Pheromones

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
I see this lady in a lot of magazines. Have you ever bought pheromones? Do you think they work in humans?
I read that Paris Hilton added pheromones to her line of perfume.

I haven´t bought them, but off course they work; there have been studies about this.

"The research, conducted on female participants, discovered that when exposed to higher concentrations of the synthesized pheromone, they subsequently exerienced an increased positive mood, as well as a decreased negative mood."
Source

Research about male sweat

I see this lady in a lot of magazines. Have you ever bought pheromones? Do you think they work in humans? I read that Paris Hilton added pheromones to her line of perfume.
M*W: There's no telling what Paris Hilton does. I do believe that humans can be attracted to certain odors, but what may be an attractive odor to one person may stink to someone else.

why would we need them? We've lost our fur and tail. Why not lose the pheromones as well?

I have little evidence about human Pheromones, but believe they not only exist, but have powerful effect on human behavior. (On a personnal note, although not conscious of any pheromone or "smell" I enjoy breathing with my nose very close to wife' skin when we go to bed to sleep.)

Also as in mice they seem to be unique to each group of individuals born together, I suspect that whom you fall in love with may be strongly under pheromone influence.

This mouse experiment was to separate (by ceserain operation) and raise separately to sexual maturity the male and female siblings.* Then they were placed in a large cage with many others of both sexes. The siblins do not mate. (Some how they know they are brothers and sisters and this is "tabo" even among mice.) If a male is place in cage with only his sisters, he will eventually mate with some of them, but not if other choices are available.
-------------
*With unrelated others of the same sex, as I recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, animal pheromones, but what about human? All they have are synthetic.
Just out of curiosity, but what did you suppose synthetic pheromones were based upon chemically? As in, what were we using as reference for the synthesis?

Just out of curiosity, but what did you suppose synthetic pheromones were based upon chemically? As in, what were we using as reference for the synthesis?

They just looked at animal ones and made fake ones, said it was human. They had to make synthetic ones because they couldn't find real ones. Have you ever had fake cheese, made with oil, not milk. Kinda like the real thing, but so not really.

orleander said:
why would we need them? We've lost our fur and tail. Why not lose the pheromones as well?
To help reduce inbreeding depression, and improve the chances of one's mating with someone who has a differently set up immune system.

To help choose a partner who is actually attracted, as well as attractive, thereby increasing the chances of willing contribution to a long childraising and/or the child's being one's own.

And so forth.

We haven't lost our fur. We've almost lost our fur. That's a big difference. Genes don't die off very quickly just because they're not needed. Our DNA is full of "junk genes" that are not even expressed. A junk gene that gives us a physical characteristic that's not harmful can survive for many generations, because it's not being selected against. Genes that work against survival disappear quickly.
On a personal note, although not conscious of any pheromone or "smell" I enjoy breathing with my nose very close to wife's skin when we go to bed to sleep.
You would not smell it. The emerging layman's definition of a human pheromone is an "unconscious odor."
Somehow they know they are brothers and sisters and this is "taboo" even among mice.
They don't "know" it is taboo; that's the whole point about pheromones. They trigger instinctive reactions. The scent of a mouse's own bloodline is simply not sexually attractive.

That's a reasonable hypothesis for humans too. We seem to have a strong sexual attraction to potential mates outside of our own gene pool from just physical appearance, so pheromones may have evolved to reinforce it. Miscegenation (cross-breeding of human "races") was a serious taboo in the Old South (of the USA) and even in the Reconstructed South (after the Civil War a failed attempt was made to rebuild it in the image of the North), but it was an artificial taboo. Planters routinely mated with their female slaves and had what were called "mulatto" children. Modern DNA analysis has shown that this practice was widespread.

One of the most sensational cases was South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond, who died just four years ago, one of the most embarrassingly Unreconstructed Confederates in modern America. He was a rabid segregationist and once ran for President under the banner of the short-lived "Dixiecrat" Party, whose platform was to reverse the trend toward racial integration. Shortly before his death it was discovered that he had had a secret affair with a black woman and she had borne his child.

Even humans who claim to hate people of other ethnic groups can feel a very strong sexual attraction to them. For those of us who think ethnic diversity is just great, the attraction can be overwhelming. :)

Not all mammals are like this at all. Gorillas are just the opposite. The alpha male forms a pack with his daughters and granddaughters and continues to breed with them. Inbreeding is so extreme in gorillas that biologists say if you look at the skulls from two gorillas on opposite ends of their range, you'd think they were two different species. Dogs have no aversion to mating with their own siblings, parents or other close relatives.

...Not all mammals are like this at all. Gorillas are just the opposite. The alpha male forms a pack with his daughters and granddaughters and continues to breed with them. Inbreeding is so extreme in gorillas that biologists say if you look at the skulls from two gorillas on opposite ends of their range, you'd think they were two different species. Dogs have no aversion to mating with their own siblings, parents or other close relatives.

so how would incest be considered unatural? Was there a point in human evolution where it was natural? (not talking about royalty and keeping the bloodlines 'pure')

and I take it nobody here has ever bought pheromones??

Back