Peter's Confession about Jesus

And according to the historical writings (Irenaeus of Lyon) mr. Peter was alive and kicking in year 79 - even though he was supposed to have been crucified and died in
year 66 ........

One more funny thing - in the second century two sites competed about beeing the burial place for mr.Peter : St.Sebastiano on the Appian way and the other was
the supposed tomb on vatican hill.
It seems that the life and whereabouts of mr. Peter is clouded in a lot of uncertainty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Insane said:
So according to NT, Peter was never in Rome
That Peter was crucified in Rome is a long standing tradition, as are the many events on Jesus' walk to Golgotha. The NT does not deny that Peter went to Rome, or that Mary and Mary Magdalan traveled together and lived in Ephesus. If you reject unwritten tradition, you might as well not be a christian, or even a bible christian, since it has always been an unwritten tradition among all christians to venerate scripture and use it for edification.

Provita said:
Then why does the greek word for rock, yes it is petra (easily remembered in Greek class cause of petrolium :p ) , appear in the dative case, which translates as if to mean "the rock next to me" ? He was speaking directly to Peter, so if Peter was the rock, their cases would agree, simple rule. "You (nominative, unless its understood in the verb) are Peter (nominative, agreeing with you), and on this rock (dative, not agreeing with peter whatsoever by instead, when understood like most greek, means basically "this rock right next to us") I will build my chuch (accusative) ... etc.

Provita,

here you can find by a search the Greek line in question
PETROS

Last edited:
Lawdog said:
Provita,

here you can find by a search the Greek line in question
PETROS

petros is nominative -os ending

the words petros and petra were synonyms in first century Greek. They meant "small stone" and "large rock" in some ancient Greek poetry, centuries before the time of Christ, but that distinction had disappeared from the language by the time Matthew’s Gospel was rendered in Greek. The difference in meaning can only be found in Attic Greek, but the New Testament was written in Koine Greek—an entirely different dialect. In Koine Greek, both petros and petra simply meant "rock." If Jesus had wanted to call Simon a small stone, the Greek lithos would have been used. The argument doesnt work and shows a faulty knowledge of Greek.

We know that Jesus spoke Aramaic because some of his words are preserved for us in the Gospels. Look at Matthew 27:46, where he says from the cross, ‘Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?’ That isn’t Greek; it’s Aramaic, and it means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’

What’s more in Paul’s epistles—four times in Galatians and four times in 1 Corinthians—we have the Aramaic form of Simon’s new name preserved for us. In our English Bibles it comes out as Cephas. That isn’t Greek. That’s a transliteration of the Aramaic word Kepha (rendered as Kephas in its Hellenistic form).

And what does Kepha mean? It means a rock, the same as petra. (It doesn’t mean a little stone or a pebble. What Jesus said to Simon in Matthew 16:18 was this: ‘You are Kepha, and on this kepha I will build my Church.’

When you understand what the Aramaic says, you see that Jesus was equating Simon and the rock; he wasn’t contrasting them. We see this vividly in some modern English translations, which render the verse this way: ‘You are Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church.’ In French one word, pierre, has always been used both for Simon’s new name and for the rock.

Stumped yet?

"Wait a second," you say. "If kepha means the same as petra, why don’t we read in the Greek, ‘You are Petra, and on this petra I will build my Church’? Why, for Simon’s new name, does Matthew use a Greek word, Petros, which means something quite different from petra?"

Because he had no choice, Greek and Aramaic have different grammatical structures. In Aramaic you can use kepha in both places in Matthew 16:18. In Greek you encounter a problem arising from the fact that nouns take differing gender endings.

You have masculine, feminine, and neuter nouns. The Greek word petra is feminine. You can use it in the second half of Matthew 16:18 without any trouble. But you can’t use it as Simon’s new name, because you can’t give a man a feminine name—at least back then you couldn’t. You have to change the ending of the noun to make it masculine. When you do that, you get Petros, which was an already-existing word meaning rock!

I admit that’s an imperfect rendering of the Aramaic; you lose part of the play on words. In English, where we have ‘Peter’ and ‘rock,’ you lose all of it. But that’s the best you can do in Greek."

