Questioning My Faith

"stream of consciousness" writing always produces something greater than what you, alone, can create. why? because it flows through your mind onto the page without conscious effort, and while it flows it draws upon everything you have ever read, heard, seen, tasted, felt... (carl jung would argue that you also came into this world with knowledge embedded in your unconscious that you draw from - knowledge from the beginning of humankind on earth.)

drawing upon everything is drawing upon the "collective." some people consider this wisdom of the "collective" to be part of what they call god. whether you label it like that or not, (using the word god or collective or whatever) it remains that your creative work includes knowledge that has accumulated from a higher source than just you -> from ALL of us.

taking sole credit for something you create is ignoring the contribution of the collective. it is also the reason so many people (unnecessarily) struggle with issues of pride.

when i didn't understand this i used to say,"damn! look at what i just wrote! i must be a friggen' genius." i know better now.

This may be a little off-topic, but what Kidsun just said is why I believe in free music.

Originally posted by New Life
Well, mainly because I have no idea how my own mind could have come up with some of it! some of it is obvious, like the basic 'jesus came to save the world from sin' rant, but there are things that i only know the basics of and suddenly I understand what is trying to be protrayed.
This gestalt experience is not unusual. There are various treatments, depictions, and explanations for it. In fact, it predominates in “Eastern” philosophy (meditation, Zen mind, the use of mandalas and koans, etc.) It is also well defined in “western” thought as well… composers and writers often call it their muse, athletes say they are in the “zone”. In short, one often may reach an epiphany (of thought and even action) by removing one’s conscious awareness from that which you are trying to accomplish. Taoism suggests that this is how you should live your entire life.

Also, I never wrote suddenly like that before I became a christian.
Be wary of attributing too much significance to what may simply be coincidence.

~Raithere

What is the meaning of life on Earth if there is an eternal life? Does 80 years on Earth really that important for one's eternity? Does your god really care what you have done in every pico second?

BTW, if you have $1 trilion trillion trillion dollor coins, do you really care there is a scratch on one of the pennies in your mightly bank vault?

Nymph

I must congratulate you on your realizations about the concept
of 'God'; however, it looks like it's left you in a very uncertain
state about your 'purpose'... or more specifically:

because if there really isn't a god then what's the point of living?

Let me see if I can provide just a few answers to this question:

A) The joy of caring for a loved one.
B) The thrill of exploring your world and universe.
C) The experience of having a water-fight with your friends.

Which basically means that you are in a wonderful position where
YOU define your own purpose(s) in life.

Back