaves accordingly and sticks to the rules, much like the child wishing against all hope that if they clean their room and don't talk back, Santa will give them that bike.

What is mankind's full potential?
That is up to each individual to decide for themselves. After all, if we were to live up to the religious expectations placed on society as a whole, science would never have advanced to what it has today. Each individual who in the past defied the religious rulers of their time and actually studied and developed science reached their own full potential to benefit mankind today. I'll have reached my full potential when I've reached my deathbed knowing that I've lived my life as I saw fit and done what I've wanted to do and learned as much about life through having experiencing it. But that's just me. I'm sure each person has their own idea of how they'd have reached their full potential in life.

Prove it. Scientifically.
Seeing that no one has yet proven that God does in fact exist leads one to see that it is the figment of man's imagination. Ancient tribes had their shamans who'd tell them that unless they sacrificed an animal or a person, the hunting would be bad as the Gods would punish them is one example. Look at the witch trials in history where women were killed by the hundreds and you'll see a perfect example of man's creation of God to keep the population in check and ensure that they live by the rules. Hell, look at the Act of Contrition which Catholics recite..

"O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life."

Hmmm... 'dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell'.. No wonder they're on their knees asking for penance. The early Catholic Church sure knew how to ensure the plebs kept in line.

And who are you?
I am me.

Where did you get this from? Who is denying him anything? You are making up a case that is not here.
I am merely remarking on a comment you made earlier.

Your point?
You've obviously missed it.

Prove it, honey-boney.
How deliciously condescending of you.

Wow. So you do believe in unearthly entities gravely interferring with people's lives?
Yes, I actually believe in the Easter Bunny. As for believing in God, the answer to that is no. But then again, I came to that conclusion through living my life and seeing for myself.

A: Some unearthly entity does regularly interfere with people's lives.
B: It is the person's belief in such an entity that makes the interference in their own lives and the lives of others.
A and B are the same in that without one, there wouldn't be the other.

They could also say that, for example, Satan is driving you to do the things you do.
And they would be equally right about you as you are about them.
Ah but they do say it. But as I don't believe in God, I also do not believe in Satan. So as far as I am concerned they are wrong.

If you agree that everyone is entitled to have his opinion and to hold his own values and preferences -- then what the hell are you complaining about?
They can say and believe what they like, but do not come to my house and storm in uninvited and try and ram it down my throat. I do not discuss my belief or lack of with them, they should respect that and reciprocate in kind. But I guess that like the Jehovah's Witnesses that come pounding on my door at 8am in the morning, they just love to share and convert. How would you like it if people came to your house and rang you day and night screaming what they think you are and what you should be? One may be entitled to one's opinion and belief or disbelief. However one is not allowed to try and ram it down the throats of others. I have a lot to complain about. My right to live my life as I wish and my privacy has and is being constantly invaded by unwelcome individuals demanding that I conform to what they are. I do not expect any believer to disbelieve because I don't believe. If you wish to believe then you are free to do so. Knock yourself out. Don't expect me to believe as you or anyone else does.

But you have not answered WHY man MUST change.
Man will and must change when man feels it's right to do so. Man must change to adapt to life itself and to their surroundings. That is constant. If man does not change or adapt, than man cannot continue to exist. For example, lets look at our current environment. If man does not change it's ways, then man will destruct the environment man currently calls home.

Bells
Yes a distinction must be made between religion and spirituality. Unfortunately and disturbingly religion has seen fit to hijack the notion of spirituality and claim it as it's own in that to be spiritual is to be connected or concerned with God or other deity. In this sense, one cannot be spiritual within one's self but must be spiritual with God. You're right, a distinction must be made but it's been so tainted now with religion that it will most probably forever influence any person's distinction of spirituality.
I would say that the degradation of spirituality and it being monopolized by a few, powerful dogmas mirrors a general degradation in human thought, also observable in political discourse in the US.

How two parties can represent the aspirations, beliefs and interests of 300 million people, where in nations with only 1/10 the population the US has, 10, 15 or even 20 parties often compete for political power, is beyond me.

