Peter's Confession about Jesus

Provita

Provita
Registered Senior Member
Matthew 16: 13 - 20 (New American Bible)

Mainly verses 18 - 20:

18 And so I say to you, you are Peter (also translated as rock), and upon this rock I will build my Church, and in the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

It is said that this is Jesus' giving Peter the authority as the first Pope... but, when the oldest greek texts found are examined... the word "rock" does not match up with the word "Peter" so that he is not saying "Peter, you are the rock that I shall build my Church upon" but rather "Peter, upon this rock *points to a rock next to them* you will build my Church."

This may be just a mistake copied down when the texts were being passed, but this also may be exact to the original... if so, the entire Papacy is not truley infallible!

Anyone like to comment? Cause this has always made me wonder... does anyone know anymore about this?

Oh, and please dont come into here and go "God doesnt exist" or "jesus was a conman!" Participate in the topic at hand or post in some other topic...

Provita said:
if so, the entire Papacy is not truley infallible!

Anyone like to comment? Cause this has always made me wonder... does anyone know anymore about this?
Of course the papacy is fallible. Nothing. Is. Infallible. No exceptions.
But what matters is that they've been able to convince nearly two billion people that they are infallible, and thus maintain a degree of influence over a LARGE portion of the population.
Crazy buggers with thier weird hats. :p

Well, it seems like it would only matter if you were Catholic. I suppose this would be a boon for protestants and that Catholics will dismiss it as herasy?

Thanks Lord Insane, oh and Michael, if it is right then the Pope is infallible (when speaking of doctrines) so most Protestant churches are somewhat wrong, but if it is wrong then the Pope is fallible thus disproving Catholicism and some Protestant churches that listen to the Pope... so it is important to atleast some of Christianity.

I was just wondering on people's views of this.

Provita said:

Mainly verses 18 - 20:
18 And so I say to you, you are Peter (also translated as rock), and upon this rock I will build my Church, and in the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

It is said that this is Jesus' giving Peter the authority as the first Pope... but, when the oldest greek texts found are examined... the word "rock" does not match up with the word "Peter" so that he is not saying "Peter, you are the rock that I shall build my Church upon" but rather "Peter, upon this rock *points to a rock next to them* you will build my Church."

This may be just a mistake copied down when the texts were being passed, but this also may be exact to the original... if so, the entire Papacy is not truley infallible! Anyone like to comment? Cause this has always made me wonder... does anyone know anymore about this?...

Jesus had been doing many miracles, and some of the people belived he was Elijah, Jerimiah, or perhaps one of the prophets...
So He asked Peter who do YOU say that I am?
When he replied "thou art the Christ, the son of the living God":,
Jesus told him; "flesh and blood did not REVEAL this to you, but the Father in heaven hath REVEALED it.

He said, "Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona, for flesh and blood hasn't revealed this to you. You never took some man's theology about it. You never learned it in a seminary.
But My Father, which is in heaven, has revealed it to you.
And upon this rock..." What rock? The spiritual revelation of God manifesting Himself to the individual. "Upon this rock I'll build My Church, and the gates of hell can't prevail against It."

You can understand some spirtual things with the carnal mind because they are logical, or make sense, but most of the mysteries of the kingdom are only understood by the Spirit of God REVEALING it to you, revealed by the Father to an individual son.
This is the rock......that Jesus was referring to that the gates of Hell could never prevail against.
The rock is a revealation of who God is, and as faith is a revelation, when you understand who God is, that He is one God.....God above us, God with us and God in us, and the spiritual principle of God revealing His truth as spiritual mysteries directly to an individual, thats what His church is built upon.
Preceipt on preceipt, line upon line......
You can't give your revelation to someone else, they have to get it for themselves from the same One you got it from.
Directly from the Father.
The foolish will come and say to the wise...."Give us of your oil".
Oil being the Spirit, and with it comes revelation....but they will tell them "go and get it for yourselves"

Thats what the true church is built upon.

