Quantum Creationism -- Is It Science Or Is It Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, God is a made up character, and Mathematics is a made-up scientific language, kinda representing what happens in nature that we can observe. How it really happens no one knows, it's an impenetrable mystery

Can anyone here say anything about this at all? Seems I have greased the pan sufficiently.
Mathematics is not a scientific language. Some parts of mathematics are useful in science, viz. for modelling the behaviour of the physical world. But mathematics is abstract and bears no necessary relation to the physical world. This is what Feynman had to say about that:

Last edited:
If not, what is the distinction you're making between being "causal to..." and "causal to HOW..."?
The best I can do is voice my agreement with this;
What is Determinism?
Different philosophies exist to explain how the world works and why certain events occur in the manner they do. People make decisions often based on these philosophies, causing a debate over which may be the correct viewpoint. Determinism is one of the most popular philosophies to attempt to explore how factors in life are determined.
What is determinism? The determinism definition is a concept or doctrine based on the fact that what physically takes place is outside one's control. Determinists believe that a specific number of predetermined circumstances shape all actions and events, thus leading to what happens to the individual. All actions have a cause and can therefore be predicted. Determinism is used in many different fields, including philosophy, psychology, and even behavioral therapy.
Causality and Determinism
Determinism is related to the idea of causality, or the relationship between cause and effect. Philosophers believe determinism to be a stronger belief than causality because inevitably, it is defined by the belief of causality and extends its notions. The principle of determinism posits that everything which transpires is a direct result of a root cause. Under certain conditions, an event or action will cause an outcome or effect that is not necessarily within man's realm of control.
For example, when a major hurricane sweeps over a large town, many houses are destroyed, and millions of dollars of damage are incurred. The cause of the destruction is the hurricane, while the effect is the loss of a significant amount of property and other personal items. The cause of the event is entirely out of man's control. Determinists believe that the preconditions of this scenario, or set circumstances or influences which lead to a result, were utterly predetermined, and there would be no other possible outcome.
more ..... https://study.com/academy/lesson/determinism-definition-examples.html#

A physical processing system could not accommodate the notion of determinism, except at the moment of interaction.
Mathematics however can accommodate all notions of determinism from first causality to future productivity.
It is an abstract internal bookkeeping system, that keeps the universe in dynamic balance.

Mathematics is not a scientific language. Some parts of mathematics are useful in science, viz. for modelling the behaviour of the physical world. But mathematics is abstract and bears no necessary relation to the physical world.
Proceedings of the XXIII World Congress of Philosophy
Volume 60, 2018
Philosophy of Physics

Jan Czerniawski
Pages 3-8
https://doi.org/10.5840/wcp232018601258

Protophysics and the Meaning of Space-time Geometry
In the orthodox, geometrical interpretation of General relativity, gravitation is regarded as the space-time curvature and space-time as an ultimate, non analyzable reality. This makes the physical meaning of space-time geometry unclear.
It’s dynamical, Lorentzian interpretation enables clarifying this meaning by analyzing the space-time geometry in terms of the behavior of physical standards of time and length units related to the absolute spatial geometry and chronometry. However, the absolute spatial and temporal metrics, and absolute simultaneity introduced by this interpretation, are non-physical, as devoid of the unequivocal operational meaning. On the other hand, neither are they metaphysical concepts, since they have some quasi-operational, or conditional operational, meaning. The latter, along with the operational meaning of fundamental physical concepts, is the subject matter of protophysics.
Thus, it is protophysics that makes the meaning of the physical geometry of relativistic space-time fully intelligible. Moreover, it clarifies the meaning of the absolute background geometry in bimetric theories and supports introducing such a geometry also into general-relativistic space-time. It also justifies choosing for this role Leibnizian geometry , which has some pleasant features, whereas being capable of solving problems that motivated introducing Minkowskian background geometry in bimetric theories.
https://www.pdcnet.org/wcp23/content/wcp23_2018_0060_0003_0008

I wish I had written that. I identify with this analysis wholeheartedly.

