Possible cure to all cancers??????

No there is no way a virus could be design that could not be targeted by the immune system! All virii need proteins to enter a cell those proteins are of foreign structure to the body and can be targeted by the immune system (process antibodies). It would be impossible to design a virus that lacks any peripheral proteins because it would be unable to enter a cell and do it work without them.

Viruses have been geneticaly engineered for quite some time now, and in many cases it has been proven successful in treating diseases. Yes it cannot be modified to be "ignored" by the immune system (and pardon my mistake in the previous post), but it can definitely be designed to to be imperial to the human immune system, thereby eliminating that problem. I don't exactly know how, but I know people have done it successfully.

Trust me any foreign protein would be recognized by the immune system there is no way around that… there are ways to engineer a virus to be much harder to recognize (such a lipid layers and dormant stages) so you could make a stealth virus but not a invisible one, unless you nock out the radar towers, that it: use immunosuppressing drugs while administering gene-therapeutic virii!

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
, unless you nock out the radar towers, that it: use immunosuppressing drugs while administering gene-therapeutic virii!

Isn't that quite dangerous. A bacterial free for all during the time the effect of such drugs take place????:confused:

WellCookedFetus,

You are repeating the same point for the second time; a point with which I have agreed before, if you read my previous post.

Isn't that quite dangerous. A bacterial free for all during the time the effect of such drugs take place????
That's not a problem at all. A sterile environment can be easily achieved in specialized labs.

How about a Telomerase inhibitor?

What is a Telomere?
Telomeres are the physicsl eneds of chromosomes, DNA replication can not synthesize complements to the end of any dsDNA and it shortens with every cell cycle leading to genetic corruption and cell death.

What is Telomerase?
Telomere terminal transferase, or telomerase is a protein/RNA complex that adds complementary sequence to the ends of double stranded DNA

The bad news:
Mice without the telomerase gene still develop tumors, some claim however that the longer mice telomeres are responsible. Mice can bead and reproduce for three generations before the absence of telomerase causes adverse side effects.

Last edited:
It is theorized that the inability to produce telomerase in humans is the cause of Progeria: Progeria being a rapid aging disease in which few live pass the age of 20.

interesting

This is a very interesting and intelligent thread.

I would just like to point out that not all cancers are caused by carcinogens or mutagens. It can be a "natural" process, resulting from mutations that occur when a cell replicates.

As for a viruses (the correct plural form of this word), they could prove to be very useful for this sort of thing, but they can also be the cause of mutations. The reason women have routine PAP smears is to detect the presence of human-papilloma virus (and any abnormal cells). HPV causes cervical cancer. I do not know this particular viruses lifestyle, I only use it as a point to illustrate that the potential advantages to virus-based gene therapy are also possible disadvantages. A group in France just recently had to call off their gene therapy experiments. They were treating a severe immunodeficiency that is caused by a single gene mutation with viral vectors that introduced functional copies of the gene into children. Virtually all the children were cured by this method. Unfortunately, two of the children developed leukemias, the nature of which had never been seen before. When I read this I couldn't help but think it was not surprising. The gene therapy viruses insert more or less randomly (even the best targeting is imprecise at this point). It seems likely to me that the gene therapy target could insert into the middle of an essential cell-regulatory gene, disrupting its function and causing the cell to replicate unchecked.
Until scientists can solve all these problems, as I believe they someday will, gene therapy for cancer and other genetic diseases comes with dangers that many feel outweigh its potential benefits.

rayzinnz.

Sometimes it does, but most cancers are simply not distinguishable by the immune system.

doesn't immune system recgnize cancer cells?

I read once that the immune system recognizes up to 6 cancer cells a day and eliminates them. But even the immune system is not perfect, and it only take one to slip by. As you get older, the chance of developing cancer highly increases for several reasons. 1), the immune system weakens as you get older, which increase the chance of a cancer cell not to be recognized, and 2) DNA repair is not as effecient thus increase random mutations that could be in a tumor supressor gene, or other vital cell cycle control genes.

Back