Now, watch. Now, the Catholic church says that He built the church upon Peter. That's wrong.
The Protestant church says He built it upon Himself. Thats wrong.
He built it upon the spiritual revelation of Who He was, because He said, "Blessed art thou Simon, son of Jonas; flesh and blood has not revealed this to you.
I say thou art Simon, upon this rock (What rock? The revelation.)
I will build My church, and the gates of hell cannot prevail against it."
Jesus not revealing the mysteries to the multitudes or wanting to point to Himself said baptise in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Why did Peter do with the revelation of God given him, having the keys to the Kingdom.?
There is not one place in the Bible where any persons was ever baptized in the Name of Father, Son, Holy Ghost.
Then when Peter standing present when Matthew 28 was quoted, and turned around, and ten days later, with that revelation, and baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Thats spiritual revealation of the Father to the individual, not taught by the schools of organized religions, but something revealed fresh to you.
That can't be taken from you by man's reasoning or cunning words, because it wasn't given to you by man wisdom, but was given by God.

Some people will say; "Well, I'll take what Jesus said, not what Peter said."
If they were contrary one to another, what are we going to do?
If it all ain't God, what part of the Bible is right?
It's all got to coincide and come together, and only the revelation of God.
Our schools will never teach it. It's a revelation that you must see it.

Now, the Catholics says, "Upon Peter, the rock (little stone)." And the Protestant said, "Upon Christ, the Rock." Not to be different, but it was upon the revelation that Peter had Who He was. "No man can come to Me," said Jesus, "except My Father draws him; and all the Father has given Me will come to Me."
Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father which is in heaven.
Abel by faith in God offered a more excellent sacrifice.
And the carnal believer thought that it was the works of his own hands, and his fruits and his beautiful offering that he brought, that God would recognize, and it made a clash.

When the carnal and the spiritual meets, there's always a clash.
When Judas and Jesus met, there was a clash: One the Son of God; the other one the son of Satan.
Just like Cain and Abel, there was a clash when they met.
Now, we come in this day to the same thing again: the carnal denomination to the spiritual Bride of Christ.
The spiritual Bride of Christ is so much different from the carnal organizations till there's no comparison in them at all.

The natural always tries to type the spiritual. But as in Jacob and Esau, it will not work.
Now, when it come to doing good works, I believe that Esau actually was a better man than Jacob in the sight of men.
But Jacob, his whole soul was to get that birthright, and that's what God recognized in him spiritual.
And it's always caused the natural to hate the spiritual.
It caused Cain to hate Abel; it caused Korah to hate Moses; it caused Judas to hate Jesus; and on and on it goes. It causes the natural to hate the spiritual.

There you find a foundation, something that cannot be moved, finding there the Holy Spirit living His life in human beings, manifesting Himself to the world. And it makes men thirst for Him: unshakable, undisputable, the Word of God manifested and showing Himself, the Word itself being lived out through human life. What a wonderful thing. There's nothing uncertain about that. You can see where God made a promise, and here it is being made manifest. Hundreds of years ago the prophets spoke of it, and here we see it coming to pass.

Thats the rock His church is built upon that can never fail.

Last edited:
Provita said:

Mainly verses 18 - 20:

This may be just a mistake copied down when the texts were being passed, but this also may be exact to the original... if so, the entire Papacy is not truley infallible!

Oh, and please dont come into here and go "God doesnt exist" or "jesus was a conman!" Participate in the topic at hand or post in some other topic...

You have opened a discussion on two different matters.

1)Peter and His validity as being the leader of the post Jesus Body of Christ.

2)And the claim of apostolic succession of the catholic popes.

Peter was definitely given authority over the Body of Christ to establish teachings under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus made no claim that the position Peter held would be just the first, having a succession of men after him to be leader of the Body of Christ. Jesus said Peter was the one who would establish

Matthew 16
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

So the power was given to Peter to bind and to loose and to no one else. There was no successor to Peter who had the authority that Peter had. No one can remove what Peter put in place and no one can add new things to what Peter established. Peter was tasked with the Job and He did the Job. The Job was finished with Peter there was no need for any successors.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

*just acctually read these responses, along with wanting to restart this topic to see what the new guys had to day* Interesting responses Adstar and TheVisitor, both are very good and well in-depth interpretations of the verses!!

I would like the new people to also comment on this discussion, if possible, for it is a way to discuss your beloved Scripture...

Actually, I look at it this way. The Pope was infallible when Peter was Pope, but since then we have had saints, sinners, conmen, and theologians. The infallibility left when Peter dies and became the guardian at the gate. Oh and in greek Peter and Rock are not similiar, but who is to say they weren't in Hebrew, Aramaic, Nazarene or any of a multitude of other languages at the time. Hell for all we know Peter's surname could have been the one similar to rock or perhaps back when he was a soldier years before he met Jesus that he didn;t have the nickname of rock.