Write4U:
I have told you a dozen times that other than via stochastic processes, mathematics is not causal to physical interactions. It is causal to HOW physical actions interact. Determinism.
I said that mathematics is causal to HOW physical interactions occur.
Mathematical functions guide the processes.
How many times will you ignore my answer and ask the same question?
Please allow me to attempt to translate your words into something understandable.

Your claim is that mathematics doesn't start a physical interaction; rather, the maths guides interactions after they have started.

Is that a fair description of your position?

Consider an example: I allow a tennis ball to drop from my hands. It falls and lands on the floor.

The way I interpret your position is that mathematics had nothing to do with my causing the ball to drop from my hands, because "mathematics is not causal to physical interactions". The obvious question that arises, then, is: what you do think is causal to physical interactions? There must be something independent of maths that starts off physical processes. Do you have any definite ideas on what that thing might be?

Now, once the tennis ball has started falling, that's where the maths kicks in, according to your position. The maths "tells" the tennis ball to accelerate at a rate of 9.8 metres per second per second as it falls, for example.

The question that now occurs to me is: is the maths just making a suggestion to the tennis ball? Does the tennis ball have any power to "refuse" the suggestion that it should accelerate at a particular rate? If not, then wouldn't it be fair to say that it is the maths that causes the ball to accelerate at that rate?

In other words, what do you mean when you say that mathematics "guides" physical interactions?

You seem to be saying that, without the "guidance" of the maths, the tennis ball would not necessarily accelerate at 9.8 metres per second per second.

What else, other than this "guidance" from the maths, would be a sufficient reason for the ball to accelerate at that rate? It can't be just the maths alone that does the trick, because then it would be fair to say that the maths is what causes the acceleration at that rate. Yet you have told us that maths is not causal to physical interactions. So, apart from the "guiding" maths, what else determines how the ball falls, in your theory?

Going back to the start, what actually caused me to drop the ball? Was it my "free will" perhaps? Is free will one of those things that is independent of maths, in your philosophy? Or was my decision to drop the ball at a particular time somehow itself "guided" by maths, but also somehow not "caused by" maths? If the maths didn't cause it, what did?

As you can probably see, I think that your attempt to distinguish a "causal" role for maths from a "guiding" role is untenable, because causing and guiding are not really separable ideas when it comes to breaking down a physical interaction into any sort of time sequence.

There's another problem, as well, and it comes back to the same unanswered question I have asked you many times. Let us accept, for a moment, that maths doesn't cause anything, but it can nevertheless "guide" processes. You still haven't answered the question of how this "guiding" works, exactly. The maths says a tennis ball should accelerate at 9.8 metres per second per second, let's say. But what mechanism translates that mathematical "message" into the physical effect of the ball actually accelerating in the physical world at the specified rate? In other words, what mechanism connects the abstract mathematical idea to the physical reality of the system in question?

I don't think you have any answers to any of this. I think that, mostly, this is because you just make up stuff as you go along and you don't really think it through. I expect that you'll most likely respond to this with an irrelevant one-liner, like you usually do, or else you'll simply try to ignore the issues I have put to you. But we'll see whether you have the capacity to think about your own position and to respond honestly and fully.
If you know these answers, then instead of just calling me wrong, why not tell me what is right? Can you do that or will you slip-slide away like Dave did, by declaring it is too complicated and lengthy for him to bother with, but is expected of me to prove my position.
It is not up to me to try to rationalise your position, Write4U. When you make claims, it is up to you to justify those claims.

I don't think your claims are consistent, let alone justifiable, and I can't really help you to pick up the pieces of the mess of your "theory", to salvage them into some sort of workable thesis. If I was you'd, I'd give up the whole thing as a hopelessly flawed concoction.

Here's an alternative: the position I have been putting to you in this thread is that maths is descriptive, not prescriptive. That is, we can use maths to model the ways in which physical systems behaviour, but the maths only affects how the model behaves, not how the physical system behaves. In other words, the maths is part of the map; the physical system is the territory that the map is describing. Mathematical models are successful to the extent that they allow us to accurately predict the behaviours of the physical systems they are modelling.

