poisenous?

orcot

Valued Senior Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_serrulata

250px-Prunus_serrulata_%282004-04-19%29.jpeg

Simple quistion are the fruits poisenous?

(I ate between 20-40 and show no ill effects)

Although no specific mention has been seen for this species, it belongs to a genus where most, if not all members of the genus produce hydrogen cyanide, a poison that gives almonds their characteristic flavour. This toxin is found mainly in the leaves and seed and is readily detected by its bitter taste. It is usually present in too small a quantity to do any harm but any very bitter seed or fruit should not be eaten. In small quantities, hydrogen cyanide has been shown to stimulate respiration and improve digestion, it is also claimed to be of benefit in the treatment of cancer. In excess, however, it can cause respiratory failure and even death.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Prunus+serrulata

Many Prunus species produce hydrogen cyanide, usually in their leaves and seeds. This gives a characteristic taste in small (trace) quantities, and becomes bitter in larger quantities. The cyanogenetic glycosides found in Prunus species are amygdalin, prulaurasin, and prunasin. This makes some Prunus species toxic, although the fruit usually is safe.
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Prunus

Still, I'd stay on yellow alert for the next couple of hours if I were you.

they where actualy tasty, and the first thing in my new garden that looked eadible. I only posted it because the wife doesn't trust them because the birds don't eat them.

they where actualy tasty, and the first thing in my new garden that looked eadible. I only posted it because the wife doesn't trust them because the birds don't eat them.

are you kidding?! You just walked up to it and started eating? STAY AWAY FROM THE MUSHROOMS!!!!!

are you kidding?! You just walked up to it and started eating? STAY AWAY FROM THE MUSHROOMS!!!!!

Yep that's the reaction I've been getting all day, I feel fine tough

It's a flippin' cherry tree, planted in gardens and children's playgrounds all over the world. If it tastes OK, it isn't going to poison you, unless you eat lots of the bark or make some kind of distilled infusion out of smashed up cherry pits.

Apples produce cyanide - that's one reason the seeds taste bad. Potatoes produce serious poisons. The world is a dangerous place. But you can eat the cherries that grow on the garden trees. Also the plums. Spit out the pits.

I can see people eating those thinking they were green tomatoes.
BUT you said potatoes were poisonous. Were you talking about the above ground plant or the below ground tuber?

I can see people eating those thinking they were green tomatoes.
BUT you said potatoes were poisonous. Were you talking about the above ground plant or the below ground tuber?

The tuber contains the same poisons but in lower concentration. The poisons are broken down by boiling though.
I don't know how problematic eating a raw potato would be. You'd probably get off with just a stomach ache.

Back