Good point! Never even thought of that! I was thinking too narrowly to Greek, but completely forgot the simple fact that his name was Hebrew.

Provita said:

Mainly verses 18 - 20:

Nice, real nice.....a classic protestant protest. A sad attempt to make the papacy seem invalid.

Why would Jesus point to a rock and say this? If Jesus meant only to Peter that he was going to build a church in that place, why would Peter later feel so bad about denying Jesus? Why do we not find a tradition with a Church on that site? Afterall, there are churches on just about every other site mentioned in scripture.

Do you think that a loving and merciful God would just leave his flock down upon the bloody earth without putting someone else in charge for him?

Furthermore, why does Peter appear as so great an authority in Acts that he must but heads with Paul? Why does Peter in his confession of Christ even go to Rome and get crucified there as a martyr?

[/QUOTE]

Some simple facts.

Peter's original name was the Hebrew which we transliterate in English to Simon. The standard language in the Roman Empire in Jesus' time was Koyne Greek (not Latin whatever the producers of 'The Passion' might have thought). Jesus uses a sort of Greek pun to change the Greek for rock (petra) into the name Petros or Peter in English. Contrary to what many seem to believe, Jesus seemed to enjoy little jokes!

Clearly Peter played a very important role in setting up the early church and is always considered as the greatest of the original apostles in this regard(Paul was not of course an an original apostle although he is considered an eye witness). So certainly Peter was a rock on which the church was built (with or without any mystical knowledge).

Peter was never a Bishop of Rome or anywhere else. There is no word for 'bishop' anywhere in the Bible. You have to change 'elder' to 'bishop'. There were 'elders' in Judaism but bishops only really came later in christianityfor functional administration of large groups of churches. So you start out with a slightly false premise. It then gets worse.

The supposed apostolic succession from Peter through all the Popes is totally false and was proven to be so many hundreds of years ago.

Consider the following:

Modern Popes cannot be successors of apostles because they are not eyewitnesses of Christ, they do not possess miraculous powers, they cannot impart such powers to others, and they are not directly guided by the Spirit. They possess none of the unique qualifications of apostles!

How then does a man become Pope today? He is chosen by a body of men called Cardinals. Yet the Catholic Dictionary admits: "For a long time there was no such thing as a cardinal bishop..." It claims the first such men were named in 304 AD. Finally, a council in 1059 AD "decreed that Popes should henceforth be elected on the judgment of the six cardinal bishops..." (p. 118).

The Catholic Church claims that the succession of Popes is a chain that connects the modern church to the first-century church. But Popes were unknown in the Bible, Peter was not a Pope, modern Popes have none of the essential qualifications of the apostles they are supposed to succeed, and it is admitted that there are times at which no one knows who was Pope. Furthermore, the men who select the Pope were unknown in the Bible and in history for centuries after the church began. And the modern means of selecting Popes was not determined until a millennium after the church began! The whole "chain" is missing!

I am sorry but the whole thing is simply historical Roman Catholic dogma. It has nothing to do with scripture and true christian beliefs.

regards,

Gordon.

1. Matthew 16:18: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the powers of death shall not prevail against it."

The rock (Greek, petra) referred to here is St. Peter himself, not his faith or Jesus Christ. Christ appears here not as the foundation, but as the architect who "builds." The Church is built, not on confessions, but on confessors - living men (see, e.g., 1 Pet 2:5). Today, the overwhelming consensus of the great majority of all biblical scholars and commentators is in favor of the traditional Catholic understanding. Here St. Peter is spoken of as the foundation-stone of the Church, making him head and superior of the family of God (i.e., the seed of the doctrine of the papacy). Moreover, Rock embodies a metaphor applied to him by Christ in a sense analogous to the suffering and despised Messiah (1 Pet 2:4-8; cf. Mt 21:42). Without a solid foundation a house falls. St. Peter is the foundation, but not founder of the Church, administrator, but not Lord of the Church. The Good Shepherd (John 10:11) gives us other shepherds as well (Eph 4:11).