Can you tell me what Time is?
Did I not already answer your question in post #455?

I suggested that if you wanted to start a separate thread on the nature of time, you could do so, but it is off-topic for the current thread.
Is it a real thing or is it an abstract dimension of durable space?
Did humans invent Time? Well yes, we invented the "word" and symbolized the temporal measurements.
Very briefly, I will address these matters. A fuller discussion would require a separate thread.

Is time a real thing? Yes, it is. Did humans invent it? No, they didn't.
Is it an "abstract dimension of durable space"? The question is meaningless word salad. I don't know what "durable space" is and neither do you. I don't think you know what a dimension is, either, or what would make a dimension "abstract".
Can you tell me what Mathematics is? Is it a real thing or is it an abstract dimension of spacetime?
458 posts into this thread, in which you have been arguing that the universe is mathematics, and now we find that you don't know what mathematics is?

That doesn't reflect well on you, Write4U. You are admitting that you haven't known about what you've been trying to talk about for 450 posts.

Why don't you grab your dictionary and look up what mathematics is, for starters?

In response to your other questions: yes, mathematics is a real thing. No, mathematics is not "an abstract dimension of spacetime" (whatever that means).
Did humans invent Mathematics?
Perhaps once you've discovered what mathematics is, you'll be able to answer this yourself.

The "Law of falling bodies" is an axiom that is "present" where "gravity" exists.
No. Please look up "axiom" in the dictionary.
AFAIK, "falling" is the result of following the geometry of curved spacetime.

That is one way to model it.
If we can say that spacetime has geometry, then we cannot in the same breath say that mathematics is a man-made abstraction unrelated to this Reality.
You're mushing concepts together again - muddying the usage of the word "spacetime".

Spacetime could mean the mathematical model of space and time used, for example, in the theory of relativity. This is a theoretical construct.
Or spacetime could just mean the physical space and time we're all aware of.

When you say "spacetime has geometry", are you talking about the mathematical model called "spacetime", or physical space and time?

The inability to distinguish one thing from the other is the map-territory problem.
I am fascinated with Tegmark's concept of "emergent" properties in certain complex patterns, such as emergent consciousness in the human brain during gestation..
I am fascinated with Bohm's concept of deeper levels (holography) of interaction than humans can observe in our gross expression in reality.
Both are self-referential systems.
In a sense, those different "deeper" perspectives do retain some fundamental common denominators.
That's what I am after.
As far as I can tell, you were after a religion, and you found one that suits you. Maybe there was a gap in your life when you gave up on Christianity, or something, and you went looking for a replacement that sounds vaguely "scientific".

I guess the bright side of this is that you ended up with a relatively harmless religion. Things could have been much worse. For instance, you could have landed in Scientology. However, both religions involve a cult of personality.
When I think about these things I look for "common denominators" rather than "differences".
You're looking to jam things into your existing belief system. You ignore the things you can't make fit, but you're willing to jam in thing even if they fit only very poorly.

This is the opposite of the scientific method and critical thinking. Those start with observations and evidence, and they follow the evidence where it leads. They discard things for which there is no good evidence. They also, ideally, don't ignore inconvenient truths for the sake of dogma or following a guru.
In a purely atheist reality, what is it that would fill the same creative functions as God fulfills in theism, other than some form of mathematical logic.
I don't know why you feel such a desperate need for a Creator god, or equivalent. I think this might be baggage carried over from some prior religious belief you used to hold.

