Pyramids found in Bosnia

It's interesting yes. I've been keeping tabs on the story.
What will come of it? Ahhh, gurgle... maybe something good, maybe something bad.

Giambattista said:
It's interesting yes. I've been keeping tabs on the story.
What will come of it? Ahhh, gurgle... maybe something good, maybe something bad.
Probly nothing will come of it.
Still, it's not every day pyramids are discovered.
Rare to happen in ones lifetime actually:)

moementum7 said:
Probly nothing will come of it.
Still, it's not every day pyramids are discovered.
Rare to happen in ones lifetime actually:)

Whether or not the story becomes something big is whether or not these really ARE pyramids or not. Investigations are just beginning to uncover things, including writing in what may be a new script/alphabet.

If they are pyramids, or something similar, that's interesting enough. Who built them (and when) is even more important. If they find more of this writing, it may well be evidence of a heretofore unknown culture. The implications of this may be relatively small, or possibly great.

I guess we'll have to find out?

I've written on this topic of psuedoarchaeology in the past: http://hotcupofjoe.blogspot.com/2006/06/pseudoarchaeology-bosnian-pyramid-is.html

The "pyramid" discovered by Osmanagic is a natural formation but there are legitimate archaeological sites on the hill itself which are in danger of being systematically destroyed by these misguided and misinformed pseudo-archaeologists. Osmanagic has no training or background in archaeology and is only an archaeologist in his mind. The chaotic situation that exists in Bosnia's post war nation with regard to government and economics has allowed for this charlatan to get permits. The ignorance of the media has allowed him to get publicity.

There have been zero artifacts discovered at the site that support Osmanagics wild claims.

See also:
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/osmanagic/index.html
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/osmanagic/update.html

SkinWalker said:
I've written on this topic of psuedoarchaeology in the past: http://hotcupofjoe.blogspot.com/2006/06/pseudoarchaeology-bosnian-pyramid-is.html

The "pyramid" discovered by Osmanagic is a natural formation but there are legitimate archaeological sites on the hill itself which are in danger of being systematically destroyed by these misguided and misinformed pseudo-archaeologists. Osmanagic has no training or background in archaeology and is only an archaeologist in his mind. The chaotic situation that exists in Bosnia's post war nation with regard to government and economics has allowed for this charlatan to get permits. The ignorance of the media has allowed him to get publicity.

There have been zero artifacts discovered at the site that support Osmanagics wild claims.

See also:
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/osmanagic/index.html
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/osmanagic/update.html
Ummm, ok.
Thats awesome, can I have a link that proves it's a natural formation?
Not just links bashing the man personaly.
I'm assuming that you mean it's just a hill of dirt and natural rock.
From what I have seen so far there is no real concrete evidence to provide absolute proof either way, only degrees of possibility.
If you can provide serious evidence to remove all doubt that this is indeed a natural, plain and simple mountain I would appreciate it.
Would save me and all of those people in Bosnia alot of time :)

Until then I am not as eager as you to give a final awnser on the subject.

If there was a pyramid under there, a very simple geophysical survery using a radar sled would show the underlying structure.

If he was sure there was a pyramid, Osmanagic would have rented one, surveyed, and posted his results, so he could secure funding for a full excavation. But it seems he'd rather use the media hype to flog a book he's already written about the 'pyramid', before even verifying it exists, .....

The claim that it is a pyramid is the one that needs proof. There is none.

Moreover, none of the "evidence" that Osmanagic has presented to date has been anything that cannot be of natural occurrence. None. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

What would be interesting to identify is if there had been any Mining done throughout history in the area. When mining it's possible to extract vast amounts of unwanted debris as tunnels are made and that debris has to be deposited somewhere. It's possible that if that hill is more than a hill, then it's just an old mine's debris pile.

Such slag hills can be found situated in the north of England around the old Mining communities. In years to come I'm sure they'll all be reclaimed by nature, becoming grassy rather than void of life.

SkinWalker said:
The claim that it is a pyramid is the one that needs proof. There is none.

Moreover, none of the "evidence" that Osmanagic has presented to date has been anything that cannot be of natural occurrence. None. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
I agree, this claim does need proof.
And so does yours.
You specificaly claimed it was "a natural formation", how do you know this for sure?

Stryder said:
What would be interesting to identify is if there had been any Mining done throughout history in the area. When mining it's possible to extract vast amounts of unwanted debris as tunnels are made and that debris has to be deposited somewhere. It's possible that if that hill is more than a hill, then it's just an old mine's debris pile.