2. Matthew 16:19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven . . ."

The "power of the keys" has to do with ecclesiastical discipline and administrative authority with regard to the requirements of the faith, as in Isaiah 22:22 (cf. Is 9:6; Job 12:14; Rev 3:7). From this power flows the use of censures, excommunication, absolution, baptismal discipline, the imposition of penances, and legislative powers. In the Old Testament a steward, or prime minister is a man who is "over a house" (Gen 41:40; 43:19; 44:4; 1 Ki 4:6; 16:9; 18:3; 2 Ki 10:5; 15:5; 18:18; Is 22:15,20-21).

3. Matthew 16:19 ". . . whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

"Binding" and "loosing" were technical rabbinical terms, which meant to "forbid" and "permit" with reference to the interpretation of the law, and secondarily to "condemn" or "place under the ban" or "acquit." Thus, St. Peter and the popes are given the authority to determine the rules for doctrine and life, by virtue of revelation and the Spirit's leading (Jn 16:13), and to demand obedience from the
Church. "Binding and loosing" represent the legislative and judicial powers of the papacy and the bishops (Mt 18:17-18; Jn 20:23). St. Peter, however, is the only apostle who receives these powers by name and in the singular, making him preeminent.

4. Peter's name occurs first in all lists of apostles (Mt 10:2; Mk 3:16; Lk 6:14; Acts 1:13). Matthew even calls him the "first" (10:2). Judas Iscariot is invariably mentioned last.

5. Peter is almost without exception named first whenever he appears with anyone else. In one (only?) example to the contrary, Galatians 2:9, where he ("Cephas") is listed after James and before John, he is clearly preeminent in the entire context (e.g., 1:18-19; 2:7-8).

6. Peter alone among the apostles receives a new name, Rock, solemnly conferred (Jn 1:42; Mt 16:18).

7. Likewise, Peter is regarded by Jesus as the Chief Shepherd after Himself (Jn 21:15-17), singularly by name, and over the universal Church, even though others have a similar but subordinate role (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet 5:2).

8. Peter alone among the apostles is mentioned by name as having been prayed for by Jesus Christ in order that his "faith may not fail" (Lk 22:32).

9. Peter alone among the apostles is exhorted by Jesus to "strengthen your brethren" (Lk 22:32).

10. Peter first confesses Christ's divinity (Mt 16:16).

11. Peter alone is told that he has received divine knowledge by a special revelation (Mt 16:17).

12. Peter is regarded by the Jews (Acts 4:1-13) as the leader and spokesman of Christianity.

13. Peter is regarded by the common people in the same way (Acts 2:37-41; 5:15).

14. Jesus Christ uniquely associates Himself and Peter in the miracle of the tribute-money (Mt 17:24-27).

15. Christ teaches from Peter's boat, and the miraculous catch of fish follows (Lk 5:1-11): perhaps a metaphor for the pope as a "fisher of men" (cf. Mt 4:19).

16. Peter was the first apostle to set out for, and enter the empty tomb (Lk 24:12; Jn 20:6).

17. Peter is specified by an angel as the leader and representative of the apostles (Mk 16:7).

18. Peter leads the apostles in fishing (Jn 21:2-3,11). The "bark" (boat) of Peter has been regarded by Catholics as a figure of the Church, with Peter at the helm.

19. Peter alone casts himself into the sea to come to Jesus (Jn 21:7).

20. Peter's words are the first recorded and most important in the upper room before Pentecost (Acts 1:15-22).

21. Peter takes the lead in calling for a replacement for Judas (Acts 1:22).

22. Peter is the first person to speak (and only one recorded) after Pentecost, so he was the first Christian to "preach the gospel" in the Church era (Acts 2:14-36).

23. Peter works the first miracle of the Church Age, healing a lame man (Acts 3:6-12).

24. Peter utters the first anathema (Ananias and Sapphira) emphatically affirmed by God (Acts 5:2-11)!

25. Peter's shadow works miracles (Acts 5:15).

26. Peter is the first person after Christ to raise the dead (Acts 9:40).

27. Cornelius is told by an angel to seek out Peter for instruction in Christianity (Acts 10:1-6).

28. Peter is the first to receive the Gentiles, after a revelation from God (Acts 10:9-48).

29. Peter instructs the other apostles on the catholicity (universality) of the Church (Acts 11:5-17).

30. Peter is the object of the first divine interposition on behalf of an individual in the Church Age (an angel delivers him from prison - Acts 12:1-17).