And there's the rub. How can I demonstrate my understanding of that perspective.
Perhaps by not referencing Tegmark where it is unwarranted? If you don't hold to his position, that mathematics is all that exists, then don't quote his ideas that stem from that. Similarly with Bohm: if you don't actually hold to the notion he espouses, then don't quote him/his position as if it explains or supports yours. It's about positioning yourself coherently and without contradiction.
From what I gather you're just positing the idea that the universe operates according to mathematical laws. Ignore Bohm. Ignore what Tegmark adds on. Is that pretty much what you're positing? If so, my big question to that is: so what?
The "Law of falling bodies" is an axiom that is "present" where "gravity" exists.
No, it's not. It's a law that one can derive from our understanding of gravity. It is certainly not axiomatic.
If we can say that spacetime has geometry, then we cannot in the same breath say that mathematics is a man-made abstraction unrelated to this Reality.
We can. Being one doesn't preclude the other. By that I mean that we know that we, humans, use mathematics. We have this abstraction that enables us to play around with numbers according to logical rules. This is the man-made abstraction. That those rules might be (or are), to an extent, inherent within the universe doesn't mean that maths is not a man-made abstraction, as well as being inherent in the universe. Part of what we have man-made happens to be similar to that by which the universe operates, perhaps. Perhaps some maths that we have created has no bearing on reality at all.
So, the question becomes at which point can the mathematical nature of the "unfolding spacetime" be understood in terms that are much deeper and finer than mere observation and reporting of what is going on at the gross level of reality.
To the point that mathematics is all that exists (as per Tegmark)? Or that there is an underlying monistic reality that becomes manifest to our senses as descrete "particles", or "atoms" etc (as per Bohm)? Or something else?
The point remains that you're throwing out ideas that other people have come up with without really being able to express your own view. You seem to throw these ideas around as if their names and ideas are sufficient. They're not. You have to be able to express your idea. Now, it may be that you agree with one or other of them. Or with parts of both. But you haven't been able to express what that might be.

I am fascinated with Tegmark's concept of "emergent" properties in certain complex patterns, such as emergent consciousness in the human brain during gestation..
I am fascinated with Bohm's concept of deeper levels (holography) of interaction than humans can observe in our gross expression in reality.
Both are self-referential systems.
In a sense, those different "deeper" perspectives do retain some fundamental common denominators.
That's what I am after.
Being fascinated with things is all well and good, but we're not here just to listen to what you're fascinated about. You have to have some coherent position that you're putting forward, or you're really just like someone in an art gallery pointing to various pictures and going "ooh, pretty!".
When I think about these things I look for "common denominators" rather than "differences". All these states exist not just in the human mind which itself is a collection of complex atomic patterns with an emergent property of self-referential abilities, but there is no reason to reject the concept of a "self-referential consciousness" for having certain common mathematical properties and relational interactions with their environments.
Sure, and what is the common-denominator between Bohm and Tegmark that appeals that also relates to this thread? Or is it just you throwing their ideas around hoping that some of it might be relevant? Again, if all you're positing is that the universe operates according to mathematical laws, then, sure. Welcome to science.
In a purely atheist reality, what is it that would fill the same creative functions as God fulfills in theism, other than some form of mathematical logic.
If by that you mean what created the universe? then I have no idea. It's not a stretch to say that whatever was the cause was probably following some form of logic, at least according to whatever reality it operated in. The alternative is randomness and an absence of any order. Can we know for sure? No. But you're free to believe whatever you like, though. Just, please, try to be coherent in your responses and posts to people.

The best I can do is voice my agreement with this;
What is Determinism?
What does determinism have to do with the difference between "causal to..." and "causal to how..."?
Determinism simply means that the same inputs will always lead to the same output. It describes the nature of a system, its predictability, and the predetermination of all future events.
So, how does it speak to the difference between "causal to..." and "causal to how..."? Those are terms you used, that you differentiated between, and here you are just seemingly throwing out another idea as if that answers the questions asked of you. You need to join the dots for people, and you're not doing that.
A physical processing system could not accommodate the notion of determinism, except at the moment of interaction.
What do you mean by a "physical processing system"?
Why can one not accomodate the notion of determinism?
Surely if the system is deterministic then that describes the system, and by that description one is surely saying that the system does accommodate the notion of determinism?
Mathematics however can accommodate all notions of determinism from first causality to future productivity.
Maths is deterministic, sure (even if probabilistically so - i.e. the same output is a probability function, rather than a specific output). But so what? Again: join the dots. You're otherwise just throwing out ideas as if they alone answer the questions you're being asked.

