Planetary / solar alignments are the main cause of earthquakes

Thanks to all who have added to my education on this subject. It seems true that earthquakes, volcanoes etc are only made known to the public through the media when disaster hits a heavily populated area.

So its easy to think that quakes only target cities...

What do you mean "in line"? A quick look at Stellarium shows the galactic center being opposite the Japan side of Earth at the time of the 9.0 quake, so why would it be affected then, and not when it was nearest, or exactly perpendicular, or whatever?

This just a new variation of the whole "gravity + alignment = disaster" silliness. Nice headline material, no substance.

Well, Rhaedas
the solar system travels in a approximate direction of the star Vega at some 38 degrees north, the galaxtic center is located in the southern hemisphere.
So i was jesting at what kind of effect it was thought to have, meaning for example a change in solar motion caused the earthquake or a near by star such as Vega perhaps or a change in interstellar space. So what would be some of the suggested details.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

How come Omerbashich is at Cornell? How come his ideas are being published on Cornell's website?

You don't get it lamont.

Intelligence and publicity are not related.

Sarah Palin, a moron who thinks that Africa is a country and graduated from community college got nominated as Mccain's vice president.

Morons scream louder then intelligent people. Just because someone has a website or is published doesn't mean they are an idiot. It just means that there was someone out there dumb enough to believe them. That they conned someone into believing them.

Lamont, for every qualified person you find that accept this idiotic theory I could probably find 1,000 that say they are a raving idiot.

You don't get it lamont.

Intelligence and publicity are not related.

Sarah Palin, a moron who thinks that Africa is a country and graduated from community college got nominated as Mccain's vice president.

Morons scream louder then intelligent people. Just because someone has a website or is published doesn't mean they are an idiot. It just means that there was someone out there dumb enough to believe them. That they conned someone into believing them.

Lamont, for every qualified person you find that accept this idiotic theory I could probably find 1,000 that say they are a raving idiot.

I think I do get it. You haven't answered my question on why this material has been permitted on Cornell's website and covered with their logo if they don't believe it, or at least don't support the contentions made in the paper.

I never said I agreed with the "georesonator" theory, and it does seem far-fetched. In fact, I'm not really interested much in the theory at all.

I don't like anything that doesn't make logical sense, and this is one of them, like the "newscasters talking gibberish" discussed on another thread.

Here's another of Omerbashich's paper's, published yet again as a preprint in the Cornell library archives. These archives never seems to be properly published, but then they are not removed either

http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0876

This one seems staggeringly complex to me, but maybe it's a simple case of "bullshit baffles brains". I dont know.

Last edited:
I think I do get it. You haven't answered my question on why this material has been permitted on Cornell's website and covered with their logo if they don't believe it, or at least don't support the contentions made in the paper.

I never said I agreed with the "georesonator" theory, and it does seem far-fetched. In fact, I'm not really interested much in the theory at all.

I don't like anything that doesn't make logical sense, and this is one of them, like the "newscasters talking gibberish" discussed on another thread.

Here's another of Omerbashich's paper's, published yet again as a preprint in the Cornell library archives. These archives never seems to be properly published, but then they are not removed either

http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0876

This one seems staggeringly complex to me, but maybe it's a simple case of "bullshit baffles brains". I dont know.

Doesn't it make more sense that since this guy is a professor there is no sort of editor that actually reads through this stuff to check rather then for Cornell to say it does?

And even lets say that Cornell does believe it's true. Their official position would be defined by an expert group of maybe a dozen or even two dozen experts teaching there.

Its one university, and there are still dozens out there that will call this guy a quack.

Georesonator is... you know what I'm not in the debunking mood at the moment, maybe later.

These Cornell Library Archives are a great way of getting unreviewed work into the scientific community. Virtually all Omerbashich's papers are there and they are all accessible on Google Scholar, no peer review required, it seems.

Home page: http://arxiv.org/

I should start publishing some new stuff there...saves the constant arguments with snotty-nosed prima donnas..haha

Last edited:
Even if all the planets were on the same line from Earth's POV their gravitational force on Earth would be less than the slightly changing force of the sun (Earth's orbit is not exactly circular). The moon alone makes much more force on the Earth than all the aligned planets can.