What happens, in these cases, is that thinking is simplified and so can be expressed with a few religious or political positions.
That’s when we get superficial labels, such as conservative, and liberal, that encompass everything from economic to social beliefs.

If you are liberal you are pro-gay, pro-abortion, anti-elitist, altruistic, socially conscious, anti-war. The entirety of your belief system is sacrificed so as to accommodate the masses and so that your preferred beliefs are represented in order of importance.

This happens in spirituality, as well, even though there is a larger representation of diversity found here. Surprisingly.

Man will always find something to worship. Be it a deity or a material item. Some don't worship a God but worship himself, wealth or money instead. Worshipping or deitifying something helps bring the masses to agreement and atonement. Population control won't help because idiots will continue to be born and created by their environment. And preventing or controlling the population to ensure lesser idiots coming forth will only ensure that one bigger idiot will see it as a cause and deitify the cause or some person or item to rally the idiots to push to be able to have or create more idiots. By allowing any form of deity as a method of control does not really give control, as other idiots who believe or worship another deity will always fight another to ensure that their deity and belief becomes supreme. Balance must be sought.
The only way out of this cycle is to amputate yourself from it.

water
Only about what you think you know about him.
Who knows, he could be a payed actor.
Every mind lives with the boundaries of his perceptions and the limitations of his mind.

But I would say that his opinion of himself is just as susceptible to error and misinterpretation.

See, those things I wouldn't call respect. I don't have "respect" for the man who looks like robbing me, even though I behave "respectfully" (trying to get away) -- the same I have respect for a friend.
There’s an intimidation founding both these instances.

You respect what threatens you because you fear what it might do. You respect your friend because he offers you something you need and are afraid of losing it. You respect what you admire because you fear its superiority and what it might do with it.

Friendship, or any relationship based on camaraderie and trust, is based on reciprocal connections based on desire and emotional or physical need.

You are such a whore.
Man-Whore. :eek:

So for you, it is something like, "Being a buxom brunette who can speak Greek and knows a lot of stuff *earns* you my love".
Do you know anyone like that?!

Yes, I have done so before.
And then what happened?

That would be nice, were it not that the empirical method is so unclear. Gathering empirical data and analyzing it depends on a certain methodology, and that methodology is itself an object to further empirical inquiry ...
Except for nihilism, do you have an alternative?
Or should we rely on blind faith and luck?

But I think the mess with religion doesn't come from the religious being unable to "explain" religion.

It is the multicultural discourse, the mixing of discourses that we now have, more intensely for the past 200 years or so, that brings in so much confusion.
What needs to be clarified and distinguished are the discourses.
What discourses are occurring are a result of a general decline in religious need and in dogmatic power.
Religions thrive in desperate, deprived times, where the mind grasps to any morsel of hope it can find.
In times of abundance and security, religions decline and the sciences become dominant.

This is why ‘born-again-Christians’ are almost always the product of a life altering traumatic event.

It is part of the regular historical cycle.
Currently the western world of Christianity is going through a golden age –in decline- and so we see religion being questioned and spirituality being a source of experimentation and debate.
In the Islamic world the reverse is true as it was in the west in past times.

Need is not a good enough argument for truth.

If you have Culture A, living all by itself, leading its religious discourse DA, to its members, there is nothing mystical about it, they understand it.

But upon clashing with Culture B, which is leading religious discourse DB (which to the members of B is also fully understandable) -- to B, DA is mystical and inexplicable, while to A, DB is mystical and inexplicable.
Ergo, individual from culture-A will have little difficulty in explaining to individual from culture-B, its belief.
But, what most often is meant by ‘understanding’ in a feeling derived through indoctrination.
When real understanding is possible explanation is clear and concise. Where the mind thinks it understands because it feels it, explanation seems impossible to a third, unaffected observer who does not share in the feeling. Then it becomes ambiguous and allegoric.

The old strategy of claiming that God is only comprehensible to one that believes in Him, is a clever ploy.

No, that was not my point at all. You were arguing for the individual, while I argued that the individual depends on society. An individual cannot prosper if the society (which is made of other individuals) is in decline.
This is only true when there is no possibility for escape.
Then the individual is trapped and his fortune inexorably linked to the social unit.

