Praising the One True God: Amen!

But those ideas are not the same as the ones MW put forward in this thread. And the spirit of her OP is moving toward the ugly. But I implied it was childish, to be milder.
M*W: Simon, as I've said before, don't let the title of my threads get to you. I find that sensationalistic titles reap more posts. When it comes to the body of the thread, I'll provide references instead of opinions.

Unfortunately, I responded to another thread with some 10-11 references on the word "amen," and it somehow self-deleted. That was a lot of work for nothing. Maybe after I get over the frustration, I'll rewrite it.

MW made it clear that she is gloating, which seems different to me than simply seeking to understand and share. Nice noble values and all. Her gloating is, further, based on some faulty ideas. One obvious one is that all of us would be hypocrites if her logic made any sense. Our word use - if it should be based on original word meanings - would contradict our beliefs all the time.

But those ideas are not the same as the ones MW put forward in this thread. And the spirit of her OP is moving toward the ugly. But I implied it was childish, to be milder.
M*W: Perhaps it's that I have some knowledge of subjects that others don't have. That's not gloating. I'm not a gloating person. I believe in the truth as found by professionals.

M*W: Simon, as I've said before, don't let the title of my threads get to you. I find that sensationalistic titles reap more posts. When it comes to the body of the thread, I'll provide references instead of opinions.

Unfortunately, I responded to another thread with some 10-11 references on the word "amen," and it somehow self-deleted. That was a lot of work for nothing. Maybe after I get over the frustration, I'll rewrite it.

OP, not title.
Their ignorance makes me laugh.

Simon your etymology, while interesting, doesn't perclude the word coming to the Hebrews from Egypt. In particular since the Hebrews supposedly spent an extensive period in Egypt as slaves. It would hardly be surprising for them to adopt some local customs and words. If this had happened it did so long before the period your etymology covers.

And the other points I made?

M*W: Perhaps it's that I have some knowledge of subjects that others don't have. That's not gloating. I'm not a gloating person. I believe in the truth as found by professionals.

And the point I made about goodbye?

If atheists say goodbye, should I say they are calling out with requests to God and laugh at their ignorance?

M*W: The word "amen" was used by the ancient Egyptians at the end of their prayers to the sun god Amen-Ra. Christians and other religious folk still use the word "amen" today. What they don't realize is that they are worshipping the monotheistic Egyptian sun god. Their ignorance makes me laugh.

You know what cracks me up is Christians are two faced concerning ancient traditions. They pick and choose the holidays they want to celebrate, and the ones they don't. And some believe all holidays are evil. The fact is all holidays are old pagan rituals.

A healthy Christian, in my eyes, would believe in God and understand that these worldly things are meant for enjoyment. They are man made traditions, nothing more and nothing less.

The sick thing is that they take the word "Amen" and say, the Christmas tree. And they bring their own meaning to things. The Catholics say "Amen" means "I believe". At least that was what I was taught in Catechism. Some Christians say that "Amen" means "let it be written, so let it be done."

Heh. Why did they feel the need to meld their beliefs and tradition? Did they feel it would be more accepted?

And the point I made about goodbye?

If atheists say goodbye, should I say they are calling out with requests to God and laugh at their ignorance?
M*W: As far as I know "good-bye" is a contraction for "god be with ye." I don't use the word "good-bye," but there are many other words that have bad connotations, and misunderstood meanings, like the word "fuck." That word means "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." So, technically, it's not a bad word, just an olde English connotation.

You know what cracks me up is Christians are two faced concerning ancient traditions. They pick and choose the holidays they want to celebrate, and the ones they don't. And some believe all holidays are evil. The fact is all holidays are old pagan rituals.

A healthy Christian, in my eyes, would believe in God and understand that these worldly things are meant for enjoyment. They are man made traditions, nothing more and nothing less.

The sick thing is that they take the word "Amen" and say, the Christmas tree. And they bring their own meaning to things. The Catholics say "Amen" means "I believe". At least that was what I was taught in Catechism. Some Christians say that "Amen" means "let it be written, so let it be done."

Heh. Why did they feel the need to meld their beliefs and tradition? Did they feel it would be more accepted?
M*W: Yes, you are right, I have my stack of references right here regarding the word "amen." I'm still irritated that I lost my lengthy post on "amen." Maybe tomorrow I'll repost it.