31. The whole Church (strongly implied) offers "earnest prayer" for Peter when he is imprisoned (Acts 12:5).

32. Peter presides over and opens the first Council of Christianity, and lays down principles afterwards accepted by it (Acts 15:7-11).

33. Paul distinguishes the Lord's post-Resurrection appearances to Peter from those to other apostles (1 Cor 15:4-8). The two disciples on the road to Emmaus make the same distinction (Lk 24:34), in this instance mentioning only Peter ("Simon"), even though they themselves had just seen the risen Jesus within the previous hour (Lk 24:33).

34. Peter is often spoken of as distinct among apostles (Mk 1:36; Lk 9:28,32; Acts 2:37; 5:29; 1 Cor 9:5).

35. Peter is often spokesman for the other apostles, especially at climactic moments (Mk 8:29; Mt 18:21; Lk 9:5; 12:41; Jn 6:67 ff.).

36. Peter's name is always the first listed of the "inner circle" of the disciples (Peter, James and John - Mt 17:1; 26:37,40; Mk 5:37; 14:37).

37. Peter is often the central figure relating to Jesus in dramatic gospel scenes such as walking on the water (Mt 14:28-32; Lk 5:1 ff., Mk 10:28; Mt 17:24 ff.).

38. Peter is the first to recognize and refute heresy, in Simon Magus (Acts 8:14-24).

39. Peter's name is mentioned more often than all the other disciples put together: 191 times (162 as Peter or Simon Peter, 23 as Simon, and 6 as Cephas). John is next in frequency with only 48 appearances, and Peter is present 50% of the time we find John in the Bible! Archbishop Fulton Sheen reckoned that all the other disciples combined were mentioned 130 times. If this is correct, Peter is named a remarkable 60% of the time any disciple is referred to!

40. Peter's proclamation at Pentecost (Acts 2:14-41) contains a fully authoritative interpretation of Scripture, a doctrinal decision and a disciplinary decree concerning members of the "House of Israel" (2:36) - an example of "binding and loosing."

41. Peter was the first "charismatic", having judged authoritatively the first instance of the gift of tongues as genuine (Acts 2:14-21).

42. Peter is the first to preach Christian repentance and baptism (Acts 2:38).

43. Peter (presumably) takes the lead in the first recorded mass baptism (Acts 2:41).

44. Peter commanded the first Gentile Christians to be baptized (Acts 10:44-48).

45. Peter was the first traveling missionary, and first exercised what would now be called "visitation of the churches" (Acts 9:32-38,43). Paul preached at Damascus immediately after his conversion (Acts 9:20), but hadn't traveled there for that purpose (God changed his plans!). His missionary journeys begin in Acts 13:2.

46. Paul went to Jerusalem specifically to see Peter for fifteen days in the beginning of his ministry (Gal 1:18), and was commissioned by Peter, James and John (Gal 2:9) to preach to the Gentiles.

47. Peter acts, by strong implication, as the chief bishop/shepherd of the Church (1 Pet 5:1), since he exhorts all the other bishops, or "elders."

48. Peter interprets prophecy (2 Pet 1:16-21).

49. Peter corrects those who misuse Paul's writings (2 Pet 3:15-16).

50. Peter wrote his first epistle from Rome, according to most scholars, as its bishop, and as the universal bishop (or, pope) of the early Church. "Babylon" (1 Pet 5:13) is regarded as code for Rome.

Lawdog said:
1. Matthew 16:18: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the powers of death shall not prevail against it."

The rock (Greek, petra) referred to here is St. Peter himself, not his faith or Jesus Christ. Christ appears here not as the foundation, but as the architect who "builds." The Church is built, not on confessions, but on confessors - living men (see, e.g., 1 Pet 2:5). Today, the overwhelming consensus of the great majority of all biblical scholars and commentators is in favor of the traditional Catholic understanding. Here St. Peter is spoken of as the foundation-stone of the Church, making him head and superior of the family of God (i.e., the seed of the doctrine of the papacy). Moreover, Rock embodies a metaphor applied to him by Christ in a sense analogous to the suffering and despised Messiah (1 Pet 2:4-8; cf. Mt 21:42). Without a solid foundation a house falls. St. Peter is the foundation, but not founder of the Church, administrator, but not Lord of the Church. The Good Shepherd (John 10:11) gives us other shepherds as well (Eph 4:11).