Such slag hills can be found situated in the north of England around the old Mining communities. In years to come I'm sure they'll all be reclaimed by nature, becoming grassy rather than void of life.
Maybe. :)

moementum7 said:
I agree, this claim does need proof.
And so does yours.
You specificaly claimed it was "a natural formation", how do you know this for sure?

Nature provides all the proof needed for the natural hypothesis. There exist hills and small mountains all over the world. We know nature creates them and we know the processes.

What needs proof are the wild claims of Osmanagic, the pseudo-archaeologist that is endangering real archaeological sites with his bullshit.

SkinWalker said:
Nature provides all the proof needed for the natural hypothesis. There exist hills and small mountains all over the world. We know nature creates them and we know the processes.

What needs proof are the wild claims of Osmanagic, the pseudo-archaeologist that is endangering real archaeological sites with his bullshit.
You sound like your taking this particular topic quite seriously, I don't hear see you curse too often.
Again, I agree his claims definitely do need further evidence, no doubt about it.
And yes, it is a hill, no doubt about it.
You could dump a 100 million tons of dirt onto the egyptian pyramids and they would become hills too.

Nature also covers over objects with time, which is also all the proof that is needed for this natural hypothesis.

There exists objects all over the world that are covered over by time/nature.
We know nature does this, and we know the processes.

I have no problem with you assuming it's a natural hill.
I have no problem with whats his name assuming it's a pyramid.
Either claim stated in the affirmative needs to be proven however.

Again, you claimed in the affirmative that this is ONLY a natural formation...how do you KNOW this.

Thanks

There's simply no reason to think otherwise. There are similar formations in the region; there are several real archaeologists and geologists that have offered their opinions based on years of field work in the region; Osmanagic and his ilk haven't produced any evidence to the contrary; and Osmanagic and his ilk are relying on the well-debunked fallacy that "nature doesn't make right angles" and "smooth surfaces."

I may be a bit incensed over the issue, but its because of the genuine archaeological sites in the region that are being abused and destroyed. In one of his "press releases" (another hallmark of pseudoscience), Osmanagic mentioned the recovery of a human skeleton. This could very well be part of the remains of a Roman era or even Neolithic settlement, but the provenience and context may be irreparably destroyed.

I know no other apt term to apply to Osmanagic's con than "bullshit." Perhaps I've watched one too many episodes of Penn & Teller's show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_pyramids#Other_interpretations

According to one source, on May 8, 2006, members of the Geological team investigating Visočica on behalf of the Archaeological Park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun Foundation held a press conference in Tuzla to present the results of their research. The academics, from the Faculty of Mining and Geology at the University of Tuzla and led by Professor Dr. Sejfudin Vrabac, concluded that the hill is a natural geological formation, made of classic sediments of layered composition and varying thickness, and that its shape is a consequence of endodynamical and egsodynamical processes in post-Miocene era.

According to Professor Vrabac, who specializes in paleogeology, there are dozens of like morphological formations in the Sarajevo-Zenica mining basin alone. The Geological team report on Visocica, based on the data collected in six drill holes at 3 to 17 metre depths, is supported by the Research and Teaching Council of the Faculty of Mining and Geology, as well as the Association of Geologists of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.[15]
This doesn't disprove anything, of course, but there are good reasons to be sceptical.

SkinWalker said:
There's simply no reason to think otherwise. There are similar formations in the region; there are several real archaeologists and geologists that have offered their opinions based on years of field work in the region; Osmanagic and his ilk haven't produced any evidence to the contrary; and Osmanagic and his ilk are relying on the well-debunked fallacy that "nature doesn't make right angles" and "smooth surfaces."

I may be a bit incensed over the issue, but its because of the genuine archaeological sites in the region that are being abused and destroyed. In one of his "press releases" (another hallmark of pseudoscience), Osmanagic mentioned the recovery of a human skeleton. This could very well be part of the remains of a Roman era or even Neolithic settlement, but the provenience and context may be irreparably destroyed.

I know no other apt term to apply to Osmanagic's con than "bullshit." Perhaps I've watched one too many episodes of Penn & Teller's show.
Haha, yeah.
Honestly, I'm with ya on this one.
It very well could be just a natural mountain formation.
The fact that it does have the appearance of an underlying pyramid is enough for me to reserve a final awnser on the subject however.
Stranger things have happened.
As long as it isn't me having to be the one to go out there and dig.

And hopefully this project isn't damaging any other possible artifacts in the process.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to learn more, but this guy is a hack. Rather than seeing the hill for what it is, he's decided to take the "kook" stance and instantly believe that there lies a pyramid underneath. Now, people can think what they want, but this guy has put himself in position to do damage, and that's the problem.

JD

Back