This line of questions is very revealing -- answers to them point at the general outlook one has towards people, the default position towards others.

(You are interested in the relation between individual and society, yes?)
Particularly revealing when it was you that made the indirect assault by saying:
“ Who are you to them that they should care what you think of them? ”

"I am a thinking human being." Strange, how rarely this is regarded as a valid justification to do something.
Stranger still how most minds need a "valid justification" to do anything.
What is a “valid justification” as opposed to an invalid one?

These questions were in relation to your demand to always be willing to renounce everything you believe. Namely, if one embraces such complete relativism, it becomes impossible to trust such a person, this person has difficulties trusting others, and such a person also loses trust in himself.
Enter nihilism, the natural result of a mind searching for what cannot be found or for things it has created within it.

The remedy?
The mind lives on two levels.
It can renounce absolutism and yet live in accordance with it.

But renouncing “everything” should not include self and being critical does not always entail non-acceptance.
Sometimes we love things just because they are imperfect.

That's dreadfully inconsistent! How can one be both an empiricist and a relativist at the same time?
How one is forced to live and what necessities his physical being forces upon them, is separate from what one wants to live like and to what breadth his mind can surpass the physical.
The boundaries of the mind are not the same as those of the body.

Empiricism and relativism are not inconsistent with each other, if one doesn’t take them to their extremes.
One can acknowledge the relativity of empiricism and still think of it as the best way towards understanding and awareness.

Anyways, the human condition is inherently self-contradicting; unless delusion and extremism are employed to create the illusion of consistency.

If you read the Bible, you'll find plenty of kill-your-enemy.
The problem is that with the mixing of cultures and discourses, it has become unclear who exactly the enemy is. So whom to kill?
In other words, the answers are left up to the reader or the interpreter so as to make the document relevant throughout history and easily adaptable to varying circumstances.

Weren’t the priestesses at Delphi one of the first to discover the power of ambiguity and poetic language?

You are assuming that God and man are foreigners, and don't really have anything to do with eachother.
That man is oppressed by God.
The Judeo-Christian God and the Muslim God is.

My line of thought was about ascribing responsibility. It happens someone says "God told me to do it", and people believe this, never questioning if the person's claims can be believed. As a result, both God and the person's claim are discarded.

History is full of this: The Christian Church conducted the Inquisition, and said they did it in God's name. What happened is that God was automatically blamed for what the Inquisition did in His name, and then some who did not agree with the Inquisition, discarded God on the basis of the claims that the Inquisition made.

As if it were automatically true that if someone says he is doing something in God's name, then it is true that God has ordered it, and God is responsible for it.

Few bothered to inquire whether the Inquisition truly did God's work, or whether it didn't and simply just said so while it had other motives.
Another thing is insinuating that the ideal is perfect, even if the idealist does not live up to it or misinterprets it.

For me the need to separate the belief from the resulting believer is disingenuous.

Every belief and every ideal, as it speaks to a particular species – in this case human – creates particular results.
The dogma, as it reacts with the human mind and its instinctual/intellectual predispositions, manifests itself through particular psychological types.

Sure we can say that gunpowder, on its own, is really a harmless substance and is not to blame for what happens when it comes into contact with fire, but what if fire created it in the first place and so its only domain is when it combines to fire?

We can say that in idealized universe gunpowder might result in something wonderful, if mixed with water or some other element, but we can only imagine it when, in this universe, fire is all there is.

More clearly: Communists, Fascists or any ideologist can claim that it wasn’t the ideology that was at fault but how it was interpreted and practiced by imperfect ideologists.
Here the idea is saved by blaming the interpreter of the idea and the insinuation remains as to its infallibility, if it is understood correctly and if the right circumstances are accessible to it.

My argument is that an idea creates the essence of what it is, even if it clouds itself in vagueness. Christianity or any ideal is only as good as the minds it results in, in the real world.