Beyond the grammatical evidence, the structure of the narrative does not allow for a downplaying of Peter’s role in the Church. Look at the way Matthew 16:15-19 is structured. After Peter gives a confession about the identity of Jesus, the Lord does the same in return for Peter. Jesus does not say, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are an insignificant pebble and on this rock I will build my Church. . . . I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven." Jesus is giving Peter a three-fold blessing, including the gift of the keys to the kingdom, not undermining his authority. To say that Jesus is downplaying Peter flies in the face of the context. Jesus is installing Peter as a form of chief steward or prime minister under the King of Kings by giving him the keys to the kingdom. As can be seen in Isaiah 22:22, kings in the Old Testament appointed a chief steward to serve under them in a position of great authority to rule over the inhabitants of the kingdom. Jesus quotes almost verbatum from this passage in Isaiah, and so it is clear what he has in mind. He is raising Peter up as a father figure to the household of faith (Is. 22:21), to lead them and guide the flock (John 21:15-17). This authority of the prime minister under the king was passed on from one man to another down through the ages by the giving of the keys, which were worn on the shoulder as a sign of authority. Likewise, the authority of Peter has been passed down for 2000 years by means of the papacy.

Last edited:
Lawdog said:
Gordon said:
Some simple facts.

Koine, (which you transliterated incorrectly) Greek was used among commoners and intellectuals. Latin was used by the occupying Romans. Everyone knows that occupying armies speak do not abandon their native tongue. Jews would be expected to speak Latin to the Roman soldiery.

You dont know Greek do you....? the Grk word episcopus "overseer" was slurred in the Latin and western usage to "Bishop" .

I studied Greek at school and do have a qualification in it actually. My mispelling of 'Koine' was due to fingers working faster than the brain. You are quite wrong about elder and bishop.

The words for 'elder' are Strongs 4245 and 4850 the Greek words presbuteros and sumpresbuteros. the former is a comparative form of the adjective meaning old. It is literally therefore 'elder'. The derivation of 'bishop' is from the Latin (which I also have a qualification in) 'ebiscopus'. This in turn derived from the Greek episcopus which is derived from the verb to watch and means someone who watches over, an overseer. As you can see (and check) the roots are competely different and there is no connection.

Even if you accept 'overseer' to be similar to a current 'bishop' (which in itself is in no way proven and it is in fact quite unlikely that they were in any way similar), Peter refers to himself as an elder not an overseer. In fact he only uses 'overseer' twice, once to refer to Christ himself and once in 1 Peter 5:

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ's sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock

This passage again highlights some substantial differences between the new testament concept of an 'overseer' and the RC concept of a 'bishop' who in its highly hierarchical structure most certainly do 'lord it over those entrusted to them'.

Note also he is telling fellow 'elders' to serve as 'overseers'. He does not refer to himself as one.

Lawdog said:
No it was not, you have believed lies.

Consider the following:

Modern Popes do not have to be eyewitnesses or have miraculous powers in order to hold the office of successor of Peter. Unlike the heresiarchs and gurus that your false christianity adheres to, we do not simply make declarations and claim that "the spirit guided me", no anyoner that would believe that is naive. The Church speaks authoritatively as one voice together, The Pope in union with the Cardinals. .

As you have no knowledge of my christian beliefs this is dogmatic based insulting at its worse. If you seriously believe that the RC church is unified, you are suffering serious delusion. For instance I would have no problem with most of the beliefs of the English Roman Catholic church (although clearly not all) but in Mexico for instance the same Roman Catholic church appears to have become a semi pagan madonna worship cult that has little commonality with christianity except the same cast of characters.

Lawdog said:
Your premise is that the Church cannot evolve or change or make hierarchic descisions appropriate for the age. Another false premise. .

Whilst I did not set out to criticise the RC church generally, I cannot let this comment pass. If you will be honest with yourself for one moment you will have to admit that the RC church has fundamentally changed many of its beliefs over time, An example would be the early adoption of the Greek geocentric universe (not supported by scripture) which caused the problem with Galileo. The RC church then had to change its view. The last Pope seemed to be dabbling with the acceptance of a form of theistic evolution, which certainly was not accepted in the past. This is the sort of problem you get yourself into if your belief set is human (Popes are human) orientated rather than scripture based.

Lawdog said:
The word Pope was not used in the bible, but nor is the word Trinity among many other essential words. Up until the early medieval times he was merely called the Bishop of Rome. Pope means "papa" and endearing title.

