Picture taken in back yard.

ncminus

Registered Member
I was taking a picture of the storm that was about to hit us and saw none of what you see in the pic now.I have not seen anything like this before and was wondering if anyone knew what the little buggers are?

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

There are like 2 more little anomolies that I didn't arrow,so see what you think?I wanted to upload the high res. version but it's just too big.14.5mb

Looks to me like a simple light interaction with the lens. Glare, white light fill etc being examples of light interactions with optics.

Quite simply, if you didn't see this with your eye, but it was caught on camera, whatever it was only looks this way for exposures of between 0.1s and about 0.01s (ish), ie, faster than your eye can see, and just a little too fast to get a clear picture of. I'm guessing at 0.01s because being cloudy and dark the exposure would be fairly long. Therefore the suggestion that it is some sort of bug, expecially a fairly shiny one, like a dragon fly, is quite sound. Being brighter than it's surroundings, especially in low light, would give this stark contrast. It was probably fairly close to the camera too, closer than you expect looking at the picture.

It's nothing to get excited about. Just two alien flying saucers passing by overhead from another solar system out for a weekend cruise. They're just crusing around looking for a good ole planet earth fast food resturant to grab a quick hamburger and fries and then head on home.

One question Ncminus, when you took the photo, were you just taking one of scenery or were you hoping to find something interesting to look at?

Theres another phenomena that this has reminded me of as well.
If I find it I'll post it, very interesting.

Those remind me of model rockets.... and I am not talking about the Estes $20 rockets. These remind me of the high power ones... could be anywhere between an F engine to P... but considering the clouds, likely just an F or G white lightening motors.

However two at the same time? Maybe... but not likely.

Absane said:
Those remind me of model rockets.... and I am not talking about the Estes $20 rockets. These remind me of the high power ones... could be anywhere between an F engine to P... but considering the clouds, likely just an F or G white lightening motors.

However two at the same time? Maybe... but not likely.

Yea......Like I said, just two alien flying saucers from another solar system cruising by overhead looking for a 'In & Out Burger'. Only logical answer. :D

Last edited:
Novacane said:
Yea......Like I said, just two alien flying saucers from another solar system cruising by overhead looking for a 'In & Out Burger'. Only logical answer.

Haha.. seems to be the only loophole to my solution ;)

But launching two high power rockets at the same time is always a bad idea... but if these guys are doing it in their field then oh well.

My advice would be to call the FAA and ask if anyone applied for an air space waiver around that time in that area. The reason is that if something (rockets or ANYTHING else) is over 1 pound and goes a certain altitude, by LAW they must notify the FAA and get a waiver.. or they could get into some trouble...

Don't mess with the feds :p Try messing with the FCC :eek:

Though I assume you live in the US.. if not, call whatever aviation administration you got.

Back