What does determinism have to do with the difference between "causal to..." and "causal to how..."?
This is the conventional interpretation of the term.....
Determinism is the philosophical view that events are completely determined by previously existing causes.
But that tells me nothing about how the results of these events are being determined.

This narrow application of the term "determinism" as one event being causal to another event doesn't address the inherent mathematics (values) of this "exponentially unfolding" chronology in spacetime.

A deterministic result is also achieved via the exchange of information and this is not random information. In a dynamical probabilistic environment events happen stochastically. But it is the inherent and extant "values" (potentials) of the entire associated causal environment that determine "how" the new values (results) unfold in a measurable manner. If it is measurable it is codifiable with human symbolic mathematics

[determines = results in] = [black box]. I see "determinism" as a description of a function based on measurable factors and applies to all the following as "being a "common denominator" in all the variations of "determinism".

de·ter·mine, verb
3rd person present: determines
  1. 1.
    cause (something) to occur in a particular way; be the decisive factor in.
    Similar: control, decide, regulate, direct, rule, dictate, govern, condition, form, shape, affect, induce, lead, move, cause, motivate, stimulate, prod, spur on, provoke, incite, incline, persuade, encourage, urge, inspire, make, deciding, decisive, conclusive, final, settling, definitive, key, pivotal, crucial, most influential, significant, major, chief, principal, prime, paramount.
  2. 2.
    ascertain or establish exactly, typically as a result of research or calculation.
    "the point of our study was to determine what is true, not what is practicable"
    Similar: find out, discover, ascertain, learn, establish, fix, settle
    Oxford Languages
Note: This is an antropomorphized statement. The Universe does not do research (it is self-referential) but it most certainly does calculation, which is a result of self-reference between relational universally occurring values.

In a universal sense, it is the universal spacetime geometry that determines all deterministic actions since the beginning. This requires a form of generic mathematical (measurable) relationships.

I don't know if Tegmark is right in saying the Universe IS mathematical, but I am comfortable with the concept that the universe HAS an abstract mathematical aspect.

Where and how is this perspective flawed?

Last edited:
Surely if the system is deterministic then that describes the system, and by that description one is surely saying that the system does accommodate the notion of determinism?
But why should a generic mathematical aspect be excluded from that notion?? Humans do not own mathematics.

Dang , did have a nice post, but lost it due to expiring log time.

Anyway, it was based on this very informative article.

Mathematics & Reality
Raymond Tallis on maths’ unreasonable effectiveness.
The belief that mathematics is the surest path to the truth about the universe because the latter is at bottom mathematical has been very influential in Western thought. It goes back to Pythagoras’s assertion that “All is number,” or, as Aristotle paraphrased it, “The principles of mathematics are the principles of all things.” It is the rationale behind Plato’s insistence that no one should enter his Academy without knowledge of geometry.
Pythagoras’s discovery of the mathematical ratios underlying pitch, such that doubling the length of a string on a musical instrument produces a note an octave lower, has resonated long and loud through human consciousness. Galileo’s assertion that “The book of nature is written in the language of mathematics” has been a guiding principle of science since the scientific revolution to which he contributed so much. The idea of the universe as a gigantic computer, and the belief that everything (including conscious experience) is information that is either itself digital or can be digitised without loss, is but a recent manifestation of Pythagoreanism.
The question of the relationship between mathematics and reality has become increasingly urgent over the last century as physics, led by ever more abstruse calculations, makes spectacular advances. This has enabled extraordinarily precise predictions about every aspect of the material world from the very small (Higgs bosons, etc) to the very large (gravitational waves, etc), and, through the technology underpinned by it, a massive amplification of our agency.
This has persuaded some thinkers that mathematical physics has, or will have, the last word on many, perhaps most, aspects of the world in which we live.
The pursuit of a theory which combines the two pillars of contemporary physics – relativity and quantum mechanics – is advertised as the search for ‘a Theory of Everything’. If you want to know the time, you ask a policeman: if you want to know what time (or space, or the basic stuff of the universe, or even consciousness) is, you ask a physicist.
The challenge of metaphysics must be to see how these different kinds of truths relate. This does not mean either on the one hand siding with the deliverances of immediate experience against those of mathematical physics, or on the other hand dismissing immediate experience as unreal.
It does mean, however, that we should re-examine the greatest mystery: that the world makes (growing) sense to us. Meanwhile, we reserve our judgement as to the relationship between mathematics and reality. Both the Pythagoreans and the anti-Pythagoreans have a lot of explaining to do.
© Prof. Raymond Tallis 2014
Raymond Tallis’s new book Epimethean Imaginings, is out now from Acumen.
https://philosophynow.org/issues/102/Mathematics_and_Reality