2. Matthew 16:19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven . . ."

The "power of the keys" has to do with ecclesiastical discipline and administrative authority with regard to the requirements of the faith, as in Isaiah 22:22 (cf. Is 9:6; Job 12:14; Rev 3:7). From this power flows the use of censures, excommunication, absolution, baptismal discipline, the imposition of penances, and legislative powers. In the Old Testament a steward, or prime minister is a man who is "over a house" (Gen 41:40; 43:19; 44:4; 1 Ki 4:6; 16:9; 18:3; 2 Ki 10:5; 15:5; 18:18; Is 22:15,20-21).

3. Matthew 16:19 ". . . whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

"Binding" and "loosing" were technical rabbinical terms, which meant to "forbid" and "permit" with reference to the interpretation of the law, and secondarily to "condemn" or "place under the ban" or "acquit." Thus, St. Peter and the popes are given the authority to determine the rules for doctrine and life, by virtue of revelation and the Spirit's leading (Jn 16:13), and to demand obedience from the
Church. "Binding and loosing" represent the legislative and judicial powers of the papacy and the bishops (Mt 18:17-18; Jn 20:23). St. Peter, however, is the only apostle who receives these powers by name and in the singular, making him preeminent.

4. Peter's name occurs first in all lists of apostles (Mt 10:2; Mk 3:16; Lk 6:14; Acts 1:13). Matthew even calls him the "first" (10:2). Judas Iscariot is invariably mentioned last.

5. Peter is almost without exception named first whenever he appears with anyone else. In one (only?) example to the contrary, Galatians 2:9, where he ("Cephas") is listed after James and before John, he is clearly preeminent in the entire context (e.g., 1:18-19; 2:7-8).

6. Peter alone among the apostles receives a new name, Rock, solemnly conferred (Jn 1:42; Mt 16:18).

7. Likewise, Peter is regarded by Jesus as the Chief Shepherd after Himself (Jn 21:15-17), singularly by name, and over the universal Church, even though others have a similar but subordinate role (Acts 20:28; 1 Pet 5:2).

8. Peter alone among the apostles is mentioned by name as having been prayed for by Jesus Christ in order that his "faith may not fail" (Lk 22:32).

9. Peter alone among the apostles is exhorted by Jesus to "strengthen your brethren" (Lk 22:32).

10. Peter first confesses Christ's divinity (Mt 16:16).

11. Peter alone is told that he has received divine knowledge by a special revelation (Mt 16:17).

12. Peter is regarded by the Jews (Acts 4:1-13) as the leader and spokesman of Christianity.

13. Peter is regarded by the common people in the same way (Acts 2:37-41; 5:15).

14. Jesus Christ uniquely associates Himself and Peter in the miracle of the tribute-money (Mt 17:24-27).

15. Christ teaches from Peter's boat, and the miraculous catch of fish follows (Lk 5:1-11): perhaps a metaphor for the pope as a "fisher of men" (cf. Mt 4:19).

16. Peter was the first apostle to set out for, and enter the empty tomb (Lk 24:12; Jn 20:6).

17. Peter is specified by an angel as the leader and representative of the apostles (Mk 16:7).

18. Peter leads the apostles in fishing (Jn 21:2-3,11). The "bark" (boat) of Peter has been regarded by Catholics as a figure of the Church, with Peter at the helm.

19. Peter alone casts himself into the sea to come to Jesus (Jn 21:7).

20. Peter's words are the first recorded and most important in the upper room before Pentecost (Acts 1:15-22).

21. Peter takes the lead in calling for a replacement for Judas (Acts 1:22).

22. Peter is the first person to speak (and only one recorded) after Pentecost, so he was the first Christian to "preach the gospel" in the Church era (Acts 2:14-36).

23. Peter works the first miracle of the Church Age, healing a lame man (Acts 3:6-12).

24. Peter utters the first anathema (Ananias and Sapphira) emphatically affirmed by God (Acts 5:2-11)!

25. Peter's shadow works miracles (Acts 5:15).

26. Peter is the first person after Christ to raise the dead (Acts 9:40).

27. Cornelius is told by an angel to seek out Peter for instruction in Christianity (Acts 10:1-6).

28. Peter is the first to receive the Gentiles, after a revelation from God (Acts 10:9-48).

29. Peter instructs the other apostles on the catholicity (universality) of the Church (Acts 11:5-17).

30. Peter is the object of the first divine interposition on behalf of an individual in the Church Age (an angel delivers him from prison - Acts 12:1-17).