The trinity is clearly indicated, Popes are not. There is no indication in scripture that there was a chief 'overseer' in Rome (or anywhere else) who was meant to be in charge of the whole church. In fact all scriptural references are against there being any overall chief. 'Christ is the head of the Church'.

Matthew 23 makes this quite clear.

8"But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. 11The greatest among you will be your servant. 12For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Note that one of other titles for the Pope, 'Holy Father' is expressly forbidden in this passage. In fact 'Pope' itself (from the Latin for father) is effectively forbidden also.

regards,

Gordon.

Lawdog said:
50. Peter wrote his first epistle from Rome, according to most scholars, as its bishop, and as the universal bishop (or, pope) of the early Church. "Babylon" (1 Pet 5:13) is regarded as code for Rome.

There is no agreement amongst scholars (except Roman Catholic ones). The same would apply to the other comments about 'bishop' ('universal' or not).

Apart from Revelation's much later figurative usage, Strongs 897 (used and translated 'Babylon' in 1 Peter 5) appears in the New Testament on four other occassions to refer to a real city and in each case it is Babylon itself, not Rome.

By comparison Rome is specifically mentioned in the New Testament 15 times as 'Rome' so why would anyone (without a specific RC agenda) deduce that here uniquely a reference to a specific real city called Babylon actually refers to a real specific city called Rome? By any reasonable objective (not RC dogma) analysis Babylon here is not really very likely to mean Rome.
I have read the support for the theory that Peter was in Rome but there is not one contemporary source (scriptural or otherwise) that says Peter was definitely in Rome. Certainly scripture that quotes a different city cannot really be evidence.

Certainly Babylon as a great city had long since perished but there was certainly a Jewish community still in that area which was also within the Roman empire at the time.

Again if Peter was in charge of the whole church as the 'Bishop' (or more correctly 'overseer') of Rome, you would have expected at least one reference to that somewhere in the later new testament books, but there is not one such reference. As I have stated elsewhere in another post, the concept of an overall human head of the church is anathema to both Jesus and the apostles in the scripture that we actually do have.

The problem is that if you modify scripture in accordance with non scriptural (and later) human traditions, where do you stop? And unless you are a Roman Catholic it's no good quoting papal authority. To the rest of us he's just a man like any other.

regards,

Gordon.

Lawdog said:
This authority of the prime minister under the king was passed on from one man to another down through the ages by the giving of the keys, which were worn on the shoulder as a sign of authority. Likewise, the authority of Peter has been passed down for 2000 years by means of the papacy.

But the King in this case is Jesus Christ himself. If you consider the following actual history of papal selection:

'In 1378, after the death of the French-born Pope Gregory XI, the Romans rioted to ensure the election of an Italian; the cardinals complied by choosing Pope Urban VI. Later, in the same year, French and other cardinals moved to Fondi and elected another rival Pope. The Council of Pisa met in 1409 to resolve the conflict, but only managed to elect a third claimant. The conflict was only resolved by the Council of Constance (which met between 1414 and 1418), which received the abdication of one claimant and deposed the two others. The Council then proceeded to elect Pope Martin V, ending the Papal Schism. Since that election, it was declared that no council would have authority over the Pope, and that a papal election could not be undone.

It should be noted that through much of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the number of cardinals often hovered around the 20s, travel was difficult and usually at least some cardinals did not get to the conclave in time, and the cardinals were usually factionalized along political and family lines. Hence, the papacy came under family control, national (French of Italian or specifically Roman, for instance) control, and there were sometimes conclaves that lasted months and even years -- in a divided, small college, the shift of a vote or two could make signficant differences'

So at times there was more than one pope. At other times none at all for some time. This is not exactly an unbroken chain for passing authority!

So how can you possibly believe that there was an unbroken line of choice of popes by the King (Christ)? These selections were clearly human decisions based on all the normal human prejudices and weaknesses. Not surprisingly evidence indicates that in the past there were often some very bad decisions made (not what you would expect if they were divinely chosen).

Rodrigo Borgia (Alexander VI) was one (albeit extreme) example who despite everything was still honoured by appearing on a Vatican City stamp! The nearest equivalent to that would be present day Germany issuing a stamp with a picture of Adolf Hitler on it!