Quantities are inherent. I all started with a singularity (1) with "enfolded ~infinite potential" and "mathematical values"

Qualities are emergent . It is the "unfolding of ~infinite potential into separate entities, with specific qualities and individual mathematical values and enfolded potentials.

Example: In CDT, the dimensional Universe "unfolds in a fractal manner". The emergent qualities can be observed by modern scientific techniques, but require new mathematics to describe. Those techniques always employ human symbolized mathematics which copy the observable causal and deterministic processes via codified and symbolized language.

This is the conventional interpretation of the term.....
But that tells me nothing about how the results of these events are being determined.
So you're not talking about "causal to HOW..." at all, but rather simply why/how a cause gives the effect it does. I.e. it's your choice of phrasing that confuses. "Causal to HOW..." is a confused phrase.
Determinism doesn't actually address either. It is simply descriptive that not only is there cause and effect, but it is descriptive of the nature of the relationship between cause and effect, but only in as much as it says that the same cause always gives the same effect, such that the effect is predictable from the cause. That's what it means to be "completely determined". Determination doesn't explain causation in any way, either why or how. It is just descriptive of there being cause/effect, and the nature thereof.
This narrow application of the term "determinism" as one event being causal to another event doesn't address the inherent mathematics (values) of this "exponentially unfolding" chronology in spacetime.
You need to argue for there being inherent mathematics in determinism, though. It's not a given, and I wouldn't want to see you accused of begging the question. Sure, mathematics is deterministic (in so far as if you add the integer 1 and the integer 1 you will always get the integer 2 etc.) But just because maths can be said to be deterministic (if one takes a function to be a system, where inputs are causes and outputs are effects, etc) does not mean that what is deterministic is mathematical. That is for you to argue for.
Note: This is an antropomorphized statement. The Universe does not do research (it is self-referential) but it most certainly does calculation, which is a result of self-reference between relational universally occurring values.
"Calculation"? Really? What are you meaning with that term? Do pendulums calculate the period of their oscillation? Does the earth calculate its orbital trajectory and period around the sun?
In a universal sense, it is the universal spacetime geometry that determines all deterministic actions since the beginning. This requires a form of generic mathematical (measurable) relationships.
Well, it's hard to determine indeterministic actions, I guess. ;)
Anyhoo - all you're really saying is twofold: one, that the underlying universe operates according to laws that are mathematical. That's nothing new. Science relies on it. The second is that you're putting spacetime geometry as the primary cause. But that just begs the question of what caused that. And if you're limiting your claim to just determining deterministic actions, how does it interact / cope with indeterministic events?
I don't know if Tegmark is right in saying the Universe IS mathematical, but I am comfortable with the concept that the universe HAS an abstract mathematical aspect.
Sure. Welcome to science. You have no need to quote Tegmark, or promote his thinking, if that's all you're claiming.
Where and how is this perspective flawed?
That aspect of your perspective is not, seemingly, flawed. It is, as I have suggested, what science relies on. What does seem to be flawed is your latching on to the likes of Tegmark and Bohm, who are making claims you might not agree with, to support what is in essence a rather familiar notion to science. It really is like you throw their names into the ring almost as if you think the names are sufficient. I get that you're intrigued by their ideas, or at least what you understand of them, but throwing them into a discussion doesn't help when their positions are so much more nuanced or outright different to what you are trying to use them to support.

Try just using your own words to describe what your position is. And take it from there.