Not at all! There is this hippie Golden Retriever Syndrome notion of the Christian God being all lovey dovey to everyone and everything, no matter what. This is not true.
Are you saying that the Christian God, as he has been portrayed as Love, is a consequence of an erroneous interpretation?
Are you saying that God and Satan are one and the same and that evil existing in spite of Him is a mistake? That evil exists because of him, instead?

Again, you are letting the object of your observation define what it is, without you inquring whether its claims are true or not.

If someone SAYS he is a Christian, you automatically regard him to be a Christian, without further investigation. This is bad investigatory work on your part.
Here you are using the strategy of ‘superior interpretation’ to defend your faith.
All contradictions to the ideal are to be blamed on misinterpretation, whereas your interpretation is to be deemed closer to its ‘truth’.
Once again the incessant need to define ones self as the knower of Gods mind, as a distinct entity more closely associated with the Almighty, than anyone else.

“I know the truth! I know the truth!!!”
“What is it then?”
“In order for you to know the truth, you must believe in it first.”
“What truth?”
“THE Truth! My truth!”
“What about his or hers?”
“They are misguided and have read the Scripture wrong. For this they will face the consequences. But my truth will lead to salvation. I have deciphered the word.”
“But the word is purposefully indecipherable. How can a beast read the words of man?”
“Blasphemy!! How can you live with such cynicism? Hell on Earth is your just reward! Believe in my interpretation of the word and I can save you from eternal damnation. But more than this, I can save you from your self.”
“Then why do you not save yourself and lead me to salvation through your example? Why do I need to save myself from my self, when it has been created by Him?”
“Infidel! I am not the one that leads, God is. Man cannot know the purposes of omnipotence.”
“God who?”
“You are lost, my friend. To know Him you must surrender to Him! To see Him you must seek Him!”
“But then I know only my need and I see what I want to see.”
“Your endless questioning is your downfall. You are the creator of your own misery.”
“Then is He absolved of all responsibility? The creation of my creation is doubly my own. The son suffers for the sins of the father.”

Better suited for a certain kind of creatures. So, per you, people with a certain mentality exist, and THEN, on the basis of this mentality, they accept Christianity or Communism?
The thing with memes is that they originate from a specific mind, which is influenced by fastidious environments and has certain psychological characteristics.
In turn, these memes find fertile ground in minds that share in these particulars and, where resistance is found, it creates the institutions and the threat/rewards essential to its proliferation.

Then memes become self-reliant, in that they adapt and evolve in response to external threats and emerging environments.

This is hard to support, if at all. It suggests a conspiracy theory. Of course, no conspiracy theory is refutable, but it also cannot be proven. It's better to drop the issue due to being unresolvable.
Let’s use logic instead.
The Bible was written by a human hand.
Now, if we put aside the remarkable claim that it was recited into the minds of the authors by a divine voice, let us assume that the mind of the author guided the hand writing it.
A human mind has needs, motivations, desires, interests and inclinations.

Any document of importance, attempts to make itself understood and it is direct and clear in its usage of language.
The Bible is written using symbolism, allegory, metaphor and a variety of indirect language which many today debate over and argue about.

Now, either god hasn’t mastered the human language or the unclear language can be a result of purpose, whether godly or human.

You choose.
Unless, of course, you do not perceive allegory in the Bible and interpret it literally.
That opens up a whole other can of worms.

One must wonder why Nostradamus wasn’t more precise in his predictions and chose broad imagery and symbolism.
Why do you think? Was it a conspiracy that can’t be proven or can we deduce the reasons, taking into account physics and human nature?

Where do you get this from?!

The system are the members/individuals, the members/individuals are the system. It is them, they are it.
So you believe that an individuals interests always correlate to the groups interest?
Or does the group interest always take into account every individuals interest within it?

I participate in the system but I do not like stopping on red lights.
If I do not the system punishes me.
How am I the system?

He'll develop a more internal sense of what it means to be an individual (ie. he will feel special or unique without displaying much external signs of uniqueness), or he'll perish.

It's evolution, baby, only the strong survive.
In other words, he’ll surpass his individuality. What you call internalization.

Strength is relative to environment and it all depends on what you mean by it.

One can say that herd animals, give up independence of movement and participate in large groups to enhance their survivability.
But is this strength or a weakness adapting to environments and responding to threats they cannot face on their own?