How can you, as a rational thinking person, honestly believe that men like Alexander VI were seriously chosen by Christ to be in charge of the whole christian church?

To most of us, this is absolutely incredible (in the true sense of the word)!

regards,

Gordon.

Lawdog said:
That Peter was crucified in Rome is a long standing tradition, as are the many events on Jesus' walk to Golgotha. The NT does not deny that Peter went to Rome, or that Mary and Mary Magdalan traveled together and lived in Ephesus. If you reject unwritten tradition, you might as well not be a christian, or even a bible christian, since it has always been an unwritten tradition among all christians to venerate scripture and use it for edification.

It is not 'an unwritten tradition among all christians to venerate scripture and use it for edification' the instruction to read scripture is included within scripture. Jesus refers to people requiring to know scripture many many times.

The Roman Catholic church of course opposed the translation of scripture into native languages for centuries and insisted that the Bible (and church services) were conducted in Latin, a language which hardly any of the congregation would have been able to understand. There is of course still a faction within the Roman Catholic Church which believes that services should be in Latin.

'The Second Vatican Council (1962–1965) was convened by Pope John XXIII primarily as a pastoral council, to make the historic teachings of the Catholic Church clear to the modern world. It issued documents on a number of topics including the nature of the Church, the mission of the laity, and religious freedom. Vatican II also issued instructions for a revision of the liturgy, which led to the intermediate 1965 Missal and later the Mass of Paul VI or novus ordo mass. The most visible element of these reforms was that the mass could now be celebrated in the vernacular as well as in Latin. (However, it was intended that Latin continue to have priority.)'

Unscriptural tradition may be useful on occassions but it has always to be taken on board very carefully and weighed against scripture and certainly should never have equal or greater authority than scripture itself. Scripture warns against that very thing.

regards,

Gordon.

Gordon said:

8"But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. 11The greatest among you will be your servant. 12For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Note that one of other titles for the Pope, 'Holy Father' is expressly forbidden in this passage. In fact 'Pope' itself (from the Latin for father) is effectively forbidden also.

regards,
Gordon.

Hi Gordon ,

You have a very good point here - according to NT the concept of having a pope is pure blasphemy .......

Lawdog said:

MW: Truth is... Peter died for his faith in christianity. Peter died and did not reach infalability. Where does Peter come into the picture? He represents the planet Jupiter.

Gordon said:
Rodrigo Borgia (Alexander VI)
his bastard son Cesare is one of my favorite historical characters. he was reputed to have regularly had young boys kidnapped so that he could drink their blood.
true or not, you have to be a very "special" person to garner such a reputation that someone hundreds of years later can read something like that about you. :)

The words for 'elder' are Strongs 4245 and 4850 the Greek words presbuteros and sumpresbuteros. the former is a comparative form of the adjective meaning old. It is literally therefore 'elder'. The derivation of 'bishop' is from the Latin (which I also have a qualification in) 'ebiscopus'. This in turn derived from the Greek episcopus which is derived from the verb to watch and means someone who watches over, an overseer. As you can see (and check) the roots are competely different and there is no connection.
Your counterpoint is typical of those who cannot argue against a correction: your strategy: repeat the correction as if you yourself had come up with it.
If you knew language, you would realize that the Latins took words like ebiscopus from their more ancient neighbors, the Greeks, and changed the "p" into a more familiar "b", the e in front of b drops off through the passage of centuries..... episcopus-ebiscopus-bishop

Even if you accept 'overseer' to be similar to a current 'bishop' (which in itself is in no way proven and it is in fact quite unlikely that they were in any way similar), Peter refers to himself as an elder not an overseer. In fact he only uses 'overseer' twice, once to refer to Christ himself and once in 1 Peter 5:

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ's sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock
Note the word "as": This usage would be similar to the U.S. President adressing the military "as commander-in-chief." It doesnt stop him from being President. Peter's inclusion of himself among the council of elders doesnt change his status as Bishop.

This passage again highlights some substantial differences between the new testament concept of an 'overseer' and the RC concept of a 'bishop' who in its highly hierarchical structure most certainly do 'lord it over those entrusted to them'.
The Church hierachy does not "lord it" over people. But in case you hadnt noticed, we are at war with the principalities and powers like Paul said. Therefore the Church is structured in a military hierarchic fashion and requires the obedience of its faithful.