But why should a generic mathematical aspect be excluded from that notion?? Humans do not own mathematics.
???
My comment was a response to you claiming: "A physical processing system could not accommodate the notion of determinism, except at the moment of interaction."
Your answer here is a non sequitur. I am not sure what question or point you are actually addressing. Care to try again?

???
My comment was a response to you claiming: "A physical processing system could not accommodate the notion of determinism, except at the moment of interaction."
Your answer here is a non sequitur. I am not sure what question or point you are actually addressing. Care to try again?
So, that answer is not wrong per se, correct?
The point I was trying to make is that in an initial state of Chaos, the "moment of interaction" may be stochastic, yet the actual interaction is always a mathematically deterministic process. This is why we can expect self-organization and duplication (fractals) in reality.

In short, I believe that determinism is a function of generic relational mathematics, not of an Intelligent Designer.

That is really my question. Other than mathematical, what inherent "guiding process" is causal to the phenomenon of determinism? Is there an alternative to mathematics ?

Deterministic system
In mathematics, computer science and physics, a deterministic system is a system in which no randomness is involved in the development of future states of the system.[1] A deterministic model will thus always produce the same output from a given starting condition or initial state.[2]
In physics
Physical laws that are described by differential equations represent deterministic systems, even though the state of the system at a given point in time may be difficult to describe explicitly.
In quantum mechanics, the Schrödinger equation, which describes the continuous time evolution of a system's wave function, is deterministic. However, the relationship between a system's wave function and the observable properties of the system appears to be non-deterministic.
In mathematics
The systems studied in chaos theory are deterministic.
If the initial state were known exactly, then the future state of such a system could theoretically be predicted. However, in practice, knowledge about the future state is limited by the precision with which the initial state can be measured, and chaotic systems are characterized by a strong dependence on the initial conditions. This sensitivity to initial conditions can be measured with Lyapunov exponents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deterministic_system

Last edited:
So, that answer is not wrong per se, correct?
It's not a meaningful answer to the question I asked, so from that point alone it is a wrong answer. Whether it is the right answer to an unasked question is neither here nor there. Here are some other correct answers to unasked questions: 17, the colour blue, and Mornington Crescent. Do with them what you will.
The point I was trying to make is that in an initial state of Chaos, the "moment of interaction" may be stochastic, yet the actual interaction is always a mathematically deterministic process. This is why we can expect self-organization and duplication (fractals) in reality.
No, if the initial state was chaos, as understood and quoted by you, then the system is deterministic. That means that the "moment of interaction" is also determined by prior events.
In short, I believe that determinism is a function of generic relational mathematics, not of an Intelligent Designer.
Determinism is a property of a system, not a function. A function describes the behaviour from input to output. Determinism merely says that if you put in the same input you will always get the same output. That's a property of the function (or system), not the function itself.
Determinism is also a property of (* most) mathematics. Not a function of it.
That is really my question. Other than mathematical, what inherent "guiding process" is causal to the phenomenon of determinism? Is there an alternative to mathematics ?
Determinism is a property of a system. It is not caused by that which it is a property of.
Mathematics is deterministic (i.e. a property of maths - or at least most maths - is that it is deterministic). You agree?
But you claim maths is causal to determinism, so you are in essence saying something that is deterministic is causal to determinism. So where did the determinism of mathematics come from before maths had "caused" determinism???
You seem to be committing a category error here. Determinism is a property of mathematics. Whatever gave rise to mathematics gave rise to the properties of mathematics at the same time, including its deterministic nature. If mathematics is the underlying "fabric", the "implicate order", then its determinism has always been a part of it as well.

* note that not all mathematics is deterministic. Stochastic calculus, for example.

If mathematics is the underlying "fabric", the "implicate order", then its determinism has always been a part of it as well.
Now that answer confuses me.
This universe did not start with a small change, it started with a Big Bang where everything happened all at once and at the same place. Chaos.

