Point and laugh at Skeptics: Giant Squid photographed in the Wild

I saw evidence of "Giant Squid" in scientific literature long ago.... Indeed, I never thought of it as myth or as a "cryptozoology" subject.

I think you might *want* it to be something worth saying "look! See!? We've been telling you all along!" But this really isn't the case. And if it were, science is about being provisional and revising. The evidence is (and has been for some time now) that the giant squid exists.

Now show us bigfoot. Or a real chupacabra (not a mangy dog).

There have been stories of giant squids attacking sea-going vessels many many years ago, long before anyone had ever had any proof of one.
At that time, there was no reason to put any more faith in the veracity of those stories than other "sea monster vs fishermen" stories.
Giant squid carcases have been wasking up on shore and turning up in fishing nest and such since long before anyone on this forum was born.
The conept of giant squids "attacking" vessels is still a bit far fetched, and that's likely why you hear about the "myth" of the giant squid. I hope so, at least, because anyone who claims that the giant squid is a mythical creature, is about a century behind the times, and you would be quite gullible to believe them.

A mangy dog named Chupacabra :cool:

Ahhhhh..... El Chupacabra. Now there would be a splendid thing.

Y'know, for many years now I've often pondered how much fun it would be to just log in at a web site somewhere or other under the name El Chupacabra and just continually spam "adverts" along the lines of -

Does your Goat need sucking?
Discretion assured!

Call El Chupacabra on 0900 666 NOW!

El Chupacabra - I go where the work is.

Mmmmmm.... happy thoughts. I just thought I'd take this opportunity to share that with you all and, who knows, perhaps drum up a bit of custom in the bargin...

Y'never know... ;)

Legend originated in Puerto Rico:

Dog-Like Monster, kills goats and sucks their blood. Also kills people.

Just google it, you'll find a million sites.

Various versions from http://www.oftm.com/chupa.html

goatsukr.gif

chupabat.gif

chupamex.jpg

Xevious said:
So why am I laughing? It shows you how much of an about face skeptics and scientists do when something from myth and legend turns out to not only be partly, but ENTIRELY true. The reactions of the "skeptics" here on Sciforums only reinforces what I've said for years about "skeptics". How amusing it is...
Xevious you are displaying a singular lack of understanding of the role of the skeptic and the nature of science.
You are correct, contrary to what some posters have implied, that at one time the existence of giant squid was doubted. This was for the wholly valid reason that no conclusive evidence for their existence had been produced. You see Xevious the skeptic says, "show me the evidence". The scientist says, "show me the evidence". When and if the evidence is produced the skeptic (and the scientist) accept it and move on.
The alternative to this approach is to believe anything and everything you are told. Since you appear to follow that alternative path perhaps you could pm me: I have a bridge in Brooklyn you may be interested in purchasing.

Squeak22 said:
Legend originated in Puerto Rico:

Dog-Like Monster, kills goats and sucks their blood. Also kills people.

Just google it, you'll find a million sites.
Ooooohhhh. Well, that's just the Puerto Rican version of the Surrey Panther. Also various other big cats supposed to have roamed the English countryside killing sheep and whatnot.

Avatar, I love the way that labelled drawing of the chupacabra makes it look like a UFO grey!

Xevious said:
This photo says it all. Just because YOU didn't see it before doesn't mean it didn't exist before.

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050928/...pTpBSBxieAA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGk2OHYzBHNlYwN0bXA-

Cryptozoology just scored another point. :p

There is no evidence to suggest such a skeptic has participated in SciForums:

* Click the 'Search this Forum' link (located near the upper right corner of the screen).
* Click the 'Advance Search' link on the window that pops up.
* Type 'giant squid' into the 'Key Word(s):' edit field.
* Ensure the drop down box under the 'Key Word(s):' edit field has 'Search Entire Post' selected.
* Ensure the 'Search Options' are configured too look for any thread with at least 0 replies and no date constraints.
* Ensure the topic list (that big ass list box) in'Search Options' area has 'Search All Open Forums; selected and the 'Also search in child forums' checkbox (located underneath the list) is selected.
* Press the 'Search Now' button.

in puerto rico they atually take the chupacabra as more than a myth or legend, youl find that most people there have claimed to of seen it, and also they mostly are very much afraid of it, its become an actual fear to them not just something in there minds as such, and about the "big cats" roaming english countryside this is infact not myth atall, i have personally seen a large black cat in the outskirts of london, it was panther/puma like, but this is actually not a local legend or myth atall, people in the 50,s 60,s were allowed to keep large cats as pets here, people thinking they are cute as cubs taking them in, more than a few got out of hand when they reached adulthood, then the government outlawed the right to own a "big cat" in england as a pet, people were given 2 choices either let them free or put them down and terminate them, most big cat owners decided they do not want to kill there pets, so inturn released them into the wild, not in england we actually have a very small population of big cats wich live in secrecy in the countryside, bieng very elusive and hardly seen, but this is just the nature of big cats wich live solitary lives, they tend to be elusive in any habitat wich they adapt to live in, i would think that these big cats might be mating on rare occasions with other big cats, inturn this will cross breed some of the cats also there coats will probably lighten up a shade because the weather here is alot colder than where there used to. so england might have a new breed of cat evolving here for the future, or they might all die out because of lack of there sheer numbers, and then thats the end of that.

*sound of very big breath being taken in.*

EmptyForceOfChi, allow me to introduce you to the "period" - '.' The way you punctuate your writing actually does affect the way people read it. Please be aware of how you are read.

Silas said:
*sound of very big breath being taken in.*

EmptyForceOfChi, allow me to introduce you to the "period" - '.' The way you punctuate your writing actually does affect the way people read it. Please be aware of how you are read.

Just pretend the commas are periods

Silas said:
Avatar, I love the way that labelled drawing of the chupacabra makes it look like a UFO grey!

haha yeah a lot of depictions of the chupacabra make it look like some sort of grey alien with a mohawk. I think it's probably related to the grey aliens, they bought it here because it was a rebellious punk and wouldn't style it's hair or cut it's claws the way they liked, and so was deemed unfit to serve on a UFO and so they stranded it here untill it quit giving them lip and cleaned up it's act!

Back