I still congratulate you on your new found wisdom. It's a pleasure to talk to you.

M*W: As far as I know "good-bye" is a contraction for "god be with ye." I don't use the word "good-bye," but there are many other words that have bad connotations, and misunderstood meanings, like the word "fuck." That word means "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." So, technically, it's not a bad word, just an olde English connotation.

1)You did not answer my question. I already pointed out in my first post good-bye's etymology. In fact that was the point. Of course, you MW would never use the word good-bye, but I asked about atheists in general. Following your logic they are praying for God to protect their friends. And it would be appropriate for me to laugh at their ignorance. Correct?

2) Your etymology of fuck is not correct
Here's a nice link that argues against this idea...
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.asp
Fuck likely came from scandanavia or germany where there are very similar verbs that mean to have sex or penis. The word then became a 'bad word' because the pompous normans looked down on the everyday speech of the people who were more influenced by Germanic languages. Other words that met a similar judgment were words like cunt, cock, etc.

Last edited:
I still congratulate you on your new found wisdom. It's a pleasure to talk to you.
Did you know that the word congratulate has as one of its roots 'grace' a word that originally had religious connotations.

You are not engaging in some sort of religious blessing here, are you?

And the other points I made?

Um...these?

1) words aren't magic and if you use the word amen it doesn't mean you are worshipping the sun or anything for that matter. [my paraphrase] - Sure, seems straight forward.

2) laughing at ignorance - aimed in this case at such a wide and diverse group of people - is perhaps not something to be so proud of - Ok, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun sometimes.

3) it's another fringe theory - I'm not sufficiently versed in the field to know for sure the fringe from the nonfringe, but so far her main source does seem fringy.

Better?

Um...these?

1) words aren't magic and if you use the word amen it doesn't mean you are worshipping the sun or anything for that matter. [my paraphrase] - Sure, seems straight forward.

2) laughing at ignorance - aimed in this case at such a wide and diverse group of people - is perhaps not something to be so proud of - Ok, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun sometimes.

3) it's another fringe theory - I'm not sufficiently versed in the field to know for sure the fringe from the nonfringe, but so far her main source does seem fringy.

Better?
Appreciated.

Did you know that the word congratulate has as one of its roots 'grace' a word that originally had religious connotations.

M*W: There's nothing religiously driven about the word "grace." In Elizabethan England and before, the monarchs were addressed as "Your Grace." Maybe the KJV gave "grace" a different connotation. I've always thought the word "grace" derived out of "gratitude" or "generousity."

Words and languages evolve.

MW there is an upper limit to the number of deviations a scholar can propose at one time to the generally accepted knowledge in a field and still remain credible. That may no be fair. It may not be good science. But that is the way things work and in general it is true that people who propose large numbers of and or significant deviations to the accepted knowledge tend to be flakes who have succumbed to cherry picking and confirmation bias.

There are from time to time notable exceptions, but such exceptions generally have a growing echo of people who have checked the data and found it sound. An example of this would be the collision theory of the moon's formation. When first proposed it was seen as a fringe theory, but this was its proposer's only major deviation. As computer modeling improved more and more people verified his data and after a decade it finally became accepted.

Even if amen originally had Egyptian roots, that doesn't mean xtians worship Amun when they use it. Also it is entirely possible it was originally Jewish and the Egyptians picked it up from them. Language and cultural crossovers go both directions.

M*W: Not every word has a religious etymology. I don't say "good-bye," because it's flat and sounds terminal with authority. I usually say, "Bye." Sometimes I say "Later." Sometimes I say "ciao." If I'm talking to one of my grandkids, I say "bye-bye." I don't see any subliminal meanings necessarily in "good-bye." It's like saying, "may all the goodness in life come to you." It doesn't have to be about a god.

When one gives blessings to another, again, it doesn't have to mean religious blessings. It meand "good tidings," or "wishing for them good things will occur."

Who cares? It is apparent that Juadism, Christianity, and Islam have evolved over time...each adapting to changing times and circumstances. If a religion gives someone comfort, what is wrong? If a person derives some personal benefit from a religious belief system, where is the error?

Personally, I seriously doubt that man is capable of understanding the Godhead. Man in the overall scope of things is pretty puny.

It's like saying, "may all the goodness in life come to you." It doesn't have to be about a god....
despite its origins. Excellent, precisely my point. So just as for you the word goodbye does not have to do necessarily with God, any Christian or Jew using Amen is not being foolish for using Amen
even if you are correct about the word's origins.
thank you.

