poisenous?

My husband and kids eat raw potatoes like other people eat apples. 15 yrs and so far so good.

Huh? Ok..
Well, I think we can safely say that they aren't deadly then.. lol
But I wouldn't say that it is healthy either though.

Why are they eating raw potatoes ? They taste awful.

....Why are they eating raw potatoes ? They taste awful.

awful??? No. We eat a lot of raw veggies.
zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, parsnip, carrots, turnips, radishes, tomatoes (which I think are revolting), cabbage, etc....

awful??? No. We eat a lot of raw veggies.
zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, parsnip, carrots, turnips, radishes, tomatoes (which I think are revolting), cabbage, etc....

Oh I like raw veggies (most of them), but potatoes.. yech!
I took a bite out of a raw potato once as a kid, it was horrible lol

I found this on whether or not raw potatoes are poisonous:

All potatoes contain substances known as glycoalkaloids. The most common in potatoes are solanine and chaconine. Light reacts with these substances to turn potato flesh green. The green parts of a potato are a guide to where these substances tend to accumulate which is just below the potato skin. Ingested in large quantities these toxic compounds could lead to coma or even death. In smaller quantities the most likely effects are diarrhoea, headaches and stomach cramps. Fortunately these toxic substances
are eliminated by thorough cooking. Solanine is the toxic substance found in deadly nightshade which indicates the potential seriousness of eating uncooked potatoes which are, in any case, hard to digest and unpleasantly flavoured. The only recent cases of solanine poisoning lined to potatoes have been the result of drinking potato leaf tea or green potatoes. When potatoes trun green it is an indication of higher concentrations of solanine and these parts should be cut out or the potato discarded without eating even after it has been cooked.

http://www.blurtit.com/q587628.html

Oh I like raw veggies (most of them), but potatoes.. yech!
I took a bite out of a raw potato once as a kid, it was horrible lol...

yeah, there are a lot of things I didn't like as a kid that I like now.
Peel it, salt it, eat it.

seriously? who measures potato peel thickness? Its like an apple. :shrug:

Well, the 'article' I quoted stated that most of the poisons are just beneath the skin. So I guess it makes a difference whether you make very thin peels or thick ones.

We were talking about Potato poisons in physiology class I think last week on digestion, and the Roughage removes the poison in your digestive system. But, if you extract the poision from a single potato, and inject it directly into your bloodstream, you will die.

orleander said:
My husband and kids eat raw potatoes like other people eat apples. 15 yrs and so far so good.
You mean you just found some potatoes and started eating?!!! Stay away from the mushrooms - - - ;)

Back