31. The whole Church (strongly implied) offers "earnest prayer" for Peter when he is imprisoned (Acts 12:5).

32. Peter presides over and opens the first Council of Christianity, and lays down principles afterwards accepted by it (Acts 15:7-11).

33. Paul distinguishes the Lord's post-Resurrection appearances to Peter from those to other apostles (1 Cor 15:4-8). The two disciples on the road to Emmaus make the same distinction (Lk 24:34), in this instance mentioning only Peter ("Simon"), even though they themselves had just seen the risen Jesus within the previous hour (Lk 24:33).

34. Peter is often spoken of as distinct among apostles (Mk 1:36; Lk 9:28,32; Acts 2:37; 5:29; 1 Cor 9:5).

35. Peter is often spokesman for the other apostles, especially at climactic moments (Mk 8:29; Mt 18:21; Lk 9:5; 12:41; Jn 6:67 ff.).

36. Peter's name is always the first listed of the "inner circle" of the disciples (Peter, James and John - Mt 17:1; 26:37,40; Mk 5:37; 14:37).

37. Peter is often the central figure relating to Jesus in dramatic gospel scenes such as walking on the water (Mt 14:28-32; Lk 5:1 ff., Mk 10:28; Mt 17:24 ff.).

38. Peter is the first to recognize and refute heresy, in Simon Magus (Acts 8:14-24).

39. Peter's name is mentioned more often than all the other disciples put together: 191 times (162 as Peter or Simon Peter, 23 as Simon, and 6 as Cephas). John is next in frequency with only 48 appearances, and Peter is present 50% of the time we find John in the Bible! Archbishop Fulton Sheen reckoned that all the other disciples combined were mentioned 130 times. If this is correct, Peter is named a remarkable 60% of the time any disciple is referred to!

40. Peter's proclamation at Pentecost (Acts 2:14-41) contains a fully authoritative interpretation of Scripture, a doctrinal decision and a disciplinary decree concerning members of the "House of Israel" (2:36) - an example of "binding and loosing."

41. Peter was the first "charismatic", having judged authoritatively the first instance of the gift of tongues as genuine (Acts 2:14-21).

42. Peter is the first to preach Christian repentance and baptism (Acts 2:38).

43. Peter (presumably) takes the lead in the first recorded mass baptism (Acts 2:41).

44. Peter commanded the first Gentile Christians to be baptized (Acts 10:44-48).

45. Peter was the first traveling missionary, and first exercised what would now be called "visitation of the churches" (Acts 9:32-38,43). Paul preached at Damascus immediately after his conversion (Acts 9:20), but hadn't traveled there for that purpose (God changed his plans!). His missionary journeys begin in Acts 13:2.

46. Paul went to Jerusalem specifically to see Peter for fifteen days in the beginning of his ministry (Gal 1:18), and was commissioned by Peter, James and John (Gal 2:9) to preach to the Gentiles.

47. Peter acts, by strong implication, as the chief bishop/shepherd of the Church (1 Pet 5:1), since he exhorts all the other bishops, or "elders."

48. Peter interprets prophecy (2 Pet 1:16-21).

49. Peter corrects those who misuse Paul's writings (2 Pet 3:15-16).

50. Peter wrote his first epistle from Rome, according to most scholars, as its bishop, and as the universal bishop (or, pope) of the early Church. "Babylon" (1 Pet 5:13) is regarded as code for Rome.
It is good that you have spent so much time studying the bible. You will get your reward for such devotion in heaven.

Gordon said:
Some simple facts.

Peter's original name was the Hebrew which we transliterate in English to Simon. The standard language in the Roman Empire in Jesus' time was Koyne Greek (not Latin whatever the producers of 'The Passion' might have thought).
Koine, (which you transliterated incorrectly) Greek was used among commoners and intellectuals. Latin was used by the occupying Romans. Everyone knows that occupying armies speak do not abandon their native tongue. Jews would be expected to speak Latin to the Roman soldiery.
Peter was never a Bishop of Rome or anywhere else. There is no word for 'bishop' anywhere in the Bible. You have to change 'elder' to 'bishop'. There were 'elders' in Judaism but bishops only really came later in christianityfor functional administration of large groups of churches. So you start out with a slightly false premise. It then gets worse.
You dont know Greek do you....? the Grk word episcopus "overseer" was slurred in the Latin and western usage to "Bishop"

The supposed apostolic succession from Peter through all the Popes is totally false and was proven to be so many hundreds of years ago.
No it was not, you have believed lies.