In this case the individual loses a little of the sense of being an individual, in order to survive within a group. It sacrifices its individuality for survivability.

This because genes aren’t interested in individuality, per se, but in the propagation of themselves. This makes it possible for a mother to sacrifice her own survival for the continuance of her genes within her offspring.
Just as memes aren’t interested in the minds that hold them but in the propagation of the meme itself. This makes it possible for an individual to sacrifice himself for an ideal or a belief.

Here is where the conflict between mind and body takes place and why there is discordance between what one believes and how one lives ones life.
Human contradiction comes to be.

A distinction must be made between physical strength and mental strength.
In the first case, the strong truly survive. In the second case, this isn’t always the case.

It would appear that intellectual strength can lead to fitness but, it can also become the victim of its own success. Mind is often self-destructive and the questions it asks, when it is freed from the pressures of immediate survival, might result in madness and discontent.
The death drive, as Freud put it.

A mind might even question the reasons it acts the way it does and it might need reasons to justify its acts to itself.

I can only explain it as a result of a discordance between the evolutionary result and the environment it was meant for.
See here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=45522

Why a recipe for disaster? Disaster strikes because individuals don't actually keep to the rules they otherwise claim to be keeping to. Not because the rules would be too hard too keep -- but because one, as an individual, in the short term perspective, CAN get away with not keeping them.

People like to forget that they are not alone here, so they act is if they were alone and as if they can do just whatever they please. THIS IS the recipe for disaster.
The question is whose rules are we to follow and why?

And I'm saying the individual won't survive if the society won't survive. That is, one can't live alone, all by himself. One needs others, or the products of their work in order to survive -- at this state of technology.
Obviously man is a social creature – a product of weakness itself – and I’m not advocating solitude or becoming a hermit; even though both these options are not available to us currently.

I’m saying the size of the group you relate to and associate with determines your individuality and importance within it.

No. This is what the popular understanding of religion does.
Isn’t popular understanding, most often, forced upon individuals?
Am I a Christian because of choice or because of popular trends?

Why would they need to?
How can you know something without defining it?
When you say you know something, you are saying you’ve conceptualized it, created a mental abstract interpretation of it and you can explain it.

When you feel or intuit things you don’t know them, you know the feeling only and imagine what it is caused by or you connect it to a pre-existing concept.

You still insist on denoting the object to be "unearthly", while I've been going on about how we *treat* God, the way we *approach* God.
One can have a very earthly relationship even with divinity.

Stop thinking that the object defines the relationship: already observational distance tells you this is impossible. The relationship between two is defined in an interplay of one with another.

With God, you do your earthly, human part, and God does his divine part.
I’m not talking about how one relates to a concept but how the concept is defined.

In this case, you have to specify what "better results" are. Greater population? Smaller population? Complete robotization? Immortality provided with scientific means?
Intellectual enhancement.
Independence.

Oxymoronic analytical reductionisms ...
Better than your moronic, superficial, projections….

What exactly do you mean? Adult converts, or children being brought up religiously by religious parents?
We don’t choose what faith we belong to, unless we rebel and find our own eventually.
Most of us are forced into religious camps and we wear the names that symbolize this belonging.

To say Man created and invented God to keep man in check. -- this reveals what the mind which has produced this statement thinks of God. As if God were some watch dog, a necessary evil.
And what is it, if not that?

People tend to do what pleases them, and they will interpret any rule so that it suits them best. This is not the rule's fault. The rule cannot supervise the way it is followed or set in practice.
Isn’t it?
Do rules create behaviours?
Do the rule makers create perfect rules?
Are rules always liveable?

But what would the individual do if he had more time on his hands?
Nowadays, he would shop, play videogames, eat fast food or watch tv even more than he already does.
That’s only because there are too many rules and too many people.
There’s a connection there.

It is not about "type of deity" but about the way man approaches deity.
How one approaches something is determined by what that something is.

I approach a puppy with glee, affection and playfulness. I approach a wolf with care, seriousness and respect.