Um...these?

3) it's another fringe theory - I'm not sufficiently versed in the field to know for sure the fringe from the nonfringe, but so far her main source does seem fringy. Better?
M*W: Words do change meanings over time, and they are not necessarily meant to change into funny words or serious words. They just evolve. The point of my post on "amen", was
to give a little history on its usage.

According to Ellis, "Classically, the Aton is described as being the firs monotheistic religion, one that attempted to do away with the plethora of gods that were then in vogue in Egypt. Like Amun, it was essentially a solar worship, but modified in that it was not the Sun itself that was worshiped, but rather the power behind the Sun, as it has been called."

"Christian churches are orientated toward the east, as was the mobile Israelite temple, the Tabernacle."

"In the eighteenth century Viscount Bolingbbroke, Charles F. Dupuis, and Count Volney dioscussed and wrote about the myth theory of Christian origins. In the early nineteenth century this propaganda was continued in England by the Reverend Robert Taylor. Reverend Taylor preached sermons in which he claimed that the Christian Savior was the Sun and that the story of his life was nothing more than the allegory of the passage of the solar orb through the twelve signs of the zodiac. As a result, Reverend Taylor was called the "Devil's Chaplain" and was sentenced to two years in jail for blasphemy. Taylor was an ordained minister, a surgeon, and a graduate of Cambridge University, but this did not save him from persecution. A Frenchman named Perez wrote a pamphlet to refute the Mythicists. As far as we know this tract was never translated into English, but a good digest of it was made by Herbert Cutner, whom I cite:"

'It was a Frenchman called Perez who, early last ccentury decided to annihilate the Sun Myth as appliec to Jesus. He wrote a pamphlet which is often . . . but few persons appear to have read it. Here then are some of the points it makes: First of all take the word "Napoleon." It is practically the same as "Apollon" or "Apollo," but if we take the spelling of this name as it appears on the column in the Place Veindome, Napoleon, the prefix Ne which is Greek is a participle of affirmation, shows that Napoleon is the true Apollo or the Sun Bonaparte, his other name, reall is "bon part: that is, the good part of the day--the sun giving us the good part, or daylight, and the moon and stars, the bad part--the Night or Darkness.'

"The history of the sun, I repeat, is the history of Jesus Christ. The sun is born on the 25th of December, the birthday of Jesus Christ. This is the sun triumphing over the powers of hell and darkness; and, as he increased, he prevails, till he is crucified in the heavens, or is decussated in the form of a cross (according to Justin Martyr) when he passes the equator at the vernal equinox. These celestial images are what induced the learned Alphonso the Great to declare, that the whole history of Jesus Christ might be read in the stars."

"Julian, one of the noblest of the Roman rulers, was a devout sun worshipper. He tried to crush Christianity and restore paganism in the fourth century but failed gloriously. We may regret that he had no success. One of his modern scholarly admirers has pain him this tribute."

'The last stand for the worship of the Sun in antiquity was made by the Roman Emperor Julian. in a rhapsody addressed to the orb of day, the grave and philosophic Emperor professes himself a follower of King Sun. He declares that the Sus is the common Father of all men, since he begat us and feeds us and gives us all good things; there is no single blessing in our lives which we do not receive from him. And Julian concludes his enthusiastic panegyric with a prayer that the Sun, the King of the Universe, would be gracious to him, granting him as a reward, for his pious zeal, a virtuous life and more perfect wisdom, and in due time, an easy and peaceful departure from this life, that he might ascent to his God in Heaven, there to dwell with Him forever.'

References:

Cutner, Herbert.: Jesus: God, Man or Myth?,the Truth Seeker, NY 1950,

Ellis, Ralph.: Jesus: Last of the Pharaohs--The True History of Religion Revealed/I], EDFU Books, Bournermouth, UK, 1999.

Frazer, Sir James George. Attis, Adonis, Osiris. New Hyde Park, University Books, NY 1961.

Higgins, Godfrey.: Anacalypsis. Vol.II, Green and Co., Longmans, London, 1836.
Taylor, Rev. Robert.: The Devil's Pulpit, Gilbert Vale, NY, 1884.

Jackson, John G.: Christianity Before Christ, American Atheist Press, Austin, TX 1985.

Back