Consider the following:

Modern Popes cannot be successors of apostles because they are not eyewitnesses of Christ, they do not possess miraculous powers, they cannot impart such powers to others, and they are not directly guided by the Spirit. They possess none of the unique qualifications of apostles!
Modern Popes do not have to be eyewitnesses or have miraculous powers in order to hold the office of successor of Peter. Unlike the heresiarchs and gurus that your false christianity adheres to, we do not simply make declarations and claim that "the spirit guided me", no anyoner that would believe that is naive. The Church speaks authoritatively as one voice together, The Pope in union with the Cardinals.

How then does a man become Pope today? He is chosen by a body of men called Cardinals. Yet the Catholic Dictionary admits: "For a long time there was no such thing as a cardinal bishop..." It claims the first such men were named in 304 AD. Finally, a council in 1059 AD "decreed that Popes should henceforth be elected on the judgment of the six cardinal bishops..." (p. 118).
Your premise is that the Church cannot evolve or change or make hierarchic descisions appropriate for the age. Another false premise.

The Catholic Church claims that the succession of Popes is a chain that connects the modern church to the first-century church. But Popes were unknown in the Bible, Peter was not a Pope, modern Popes have none of the essential qualifications of the apostles they are supposed to succeed, and it is admitted that there are times at which no one knows who was Pope. Furthermore, the men who select the Pope were unknown in the Bible and in history for centuries after the church began. And the modern means of selecting Popes was not determined until a millennium after the church began! The whole "chain" is missing!
The word Pope was not used in the bible, but nor is the word Trinity among many other essential words. Up until the early medieval times he was merely called the Bishop of Rome. Pope means "papa" and endearing title.

imaplanck. said:
It is good that you have spent so much time studying the bible. You will get your reward for such devotion in heaven.
If You have nothing to add, why post?

Lawdog said:
If You have nothing to add, why post?
Because religion is nothing more than a corruption on intellectual thinking and invites mockery with its pseudo-intellectual undertaking, if nothing else. :)

Lawdog said:

The rock (Greek, petra) referred to here is St. Peter himself...

Then why does the greek word for rock, yes it is petra (easily remembered in Greek class cause of petrolium :p ) , appear in the dative case, which translates as if to mean "the rock next to me" ? He was speaking directly to Peter, so if Peter was the rock, their cases would agree, simple rule. "You (nominative, unless its understood in the verb) are Peter (nominative, agreeing with you), and on this rock (dative, not agreeing with peter whatsoever by instead, when understood like most greek, means basically "this rock right next to us") I will build my chuch (accusative) ... etc.

Gordon said:
Contrary to what many seem to believe, Jesus seemed to enjoy little jokes!

Well, God does have a sense of humor. Just go to walmart and look at people, you will understand.

you fellas might be interested to know that only in english speaking countries is the pope called the pope.

therefore, translations of what the title means...ultimately means nothing.
here in belgium, he is called "paus", which has no connection to the word "papa" at all.

Lawdog said:

Dear lawdog .......

Peter is certainly mentioned in the bible.........

Hoever the NT is totally silent about Mr. Peter beeing in Rome !!!!!!!

Whoever - apart from fanatic christians trying to alter facts - believe that Babylon is a code for Rome ?????

So , when it is NOT mentioned in the NT - then we try the writings of Clement,Ignatius of Antioch,Irenaeus of Lyon, Eusebius and Tertullian :
Well according to them, mr. Peter DID live in Rome and was crucified as a martyr (about year 66) in the last years of the rule of Nero (Nero died in year 68) ........
What do these people claim of the bishops of Rome :
1) the first bishop of Rome was Linus (year 66 - 78)
2) the second bishop of Rome was Anacletus (year 79 - 91) , and he was
inaugerated by mr. Peter himself in year 79 (Mr. Peter was crucified in year 66, but by a miracle he was alive again in year 79 to appoint Anacletus) ....

Something smells here - who let the dog out (bark,bark) to shit on the lawn .... dammed lawndog ....

Back