Chaos can explain why climate is predictable while weather isn’t. Sören Lubitz Photography/Moment via Getty Images

Why chaos theory matters
Isaac Newton envisioned physics as a set of rules governing a clockwork universe – rules that, once set in motion, would lead to a predetermined outcome. But chaos theory proves that even the strictest rules and nearly perfect information can lead to unpredictable outcomes.
https://theconversation.com/what-is-chaos-a-complex-systems-scientist-explains-169423
Whatever gave rise to mathematics gave rise to the properties of mathematics at the same time, including its deterministic nature. If mathematics is the underlying "fabric", the "implicate order", then its determinism has always been a part of it as well.
I disagree. Maths have properties but it is the function of maths that I am addressing.
What are the properties of mathematics.
There are four basic properties: commutative, associative, distributive, and identity.May 27, 2022
https://study.com/academy/lesson/number-properties-communicative-associative-distributive.html#

What type of math is functions?
types-of-functions-1623849361.png

Algebraic Form: A function is usually denoted by an equation y = f(x) which connects the values on the x-axis and the values on the y-axis. Some examples of functions equations are f(x) = x3, f(x) = sin x, etc.

What is the property of a function?
Definition of function: A function is a relationship between two sets of data, one input and the other output. A relation is said to be a function if and only if each of the input data is related to exactly one output data.
https://byjus.com/question-answer/what-are-the-properties-of-function/

What type of property in mathematics

It's not a meaningful answer to the question I asked, so from that point alone it is a wrong answer. Whether it is the right answer to an unasked question is neither here nor there. Here are some other correct answers to unasked questions: 17, the colour blue, and Mornington Crescent. Do with them what you will.
No, if the initial state was chaos, as understood and quoted by you, then the system is deterministic. That means that the "moment of interaction" is also determined by prior events.
Determinism is a property of a system, not a function. A function describes the behaviour from input to output. Determinism merely says that if you put in the same input you will always get the same output. That's a property of the function (or system), not the function itself.
Determinism is also a property of (* most) mathematics. Not a function of it.
Determinism is a property of a system. It is not caused by that which it is a property of.
Mathematics is deterministic (i.e. a property of maths - or at least most maths - is that it is deterministic). You agree?
But you claim maths is causal to determinism, so you are in essence saying something that is deterministic is causal to determinism. So where did the determinism of mathematics come from before maths had "caused" determinism???
You seem to be committing a category error here. Determinism is a property of mathematics. Whatever gave rise to mathematics gave rise to the properties of mathematics at the same time, including its deterministic nature. If mathematics is the underlying "fabric", the "implicate order", then its determinism has always been a part of it as well.

* note that not all mathematics is deterministic. Stochastic calculus, for example.
Very clear. I admire your patience.

What Are Number Properties in Math?
Commutative, Associative, Distributive, Identity, Inverse, and Closure properties.
This small lesson will introduce you to the math properties. To see what you can expect to read, check "Contents", which shows the list of sections that are present on this page. No extra materials are required for this lesson, but you may do so out of your own will.
Properties are the laws of math that state that a mathematician must follow these rules [the properties] to solve a math problem. Every math subject, such as
Geometry and Algebra, follow these properties. A math that doesn't follow, for example, with the commutative property in: �
ffd2487510aa438433a2579450ab2b3d557e5edc
• �
f11423fbb2e967f986e36804a8ae4271734917c3
= �
f11423fbb2e967f986e36804a8ae4271734917c3
• �
ffd2487510aa438433a2579450ab2b3d557e5edc
is not, in simple terms, math. However, it is a rule, a math rule but it's called a property because math follows it. Thus, it is essential for every mathematician to, not only memorize, but
apply these properties as well.
So, are we talking about Universal mathematics in the abstract or as it relates to human maths?

What are the Properties included?
  • Commutative Property of Addition
  • Commutative Property of Multiplication
  • Associative Property of Addition
  • Associative Property of Multiplication
  • Additive Identity Property
  • Multiplicative Identity Property
  • Additive Inverse Property
  • Multiplicative Inverse Property
  • Multiplicative Property of Zero
  • Additive Property of Zero
  • Substitution Property