As you have no knowledge of my christian beliefs this is dogmatic based insulting at its worse. If you seriously believe that the RC church is unified, you are suffering serious delusion. For instance I would have no problem with most of the beliefs of the English Roman Catholic church (although clearly not all) but in Mexico for instance the same Roman Catholic church appears to have become a semi pagan madonna worship cult that has little commonality with christianity except the same cast of characters.
I believe that christian beliefs outside of the Catholic Tradition have validity in as much as the conform to what the Church has constantly taught. However, the great scandal of protestantism is that they hold such high moral expectations of their followers but offer only two sacraments instead of seven, thats like going into battle with only two pieces of armour from a seven peice suit.

Also, they can only be traced back to Luther, although they often claim further heritage with medieval heretics. The whole ugly Da Vinci Code drama we have heard is the result of protestantism's recent marriage to neo-paganism.

Whilst I did not set out to criticise the RC church generally, I cannot let this comment pass.
Better to be hot or cold, not lukewarm.

If you will be honest with yourself for one moment you will have to admit that the RC church has fundamentally changed many of its beliefs over time, An example would be the early adoption of the Greek geocentric universe (not supported by scripture) which caused the problem with Galileo. The RC church then had to change its view.
We have changed some of our traditions, and not our beliefs, but have only clarified our beliefs. If you blame the Church for mistaking the geocentrism, you might as well blame Luther too, for in his writings he does not encourage science and also would have rejected Galileo.
The last Pope seemed to be dabbling with the acceptance of a form of theistic evolution, which certainly was not accepted in the past. This is the sort of problem you get yourself into if your belief set is human (Popes are human) orientated rather than scripture based.
The great thing about our faith is that, with regards to such issues one may disagree with the Pope. It is only on faith and morals that you may not.

The trinity is clearly indicated, Popes are not. There is no indication in scripture that there was a chief 'overseer' in Rome (or anywhere else) who was meant to be in charge of the whole church. In fact all scriptural references are against there being any overall chief. 'Christ is the head of the Church'.
Yes, the indications of the trinity go back to Genesis, but I said the word, the very word TRINITY, its not there, its nowhere in scripture.

So according to your interpretation, you call no one, not even your Dad, "father"? Obviously your over-literal reading has serious limitations.

The Pope's title is "servant of the servants of God"

regards,

Gordon.[/QUOTE]

Lord Insane said:
One more funny thing - in the second century two sites competed about beeing the burial place for mr.Peter : St.Sebastiano on the Appian way and the other was the supposed tomb on vatican hill. It seems that the life and whereabouts of mr. Peter is clouded in a lot of uncertainty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M*W: Lord Insane, it seems you are quite sure Mr. Peter never set foot in Rome. I am interested in your belief, even though I have set foot in the dungeon where Mr. Peter was imprisoned. I just don't believe that Mr. Peter was Jesus' choice (Jesus didn't exist, either), so why should I believe in a Mr. Peter??? No one shouldn't. Mr. Peter is also referred to as the planet Jupiter, who did live and thrive in Rome. When Jesus says, "get thee behind me, Satan," he was referring to the planet Jupiter going behind the Sun. There is no christian religion, only christian astrology!!! Hear me now, believe me later!

Provita said:
Matthew 16: 13 - 20 (New American Bible)

Mainly verses 18 - 20:

18 And so I say to you, you are Peter (also translated as rock), and upon this rock I will build my Church, and in the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

It is said that this is Jesus' giving Peter the authority as the first Pope... but, when the oldest greek texts found are examined... the word "rock" does not match up with the word "Peter" so that he is not saying "Peter, you are the rock that I shall build my Church upon" but rather "Peter, upon this rock *points to a rock next to them* you will build my Church."

This may be just a mistake copied down when the texts were being passed, but this also may be exact to the original... if so, the entire Papacy is not truley infallible!

Anyone like to comment? Cause this has always made me wonder... does anyone know anymore about this?

Oh, and please dont come into here and go "God doesnt exist" or "jesus was a conman!" Participate in the topic at hand or post in some other topic...
It is also said that Peter took it upon himself to interpret his masters words in ways that suited him and that Christianity is mostly his doing rather than Jesus’ who was against organized and authoritarian religion.

Back