Piracy

More like 15-20% but certainly not 2%, perhaps in 1925. often times many are independent.

pffffttt. not hardly. where on earth did you get this figure?

and had you actually read the relevant posts, you would see that i was referring to major labels. independents--like myself--actually get closer to 50 percent (though not always), post production costs.

pffffttt. not hardly. where on earth did you get this figure?

From a musicians web site.

and had you actually read the relevant posts, you would see that i was referring to major labels. independents--like myself--actually get closer to 50 percent (though not always), post production costs.

oh ok, and what difference does that make? You get 50% and guess you have no problem with people illegally downloading your music.

learn how to read, John.

I read and comprehend just fine. In fact i was one of the best in my class. Hence, the theme i see emerging.

And another thing, post production and other costs are operating expenses and every business has expenses. Major labels have the same expenses but the costs are MUCH higher for them.

From a musicians web site.

source? and, sorry, but even if you did read this, it is incorrect.

oh ok, and what difference does that make? You get 50% and guess you have no problem with people illegally downloading your music.

correct. because the people who download my music have often purchased other albums of mine, and they likely would purchase the album if they could. can i prove this? no. still, i'm not complaining about piracy specifically (though i have other complaints).

and what difference does it make? did you bother reading the relevant posts? rhetorical question.

I read and comprehend just fine. In fact i was one of the best in my class. Hence, the theme i see emerging.

the theme being that countless people are constantly pointing out to you that you suffer in reading comprehension?

shall i provide links? oh look, there's one by WillNever just a few posts back!

And another thing, post production and other costs are operating expenses and every business has expenses. Major labels have the same expenses but the costs are MUCH higher for them.

so much higher that it justifies 2 percent, as opposed to 50 percent? so are you suggesting that it costs more per unit to produce 100 thousand cds, than it does to produce 2 thousand cds? interesting. please, tell me all about these "hidden" costs--do you run a duplication plant?

I said that i read it on a musicians web site, i have no reason to lie as i am not in the business. Think about it logically parmalee, who in there right mind would work for 2%? Maybe child laborer. I read on the site it was around 15%, but sometimes it is more than that. If musicians cannot make a living the record companies would have no one to hire.

correct. because the people who download my music have often purchased other albums of mine, and they likely would purchase the album if they could. can i prove this? no. still, i'm not complaining about piracy specifically (though i have other complaints).

You are making excuses and i see you dont want people ripping you off.

the theme being that countless people are constantly pointing out to you that you suffer in reading comprehension?

That is why i am not a follower and it is good to see who is.:D

I said that i read it on a musicians web site, i have no reason to lie as i am not in the business. Think about it logically parmalee, who in there right mind would work for 2%? Maybe child laborer. I read on the site it was around 15%, but sometimes it is more than that. If musicians cannot make a living the record companies would have no one to hire.

ok, suppose a solo major label artist sells a million copies at $12.99--he or she would get about 2 million bucks, according to you (or your "sources" :rolleyes:).

not quite, john. you seem to be forgetting that most musicians also perform, and that is where they make the bulk of their income.

You are making excuses and i see you dont want people ripping you off.

huh? where is this "excuse"? and how do you conclude that i "dont want people ripping (me) off"? of course i don't, but i don't consider people who copy my music to be "ripping me off"--unless, of course, they mass produce it and sell it; but this is not what we are talking about.

That is why i am not a follower and it is good to see who is.:D
[/quote]

again: huh? i don't even know why i am asking, but can you please explain this?

and what's with the red ink? are you a moderator now? :p

Parmalee, you keep adding your own stipulation. You add that they are solo artists and selling millions of cd's (not if everyone is stealing them btw) but most are just surviving.

huh? where is this "excuse"? and how do you conclude that i "dont want people ripping (me) off"? of course i don't, but i don't consider people who copy my music to be "ripping me off"--unless, of course, they mass produce it and sell it; but this is not what we are talking about.

because that whole response to me contained 'coulda\woulda\shoulda'

Parmalee, you keep adding your own stipulation. You add that they are solo artists and selling millions of cd's (not if everyone is stealing them btw) but most are just surviving.

stipulations, wtf?! that's called an "example," John.

and "most are just surviving": what does that mean? i assume that everyone who isn't dead is surviving, am i wrong?

sorry, artists on major label do NOT receive 15 to 20 percent of sales.

because that whole response to me contained 'coulda\woulda\shoulda'

ahhh, so subjunctive=excuse. interesting.

and "most are just surviving": what does that mean? i assume that everyone who isn't dead is surviving, am i wrong?

It means that the MAJORITY are not millionaires but work hard for little money. So you justify it by stealing more from them.

It means that the MAJORITY are not millionaires but work hard for little money. So you justify it by stealing more from them.

wtf?! the, uh, "content" of your posts suggests to me that you are rapidly devolving. i am more than adequately familiar with psychotic breaks, John, and i suggest that you seek professional help.

wtf?! the, uh, "content" of your posts suggests to me that you are rapidly devolving. i am more than adequately familiar with psychotic breaks, John, and i suggest that you seek professional help.

Yes, i rapidly devolved in the span of two posts.

Well, golly, first you're a successful musician making plenty of money even with all of the piracy going on in the word, ...then you've added knowledge and experience and expertise as a copyright attorney, ...now you're a fuckin' psychologist/psychiatrist, too? Wow, you're my fuckin' hero! :D

Baron Max

Well, golly, first you're a successful musician making plenty of money even with all of the piracy going on in the word, ...then you've added knowledge and experience and expertise as a copyright attorney, ...now you're a fuckin' psychologist/psychiatrist, too? Wow, you're my fuckin' hero! :D

Baron Max

it doesn't take a psychologist/psychiatrist to see that John is rapidly devolving--why, two days ago i would have suspected John to be a rocket scientist, and the sanest amongst us; yet now he appears to be a raving lunatic.

and where did i add my "knowledge and experience and expertise as a copyright attorney"? i must have overlooked that part.

it doesn't take a psychologist/psychiatrist to see that John is rapidly devolving--why, two days ago i would have suspected John to be a rocket scientist, and the sanest amongst us; yet now he appears to be a raving lunatic.

:::thankyou:

Back