WANDERER said:
What sort of God would exemplify mankind’s desire to become master of his own domain and willing inheritor of eternity and the responsibility contained in it?
I would like to share my views regarding the above question. The God of gods can exemplify man`s desires to become master of his own domain eternally.

WANDERER said:
Bells
I would say that the degradation of spirituality and it being monopolized by a few, powerful dogmas mirrors a general degradation in human thought, also observable in political discourse in the US.

How two parties can represent the aspirations, beliefs and interests of 300 million people, where in nations with only 1/10 the population the US has, 10, 15 or even 20 parties often compete for political power, is beyond me.

What happens, in these cases, is that thinking is simplified and so can be expressed with a few religious or political positions.
That’s when we get superficial labels, such as conservative, and liberal, that encompass everything from economic to social beliefs.

If you are liberal you are pro-gay, pro-abortion, anti-elitist, altruistic, socially conscious, anti-war. The entirety of your belief system is sacrificed so as to accommodate the masses and so that your preferred beliefs are represented in order of importance.

This happens in spirituality, as well, even though there is a larger representation of diversity found here. Surprisingly.

The only way out of this cycle is to amputate yourself from it.

water
Every mind lives with the boundaries of his perceptions and the limitations of his mind.

But I would say that his opinion of himself is just as susceptible to error and misinterpretation. etc...

Just a note: that the longest post Ive ever seen. Cool! :)

WANDERER said:
I wouldn’t normally post in a forum dedicated to a subject so restricting and repetitive and the entire idea of religion seems so infantile and simplistic a concept as to merit no further thought from me.

The above statement shows how "well" you understand the subject.

WANDERER said:
Nevertheless the idea of belief in god or gods is an essential part of the human condition. There exists a need, in each man, to reach out into the unknown and to offer sacrifices in return for some consideration and good fortune.
What you are talking about here is MAGIC (the golden boughhttp://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/, although supposedly outdated, has some definitions that still make sense), and although I admit many people still hold on to the god-as-drought-ender with the proper sacrifices, that is a pre-enlightenment idea of religion.

WANDERER said:
In times of trouble and of suffering each mind screams out into the darkness and listens for a response.
I don't expect a response, so you are further identifying with your masses of the religious than I am.

EDIT: This isn't a poorly placed barb, but a question - isn't your definition of religion a bit oversimplified?

WANDERER said:
The easiest way to define religious fervour is with one word: Hope.
I have a better word for what religion is becoming, and not by only basing my analysis on what it has been misconceived as...
The easiest way to define religious fervor, correctly understood, should be what you hint at later in your post -responsibility.

WANDERER said:
The question is: What type of deity will benefit mankind and raise him above what he is?

The question is: what type of man doesn't act the animal and can exist for something other than his own benefit, and is there such a thing? Also, how any group of animals could create a deity that acts this way.

Last edited:
Question no 2: When did mankind actually learn that the earth is round and it was hanged on nothing? If you could give the exact date, much better. Follow up question: show specific reliable data about this.

enton said:
Question no 2: When did mankind actually learn that the earth is round and it was hanged on nothing? If you could give the exact date, much better. Follow up question: show specific reliable data about this.

And what is the point of these questions?

water said:
And what is the point of these questions?
Hello. I am supposed to get an answer from you inasmuch as we are in sciforums. I am proving religiously speaking that the Bible is authentic and that God is existing.

enton said:
I am proving religiously speaking that the Bible is authentic and that God is existing.

Wow, that is quite a stretch. Perhaps you should think about what the word, "prove", implies.

P.S. water, I like your picture, did you take that? It looks like something you might think up for a shot.

cole grey said:
Wow, that is quite a stretch. Perhaps you should think about what the word, "prove", implies.

P.S. water, I like your picture, did you take that? It looks like something you might think up for a shot.
You made me laugh. There is no such thing as "Science vs. Religion."

I must have misunderstood your post, I thought you said you proved God's existence in that one sentence, which I find ridiculous.

Also, don't even begin to think I am a proponent of a science vs. religion argument.

P.S. If you did mean that you proved God's existence, please don't waste my time with lower level thinking, unless you are going to have the proper attitude.

Back