Please Explain Atheism To Me

Re: Atheism - MY definition

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
Atheism - The belief that all bad things in the world are caused by a being that does not exist.

Mike, how many times have we tried to explain to you that we don't in fact believe that God did these things as he doesn't exist, but if he does exist and what you say of him IS true, he's an evil god.

The point here is, if he DOES exist and what you say about him IS true, then we won't submit to him because the way you talk of him he sounds like an evil bastard.

Fuck God, we have technology!

Now that we have modern technology there is no longer a need to use the prehistoric comfort of religion to explain to us things we cannot understand. There are modern theories with proof to support them, so religion is now obsolete. All religions will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

I guess "theos" = god or such. Maybe I need to use the term "irreligious", as Raithere once suggested.

Re: Raithere

Originally posted by Adam
Atheism does not require the acceptance of the term "god". There are religions without gods.
I did not state that the term must be accepted, only known for the label to exist and I was arguing that the state of atheism can exist without the label. But I thought we went through this argument already. Atheism is the lack of belief in or the disbelief of God(s). Or do we want to go back through the etymology of the word again and define atheists as "not shiny"?

Theism is not the same as religion... thus atheism is not the same as irreligious. While the pairs of terms often go together they are not synonymous. One could be a religious atheist or an irreligious theist.

~Raithere

(edit)
P.S. Ooops... you already got there. I just read your last post... sorry. :)

(edit 2)
P.P.S. Personally, I'm favoring "Not Shiny" right now.

Re: Atheism - YOUR definition

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
Atheism - The belief that all bad things in the world are caused by a being that does not exist.

Dear Mike:

Thank you for the sublime example of the warped illogic that masquerades as an argument for God for so many people.

~Raithere

P.S. Before you get mad... you wanted the pot stirred. ;)

Back