But it is the gradient of gravity that can pull with different forces on different parts of the Earth and have some slight effect on when Earth quake may happen. The moon does put a stronger gradient on the Earth than the sun does so, wrt to earth quakes, it is the most important body in the heavens - I.e. may effect the timing of a pending quake.

But the moon does not cause earth quakes, only perhaps slightly change when they occur. The cause of earth quakes is not in the heavens, but deep in the Earth. The plates of the earth's surface move wrt to each other, due to drag force on the solid bottoms from liquid flows below them. They however, resist this motion by mutual contact friction. That does not permanently stop their movement one wrt to another. It makes stain and stress which is stored energy accumulation, but eventually the materials in contact along their fault lines can not support the stresses and they rupture with sudden motion we call earth quakes.

Man can also cause tiny near surface earth quakes by increasing the surface mass locally - for example with water filling in behind a large new dam.

The only effect of aligned planets is upon the behavior of some quite ignorant humans and a few others who profit from their ignorance by publishing facts about alignment of the planets.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come Omerbashich is at Cornell? How come his ideas are being published on Cornell's website?
He might have done good research in the past but that doesn't automatically validate his new ideas. Furthermore putting stuff on a website, even a university one, isn't 'published'. The university doesn't check what goes on their servers, they aren't endorsing the validity of the work.

These Cornell Library Archives are a great way of getting unreviewed work into the scientific community. Virtually all Omerbashich's papers are there and they are all accessible on Google Scholar, no peer review required, it seems.

ArXiv doesn't really count as a journal though, it's still important people send their work for review.

I should start publishing some new stuff there...saves the constant arguments with snotty-nosed prima donnas..haha
You won't be allowed to put your work there. You need a university email to get automatic endorsement or you need someone with endorsement rights to vouch for you. This is so it isn't flooded with hacks wasting people's time. ArXiv doesn't peer review but it assumes the people with university emails or who have been endorsed are generally not going to abuse the abilities to put work there. Some people slip through the net though, hence why sending your work to journals is essential.

Some people who have university emails (even a Nobel Prize winner!!) are banned from ArXiv for abusing it. The point of ArXiv is to get your work to people immediately while its being reviewed, not to just skip the review process entirely.

You haven't answered my question on why this material has been permitted on Cornell's website and covered with their logo if they don't believe it, or at least don't support the contentions made in the paper.
Universities provide their staff and postgrads with web hosting services. Typically they'll have some kind of template, so their logo appears there. The pages aren't reviewed before going up, other than a quick check to make sure its not illegal or offensive. No one checks the validity of the work and a staff member putting pdfs up doesn't mean the university endorses the work.

If you've only just heard of ArXiv then I question whether you have the science background to evaluate any papers there. Of course papers there seem staggeringly complex, they are literally the forefront of research in science. Doesn't mean they are all bullshit though, more likely you simply lack the knowledge to understand them. I don't understand much there but I understand a fair amount of the theoretical physics section, because that's my area.

Given your naivety on what place review plays in all of this I think you just don't have the necessary understanding of science.

Doesn't the words "unreviewed" or "no peer review required" set off any alarms?

Its basically the nice way of saying "your work may be silly and nobody else is dumb enough to believe it, but if you pay us we will publish you anyways".

Well I confess to being a lousy theoretical physicist. My apologies for that. But having been through the scientific peer review process (successfully) on over thirty occasions, I would say I have a bit of experience of that.

Are you saying you're a theoretical physicist and have been through the peer review process in that area on more than 30 occasions? I find that hard to believe if you've only just found out about ArXiv. ArXiv was started in the 90s and known to everyone in the theoretical physics community.

Are you in academia? I also find that notion a little hard to believe given your comments about personal pages on university websites.

What precisely is your area of research and what sort of journals have you got work in?

I was a reviewer for Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology for a few years; (a Royal Society of Chemistry journal).

Back